TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 2922

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

  1. #326
    L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Registered: Nov 2005
    Location: Narbonne, France
    Can't agree more with R Soul

    And I understand you'd like readables directly onscreen, it's indeed smoother and would be interesting for gameplay (you have to make sure noone is around when you read). But if the book in question has at least 10 pages of writing, like in my fms for example, what would happen ?
    However, to display text onscreen should be done everytime with little readables : I hate to read a plaque which leads you to a different screen, only to read a room's name.
    Last edited by DrK; 15th Feb 2009 at 11:10.

  2. #327
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I know it may not be as dramatic of a read for longer items but I'd rather just frob it a few times while reading and stay inside the normal view.
    I have a script that can be used to make such text stay on screen until the player looks away, which is even better than having to frob it a few times. This was used by (and written for) Eshaktaar in Broken Triad.


    I'd also thought of the "Only reading books in the light" idea, it does make sense...

  3. #328
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Can't agree more with R Soul

    And I understand you'd like readables directly onscreen, it's indeed smoother and would be interesting for gameplay (you have to make sure noone is around when you read). But if the book in question has at least 10 pages of writing, like in my fms for example, what would happen ?
    However, to display text onscreen should be done everytime with little readables : I hate to read a plaque which leads you to a different screen, only to read a room's name.
    Is it possible to use a script like the one Nameless Voice made to make a readable display the text onscreen for page one for a few seconds, then change to page two and so on as long as the player doesnt move? Page transitions could be signaled by adding a .... to the end of any page that is about to change.

    I dunno, just an idea. I don't know what is possible in dromed and what isnt.

  4. #329
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Maybe changing to the second page if you frob it again would make more sense, otherwise you'd have to predict how long it would take the player to read it.

    I always wanted to make readables like in Deus Ex where the readable appears in a window but the game continues in the background.

  5. #330
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Maybe changing to the second page if you frob it again would make more sense, otherwise you'd have to predict how long it would take the player to read it.

    I always wanted to make readables like in Deus Ex where the readable appears in a window but the game continues in the background.
    Even better, of course - I was just unsure of how far we could push the game engine with this frob specific scripting and whatnot - im sure you pretty much know it inside and out, and after what I've seen in a few fan missions lately it seems anything is possible

  6. #331
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Can't agree more with R Soul

    And I understand you'd like readables directly onscreen, it's indeed smoother and would be interesting for gameplay (you have to make sure noone is around when you read). But if the book in question has at least 10 pages of writing, like in my fms for example, what would happen ?
    However, to display text onscreen should be done everytime with little readables : I hate to read a plaque which leads you to a different screen, only to read a room's name.

    Actually, in some cases I like short readables that take you to a different screen, for example, if it's used to heighten spookiness. The only example I can think of is during Night Three of The Seven Sisters when you find the journal in the portal of chaos and all it says is "Beware, Brothers, the Black Sister is here!" That freaked me out and I was thinking "Oh no, once I exit out of the readable screen back into the game, some terrifying monster's going to attack me!!"

    Anyway, I think the readable screen situation works very well for creepy "It's standing right behind you" instances.

  7. #332
    Moderator
    Registered: Jul 2008
    Since we're voicing our tastes about readables, I like going to another screen when reading a book or scroll because it actually increases the immersion for me. I like the look of the parchment, the darkened edges, the old script, the sound of the pages turning etc. It helps place the player in Garrett's world. When the text just shows up on screen it looks too much like text on a computer screen and breaks the immersion for me somewhat.

  8. #333
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    You also get to read it at your own pace because the game pauses.

  9. #334
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Those are also two great points - and the diversity of play styles and what helps/hinders immersion for different people in different ways is great.

    Its one of those options that if it were easy to make it possible to select either before the missions starts it would make the experience that much more tailored to playstyles. It seems like the more expert-difficulty ghoster types enjoy stopping to smell the roses so to speak (obviously when you spend hours sneaking through shadows remaining completely undetected I doubt you'll have a problem spending a minute or two changing screens to enjoy the story) and folks like myself may enjoy the on-screen approach as I tend to be what I call a "knockout addict" that is always on the move while playing.

    I try my best to stay un-detected while doing so, however. My goal by the end of any given mission is to have blackjacked all guards (and innocents when they are patrolling an area I need to repeatedly go through) without any of them having noticed me. Swordplay is a last resort but I don't mind it. So to get back to my original point - I'm more of a movement oriented sneaker that always likes to be going, going, going - so stopping to change screens breaks my flow pretty heavily. In fact, in missions where I can frob a message and have it appear onscreen - I'm usually moving forward to the next room while reading it.

  10. #335
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2007
    Location: Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    In fact, in missions where I can frob a message and have it appear onscreen - I'm usually moving forward to the next room while reading it.
    I'm imagine the following scenario while you play an FM:

    You frob a scroll and move on while reading it.
    After hitting the bottom of a pitfall equiped with poisened spears and the screen slowly fading into black, you finish the last sentence of the scroll which warns of poisoned pitfalls in the next room

  11. #336
    Moderator
    Registered: Jul 2008
    ROFLMAO!

  12. #337
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    I'm imagine the following scenario while you play an FM:

    You frob a scroll and move on while reading it.
    After hitting the bottom of a pitfall equiped with poisened spears and the screen slowly fading into black, you finish the last sentence of the scroll which warns of poisoned pitfalls in the next room
    I would appreciate the dark humor in that very much and hope that there will be more similar pitfalls ahead of me in this mission

  13. #338
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    With thief being reviewed by Zero Punctuation and now having a thread posted on one of the largest forums on the internet (somethingawful.com for anyone keeping score at home) it seems as if the thief series is getting another popularity boom as of late - and that can only be a good thing. I see that David even posted in that thread - there were lots of mentions of TTLG and he let everyone there know that he runs the place

    The word is getting out about the TTLG community and how the fan mission sector is still going very strong - I've seen more mentions of fan missions (by name even!) in the last week than I have in the last couple years in places other than here and fan mission archive sites.

    This is a very good thing, and hopefully it brings us more folks to discuss these works of art and perhaps even a few new authors wanting to create amazing things for us to play.

    Its always been a good time to be a thief fan - but after all these years its still looking up!

  14. #339
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Location: Bremerton Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    With thief being reviewed by Zero Punctuation and now having a thread posted on one of the largest forums on the internet (somethingawful.com for anyone keeping score at home) it seems as if the thief series is getting another popularity boom as of late - and that can only be a good thing. I see that David even posted in that thread - there were lots of mentions of TTLG and he let everyone there know that he runs the place

    The word is getting out about the TTLG community and how the fan mission sector is still going very strong - I've seen more mentions of fan missions (by name even!) in the last week than I have in the last couple years in places other than here and fan mission archive sites.

    This is a very good thing, and hopefully it brings us more folks to discuss these works of art and perhaps even a few new authors wanting to create amazing things for us to play.

    Its always been a good time to be a thief fan - but after all these years its still looking up!
    It has been alomost a year since I started playing Thief FM's again. It has also been over a year since I have played any game other than Thief. I got a game for Christmas that I haven't even opened. Fallout 3 sounds interesting so does the new FarCry. But why? There is so much left to playing and editing Thief missions. I have a fantasy that someday there will be a skit on Saturday Night Live where they are playing Thief characters and the audience will actually understand the humor.
    Maybe....
    Zombies walking and Benny talking.

  15. #340
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    Audience? You know, people who are still mentally healthy are running short ya know and the ones that are fans of Thief have been ones for a reason. Nice fantasy though, I've been dreaming of great stuff too.

    It would be nice to have more members here at TTLG as SneakyJack (since i can't call you Snickers, i might as well stick with the original) pointed out. In time the community will probably grow weak anyway (probably newer PCs, that just cannot handle Thief), but i'm not that sure, if it will ever really die.

    Hmm, apparently it's my nonsense talk day. I better stay quiet for the rest of the 'eve. (Oh and i posted this, cause i just couldn't let it go to waste.)

  16. #341
    Moderator
    Registered: Apr 2003
    Location: Wales
    I don't see Thief dying in my lifetime. A small bonus, perhaps, for getting on a bit. There are a number of people who work very hard indeed at keeping not only the game alive, but the site as well. And I, for one, jealously guard any of half a dozen pcs that will play Thief. Hands off you blackguards! These are mine.

  17. #342
    Member
    Registered: Feb 2009
    Location: Situation's changed, Tom.
    I always feel bad when I think about Thief never getting really known and popular, despite it's such a great game. No one I ever spoke in real life had heard of the game (or gave me the answer: Yes, I know Thief, that's because you keep telling me it's such a great game)

  18. #343
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    I always feel bad when I think about Thief never getting really known and popular, despite it's such a great game. No one I ever spoke in real life had heard of the game (or gave me the answer: Yes, I know Thief, that's because you keep telling me it's such a great game)
    Same here really, but to be honest if it would have become a mega huge hit it would have never kept true to its roots for the sequels (look at what they do to most major titles when they get the sequel treatment) and it would have continued to be watered down and milked over the years with more knockoffs and sequels. Even episodic content.

    The only shame I really see is Looking Glass biting the dust - other than that sometimes cult status is almost better. Look at the dedicated fanbase we have here - I don't know if their hearts would be in it as much if thief wasnt a "little engine that could" type game. Though, I'm wrong alot - so this could be another time.

  19. #344
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor02 View Post
    In time the community will probably grow weak anyway (probably newer PCs, that just cannot handle Thief), but I'm not that sure, if it will ever really die.
    Fairly unlikely - every major compatibility problem so far has been resolved.

  20. #345
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    I agree - in a community that can bend the dark engine until it nearly cries often times with amazing results (multiplayer thief??!) I doubt compatibility will be an issue for a long, long time.

  21. #346
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: in your second eyelids
    Hmm, ya think? I have no expierience in programming or anything like it, so i'll pass on arguing with smarter people this time.

    So let's just go for the classic one: Long live Thief!

  22. #347
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2008
    Location: Slovakia - Zemplín region
    I hate to ask this... But I can't figure out the code to the vault in the TDS FM "The Bridge". It's a fantastic mission, one of the best I've ever seen (even the home-made cutscenes were great !), but I really can't finish it. I tried to use the scrolls that give you hints about the code, I tried thinking in Roman numerals... but nothing... If it's possible, please give me some advice. I'm completely puzzled.

  23. #348
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Petike the Taffer View Post
    I hate to ask this... But I can't figure out the code to the vault in the TDS FM "The Bridge". It's a fantastic mission, one of the best I've ever seen (even the home-made cutscenes were great !), but I really can't finish it. I tried to use the scrolls that give you hints about the code, I tried thinking in Roman numerals... but nothing... If it's possible, please give me some advice. I'm completely puzzled.
    This is not a help and hint thread, please look to the fan missions forum thread for your answer.

    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106555

  24. #349
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2008
    Location: Slovakia - Zemplín region
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    This is not a help and hint thread, please look to the fan missions forum thread for your answer.

    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106555
    Thanks ! I had trouble finding the original thread. I'm really grateful.

  25. #350
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Petike the Taffer View Post
    Thanks ! I had trouble finding the original thread. I'm really grateful.
    I had trouble finding it too - the search on this forum is pretty broken

    I've found the easiest way for me to find a thread is to enter "TTLG Thief (number for which thief here) (name of fan mission here)" in google and you usually get the thread you need.

Page 14 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •