TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Memoirs of a Dead God (Thief 2 Mission - 29th Nov 2008)

Have you been to the master bedroom? If so, look closely at the intray on the desk.

Thanks Nicked. One good thing , while looking I found the secret Benny objective.

The words escape me! This brought it all back: the untainted joy of playing Thief for the first time, the total immersion and not being able to stop until I had finished. Amazing!

I felt the same way with this mission! I tested it and must have played it at least a hundred times and it felt the same every time!

I was pretty much stunned when I was done. It started out as a rather standard mansion mission and I was thinking to myself how the author would make it fun to revisit the place. Then when I started playing part 2 I soon realized that this was going to be a whole other experience compared to part 1 If only the OMs Case the joint and Masks could have been like this...

I usually don't like huge mansions, because they tend to get way too repetitive (with room after room looking quite the same), but this mansion had a lot of variation (even in part 1) and also challenging guards with some alternative routes here and there.

It was also great to read all the updated diaries and people referring to "the darn thief". I liked the Alice in wonderland/The Sword-references playing with scale. I couldn't help but smile like a fool when running around in that gigantic/small kitchen.

The ending suggests a sequel!?

The ending felt a little anticlimactic now that I think about it (not being stunned anymore). I had gone through so much trouble finding that book and then I just waltzed out with it. Maybe part 2 could have ended right after I picked up the book!?

Another thought is about the book's voice that felt like meta-references as if the author commented his/her own work: "You really didn't think it would end here, did you?" and something like "Look what I built here, I couldn't stop myself." (regarding the tunnel behind the vault).

The book's voice sounded like some country-singer, by the way, but the name escapes me...

Smashing Fan Mission

Just finished this one, and what an absorbing and imaginitive mission it was. Thanks Nick

Question on mission 2. I have been everywhere in the mansion, except the vault, the master bedroom, the garden and the passage in the armory. I can't find a key for the master bedroom or the garden. Do I have to go to the passage at the armory first? (afraid to do so cause I think there is no way back.)

Yes, you need to go through the armory to get the key to the master bedroom. You will have to use rope arrows to get back but it isn't hard. The key to the garden is in the garden but once you get to the master bedroom you will be able to get to the garden.

Of course I discovered what you said just after I posted, it's like a rule on this forum to do that.

Mission 2 question

I need help. I need to get back to the beginning of this mission since I don't have any rope arrows and to get to the vault. I can't remember which teleport I came through. The ones in the basement keep taking me either from basement to basement (no access to the wine cellar) or the bedroom upstairs. Can someone please tell me which teleport I need to go through? I think I missed one.

Thanks!

There are only those two teleporters. If you have the basement key you can go to the corridor with the kitchen and at the east end of that corridor is a metal door blocked by wooden boards. Open the door, break the boards and take a left. That will get you back to your cell and the vault.

If you don't have the basement key then you have to go back upstairs and drop down through the door in the floor that you came up out of to get back to the cell/vault area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    There are only those two teleporters. If you have the basement key you can go to the corridor with the kitchen and at the east end of that corridor is a metal door blocked by wooden boards. Open the door, break the boards and take a left. That will get you back to your cell and the vault.

If you don't have the basement key then you have to go back upstairs and drop down through the door in the floor that you came up out of to get back to the cell/vault area.
    Yeah, I don't have the basement key. I can't remember which door in the floor I came out of, though. Which room is is close to? Thanks.

It is in the corridor outside the second floor Drawing Room. Drop down through that door and then follow the tunnels to get to the Wine Cellar. There is a passage off the Wine Cellar that will take you to the Vault. Incidentally, the basement key is in the office at the end of that passage also.

Absolutely HATE the intro music (me being an old fuddy duddy and all).

But the mission itself is excellent, and the second half will be one of my most fondly remembered Thief experiences. High praise for the playfulness and imagination therein.
    Most enjoyable! Bravo!

Fuddy Duddy...

Anyway, I know this ones been up a while, but I think nicked needs one more congrats down the road, so...

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Rose View Post
    Absolutely HATE the intro music
    The risk one takes with any custom content! Personally I think Trent Reznor and Eric Brosius should get together and collaborate on some music. And it would be the Ultimate Music™. But each to their own! You can get rid of it by finding and removing metalp.wav from the mission zip file.

Mission 2: Vault Code

From mission 1 the Vault code is given as 7381 with the instructions to apply your fingerprint to the scanner first before keying in the numbers. I think
    I did this properly, but the vault door doesn't open.

It is not your fingerprint that you need to apply.

Hint: Surely you have seen some body parts somewhere.

I've only started the mission. No body parts found yet. The bodies of the monkey guard and human don't do the trick, so I guess I have to roam around a bit before I find what I'm looking for.

Oh no! Benny! Is there a way to warn him? I tried dropping the book everywhere it seemed reasonable....

Yes, there is. Try dropping the book on his bed. It will be the one nearest his journal iirc.

*sigh* I'm stuck yet again. I'm really liking this mission so far, but I'm stuck in mission 1. There have been hints that there's some kind of key I need in the upstairs drawing room, but I can't get to the upstairs drawing room! The only upstairs area I've been able to access (apart from the garden roof) led to some guards, a few rooms with terrariums in them and a locked door that I can't pick open. I assume this is the way to the drawing room? Halp!

The locked door is probably the master bedroom door? Until you can open the master bedroom, the two sides of the top floor are unconnected. The north side contains the drawing room. As such, you have to get to the stairs near the north-east of the house on the ground floor, north of the entrance hall. Go up these stairs and sneak west, and eventually you'll come to a big hall that's sort of this shape:

-----
    OO--
    -OO
    -----

There's a door to the upstairs drawing room in here. You'll know the drawing room when you find it because it has a fireplace, bookcase, and Lord Morego fast asleep. The key you want should be fairly obvious when you get in here.

Huh. . .I hadn't found any stairs, other than the ramp that leads up to the master bedroom. . I'll have to search the house harder. I thought I got everywhere, but I must have missed somerthing. I'm not a very good thief these days.

There's an automap so you can see where you've been!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast