TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thief Anniversary Contest - RELEASED!!!

Redemption should not have been included in the contest missions, this was a big (and stupid) mistake on my part!

It is a regular mission released in October, which I never noticed and found in my FTP upload folder only recently when I was checking for contest entries, and I just assumed it was in the contest.

So we're back down to 13 contest missions!

Also, the author of "Ashes and Dust" has contacted me - they were genuinely mixed up about the blue rooms rule and weren't trying to cheat or anything. They said that the blue room stuff can easily be moved inside the boundary space, and they are going to do that and send me and updated mission file. So it's all okay there.
    "For the Love of the Game"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadak View Post
    Also, the author of "Ashes and Dust" has contacted me - they were genuinely mixed up about the blue rooms rule and weren't trying to cheat or anything. They said that the blue room stuff can easily be moved inside the boundary space, and they are going to do that and send me and updated mission file. So it's all okay there.
    In that case I think many others will agree with me, that no need to introduce additional confusion with updated version of the mission. As long as you - organizers - judge that it can be packed in the 64^3 space and what happened was because of misunderstanding, I don't think anyone would demand new version. There always is some risk that new version will got some random Dromed bugs during fixing bluerooms (like some objects getting Deathstage12), so maybe no need to risk releasing new version? Don't you think? I think I would rather play the version I already have and just keep in mind that it's validated

And about Redemption - no problem, now when we know what's going on This accident will become part of Thief's community history

Keeper of FMs

I agree that there is no need to send out a new version if the contest admins are satisfied that the mission can indeed meet the criteria and if the changes would not alter game play in any way. It seems simpler to let it stand as is. Most players (myself included) won't know the difference.

I concur.

Those are good points but I already updated the file before I read them!

The file name is the same though and no one needs to re-download it or anything because the mission hasn't changed.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    is it really a good idea to have zip files with a comma in them?
    Quote Originally Posted by flying_hope View Post
    maybe linux user can have some problems with it
    been doing it for many years at the Keep, never heard of any problems with it
    I had problems with such a zip file a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) with Windows 98, but it hasn't happened again. Maybe some command-line tool did not like these commas.

I downloaded the contest missions with Linux right now and did not have any problem with the commas either. So, it does not seem to be important.

And a big "Thank you" to all the authors and the other people responsible for the contest! Players are notoriously hungry for new missions, and now it's feeding time!

bikerdude
    well I already know which TAC missions are in my top 3

1413 missions! The celebration of Thief continues! \o/

The only problem now is to find the time to play all of them and vote.

I wonder how many authors submitted more than entry?

(Contest hosts: Don't answer that, it's more fun to wonder! )
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 4th Dec 2008 at 05:44.

Keeper of FMs

I'm beginning to suspect there is more than one multi-entry author!

Hello all. Have only played one mission so far. I have not had any time this week for Thiefy things, you know real world and all that. I am however planning a Thief mega TAC weekend. I will post accordingly. A lovely turn out and a big thanks to the authers.

Keeper of FMs

I've finally had chance to play all the missions. Whew!! This is going to be a tough contest for the voters. There are some real jewels in this group and not a single mission that I didn't enjoy. Thanks to all!

Here are the basics for voting:

The Rating Categories

The rating categories have been streamlined and simplified to make things as easy and smooth as possible.

1. Design.......(beauty, technicality, layout, architecture, sound, use of space)
    2. Story.........(plot, humor, drama, twist)
    3. Game Play...(fun, sneaking, unique, puzzle solving, Thiefy feel)

You should rate each mission in each category on a scale of 0 to 10 (10 is the best)..

The ratings tabulation will count "Game Play" twice as strongly as the other two categories. So the final scores will reflect 50% weight on "Game Play", and 25% weight each on "Design" and "Story".

For example, if you gave a certain mission 5 Design, 5 Story, and 9 Game Play, that mission would end up with a better result than another mission that you rate 9 Design, 5 Story, and 5 Game Play. This reflects the general consensus that game play is the most important factor in mission design.

PM or email your ratings to "Brethren" or "redface" at www.SouthQuarter.com or to me "Shadak". Ratings are due by midnight Dec 31 (Hawaii time!). We'll tally them up and post results Jan 7 (or earlier)
    Last edited by Shadak; 4th Dec 2008 at 13:41.

Stunning
    I have a busy weekend ahead I see. Many thanks to everyone involved, I shall be taffing about with pleasure the coming days

I'd vote right now, but since I haven't played much of Tower, the basso mission, and Kindred vault...I'll hold.

Well done to all those who submitted a mission.

I will play it with coffee & a cheesse!

Someone please stick this thread and/or create a new one with the links to the single TAC missions spoiler discussions.

Seems an update is in order... I'll try to squeeze in an hour or so and do a full contest section in my sticky tomorrow.

how many people have voted so far ?

and are there any trends developing I don't want to know which ones are winning, just if there are trends

Yes, definite trends showing...

Hello all, Would just like to know how, after all the votes are in, will the authors of the TAC missions be revealed. Is it up to the authors themselves to own up or what?
    All the best...

When we publish the votes and which missions won the top spots we'll also reveal the authors to them all.

Where does one vote?

I usually vote in GarrettLoader, but I'm guessing for this contest you have to do it somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by Acolyte6 View Post
    I usually vote in GarrettLoader, but I'm guessing for this contest you have to do it somewhere else?
    PM or email your ratings to "Brethren" or "redface" at www.SouthQuarter.com or to me "Shadak". Ratings are due by midnight Dec 31 (Hawaii time!). We'll tally them up and post results Jan 7 (or earlier)