TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 53 of 117 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2920

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

And after that, the top 10 FMs with burricks.

Another great read, The Mike.

The Mike - Legendary review. Big thumbs up from me!

AW YOU GUYS. Thanks a lot for the comments, I really enjoy reading them (that means "keep em' coming").

And Stickyfingers, you and me are on the same wavelength (I'm so sorry for you) as Top 10 Crazy FMs is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Though...that would mean for the sake of the list I would have to finally play JIS' Elevator mission. THE FEAR, IT'S SO OVERPOWERING .

Also, I'd love to do a top 10 burrick list, but they're so underutilized I don't know if I could think of even 10 for Thief 2. It's a shame I tells ya.
    Last edited by The Mike; 7th Oct 2009 at 18:43.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    And Stickyfingers, you and me are on the same wavelength (I'm so sorry for you).
    Gee.....err.....thanks
    Also, I'd love to do a top 10 burrick list, but they're so underutilized I don't know if I could think of even 10 for Thief 2.
    Well, kfort's The Adventures Of Burrick Boy would be a good chance to be #1.
    Also, that heart-melting, tissue-soaking part in The Seven Sisters where you rescue the pet baby burrick (sob) which should be included by law

But they're about the only two I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    G
    Also, that heart-melting, tissue-soaking part in The Seven Sisters where you rescue the pet baby burrick (sob) which should be included by law

I would also add to that the zombie riding the burrick in "Inverted Manse", just because it gave me the opportunity to say out loud "OH HOLY CRAP A ZOMBIE ON A DINOSAUR" in a context that made perfect sense, and I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again.
    Last edited by The Mike; 8th Oct 2009 at 13:17.

Don't rescue them, Burricks are the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    I would also add to that the zombie riding the burrick in "Inverted Manse", just because it gave me the opportunity to say out loud "OH HOLY CRAP A ZOMBIE ON A DINOSAUR" in a context that made perfect since, and I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again.
    I don't remember anything like that.... I gotta go play that one again!

What about Ominous Bequest?

OB has burricks!? Apparently it's been too long since I played that...

Yes! They're an integral part of the mission from which you must escape at one point.

I've got so much catching up to do. Darn wifi rubbish! The Mike - you have surpassed yourself. I'm in total awe of this new format and am eagerly awaiting your next top 10 - burricks or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I've got so much catching up to do. Darn wifi rubbish! The Mike - you have surpassed yourself. I'm in total awe of this new format and am eagerly awaiting your next top 10 - burricks or otherwise!
    You're too kind Nickie, thanks for reading! Just...you know all that flattery is just going straight to my ego right? Not that I don't appreciate it, I just think you should know that you're creating a monster (when I make a thread proclaiming myself lord and master of the universe it will be directly your fault).

Anyway, I've thought of a few ideas...trying to decide which to do next:

"Top Ten Strangest FMs": TOTALLY my idea, if StickyFingers says otherwise it's obviously because Sticky is coming down with a case of delirium.
    "Top Ten FM Moments": I'm really liking this idea, though I might be covering a lot of old ground....and not to spoil anything but it would be the third time now that I've described Deceptive Perception's ending, and frankly I'm sick of the damn thing. WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO AWESOME?!?
    "Top Ten FMs No One Has Played": I kinda like this idea, a list of the ten best missions that no one ever talks about. Missions that are great but not very popular for some reason. I mean, EVERYONE knows "Seven Shades of Mercury" is good, but what about "Forbidden Rites"? It's one of the best Hammer missions I've ever played an no one ever mentions it!

So anyway, those are the ideas floating around in my head at the moment. Comments? Suggestions? Cheese sandwiches?

Sticky is coming down with a case of delirium.
    How did you know? (then again, to prevent all-out copyright war I demand 10,000 free Mike Points - you have 7 days...)

"The Top 10 FMs No One Has Played" (maybe with the addition "/Or Has Played But Completely Forgotton") sounds like a great idea - I love 're-discovering' FMs I'd forgotton about.
    So (in the interests of satisfying my perverse obsession with lists) here's some suggestions - none of which are less than 3 years old:

Gervasius' Archery Tournament
    Cathedral Of The Damned (listed as 'Beta vers 0.6' but fully playable / finishable)
    The Hashishans
    Mad As A Hatter
    By Order Of An Unknown
    Firefly
    Forbidden Rites (think somebody else may have mentioned this...)
    Unfinished Business
    The Ghost House / The Haunted Hospital
    Orthodox Wedding
    Under Templehill
    Lord Gibson's Estate

Some more possibles (well, I liked 'em anyway) -

Karras' Diary
    More Time To Foil Karras (think this is the 5th ever released T2 FM)
    Sammy Pays His Dues
    The Karrassinian Threat
    Shining Standards
    The Cistern
    Bafford's Last Stand (BJers' heaven )
    In Dubio Pro Garrett

BTW; if you're looking into strange FMs, try Chon Migoroshi - if you can figure it out please let the rest of us know!
    Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 17th Oct 2009 at 12:18. Reason: Had to stretch the ultimatum (The Mike's obviously hiding!)

I'm a little late to the party, but: great review Mike! Hope we will see another one of your absurd lists in the near future.

Though I must say I missed the first mission of Ruins of Originia here, I'm still in the middle of the level and don't dare to continue... It's like the Maw but with undead!

(And by the way, I guess when you will do the Top 10 Strangest FMs you also should play the super-duper-hard Rebellion of the Builder. Good look with that!)

Reviewing: "Love Story II" by john9818a

It's not really my best review and I wrote it a long time ago, but I did start reviewing the Love Story series, didn't I?

Game: Thief II
    Author: john9818a (John Denison)
    Mission: Love Story II
    Released: 20th Aug 2005

Description

"You have just arrived at your old apartment to find all of your stuff is gone. The landlord must have evicted you while you were in jail. To make matters worse, the girl you took the ring to wasn't really Jeni at all. Apparently she moved to Victorian Estates while you were in jail.

The first objective is to get the ring back. It shouldn't be too hard considering you were just there earlier and the city is completely accessible... at least until the city becomes aware...

The second objective is to get to John's house and wait for further instructions in the basement."

You start things in the same city you were in before. You do the easy objectives given, be amused by everyone sleeping outside like homeless people (it's meant for realism, since chances are you KOed everone) unless you took ghost difficulty and...

...Oh, wait, that's not the end of it yet, sorry!
    This mission has a part 2, by my pleasent surprise (well, I was expecting something more, just not that much more). So there you've come - another place of the same city, climate is completely changed, but their hate for you remains scary as ever. You now venture in a completely different and larger section of the city and personally I like it. I was a bit fed up with that part city anyway.

Insight

It's a (surprise, surprise) city type of mission. There is a lot of stuff going on like in a true city and it's just wrapped in fun! It practically consists of many little things. The author likes to go in detail. For example take a look at this fella sleeping! Isn't he cute?

I would gladly give him something warm, like a cup of tee and a blanket, but I just couldn't find those. All I ever find are dewdrops and apples!

There are many choices to climb onto some ledges and show off your taffer skills by finding those pieces of loot or trying to climb out of the map.

This mission looks architectually very good. Many random house layouts and the crooked strets give a taste of... what's the word... realism? Yes, I think that's the word! The choice of textures was also generally ok, but some really didn't fit in my opinion (more in the start). It was just beautiful later on in the mission. And the lights... Made the mission a joy to look at.
    Comparing this mission to the prequel mission, I think it's safe to say, that it sounds better now. The rain, some other atmoshperic ambient sounds here & there, so at some points you should get really immersed. If not, try calming music.

Personally, it got tedious after all that searching around, but when I tried it another day, I was just happy about all the exploring there. Either it was me or not, but I did kinda wanted more interesting readables tool.

These guys here united in killing me. Amusingly, when I hid myself, they decided to just kill each other. Good riddance

I was both interested and amused by a mage in a random city apartment.

I love that lightening! I want some more of that.

From one attic... To another attic.

It was cool to see some crooked streets, as it most likely was in medieval ages. Bonus point to realism.

Just another piece of architecture I enjoyed to look at

Verdict

I saw definite improvements in just about every aspect of this mission. It's really hard to judge this mission, though. It's fun, just misses something in my very humble opinion. Then again, I played this FM a long time ago and I had some more stress back then. Maybe it's that... I guess I'll find out when I play it at a better time.
    Last edited by Thor; 17th Oct 2009 at 09:42.

Reviewing: "Heading Out" by Camus

Mission: Heading Out
    Author: Camus
    Released: 10th Aug 2008
    Game: Thief II
    Mission Thread: here

Description

Short version...

Last week at the pub, I overheard two men talking about a strange sword they had recovered during an expedition. The bartender told me that they were archeologists working for a man named Jones, and he was very willing to part with an address when I presented a purse of coins. He also told me this Mr Jones had already used the sword and some other trinkets from his last expedition to pay off a debt to a local small-time lord.
    Luckily this Lord Wizer lives close by, in an old keep he bought from the Hammerites when they left to guard the more important locations in the city.

Insight

I love this FM. The structure of most buildings is pretty much created for Thief le parkour, including rope arrows. I run and run and almost regrettably check every door. About a half of them aren't frobbable, so the amount of gameplay may be deceptive, but the good thing is this FM never keeps you in one place. I think without the extreme loot requirement this FM would be perfect for speedrunning. About the loot - I myself luckily enough found all secrets and I was psyched about it, but I still ended up missing short of the required loot. I think the author should have made the difficulties, even if just for the loot drop.

This mission does not have as much readables as one might wish (kinda like in OMs), but it is all there in the game. There are signs to rooms that matter and notes about stuff needed to be explained. Personally I prefer it that way, that's why I like this FM and it's idea. Of course I don't mind more readables that go into detail or just some random stories, but sometimes just keeping to the base is just good enough.

This mission has a great city designs, where the unenterable doors kind of help out. It's only annoying, when you have to check each and every one of the doors to make sure ye don't miss everything. But once you know your way around, you're free to experiment and virtually overcome your fear of heights and become crazy!

Even when the big houses threathen to look boxy and boring from the outside, the author managed to save that by adding different textures to various levels and make some balconies or make some balconies or something. Same with everything else, the author made the design realistic and logical throughout the map, which was something I don't see that often around and what I didn't quite appreciate the first time I played this FM, because it was one of my first.

The Author sure liked to build everything open and big. If you ask me, it's a good change from all the short claustophobic streets.

I wonder what happened here...

Well... a fall from this height could hurt...

Should I put him out of his misery?

A nice evening by the fire.

I let this picture show off just for the ceiling. Actually, there's a lot of this ceiling throughout the map.

This kitchen rocks. This is the place where I noticed, how the author implements torches in wooden houses and make it more fire safe. Not that any of that could happen in Thief. Sad, when you think of the beautiful bonfire of a mansion you would witness.

This place also rocks. Even if just for the high resolution textures.

Conclusion

I think this FM is nice and very interactive and got relatively little attention from the public. That and this FM burdening me for over a year and replaying it motivated me to make this review, hope ye liked it.

Classical Master 2008
    Okay, taffers, time for something different: a review of three Dark Mod fan missions released with the starting package. Spoiler-free, although if you want a complete surprise, do skip this post. I will not go into an in-depth analysis of TMA here, except to say it exceeded my expectations Ė it is way more advanced than I thought it would be at the time of its release. No, the objective is to see how these FMs stack up to those we have seen for TDP and TMA.

The Outpost by angua and greebo

This mission was created as a speedbuilding exercise to showcase how much can be accomplished with the TDM editor under one week (or 50 man hours). Our hero, NotGarrett (thatís how I named him, at least), learns of a valuable golden ingot hidden in a Builder (NotHammer) monastery, and he decides to strike before it is forged into one of the ornaments these religious fanatics have on display.

The mission is simple and straightforward: your target is a three-floor complex with chapel, dormitories, kitchen and stores, and the main challenge lies in evading the patrols, which are generously spaced with a lot of shadows and relatively few dangerous surfaces to practice your tapdancing skills (NotGarrett is as much a practitioner of the art as his long-lost cousin). The architecture is not particularly fancy: this is your quick Dromed level, only dressed up in TDMís nicer clothes Ė unlike the splendid training mission with its lovingly crafted city and dark dungeons, it does not feature any outstanding features. However, considering the goal the creators had, I donít consider this a severe problem: in fact, what it may prove is that TDM is a member of the family, and you donít need all the technical wizardry to create something enjoyable for it. Also, while the visuals are modest, the Builders behave believably, and the various readables invest them with a degree of authenticity. Also, the simple architecture is dressed up well with object placement, many of which can be manipulated and used for your nefarious ends.

The Chalice of Kings by Fidcal

In this mansion mission, NotGarrettís objective is to steal the treasures of Mudgeon, a thief who has beaten him to a score and now lives comfortably in a nice mansion protected by guards and security systems. Starting from a small yard, you have to figure out how to break in without being seen, lift the valuables on display, and leave unnoticed.

I admit this FM did not start very impressive: the starting area and the initial corridors were rather bare and simple, and the gameplay very linear. Fortunately, there is significant improvement afterwards, and although this is nothing that hasnít been seen before, the interiors of the mansion are a good mixture of Victorian comfort and mediaeval grime, making good use of architectural features and objects to create a lived-in feel. Your main challenge will be evading the patrols, which are thick and alert, but this is spiced up with some well-constructed puzzles, one particularly hard to pull off correctly. Finally, although there are not that many readables, they are entertainingly written, and show a wider world beyond the mission constraints. All in all, this is a worthy sequel to Thiefís Den, and shows some of the possibilities with the mod.

The Crown of Penitence by Jesps

Much like the previous, this is a mansion mission focused on getting a priceless trinket from a nobleman who looks like the twin brother of the unfortunate Mudgeon (thatís most likely a problem with the current availability of models and model heads for TDM, and will certainly be remedied in the future). There is little to say, since the FM is fairly small and straightforward Ė sneak around guards, servants and the manor lord, and steal everything valuable. If anything, this was the mission with the most polished architecture, making good use of the engineís curving surfaces and capacity for handling fine detail. There were some minor pathfinding issues (a guard who kept walking into a table), and I donít think the feature which let AI notice missing loot was well considered here (unlike in Chalice, where there was a proper workaround), but all in all, it was a pleasant playing experience.

Screenshots:
    Outpost:

Chalice:

Crown:

Just for another page in The Random Chronicles, when SneakyJack reviewed Bob, THIS was the screen, that ultimately made me play through the Bob series with no hesitation and even with all the ridiculously high expectations, I wasn't disappointed at all, when I got to the library, I was PSYCHED, AMAZED, HAPPY! The atmosphere, lights, textures implemented, long ladders... aaaahhh...

Best screen ever!

Great reviews guys, I really enjoyed reading them!

Thor02: It's kinda funny that I was just recently talking about making a list of great FMs that didn't get the attention they deserve like I'm some cultured FM snob, and then you mention one that I've never played. BOY IS MY FACE RED. Seriously, I've never heard of "Heading Out", but I'm getting it now. I have a reputation as "FM guru" to keep up after all...(Well...there is ONE guy who calls me FM guru, anyway. I don't really know him and he's always being chased by men in white coats carrying large nets; still, I like the nickname).
    Also I like your last post, keep those obscure callbacks to my previous reviews comin'. They make the world a happier place.

Melan: I actually didn't know the dark mod had been released until about 2 hours ago. Sometimes it sucks being completely oblivious. Anyway, I got it now and I pretty much agree with your opinions on all three currently released missions. Personally, I can't wait until Yandros whips something up for it. (You hear that Yandros? Eh? EH?!)

StickyFingers: There's a whole lotta FMs on that list you made earlier that I've never even heard of- GOD I'M SUCH A POSER. I'm trying the archery tournament one right now, playing it I can feel my credibility rising. As far as your payment for the list idea goes...go to the nearest city park, there you will find a man wearing a white hat holding a briefcase. When you see him, say "The Batman is in the fridge", he will hand you the briefcase. Inside you will find directions to where the 10,000 Mike points have been dropped off; though I should warn you in advance that getting to them will require 25 feet of wire, some heavy explosives, and a cheese grader scotch taped to a bottle rocket (Why? GOOD GOD MAN THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN). Godspeed, my friend.

PotatoGuy: Thanks for the comment man, almost missed it! You get 10,000 Mike points also, you should find them on the top shelf of your desk (sorry Sticky, it's easier for some people...).
    Last edited by The Mike; 18th Oct 2009 at 20:45. Reason: I didn't realize I could write down here! HI MOM!

Thanx, Mike, got 'em (will call off the lawyer).
    But that cheese grater scotch taped to a bottle rocket was a mean trick - as soon as I get out of hospital...

But that cheese grater scotch taped to a bottle rocket was a mean trick - as soon as I get out of hospital...
    You were obviously not using the correct style of cheese grater. These things are very precise, I can't be held responsible for user error (and if you're looking to sue somebody, I feel I should state that it was TOTALLY PotatoGuy's idea. DON'T YOU DENY IT, MR. POTATO).

And while it's still all fresh and new I think I'm going to do my own write-up on the dark mod next, before I get to more lists and reviews. I definitely have a lot to say about it.

Like 2 hours ago I finished playing Broken Triad. They made my past 2 days a lot better. Admittedly, they were frustrating like hell at some points, as imho the author is a mad and evil genius, but with some help I managed to do it, yay... Now, that I've played one of the most epic FMs out there, I suppose I can rest for several days before starting the next most epic FMs playthrough. Eventually I'll have to play Mission X too.

Sayonara...

It's been a short while since I last posted. Finally wrote another Thief review;

What Lies Below: The Crusade for the Old Quarter

Cool.

Since you tend to review the top shelf FMs (didn't even know, that What Lies Below was one), will you review Broken Triad and maybe Inverted Manse? Incidentally, I've heard rumors it's the next TIS mission.

Those two are deffinitely on my todo list, one of these days; I need to give The Inverted Manse two more playthroughs first. I have quite a lot of stuff in my log to get through as well, I actually decided to stop playing FM's until a majority of those are done. As for reviews in general, I'll give anything a review really, just depends when I get to them.

I planned my next Thief reviews to be Drk's Rocksbourg series.

Page 53 of 117 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398103 ... LastLast