TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 83 of 116 FirstFirst ... 33384348535863687378798081828384858687889398103108113 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2888

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    Thanks Summer for the review, I hope so others see it so.
    Thank you, Sensut, for a great campaign I await more missions and campaigns from you!

YAAAAY, THE MEGATHREAD IS BACK! It's true that you just can't kill this thread, it's like the world's most stubborn zombie. In fact, this thread is probably the only other thing besides cockroaches and Twinkies that could survive the apocalypse.

I really enjoyed that review Summer, your writing style is improving constantly, and this was easily your best one yet! Great screenshots too, they really motivated me to get back to work on this one. I stopped playing for some reason halfway through mission 2...damn my short attention span.

St Albans Cathedral

This mission is a new release from Bikerdude for The Dark Mod. Things have been quiet over there for a little wile now, but I've been looking forward to this mission. It was definitely worth the wait!

Spoilers may follow

The main goal is to infiltrate the cathedral, frame a certain character and steal a holy object. However, the mission is much more complex than that. You start out with only one lockpick, and almost no other equipment. Seems it was all taken by the watch. Don't worry though, you'll be getting your gear back. This isn't a forced-ghosting mission or anything like that.

There's a small town for you to explore here, complete with a tavern, apartments to break in to, shop here and there, a sewer system, a nice looking underground cave, and of course the city watch building. Don't forget the cathedral, complete with a crypt! Many places have several entry points, be they the roof, the sewer, the backyard, or the plain old front door.

This mission felt like a next-gen Thief level. It is very non-linear. You can go directly to recover your gear, directly for the cathedral, or just pick-pocket all of the guards and see where their keys can get you. The original plan was to have multiple starting points based on difficulty, but that was scrapped because of potential confusion. I personally feel that multiple starting points would have added even more to the mission.

As far as sound goes, this FM is top-notch. Much like Thief, every area here feels alive. There is almost always an ambient track playing, or background sounds to draw you into the world. The lack of these things was a complaint of mine regarding some early TDM missions. I especially like the music that plays in the sewers and the cathedral here. That sewer music is haunting!

This mission looks amazing, especially considering it was made in just a couple of months. The cathedral is probably the coolest looking area of the map, but I also think the caves are very nice. In the cave there's a small boat at the dock that gently bobs around in the water. There's also a 3d waterfall, (I still remember when waterfalls were just an animated texture!) The apartments in the town are all very detailed as well, with pots, desks, bottles, bathrooms, beds, you name it. The map flows naturally together in this way, and I never asked myself "what is the point of this empty room?" or anything like that.

Now for some screenshots. Download this mission and have fun exploring!

Here's the cathedral from the opposite angle. Check out the amount of detail on the pages. You can read it from a distance with the spyglass.

Check out the refraction through the glass here. You have to see it in game while circling around it and watching the perspective of the world change on the other side to appreciate it!

Here are the caves!

Here are the sewers. Look at the detail, even on the pipe! I still find it unbelievable that a laptop can do this.

... and one more shot of the cathedral, showing one of the accessible balconies.
    Last edited by lost_soul; 2nd Nov 2010 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Don't forget the cathedral, complete with a crypt!
    Aaaaand I'm sold! The undead in darkmod are so damn cool, the possibility of more zombies and haunts (er, revenants) is all I needed to get me off my ass and downloading this. Well, that and those screenshots look really nice (it seems like every darkmod author knows how to make caves look friggen mind-blowing).

Nice review, Lost Soul!

I second Mike's rave: Excellent review, Lost Soul Great pictures, detailed descriptions of things you liked. Write more reviews, I tells ya

Note that the font overlapping issue in one of the above screenshots is likely because I modified my PK4 files to increase some font sizes... perhaps a bit too much.

Wow! Glad at least some people have given up on being lazy.

That's gonna be a looot to read through. (I'm a slower reader than You^2)

Everytime I see this thread, I die a little inside as I've not been playing Thief / Reviewing FMs for a long while now. I should get off my butt...

I disagree. It's easier to play FMs if you're sitting down.

Quote Originally Posted by quakis View Post
    Everytime I see this thread, I die a little inside as I've not been playing Thief / Reviewing FMs for a long while now. I should get off my butt...
    ^^ this

This segment is called “Eye on Springfield” … ehr … (whoops, sorry, Simpsons)

Take two: This segment is called “Eye on Thief” – which is funny on so. many. levels.

Anyway… Here’s an Xmas oriented triple review. These are FMs I play during the Christmas holidays because they have a wintery, Xmas-y feel to them that appeals to me. I won’t go into deep reviews, namely just a few general comments and then some pictures with a Christmas theme. Enjoy!

Start with this one: Gathering at the Inn by the CoSaS team.

Mission: The story tells the tale of a thief named Dante who works for a thieves’ guild, the Circle, run by Master Nightfall. This is Dante’s first solo mission. Your task is to steal a scepter from a Fire Mage visiting the Grieving Burrick Inn – and as a diversion to steal scepters from five other guests, too, and to rob the Inn from top to bottom. Ruining the affairs of some of these less-than-good-mannered guests is a bonus. You can’t attack any of these guests or even let them see you, or the mission is a bust.

Comments: This mission looks, sounds and plays great with a capital G. The falling snow and the ambience, Dante’s posh (but hot) accent comments and hilarious guard and bar staff conversations, and the multilevel Inn. All have been done to perfection. This isn’t specifically a Christmas mission, but for some reason in my mind it is attached to Xmas. You should start with this FM for the holidays because it is in many ways a typical thief-y sneaker, just in a winter setting.

Snowy streets…

The warmth of the Tavern.

Meeting a friend.

Move on to this one: The Night Before Christmas by Dark Shadow

Mission: Santa Claus was arrested by the Hammerites as a heretic and forced to leave town for good. Now it’s up to Garrett to get a hold of Santa’s wish list, get some money from a rich, mean factory owner for the presents, then find/steal presents and food from shops here and there, and lastly distribute the presents to the right people around town.

Comments: While you get to be a thief here, rob houses and steal loot, basically this is a do-good mission where you are responsible for bringing the holiday cheer to people. This is the season of giving after all. This is a fun city exploration mission in a winter setting. The Hammerite cathedral is striking with its beautiful lighting, as are the custom-made Xmas street lights. The fun gifts you get range from victrolas to teddybears. This should be your second mission because while there’s basic thievery going on, the Christmas theme puts you in the driver seat of Santa’s sleigh, so to speak. You get to be both good and bad in this one.

The City looks definitely bearable from up here.

The Christmas street lights. Nice…

Christmas shopping – or in this case stealing.

Singing carols around the Xmas tree… Too bad the guards take offense to my presence.

Then we move onto the last one, straight on Xmas FM: A Thief’s Holiday 2004 by Yandros

Mission: No loot, no weapons, no guards, no thief-y sneaking through night-time cities. You have friends coming over for Xmas so you have to get your house in the proper condition to receive them. You have to clean the house, prepare food and drink, and generally get the place into the right mood for the holidays.

Comments: On easy this takes about five minutes, on expert could be as much as an hour if you haven’t played it before. Getting the place ready is all about fun and exploration and ingenuity. I just love the feel of this FM! You’ll have to look into every nook and cranny, even rope arrow your way around, but you’ll enjoy every minute of it. You’ll get to play music, light the tree, throw snow balls, make cookies and heated wine… This is the perfect way to relax from your thief-y travels and settle into the Xmas time – while still being Garrett, the master thief.

Hey, my kitchen looks pretty damn good! Must be all influenced by all those classy places I’ve robbed.

My winter garden with a snow man, of course.

Fire is lit, tree lights are on, holiday gems gathered, holiday art hangs on the walls, Xmas songs are playing.

It wouldn’t be a festival without friends.

Happy holidays to all you taffers and tafferettes out there! Merry Christmas!

How did you manage to get hurt in A Thief's Holiday?
    I frob on the first date!

My youtube channel. Songs and such.

I think she got a little too enthusiastic when taking the diamond on the roof?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Has anyone ever figured out how to mantle onto the roof without using the rope arrow?

I played through on Expert a few weeks ago, and I have to admit to needing the cheat sheet!

Fell from the roof twice and from the rafters once, but didn't feel like reloading

I know one should get to the roof without the rope arrow, but I kept jumping over the tree like a hundred times, so I just used the arrow. My bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Has anyone ever figured out how to mantle onto the roof without using the rope arrow?

no...but I'll find out later today.

EDIT:

That wasn't too hard.

Tougher was finding the last dang gum cookie! I call a devious cookie placement foul! 15 yards and loss of down!
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 21st Dec 2010 at 13:13.

After a long while with nothing from me, I've finally uploaded my review for;

A Night in Rocksbourg II: Discovery

It's a bit rough around the edges I admit. Should have another review either Thursday or Friday; trying to work to a schedule for my site you see.

What or whoever was the attention whore who "invented" the flooring system of
    1st floor = ground floor
    2nd floor = first floor
    should be hanged by his ballsack.

Somebody, explain to me why, other than attention seeking would somebody invent such a facepalmable "logic" of labeling floors like that. And more importantly, why would people insult humanity and society even more by using it? Really, now, why.

How is this not offtopic rambling? Well, some FMs, as brilliant as they may be, apparently hate logic enough to label their floors like that. Not that I'm insulting anyone - I guess it could be merely a faulty habbit, but why was this floor system accepted in the first place is the number one mystery of human behavior to me. I must be missing something though...

Sorry for getting so worked up about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    What or whoever was the attention whore who "invented" the flooring system of
    1st floor = ground floor
    2nd floor = first floor
    should be hanged by his ballsack.
    The "ground floor/first floor" system is a Medieval European construct, used throughout a lot of Europe, Commonwealth and ex-British colonies, several Scandanavian countries, and many Latin American countries. It comes about as a result of the old practice of giving the floor at ground level a special name. The "1st/2nd/3rd" system is primarily of American origin, although it is used in Russia apparently, and I've no real idea where that scheme came from; perhaps an attempt to break tradition with the old world, but that's purely speculation and can't work with Russia.

It does always vaguely amuse me that the European system is 0-indexed, while the US system is 1-indexed though. I expect that this is only amusing to unhinged programmers, however.

( I note that this is a discussion my wife (an American) and I (a Brit) have had several times, and generally agree to disagree on it, while poking fun at each other for their wacky systems)

I don't mind ground floor a name, but if should equal 1st floor as well. Cause naming 2nd floor as the 1st floor is just insulting.

I don't mind ground floor a name, but if should equal 1st floor as well. Cause naming 2nd floor as the 1st floor is just insulting.
    Well, I don't know about other countries, but this weird naming system exists in Poland. Ground floor is called "parter" and the next one is called 1st floor. Bloody awkward if you ask me, but that's how we roll.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Many hotels here in the U.S. do this (label the 1st floor Ground). So the buttons in a hotel elevator are G, 2, 3, 4...

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    Around these parts (lol Canada), ground floor and first floor are basically synonymous, but the second floor is always the actual second level. I think hotels, and also real estate peoples, use groundfloor terminology because it sounds more upscale.

I like how in the various FMs, you can tell if the designer was European or American by their use of ground or first floor. Don't know why, but it always makes me chuckle. "How am I on the first floor when I just climbed the stairs from the first floor."

A Night In Rocksbourg III: Ink and Dust Review

And that concludes the (overdue) Rocksbourg reviews from me. For now! Looking forward to the fourth instalment.

Page 83 of 116 FirstFirst ... 33384348535863687378798081828384858687889398103108113 ... LastLast