TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 108 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

This would be the opportunity for getting started with DromEd
    At least you'll have plenty of folks who would assist you

I think I'll stick to doing what I do on the forum and leave the stuff that requires dromed skill to those that have the patience

Although if someone would ever want to mod a mission like that someday - I'm definitely not going to complain

El Kabong's stats:

Knockouts: 1 While Airborne: 1

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    Actually, I'd much rather play as an animated cow running throughout underground temples looting crypts from under the noses of perturbed zombies. Or maybe Garrett is actually hiding inside the cow outfit. That's why nobody ever recognises him.

You wouldn't need to learn any DromEd so long as you don't want a voice-over; you'd just need a guitar model and the knowledge of how to convert it to Dark format, plus the appropriate sound effect (based on the "sword striking harp" sound, perhaps?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    El Kabong's stats:

Knockouts: 1 While Airborne: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Actually, I'd much rather play as an animated cow running throughout underground temples looting crypts from under the noses of perturbed zombies. Or maybe Garrett is actually hiding inside the cow outfit. That's why nobody ever recognises him.
    El Kabong is a horse, unless you meant an actual cow

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    You wouldn't need to learn any DromEd so long as you don't want a voice-over; you'd just need a guitar model and the knowledge of how to convert it to Dark format, plus the appropriate sound effect (based on the "sword striking harp" sound, perhaps?)
    Hmmm.. I might have to look into this

Perhaps we should make him the official mascot of the general discussion megathread, haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6tWB-8QKYk

"Of all the heroes in legend and song, there's none as brave as El Kabong... KABONG!!"

For an older cartoon, thats actually very funny.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 26th Apr 2009 at 19:10.

That explains why I never caught the reference... I love old cartoons but never watched much QDM. I'm partial to Warner Bros myself.

jtr7
    Ooooh. What have I done? What...have I done??

WHAT HAVE I DUH--!!! *Ka-BONG!* --Mff?

*thud-dud-dubump*

I developed the habit of checking into this thread every time I open TTLG in search for the review of my FM. I hope that I'll be surprised some day... And I guess every designer would love to read anything about his/her creation. Therefore... great work, reviewers!

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    I developed the habit of checking into this thread every time I open TTLG in search for the review of my FM. I hope that I'll be surprised some day... And I guess every designer would love to read anything about his/her creation. Therefore... great work, reviewers!
    Bukary, are you referring to Old Comrades, Old Debts?

jtr7
    You coulda just PM'd a request.

Only 136 FMs out of 700+.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Actually, I'd much rather play as an animated cow running throughout underground temples looting crypts from under the noses of perturbed zombies.
    Moo Raider?

Its on my list and coming soon

jtr7 is right - if anyone would like to see any certain mission here you can PM your request and I'll definitely have it posted within a few days.

Also - if anyone would like to become the unofficial (or official, either way) reviewer of T1 or T3 fan missions for this thread so that eventually we cover them all - please do. If not, I'll move on to those games after we have a complete T2 list (or as complete as we care to get) but I'd rather have folks reviewing all the games at one time if possible.

Old Comrades, Old Debts By Bukary
    Released: 2002

What is the story?: Garrett felt no sense of forboding when he – just like every week - was on his way to the meeting place with Victoria’s emissary. Many thoughts were circulating in his head when, in the shadow of the streetlamp, he noticed a pagan. He'd arrived at the meeting place, but before he managed to have even one word with the emissary, hooded figures had appeared from nearby alleys. There were too many of them Garrett tried to struggle. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the pagan emissary thrown down. Soon the same happened to him...

How does it play?: This one is pure ghosting (though not forced) - so be aware of that fact when going into this mission.. you are in for a bit of a challenge here. Being a prison break style mission that houses no weapons or tools for you to use (that I found, anyway) other than lockpicks and a healing potion - there isn't any way for you to fight back against the dangerous thieves holding you against your will - so your sneaking abilities will certainly be tested in the small areas in this mission.

With that disclaimer out of the way we can get into the gameplay itself - I very much liked that each area (though this is a small contest mission) had multiple ways to approach it so that you arent always forced to sneak directly past one of the fast moving thieves.. though that is certainly an option if you so choose. The holding cell area of the mission has a few problem points that I found myself getting stuck on while trying to hide from the patrolling thief nearby, but for the most part every area was easily accessible and I enjoyed how everything was set up. Being a short mission, this one shouldn't take you longer than 20 minutes to a half hour at most (probably less if you are an excellent ghoster - I certainly am not so it takes me a bit longer than usual) - so this one makes for an excellent "lunchbreak" style mission just to qet a quick thief fix.

There are a few nice technical touches in this one (the way out of the mission for example, and the glowing spiders) and I enjoyed the setup and story of the mission - its not often you get to see a struggle play out between the pagans and the thieves guild, and it definitely kept me interested. The cinematic style opening was also a nice way to bring the player straight into the immersive nature of the mission. I guess my only complaint about the mission as a whole would be that it was over far too quickly - I'd love to see this missions story (or one like it) expanded into a full sized mission with a blackjack in play!

How does it look?: The mission itself looks great. There are tons of atmospheric touches everywhere (the cobwebs strewn about from the glowing spiders, a small puddle in the snow near the house, broken windows and snow covered trees inside) that really add a ton to the immersion factor of the mission, and the texture work looks great as well. Overall a very strong looking mission.

How does it sound?: I always enjoy hearing the conversation with the pagan that plays out in the beginning of the mission, its one of my favorites from Thief and always makes me laugh at the smugness of the pagan. Overall everything sounds good as far as I could tell.

So what is the verdict?: Normally not my style of mission but an excellent little mission nonetheless. Prison break fans that also love ghosting will be right at home with this one, and for a contest mission the space allowed was used very well.

Check this one out if you enjoy: Prison break style missions, ghosting, pagans, thieves guild missions, paranormal missions.

Screens:

I named this little guy Commander Crazylegs - he's the only friend you've got in this mission.

This thief caught me peepin' at him through the window.

But he didn't catch me peepin' at him from the crates! Ha!

Its a winter wonderland.

Upstairs with Commander Crazylegs' brother, Professor Ouchiebites.

Pagans doin' their haunting thing.

Explodey stuff!

Finally! After all those years I got reviewed (is that the way to say it?)!

Thank you!

And it reminds me how difficult (for me) all those things were (the explosion, player thrown back and up, custom textures and skins, broken windows, glowing spiders, ghost "conversations", breakable walls, fade-out intro, changing textures in-game etc.) that are so common and obvious now. DromEd is great!
    Last edited by bukary; 27th Apr 2009 at 15:25.

Finally! After all those years I got reviewed (is that the way to say it?)!

Thank you!
    Not a problem, it was a fun little mission to play. Is it your only mission? (I see you have Mistrz: Efekty Specjalne but I think thats a special effects demo?) And if so, ever thought about making a full sized one and letting your creativity go crazy? I know I'd definitely play it more than once!

Bukary, I tracked down your FM after you mentioned it but SneakyJack beat me to a review.

I like it. So claustrophobic but it's got plenty of character.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    Is it your only mission?
    Yes. After finishing OCOD I decided that there's nothing more for me to achieve in Thief's world.

...Just kidding. I finished only one mission, but started building dozens of them (check my signature with DromEd screenshots). I also started T3 and The Dark Mod (Doom) projects (on hold due to the lack of time). Some screens from very, very early versions: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

But right now I devoted all my time to translating games (including Thief Anthology) and teaching literature. The only thing that can make me resume level editing is, I guess, Thief 4 editor.
    Cartographer's Note FM: in production.
    Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Bukary, I tracked down your FM after you mentioned it but SneakyJack beat me to a review.

I like it. So claustrophobic but it's got plenty of character.
    I'd love to read your review as well!

@ Bukary: I really like the look of "Garrett zakrada się do młyna" and "Posiadłość u podnóża gór w świetle Księżyca". Dunno what those names mean, but they look liked they'd be alot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I'd love to read your review as well!
    Me too!

Checking those screens in the web, if you could connect some of those small projects into one, it could actually get finished. :P Otherwise many projects at same time get released only with nearly unlimited timed and unlimited effort. -- my theory...

This is my review of Old Comrades, Old Debts

I liked how it tied in events occurring in Thief 2. The player gets to see a glimpse of how the criminals themselves are reacting to what Garrett is doing: 'Oh my god, he raided our warehouse, we better find somewhere else to hide our stuff.' I liked the mystery behind it, about the ringleader and so on. It's a good buildup for a sequel.

I liked the horror aspect to it, but I would have liked to see the undead do a little more. It was one of those moments the first time you see them, especially the haunt standing outside the pool. Thats a good moment when you come up out of the water and he's standing there. It would have been nifty to have the undead kill the guards in some way, right before you blow up the barrels and finally escape.

This mission was better for Garrett not having access to his usual items. It made it difficult even after the objectives were done, and added to the feel of the mission that you never quite got comfortable to running around the chapel. I liked how even in a mission this small, there were multiple routes around the place.

Another thing I liked was trying to open the chest on the top floor bit-by-bit. I like little moments like that, where every few seconds you have to sneak back into the shadows.
    The only problem I had with the mission, and this has happened every time I've played it, is the final big boom. It always kills me. To get around this, I have to push the explosive barrels all the way against the far wall and then stick a stack of crates in front of them. Only then when I pull the lever, can I survive, with just 1 unit of health left. Of course, sometimes that secondary explosion gets me too, so I have to run around trying to avoid getting blown away again.

Anyways, for the size of the mission and the number of enemies in it, I think this is a very good mission.

Sneakyjack have you tried this Vista fog fix for T2 already:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...117616&page=50
    (check DJ Riff's post at the end)

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    Sneakyjack have you tried this Vista fog fix for T2 already:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...117616&page=50
    (check DJ Riff's post at the end)
    I don't have vista

Trust me, I've tried everything and I know its because of my video card. Thanks for the link, but every time fog is mentioned in this thread we go into a 20 post derail so I'd rather not talk about it again

Page 32 of 108 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782 ... LastLast