TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    I think the most frustrated I've ever been with a fan mission had to be my recent playthrough of Calendra's Legacy Part 2: Midnight At Murkbell.

Just about everything I dislike about a fan mission was thrown into this one all at once.

* Timed objective? Check.
    * Forced ghosting? Check.
    * Both at the same time? Double check.
    * Completely unarmed? Check.
    * Undead everywhere? Check.
    * Putting undead in every main location entrance without giving you any weapons on easy difficulty? Yeap.

I reloaded about 20 times after being massacred by hammer haunts and finally gave up. I replayed it for screenshots knowing that I did not enjoy it the first time - so what can you do, really.

I am not a ghoster (usually) and I do not like to be forced to ghost and I certainly do not like timed objectives but Midnight in Murkbell is STILL my favourite mission of all time!

I sincerely recommend that you (in a few months or so) give this mission one more chance, play on 'Garrett' difficulty, and do like this:

* Deliver the Cylix to the Cardinal within time. Yes, forced ghosting and the stress is a bit frustrating, but weīre talking about like 1% of the total gameplay here!
    Once this is done, failed ghosting does not mean that the mission fails. If I get caught I generally just hop into the canals and move to another part of town so the guards calm down.

* Go to your room, get your gear but DO NOT yet trigger Mercedes and the NLDE event. You can reach most stuff from the side of the bed, and you can hop onto the bed and lean forward to get the last stuff. You now have a BJ but I recommend you do not use it before the NLDE event. Why? Well, the game "kills" several guards once you trigger the undead, and if they are sleeping from you BJing them, it counts as you killed them (= mission fails).

* Instead, get the awesome dagger at the wizardsīplace. One of its powers is that if you switch to it, you become less visible than when unarmed (which helps a lot with sneaking from now on).

Now, prepare to have your socks knocked off while you enjoy the looting and pickpocketing of the entire city. There are many (rather sensitive) guards, so itīs pretty hard in many places, but itīs always doable, with many opportunities to be creative. And like I said before, hop into the canal and swim away if things get hairy.

Once you are done with all this, itīs time for the undead. Over time Iīve come to really enjoy this part as well. Once, I even made it my mission to vanquish them all!.

Once you face the undead, the dagger becomes your best friend. It can even splatter zombies and heal you when you hit (living) enemies. Beware, zombies may explode in your face! Best way is to hit the zombie until it drops, then approach from the 'head' direction, crouch and give it a quick swipe. This is usually a safe way to avoid flying bodyparts.

The arsenal for fighting undead is not bad at all, especially not on the 'footpad' difficulty where you donīt have the sword. I recently replayed on this difficulty. I was not stingy about slaying undead when they were in the way or found me. I finished the mission with all of this still unused: an amulet charge, 16 water arrows, 2 holy waters, a flash bomb and 15 fire arrows.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 30th Jan 2009 at 08:39.

Great post jiansonz - I will take your advice and take a bit of time away from the mission before returning and giving it another try using your method. I appreciate you taking the time to give me a reason to with your well worded and informative post! Sounds like I may have a chance after all.

It just goes to show how greatly diverse the thief community is - my most frustrating mission of all time is your favorite mission - and there is nothing wrong with that

I'll definitely give it another shot in time and perhaps I'll find a new outlook on it.

Sir William's Keep By Wille

Sir William's Keep tells an interesting story about the Hammer faction falling on hard times - thus they are forced to sell their relics to keep afloat. The mission is a bit light on story overall and seems like it could have been fleshed out a bit more, but the gameplay and design are really good and this one packs alot of thief into a relatively small to medium sized area.

Challenge is between middle and low and this one won't take you very long at all to complete your objectives. The outside areas seem a little sparse on looks and have very little to do, but the inside areas are great looking and the shadow placement and guard patrols are done very well.

For a "lunchtime break" mission that is fun, free from frustration and gives you a good opportunity to practice your skill with the blackjack - I highly recommend it.

Screens:

Time to make my way to the top.

Can I kill a guard from this height using only a gold coin? I think you can see the result.

I think I'll move in.

Luckily thief guards are most often legally blind and will not say "Is someone there?" until you are close enough to play patty-cake.

Which one gets it first? A blackjack, that is. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Guard: "Have you heard about that fella that's been runnin' 'round knocking people out? I can't remember what the boss said his name was."
    Guard 2: "I think his name was.. hey.. did you hear something?"

EL KABONG: "KABONG!!"

Exhibit A: The correct way to display swords in a fan mission... by giving Garrett a sword and not taunting him with unusable swords while giving him only a blackjack - causing him to want to beat the taff out of someone. Thank you wille for bringing me back to sanity after the Caledra's Legacy sword debacle.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 30th Jan 2009 at 07:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post

WRT the sexism bit -- in another thread, someone referred to Mercedes as "Skanky McFunbags"

Actually, I think that was me.

Seriously, though, it makes me sad to see female characters being made out to be nothing more than a pair of tits, seemingly, which suddenly reminded me of Keeper of the Prophecies and something I hadn't thought about before:
    Another reason why I really like KoTP is because of the female lead, Aliysha. (or however it's spelled) She's really strong, tricky, not easily intimidated (in one of the missions she dons her own set of wrist knives while fleeing countless thugs and traveling through rough territory) and allegedly sleeps with Garrett but is never made out to be a "skank."
    Compared to Calendra's Legacy she's pretty much the Anti-Mercedes and I really liked her character despite the fact that she. . . well, you'll have to play it to find out 'cause I'm not gonna spoil it, even with tags!

*more KotP praise* Now THERE is a FM series with great story and character development and is certainly not what I'd call canon Thief either.

Mystic Gems Part 1: Unlucky Soul By Wille

The Mystic Gems series is shaping up to be one of the best fan mission series out there. Part 1: Unlucky Soul finds you in search of the Mystic Soul, now in care of a Noble named Lord Gillian - a man slowly being driven mad by the power of the gem and those who would like to obtain it.

This mission is medium sized and the challenge is also medium.

This mission overall is very well done. The texture work is brilliant all around - everything looks very nice. The shadow placement is done very well and for those of you who enjoy ghosting, this level will be a treat. The guard patrols are good as well, the guards seem to cover a good bit of ground, giving you plenty of chances to sneak up before they turn around.

One thing I'd like to point out about this mission (and even moreso in the second part of the Mystic Gems series) is the ambient sound. From the choice of ambient music to the sounds used (hearing water flowing through pipes when you get close and such) is great overall - and this is something most (myself included) overlook far too often when determining the worth of missions. Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to this in every mission I play.

I'm the kind of player that loves frobbable candles, and they are in no short supply here - I really enjoyed that. Give me frobbable candles and light switches on lower difficulty levels and I will enjoy your mission to its fullest. I'm sure that are many that feel that way - and frobbable light sources are criminally underutilized in fan missions as a whole. Having the few electric light switches (perhaps only one total, I cant remember) showing the wiring going from switch to light was a nice detail as well. Little things like this really add to a mission and cause me to notice the love that was put into it by its creator.

I also enjoyed the little touches of comedy. In one instance you find a servants "to do" list, and I laughed out loud when I read "As usual polish the miniature statues and place them in windowsills" or something similar. Finding readables like "to do" lists may seem silly to some, but for me it added mission immersion and humor. There was even a seemingly real cooking recipe added by wille - I thought that was nice as well.

As for what didn't work for me with this one: There was a forced ghosting objective near the end, and I really dislike those. It wasnt terribly difficult or frustrating, but still takes away from the mission for me.

The only other thing I could mention as a negative is the story. Not in the way that you might think, though - there just wasnt enough of it in my opinion. At one point you come across a written look into the descent into paranoia that the noble is going through - but really this is one of the few instances of story in this mission. With writing as good and vivid as this readable is - you want to hear more about it from house staff or guests or even more diary entries from the Gillian himself. This is a minor thing, however - as the story as is works really well. I'm just the type that doesn't want stories to be sparse when they are gripping.

I call this the disappearing guard trick. Behold........

TA-DA! GONE!

The side entrance reminds me of the first mission from the original Thief 2.

The basement areas.

This guy must be important.

Thats a great looking kitchen.

Not pictured: My attempt at a stealth finger poke did not end well.

Diary of a madman.

Wille started this series off with a bang, and only got better as time went on. I highly recommend this one and its second part as well. Which leads us to...

Mystic Gems Part 2: Heart Of Bohn by Wille

This part of the series has you trying to follow up your successful theft of the Mystic Soul from Gillian by adding the Mystic Heart gem to your collection as well. This will involve the heavily guarded and somewhat mysterious Baronial Museum.

Where the Mystic Gems series hit the ground running with Part 1 - the second part goes above and beyond the first. This is a much larger mission with a someone more challenging adventure through an amazing museum setting.

As you'd expect after playing the first part this mission looks stunning. Take the first missions great looks and crank it up a notch while adding a beautiful night sky (complete with great looking moonlight, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me) and attention to detail in decorating far beyond most missions and you get an idea of what to expect looks-wise from part 2. When I say the attention to detail is staggering - take the water mesh in one area for example - the sides contain small bubbles not unlike what you'd see when real water is rushing and creating foamy bubbles in reality. Something like that may never be noticed by the average player - but the author decided to add it anyway, and I respect the hell out of things like that.

The museum has to be seen to be believed - from the moonlight-in-the-windows effects to the banners and decorations - to the "holy cow" stained glass domes.. I cant do it justice by describing it or even showing screenshots - just play the mission and drink it in.

The story is more fleshed out in this entry, which I enjoyed after the thin story of the first mission. The series seems to be getting thicker with its own twists and turns as it goes along - and i'm hoping part 3 has even more. Wille knows how to write a gripping narrative, that much is certain.

There is so much polish and detail in this fan mission that mentioning other things like the excellent shadow placement, lighting and look of the outside of the building itself really are all secondary to the overall achievement. I forgot just how well put together this mission was until I replayed it, and now it's definitely in my list of best of all time.

There are many more guards this time around than the first mission, so you'll have your skills tested much more as well. Lots of marble floors, a large area to cover and an abundance of guards will keep you playing for a few hours without frustrating - the gameplay here is simply fun. Rarely do you see a fan mission with this sort of mix of great looks, great gameplay and balanced challenge.

As far as the negatives of this mission: The only thing I can really think of is the torch puzzle itself. Though not particularly hard (you find a readable that basically spells it out for you) it seemed more trouble that it was worth (im terrible at following maps, so I just ran around the mission for more than an hour after clearing it out extinguishing torches - put one out in the wrong order and had to start again due to me skipping a line of the poem on accident) those kinds of puzzles are not for me. It was original and much better than your typical keyhunt however, so I'm far from complaining. Thats the only non-compliment I can come up for this mission, really.

Part 3 of this mission is near the top of my list for future releases - I encourage you all to play Part 1 and 2 if you have yet to play them. Hell, even if you have, they are worth a replay. Great stuff.

The streets leading to the museum.

Outside the front doors.

Giant fountain statue.

I thought the silhouette of the statue against that amazing sky looked great.

Inside the museum.

Simply epic.

I must have caught this guy at a bad time, he was not friendly at all. Although, "Is this a thief I see before me?" is a pretty dumb question to shout at a fellow cloaked in darkness walking around your private quarters.

The upstairs and a taste of the crazy decoration detail that went into this mission.

I could have posted screenshots by the dozens of all there is to see in this mission - but I'm limited to 8. So play it and see the rest!

Thanks for the reviews SneakyJack. Most readables in MG2 are written by DreamWalker and if he has the time I will surely use his "services" in MG3 .

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    Thanks for the reviews SneakyJack. Most readables in MG2 are written by DreamWalker and if he has the time I will surely use his "services" in MG3 .
    Any chance of you releasing a special edition of Mystic Gems 1 in the future with more story centered around Gillian's decent into madness?

Calendra's Legacy Part 2: Midnight At Murkbell by Purah

This mission.. Oh - this mission.
    Thank you for reminding me properly of the atrocity that is this mission. This mission is as bad as Mission 1 of CL is awesome.

The big points have been mentioned; forced time limit to complete an objective, forced encounters with nigh-on impossible odds against hordes of Undead, another forced encounter that triggers another silly objective, etc. When I originally played this, I spent a couple of days struggling with this mission, trying to make some progress in it. I remember getting stuck because I had no idea what to do after the Undead overran everything that didn't involve Mercedes McBitch...oh, and one of the Undead isn't Undead at all. It's some green monster that shoots stuff at you and has a truckload of hit points. I actually managed to kill it, only to get "Mission Failed" because I killed somebody! That was the breaking point for me. I never even got to the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    oh, and one of the Undead isn't Undead at all. It's some green monster that shoots stuff at you and has a truckload of hit points. I actually managed to kill it, only to get "Mission Failed" because I killed somebody! That was the breaking point for me. I never even got to the sword.
    1. This beast is melee-only. It canīt shoot anything, and itīs almost as slow as dirt. It has scary sounds and an uncanny ability to find you, though.

2. This beast is a saving grace for a no-reloader like me. Since itīs living, and has a ton of HPs, you can easily heal yourself 30+ points over the course of the mission, using the less damaging side-swipes of the sword.

And when you want to get rid of it, there is that neat Vampyre Eye...

I am really enjoying your reviews and screenshots, SneakyJack. I find what you write informative without giving too much away. I have used this thread to check on FMs I haven't played yet and found it helpful. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Creepr View Post
    I am really enjoying your reviews and screenshots, SneakyJack. I find what you write informative without giving too much away. I have used this thread to check on FMs I haven't played yet and found it helpful. Well done.
    I really appreciate that, and I'm glad that you enjoy them. I'm always trying to toe the line with the screenshots and info posted to make the mission as appealing as possible for those who have not tried it but without giving away the twists or all the locations.

The Mirror By Zontik

One of the frustrating things about this mission is that I want so badly to like it - I really do. Its obvious that a ton of work technically and otherwise was put into this mission - its very ambitious in what it tries to do.. which makes the little things that really got to me all that much more frustrating. I'm hoping that someday Zontik will consider releasing a special edition of this mission with a few changes - I know that I would definitely give it a re-play and re-review if that was the case.

This mission has you searching for a mysterious mirror and encountering the crazy events that unfold during your search. You find out that the mirror isnt the only thing that has been moving around behind the shadows.

The first thing that threw me on this mission was starting out in a somewhat modern setting with computers and electronic coffee makers - something that looks very weird and out of place in the dark engine.. and though you find out it was just a dream within the first minute or two of the mission - it still threw me a bit. That and the awful translation at the beginning that is supposed to be explaining the entire point of the mission to you - but is in such broken english that I wish the author would have just taken five minutes to seek out an english speaker to re-translate it into actual english that didn't come from a translation site. Honestly, just as bad as the mumbling in the Haddur series bothered me in one mission because I couldn't understand any of it - this one bothered me as well. I have no problem with the voice acting (which is good enough and not in english) being subtitled - but honestly - 90% of the translation makes no sense.

Everything happens to occur for the first time some day.
    An actual quote from the woman at the beginning of the mission giving you the entire point of the mission - most of which you'll really not understand. Reading that sentence more than once is not recommended, as your head will soon begin to ache.

So at this point I know there is a mirror, and that apparently DO NOT KILL UNARMED was in big letters and was one of the only things I understood - so we're off to be aimlessly thrown into the mission. Also apparently the person sending you out is not the woman but some mysterious benefactor that won't reveal themselves.

The mission itself is pretty fun from a gameplay perspective. There are some varied locations, a bit of mystery thrown in at one point and even a bit of thieves highway type roof jumping shenanigans to keep things fresh. But with the ledge and roof jumping comes another problem.. One of the jumps at the beginning (after climbing a tower) gives you a sliver of brick wall no thicker than one brick itself to first jump onto then off of - and I probably fell three times before actually catching the end of the brick BEFORE I could make the jump. Play this mission, you'll see what I mean.

Another thing that punched my ticket to frustration city was the bit of swimming under the mansion that saw me getting caught randomly on the tunnel for no apparent reason and drowning twice before I got to my destination. Not fun - I thought it may have been a fluke the first time but got caught again on a retry without getting close to the edges of the tunnel.

The shadow placement in the mansion itself is almost non-existent without using all your water arrows (which isnt a big deal) but it'd be nice to have an area here or there to hide that isnt completely under a set of stairs.

Now that all that is out of the way - this mission is still alot of fun. There is an interesting bit in the police station that you learn through readables has made your blackjack useless (so watch yourself!) and there are tons of nice technical tricks all over big and small (waving signs, an escalator, little touches that really add to the mission) and some humor as well (try blackjacking the picture of the guard in the watch station - very funny) and a good story as well.

This mission will take some time as there are lots of keys involved (three colored keys for one of the main gates that you must collect from completely different locations) so don't plan on finishing this one quickly - but there is alot of good stuff to be seen. Also - watch picking up the mirror when you find it - you might not be ready just yet.. thats all I'll say with that hint.

Aesthetically the mission looks very good. The locations are interesting and well built (some built into each other) and the area is fairly large that you end up covering. I do recommend this mission, but only if you have a decent amount of patience.

Screens:

Not pictured: The innkeeper hanging himself after attempting dromed for the first time.

Somewhere housed within that mansion is the item you are looking for. Oh, and almost no shadows. Good luck!

The mansion's inside.

Can-can-can-can't stop the beat. Everybody mov-mov-move your feet.

A look outside from above.

Was that flag an oversight (looks like the default dromed texture) or was that a bit of humor by not texturing it?

Here is the jump from hell. See that little tiny sliver of brick? Yeah, you gotta get on that before you can jump to the other ledge of the larger building. Keep your healing potions handy.

Keeper Investigations Part 1: Dawn Of A New Age By Intruder

The Keeper Investigations series tells the story of the rise of the Mechanists after the defeat of the Trickster - and the twists and turns that follow. How will this rise effect the city? What exactly are they planning? Well, thats exactly what the keepers want you to investigate.

Part 1 starts out in the city with Garrett trying to get a hold on exactly what he is up against by following the keepers request. Filled with the now weakened Hammers, Mechanists and the City Watch - getting from one end to the other will be no easy task - though there will be plenty of loot and rooftop opportunities along the way.

Gameplay wise - this mission is very fun. Intruder knows what makes a fan mission fun - and displays it proudly in the first mission in the series. Lots of great shadows to keep you hidden, tons of building to building thieves highway activity (particularly well done, with a few different entryways into some of the buildings and houses) and a large amount of guards to hand deliver some naptime via blackjack. Though the city is heavily populated with guards on patrol - you have multiple routes at any one time to try your luck at sneaking past close quarters (which is possible) or to completely bypass from above, which is great fun. Short version: If you enjoy what makes thief fun, you will enjoy this mission.

As far as looks, this is a good looking mission. The texture choices were great (I particularly liked the red brick texture for some of the homes) and the architecture is very fun. The very beginning may hand you a drink of frustration with some of the rope arrow work (window ledges with shudders that come outward and a particularly difficult jump to a ledge) but overall don't push your patience far enough to worry about. The buildings are linked together very well, and jumping from roof to roof or building to building is easy leaving you with little to no frustrating falls.

Overall this mission is very solid and a great deal of fun to play - it will reward those who are brave with the rope arrows with a few secrets. During the first few minutes of the mission you may think it will be a quick in and out (I did) and a small area - but as you play it opens up further and further until you've covered a fairly large area.

A great start to the series, a very good mission overall and lots of fun. Highly recommended.

Either this guy is training the new guy on patrol, or they are playing a very complicated game of shadow.

Some nice texture choices in the city.

Hammers, Guards and Patsies.

The two guards on the right are guarding an apparently very important but un-enterable texture door.

Great building to building rooftop shenanigans.

Watch your step, a fall from here could break some eggs - if you get what I'm sayin'.

Another look up high.

Warning: Spoiler Image Ahoy!

Keeper Investigations Part 2: Ocean Freight By Intruder

Part two begins by having you follow the mechanists to a dock area where you'll soon discover that their mischief runs deeper than you thought.. No pun intended. (awful submarine joke!)

It is in this mission that Intruder's campaign really begins to shine. The entire mission takes place on a shipping dock that houses many buildings - each with their own unique "contents" so to speak. You'll encounter many different enemies from the thief universe within - and they are all placed well in that it makes sense for them to all be in such a location.

Gameplay wise this mission is my favorite of the three - It is a blackjack lovers paradise. One of the optional objectives on easy is not blackjacking more than 6 times during the entire mission (thanks to intruder for making that a bonus objective instead of a fail) but if you are anything like me, you'll easily finish with double or three times that amount. Not being a ghoster myself (and finding blackjacking the most satisfying way to proceed) I doubt I could keep it under six in this mission - it is pretty heavily populated.

Like the previous mission, Intruder manages to toe the line very well between challenge and overdoing it with how many enemies you will encounter. There are a ton of different foes in this mission but their patrol routes and placement are so well done that you'll never be frustrated or too far outmatched to where you cant sneak up or make your escape if need be. I really enjoy how many enemies the first two missions gave you to work with - it made the missions seem more active and "alive" rather than sparse and unpopulated.

As far as looks, this mission is a joy to play because of the construction. Water all around you for escape if need be, lots of wood textures make it nice on the eyes and overall very well done. The inside of the buildings are filled to the brim with shipping containers, loot and cargo of all kinds.

If you are a fan of pirate style missions, dock missions or anything involving water - this is where the campaign will really have the rubber meeting the road for you. I really can't find much negative to say about this mission other than I wish it had went on longer and been bigger - but thats more of a compliment (the mission is not that small at all) than a complaint.

Just like the first mission, this one is filled with things that make thief great, and is just alot of fun.

The docks await you, taffer.

Side shot of the docks - don't mind the bodies, they are just napping.

If seeing three thieves right next to each other doesn't make you cringe, it should. These guys are relentless.

Looks like business is picking up.

Uh oh.

Lanterns. Why did it have to be lanterns?

Lantern guards, I find, make excellent target practice.

Johnson! This is no time to nap in the sauna, there is a thief on the loose!

Keeper Investigations Part 3: At The Wrong Party By Intruder

Part three has finding yourself on a ship with the only sound being your own breath after a mysterious event in the first few seconds of the mission leaves the crew slain and you looking for answers.

This one is a complete departure from the style of the other two in that you'll be working with much smaller areas and solving some fairly simple puzzles to find a way out of your current situation.

Gameplay wise this mission was probably my least favorite of the three so far, but it is by no means a boring or un-fun mission to play - just very different. Its hard to explain alot without giving away some of the best surprises, but I will say that this mission displays some fun technical tricks and has you practicing your diving skills much more than most fan missions.

Storywise the mission is excellent and really gives you a sense that something strange and terrible has happened - and you feel a mild panic of being alone on a ship and having to put together a makeshift plan to get yourself out of there. Unlike most fan missions however, you'll be spending more time outside the ship than in most likely. Again, more excellent readables further the story of what the crew were working on before the event.

I look forward to parts four and five and finding out what happens with the story - and I'm sure Intruder will not disappoint when he releases the next installment in the series.

Only a few screens due to this being a smaller mission and me not wanting to give away everything. I tried to get a few good shots of the open sea and skyline, but it completely washed out when I tried adjusting the brightness and contrast like I normally do so I couldn't use them.

I know I didn't do this - so who did?

Screw finding out whats going on, I'm getting drunk and playing tunes.

These look complicated.

Dive, dive!!

A look through the periscope to give you an idea just how far you'll be diving.

So far we're at 41 missions and counting! If anyone has used the screenshots or recommendations by myself or others to check out missions you might have missed - please let us know what you thought after you played the missions - regardless of whether you agreed or disagreed with our thoughts. I'd like to hear many more opinions on missions. Also, I'm not trying to hog the show here - I'd like to see screenshots and reviews from everyone else as well!

Nothing annoys me more than seeing computers or water closets in Thief missions.

I agree with everything you said about The Mirror and the Keeper Investigations campaign SneakyJack. Reading what you wrote, it was as if I had written it myself!

I only made that jump in The Mirror successfully one time, after over a hundred tries!! I really enjoyed the mission though. But this is one mission I would never have been able to get through without help from the forum.

I eagerly await the rest of the Keeper Investigations campaign. I just love intruder's work!

That you picked my missions and gave them so good credits really honors me SneakyJack!
    For the last missions of Keeper Investigations I can promise that it will be a mix of completely different settings / locations again.

I showed this thread to a friend of mine who allways complains about the "outdated" look of the DarkEngine. After he had seen some of your screenshots from Seven Sisters and A Night In Rocksbourg he was really impressed

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    Nothing annoys me more than seeing computers or water closets in Thief missions.
    I think done in the right context (a futuristic mission) it is alright - but beginning The Mirror out with that was really offbase, even if it was a flashback or dream. Starting out on past thief and then flashing to present would have worked alot better. I don't know if anyone quit after seeing the computer on the first screen, but I thought about it the first time I played the mission, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannar View Post
    I agree with everything you said about The Mirror and the Keeper Investigations campaign SneakyJack. Reading what you wrote, it was as if I had written it myself!

I only made that jump in The Mirror successfully one time, after over a hundred tries!! I really enjoyed the mission though. But this is one mission I would never have been able to get through without help from the forum.

I eagerly await the rest of the Keeper Investigations campaign. I just love intruder's work!
    I'm glad someone relates - I was kinda worried bout the tone of my review and people thinking I was slamming it for small reasons - but really - when you make gameplay completely frustrating or break immersion it really isnt a small thing. And I agree that after you get over those bumps it really is a well put together mission.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    That you picked my missions and gave them so good credits really honors me SneakyJack!
    For the last missions of Keeper Investigations I can promise that it will be a mix of completely different settings / locations again.

I showed this thread to a friend of mine who allways complains about the "outdated" look of the DarkEngine. After he had seen some of your screenshots from Seven Sisters and A Night In Rocksbourg he was really impressed
    I remember being a tester for the first mission - and when I sent you my suggestions you were really great about taking feedback and you seemed to have fixed or changed most of the things that people suggested to you - probably my most pleasant testing experience thus far. And trust me, I've had a bad one or two - some folks here should not ask for testing if they are just going to make comments like "if you found (random advice) frustrating then you need to have better thief skills). I still to this day refuse to comment on said authors missions or ever test for them again after how I was treated in that experience. Hell, the mission was released without some of the major stuff even changed or fixed. I didn't get to test two or three but they came out really great, and are a joy to play. I look forward to the next ones.

And about your friend - its awesome that you showed my shots to someone and they were impressed - I'm glad that I could play a small part in showing off some of the amazing work that authors like Lady Rowena and DrK put into these masterpieces for all of us to enjoy. Just trying to give back by sharing as many missions with folks as I can due to me not being able to handle making a mission of my own - its the least I can do

On a side note - I was replaying Durant recently and was on an elevator in the mechanist building when one of them shot a crossbow bolt at me that hit the elevator button - and sent me up to the next floor. Never had that happen before

I remember being a tester for the first mission - and when I sent you my suggestions you were really great about taking feedback and you seemed to have fixed or changed most of the things that people suggested to you - probably my most pleasant testing experience thus far. And trust me, I've had a bad one or two - some folks here should not ask for testing if they are just going to make comments like "if you found (random advice) frustrating then you need to have better thief skills). I still to this day refuse to comment on said authors missions or ever test for them again after how I was treated in that experience. Hell, the mission was released without some of the major stuff even changed or fixed.
    Well this is indeed not fair to you. But I can understand this behavior from a certain point of view. If you put hundreds of hours of work into something and then you'll hand it to people who'll tear it appart and show you all of your faults and mistakes it can get frustrating. Then you'll sit until 4:00 in the morning in front of your PC, fixing things just to realize that on the day after that, the same problems reoccur. People who cannot deal with criticism from others, may say something stupid / bad in that situation.

But it is most important to be as friendly and kind to your testers as possibble because they are also doing a hard job. Voluntarily.
    I was lucky to have very good testers (including you ) for all of my 3 missions so far and it was fun to work with them.

And about your friend - its awesome that you showed my shots to someone and they were impressed
    The one I showed the screenshots to is part of the game developing team I'm involved with at the university. Sometimes we have those small "arguments" how to solve a certain problem with our own game engine. He always comes up with "But in the SourceEngine they did ...." and my reply: "Yeah, they put that into Thief as well, about 10 years earlier"
    So I showed him your screenshots to convince him that the DarkEngine ain't that bad. After viewing the screens he was like: "So where are the screenshots taken with the DarkEngine? I can't be them..."

Thats a great story about your friend - I'm sure if the creators of the dark engine saw these missions this community is cranking out they'd be just as shocked if not more.

About the testing situation, I completely understand about missions that you've poured your heart and soul into being criticized. My suggestions to this particular author were more "this will break the fun for many non ghosters" suggestions (I try to go into testing from the viewpoint of someone that hasnt played hundreds of fan missions like I have - the casual player I guess) and was shot down and told that my suggestions were just because of my poor thief skills. I put aside more than 10 hours (over a few versions) of my life for this mission to try not just to break it and find bugs - but to make sure it was fun. Can't win 'em all I guess.

I would be glad to test any of your future missions and would be honored if you chose me to be part of the testing team.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 2nd Feb 2009 at 18:50.

Just got done playing the newly released Lost Castle By Cardia1

This mission sees you once again traveling to a different planet and taking place in a giant castle setting. (Two of Cardia1's trademarks at this point I think)

Gameplaywise this mission is alot of fun. You'll have dozens of blackjack opportunities over the course of this huge castle romp - and there will be no shortage of situations for you to truly test your skills. Most of the castle is comprised of huge open areas and stone floors (with a few marble exceptions that are quite noisy as you'd expect. You'd do a ton of running, which can get mentally tiring (go figure) but overall no frustrating puzzles or situations. Well - other than one. There is one spot that will have you climbing up into a room with an archer facing the ladder who will plunk you with an arrow or two before you can get to him. This happens more than once - and from what I saw there is no way to avoid getting hit at least once - Garrett just isnt that fast.

Storywise its pretty thin here, but really, the gameplay is why you play Cardia 's missions. I really didnt care for the whole "space garrett traveling to other planets yet here we are in a medieval castle" explanation - but at least its different. Cardia could have swapped out a blue sky for the orange one and put it in typical thief time and and it would have been just the same to me.

Looks wise this mission is incredible looking. The textures are crisp and gritty, the spaces are huge and open but well decorated and lit (could have used a few more water arrows being that there are dozens and dozens of torches in this mission) and the lighting and sunlight effects are very nice looking. The castle is well built and never becomes too confusing despite its size. Overall very well done.

This mission may lead to a little bit more combat than you'd like if you are a ghoster, but for me it was just right and can be blackjacked through with no problem. Highly recommended!

Screens:

Fire in the sky

The textures on the guards are very nice looking.

Don't mind the blood spot on the floor.. One of the guards had an unfortunate accident that I may or may not have helped with.

Captain Fancypants enjoys pacing back and forth in his bedroom.

Great work with the lighting.

Not pictured: Me getting shot in the back with an arrow as I took this screen.

At least those on other planets still enjoy marble flooring.

Pretty cinematic.

There is one spot that will have you climbing up into a room with an archer facing the ladder who will plunk you with an arrow or two before you can get to him. This happens more than once - and from what I saw there is no way to avoid getting hit at least once - Garrett just isnt that fast.
    It is possible to get up there without getting hit. In fact, it is possible to ghost the mission believe it or not. Just very, very challenging (and time consuming).

Page 8 of 117 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108 ... LastLast