TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    I developed the habit of checking into this thread every time I open TTLG in search for the review of my FM. I hope that I'll be surprised some day... And I guess every designer would love to read anything about his/her creation. Therefore... great work, reviewers!
    Bukary, are you referring to Old Comrades, Old Debts?

jtr7
    You coulda just PM'd a request.

Only 136 FMs out of 700+.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Actually, I'd much rather play as an animated cow running throughout underground temples looting crypts from under the noses of perturbed zombies.
    Moo Raider?

I developed the habit of checking into this thread every time I open TTLG in search for the review of my FM. I hope that I'll be surprised some day... And I guess every designer would love to read anything about his/her creation. Therefore... great work, reviewers!
    Its on my list and coming soon

jtr7 is right - if anyone would like to see any certain mission here you can PM your request and I'll definitely have it posted within a few days.

Also - if anyone would like to become the unofficial (or official, either way) reviewer of T1 or T3 fan missions for this thread so that eventually we cover them all - please do. If not, I'll move on to those games after we have a complete T2 list (or as complete as we care to get) but I'd rather have folks reviewing all the games at one time if possible.

Old Comrades, Old Debts By Bukary
    Released: 2002

What is the story?: Garrett felt no sense of forboding when he – just like every week - was on his way to the meeting place with Victoria’s emissary. Many thoughts were circulating in his head when, in the shadow of the streetlamp, he noticed a pagan. He'd arrived at the meeting place, but before he managed to have even one word with the emissary, hooded figures had appeared from nearby alleys. There were too many of them Garrett tried to struggle. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the pagan emissary thrown down. Soon the same happened to him...

How does it play?: This one is pure ghosting (though not forced) - so be aware of that fact when going into this mission.. you are in for a bit of a challenge here. Being a prison break style mission that houses no weapons or tools for you to use (that I found, anyway) other than lockpicks and a healing potion - there isn't any way for you to fight back against the dangerous thieves holding you against your will - so your sneaking abilities will certainly be tested in the small areas in this mission.

With that disclaimer out of the way we can get into the gameplay itself - I very much liked that each area (though this is a small contest mission) had multiple ways to approach it so that you arent always forced to sneak directly past one of the fast moving thieves.. though that is certainly an option if you so choose. The holding cell area of the mission has a few problem points that I found myself getting stuck on while trying to hide from the patrolling thief nearby, but for the most part every area was easily accessible and I enjoyed how everything was set up. Being a short mission, this one shouldn't take you longer than 20 minutes to a half hour at most (probably less if you are an excellent ghoster - I certainly am not so it takes me a bit longer than usual) - so this one makes for an excellent "lunchbreak" style mission just to qet a quick thief fix.

There are a few nice technical touches in this one (the way out of the mission for example, and the glowing spiders) and I enjoyed the setup and story of the mission - its not often you get to see a struggle play out between the pagans and the thieves guild, and it definitely kept me interested. The cinematic style opening was also a nice way to bring the player straight into the immersive nature of the mission. I guess my only complaint about the mission as a whole would be that it was over far too quickly - I'd love to see this missions story (or one like it) expanded into a full sized mission with a blackjack in play!

How does it look?: The mission itself looks great. There are tons of atmospheric touches everywhere (the cobwebs strewn about from the glowing spiders, a small puddle in the snow near the house, broken windows and snow covered trees inside) that really add a ton to the immersion factor of the mission, and the texture work looks great as well. Overall a very strong looking mission.

How does it sound?: I always enjoy hearing the conversation with the pagan that plays out in the beginning of the mission, its one of my favorites from Thief and always makes me laugh at the smugness of the pagan. Overall everything sounds good as far as I could tell.

So what is the verdict?: Normally not my style of mission but an excellent little mission nonetheless. Prison break fans that also love ghosting will be right at home with this one, and for a contest mission the space allowed was used very well.

Check this one out if you enjoy: Prison break style missions, ghosting, pagans, thieves guild missions, paranormal missions.

Screens:

I named this little guy Commander Crazylegs - he's the only friend you've got in this mission.

This thief caught me peepin' at him through the window.

But he didn't catch me peepin' at him from the crates! Ha!

Its a winter wonderland.

Upstairs with Commander Crazylegs' brother, Professor Ouchiebites.

Pagans doin' their haunting thing.

Explodey stuff!

Finally! After all those years I got reviewed (is that the way to say it?)!

Thank you!

And it reminds me how difficult (for me) all those things were (the explosion, player thrown back and up, custom textures and skins, broken windows, glowing spiders, ghost "conversations", breakable walls, fade-out intro, changing textures in-game etc.) that are so common and obvious now. DromEd is great!
    Last edited by bukary; 27th Apr 2009 at 15:25.

Finally! After all those years I got reviewed (is that the way to say it?)!

Thank you!
    Not a problem, it was a fun little mission to play. Is it your only mission? (I see you have Mistrz: Efekty Specjalne but I think thats a special effects demo?) And if so, ever thought about making a full sized one and letting your creativity go crazy? I know I'd definitely play it more than once!

Bukary, I tracked down your FM after you mentioned it but SneakyJack beat me to a review.

I like it. So claustrophobic but it's got plenty of character.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    Is it your only mission?
    Yes. After finishing OCOD I decided that there's nothing more for me to achieve in Thief's world.

...Just kidding. I finished only one mission, but started building dozens of them (check my signature with DromEd screenshots). I also started T3 and The Dark Mod (Doom) projects (on hold due to the lack of time). Some screens from very, very early versions: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

But right now I devoted all my time to translating games (including Thief Anthology) and teaching literature. The only thing that can make me resume level editing is, I guess, Thief 4 editor.
    Cartographer's Note FM: in production.
    Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Bukary, I tracked down your FM after you mentioned it but SneakyJack beat me to a review.

I like it. So claustrophobic but it's got plenty of character.
    I'd love to read your review as well!

@ Bukary: I really like the look of "Garrett zakrada się do młyna" and "Posiadłość u podnóża gór w świetle Księżyca". Dunno what those names mean, but they look liked they'd be alot of fun!

I'd love to read your review as well!
    Me too!

Checking those screens in the web, if you could connect some of those small projects into one, it could actually get finished. :P Otherwise many projects at same time get released only with nearly unlimited timed and unlimited effort. -- my theory...

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    This is my review of Old Comrades, Old Debts

I liked how it tied in events occurring in Thief 2. The player gets to see a glimpse of how the criminals themselves are reacting to what Garrett is doing: 'Oh my god, he raided our warehouse, we better find somewhere else to hide our stuff.' I liked the mystery behind it, about the ringleader and so on. It's a good buildup for a sequel.

I liked the horror aspect to it, but I would have liked to see the undead do a little more. It was one of those moments the first time you see them, especially the haunt standing outside the pool. Thats a good moment when you come up out of the water and he's standing there. It would have been nifty to have the undead kill the guards in some way, right before you blow up the barrels and finally escape.

This mission was better for Garrett not having access to his usual items. It made it difficult even after the objectives were done, and added to the feel of the mission that you never quite got comfortable to running around the chapel. I liked how even in a mission this small, there were multiple routes around the place.

Another thing I liked was trying to open the chest on the top floor bit-by-bit. I like little moments like that, where every few seconds you have to sneak back into the shadows.
    The only problem I had with the mission, and this has happened every time I've played it, is the final big boom. It always kills me. To get around this, I have to push the explosive barrels all the way against the far wall and then stick a stack of crates in front of them. Only then when I pull the lever, can I survive, with just 1 unit of health left. Of course, sometimes that secondary explosion gets me too, so I have to run around trying to avoid getting blown away again.

Anyways, for the size of the mission and the number of enemies in it, I think this is a very good mission.

Sneakyjack have you tried this Vista fog fix for T2 already:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...117616&page=50
    (check DJ Riff's post at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    Sneakyjack have you tried this Vista fog fix for T2 already:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...117616&page=50
    (check DJ Riff's post at the end)
    I don't have vista

Trust me, I've tried everything and I know its because of my video card. Thanks for the link, but every time fog is mentioned in this thread we go into a 20 post derail so I'd rather not talk about it again

Just wondering (again), how about ypur screenshottutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    Just wondering (again), how about ypur screenshottutorial?
    I'm wondering what happened to your keyboard there mate

The tutorial is coming, but I've got Behind The Builder and like five already done mission reviews to post before starting work on it - so it'll still be a bit on that but it will get done.

I'm wondering what happened to your keyboard there mate
    Me and typing.
    It is already bad enough that I can't speak English properly, now I'm making the worst type faults.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    Me and typing.
    It is already bad enough that I can't speak English properly, now I'm making the worst type faults.

To be honest, I didn't know that you weren't a native english speaker before until you mentioned it just now or I wouldn't have made that joke at all - your english is better than most who only speak it.

Before I get into the next bit of reviews I want to thank the folks in the thread about guessing missions from the screenshot - they've helped me find alot of missions over time that I needed to revisit or that I might have missed thinking I'd already played them. That being said, time to move on to:

(Note, the next two missions are part of a 'double mission' release that uses the same map with huge differences depending on which scenario you choose at the start)

The Ghost House By Dark Arrow (With Gloria Creep)
    Released: 2005

What is the story?:
    You've run out of places to loot and unfortunately rent is due - not wanting to be homeless you've chosen to break into a home that you've avoided thus far for reasons that you'll soon see for yourself...

How does it play?: Holy smokes.. this mission - whew. Haunted missions are usually not my thing - but after seeing a creepy screenshot of the lady of the house staring blankly out a window, I needed to see what this one was all about. I was certainly not disappointed. The sheer amount of ghostly effects and "make you jump" moments had me on edge the entire time. I won't spoil any of the minor effects here - but if you enjoy scary and haunted missions, this one will most certainly deliver. The entire mission is filled with horror movie inspired bits - and when you are finished with it you'll probably breathe a sigh of relief as you walk out the front doors.

The only thing I noticed that seemed a bit off in a mission full of 'special effects' and scripted events was that even after I had vanquished the undead in the mission, hands still came up through the floor and through the walls causing me damage while the rest of the house was now silent. I dont know if that was intentional at all but it certainly made me jump as I wasn't expecting it. Overall though - I had alot of fun with this mission. There isnt alot of thieving to do, but if you want a cinematic fright fest, this mission is for you.

How does it look?: The home is full of atmospheric touches here and there and the overall look is very well done. You truly feel like you are inside a home that has been haunted for some time - and bits like boards covering the front doors, broken windows, flickering lights and more all add to the sense of dread along with the dark, dreary look of the place. The texture work is great throughout the inside of the house and overall everything looks very good.

How does it sound?: Sound is one area in which this mission truly shines. From the fantastic voicework by Dark Arrow and Wynne to the ambiance throughout the mission - this is one creepy sounding place. At one point in the mission you hear the lady of the house humming a tune in place of the music.. and it not only sent my sense of dread even further through the roof but also at the same time oddly calmed me - a fantastic use of sound for atmospheric purposes.

So what is the verdict?: Full of atmosphere and fright - if you are a fan of horror themed missions (and even if you arent) you should definitely give this one a try. But be warned - it has some moments that will make you jump, so if you are faint at heart it may not be for you. Recommended!

Check this one out if you enjoy: Horror missions, mansion missions, paranormal enemies, scripted events, custom conversations, undead missions.

Screens:

Welcome Garrett, let me pour you a drink. No, no need to sit down - you'll be running at full speed soon enough!

When this lady turns around and utters the words that come out of her.. talk about the perfect way to set up a horror mission!

You don't want to smell what they're cookin' - trust me.

Time to head upstairs.. unfortunately.

Its not so bad up here... yet.

I have to guess that Gloria Creep is somehow responsible for this floating dewdrop, haha.

I can only imagine what is lurking down here.

Well, it looks like I'll be staying a while.

(On a side note, these screens obviously are very dark because of the theme of the mission - so if you are not using either of the dark themes on this forum I encourage you to do so regardless of your monitor - it does help make the screen shots "pop" so to speak)

On kind of a side note I wanted to share a couple screens for those who have not played the mission (or won't because of it being scary) but it contains a bit of a spoiler, so if you don't want a small part of the missions plot ruined for you, skip over these next screens until you've played it!

One small detail that I really enjoyed from The Ghost House is the bit where you find the lady of the house upstairs and she explains to you whats going on in the house - you see her talking to you in this form:

But then after turning your head slightly (in game, not away from your monitor silly!) you see her reflection in the mirror:

Such a great touch that shows the level of detail and work that went into this mission, I really enjoy when authors put things like that into a mission. Its something that you can play through the entire mission and never notice, but for those who do its a real treat.

The Haunted Hospital By Dark Arrow
    Released: 2005

What is the story?: Looking for another unlikely target for plunder, you've now set your sights on an old abandoned (and haunted, of course) hospital full of bad memories. Hopefully you can come up with the rent money and not with more than a bad case of the heebie jeebies.

How does it play?:
    The gameplay here is very similar to what you will encounter in The Ghost House - the house at the beginning of the mission is identical other than some prop changes and some opened up areas. It is when you venture into the new hospital portion of the mission that business really starts to pick up.

Playing this mission is like walking through a haunted house at a carnival full of effects and tiny scenes meant to entertain and scare you at the same time - but taken to the next level. There are so many things to see (and run away from!) in this mission that you may need to playthrough two or three times just to take it all in. Bizarre experiments, lighting fast ghosts, floating objects, crazy sounds, and terrifying enemies are just some of the things you'll encounter.

Ghosters definitely have the advantage in this one - you'll be in a tough spot should you decide to take these paranormal foes on directly. One enemy in particular can not only move lightning fast, but will toss multiple projectiles at you that can send Garrett to the spirit world permanently within just a few hits, even on the easiest difficulty. Luckily the shop before you begin the mission is stocked up with items that are helpful, but if you are someone like me who would rather take on your ghostly opposition rather than sneak around them.. this is one case where the money cheat may come in very handy. If using the money cheat is not your thing and you are not a ghoster at heart, you may be in for quite the challenge - this place is large and filled to the brim with horrible things!

All that being said, I had great fun with this one. Most of the hospital portion can be accessed from an above catwalk that you can get great use of your rope arrows from - and that made avoiding the enemies much easier for the most part. From the spiders that pop out of the webs to the floating objects and mini scenes that play out to the hooded enemies that took my life many times once they noticed me - I had a blast being frightened with this one. I did notice a few spots (doors flying off hinges for example - I can't tell if it was the dark engine bug or if it was intentional in this case though) and the self opening and closing doors started wearing on my nerves after an hour or so, but for the most part this is a well made and effect filled mission that should entertain most.

How does it look?: Once again filled with technical effects and creepy atmosphere, this mission looks very good. The hospital portions that were not recycled from the house look nearly as good and as spooky as the house itself, but with its own "previously sanitary hospital" environment feel that worked really well.

How does it sound?: Again taking center stage here is the creepy and very well done sound and ambiance. From the random voices you hear (featuring fantastic voicework from many folks in the thief community) as you pass rooms to the enemies themselves, this area of the mission is very well done. The hooded enemies in particular saying things like "fresh meat" reminded me of my Diablo playing days and sent me running from them as they chased me at full speed. Great stuff!

So what is the verdict?: If you played through The Ghost House first in this two mission set and thought to yourself "That was over too fast, I wish it were bigger" - you'll find exactly what you need in this mission. Large, scary, full of brilliant technical effects and fun - if this sort of mission is for you then you'll be right at home. Recommended!

Check this one out if you enjoy: Horror missions, mansion missions, paranormal enemies, scripted events, custom conversations, undead missions, custom enemies and voices.

Screens:

Peering downstairs - looking for trouble.

Yeah, this looks safe.

Ghostly guards.

You'll want to stay above this hallway.

This fella was still alive, so I rescued him and took him above all the madness!

Floaty decks of cards are never a good thing - unless it means gamblin ghosts!

What in the world?!?!

Foreground: Ghostly guy trying to scare me. Background: Ghostly guy trying to kill me. Which one succeeded? Both!

Garrett To The Rescue By Apache And KidGarrett
    Released: 2001

What is the story?: Basso needs your help again. This time for Jenivere's sister Tabitha. She has gone missing and he needs your help in finding her. You know what to do - time to go to work.

How does it play?: This one is a bit of a mixed bag. For the most part it is a fun little mission - but there are some glaring missteps in the mission design that make it nearly impossible to ghost (from what I saw, though I'm sure it is possible with a ton of patience) such as two guards patrolling an area at the top of the second floor stairs that looks to be about five square feet long - basically causing them to walk two or three steps, turn, repeat.

The mission also probably wins the award for GPSF (guards per square feet, a mathmatical term that I think I just made up, haha) having a metric ton of guards situated within the small residence, and even on easy difficulty. For blackjack fiends like myself this is a great thing - but if you are a ghoster you may find yourself frutrated with the upper level of the estate.

Other than those points however, a fairly solid little mission that is great for a short blackjack and loot fest should that be your preferred playstyle. It will be one of those missions that will definitely play differently depending on how you approach it - and that approach may also determine the love it/hate it factor after you are finished.

How does it look?: For the most part the mission looks very solid. I enjoyed how the lighting was handled in most spots and overall made the heavy guard population easier to deal with other than the one problem spot at the top of the stairs. Textures were well done as far as I saw and everything looked good.

How does it sound?: I didn't notice any problem areas or custom sounds to speak of, so we'll just say that the mission sounded good.

So what is the verdict?: Probably not a mission I'll revisit anytime soon - but for a small mission that will test your sneaking skills (and possibly your patience) I'd say that everyone should at least give it a chance - its one of those missions that could have you falling on either side of the fence.

Check this one out if you enjoy: Mansion missions, museum missions, human enemies, ghosting challenge.

Screens:

Hearing the poor servants mumble about how cold they are is always sad..

Patrollin' looking for thiefy things.

They really cheaped out on the dinnerware!

Ahh, here is some dinnerware worth heisting.

Here we see the two guards that patrol an area so small - I'd love to know how someone would successfully ghost through it. I know many of you probably could, but not this guy. I gave up after trying once, haha.

Sleeping with your coin stacks (literally, not an innuendo) out in the open is always a brilliant idea.

Guards AND watchers - this will be fun!

Garrett To The Rescue 2: The Auction House By Apache
    Released: 2002

What is the story?: You made it out of the previous house safely, and are still on the hunt for Tabitha. Basso has given you a map - time to finish what you started.

How does it play?: This time around the gameplay is a bit more even and alot more fun - this mission even allows for some rope arrow mischief and seems to be alot more forgiving to ghosters and blackjackers alike. The area you'll traverse is bigger with more ways in and out of each location and overall seems to make for much better gameplay. There are still a few trouble spots in this one, but not nearly as many as the previous mission in the series and you can definitely see the growth that the author had between the two missions. I had a good time with this one, moreso than the first.

How does it look?:
    With a tiny city style area and a bit more variation in location than the first, the mission overall looks better. The architecture is more interesting as well, and the texture work was good.

How does it sound?: Once again I didn't notice any custom sounds or voicework or any problem areas during my playthrough, so again I'll say everything sounded just fine.

So what is the verdict?: For those that want to continue the storyline of the first I'll say that you'll probably enjoy this one moreso than the previous - and I would recommend this one over the first mission to first time players.

Check this one out if you enjoy:
    Mansion missions, city style missions, human enemies, museum missions, robotic enemies.

Screens:

Approaching the target.. how will I make my way in?

The way a thief should, of course!

Making my way to the other side..

I could place a bid on some items, but I prefer taking them at a five finger discount.

This guard unexpectedly caught me going for the coins but didn't actually see me, so I stood (fully lit) in the corner with my heart racing until they turned around and went back out of the room. Brilliant area to stop the patrol, and caught me offguard

Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast