TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 394449545964697479848586878889909192939499104109114 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2923

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Thanks for the reviews, The Mike
    Too bad you didn't get Overlords Ending to work properly on your machine.

You should play Xorak's FM which is also based on Running Interference as soon as it is released. Judging from his screenshots you'll be surprised again by what you can do with this mission.

Terrific stuff, Mike - really entertaining, &, heck, I even agreed with some parts

BTW, you gone off Doritos?

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Terrific stuff, Mike - really entertaining, &, heck, I even agreed with some parts

BTW, you gone off Doritos?
    I actually just finished a whole bag by myself. It was like...industrial size too. Never have I been so full of shame...and cool ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    You should play Xorak's FM which is also based on Running Interference as soon as it is released. Judging from his screenshots you'll be surprised again by what you can do with this mission.
    Can't wait for Xorax's FM. Like I said, I hate RI but I see the potential there now; unfortunately, RI was one of the missions in T2 where you could REALLY tell that they made the game first and the storyline second. For the most part, I thought LGS weaved the mechanist story in nicely, but missions like this seem to have nothing to do (which, for a contest likes this, makes it perfect because it's so open to interpretation). The wait for Yandros' mission is killing me also...

Thanks for reading guys!

Nice reviews The Mike, entertaining read

Very enjoyable as usual!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Awesome reviews as always, The Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    The wait for Yandros' mission is killing me also...
    Then pass the time by reading the official announcement on my web page, including a brief story summary and the first official screenshots. Hot off the press.
    Also, this is as much Rob's and Tannar's mission as it is mine.
    Last edited by Yandros; 2nd May 2012 at 09:16.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think it's worth going through all the effort of making an FM just to read The Mike's review of it. Great reviews all around Mike, I laughed at least once - OK, maybe a lot more than that. Bacon bits on a fat man's salad, indeed.

@Yandros - Russ, you're getting pretty fancy over there - a press release for an upcoming FM. That might be setting the bar fairly high for expectations.

Heh, naw, I usually put up a page for upcoming missions before this point. Just had been putting it off until we had some semi-final-ish screenshots we could include.

Thank you Azaran and T M for your excellent reviews. I've been getting some strange looks and interrogation as to what is making me laugh. The strange looks because my head is now stuck on one side having tried to see the rest of the Finals and Pestis Cruenta images which fell off the side of my monitor and ended up round the back.

I'm really glad to see this thread still going. Good work!

Edit. Good Grief! 4 minutes to post?
    Last edited by nickie; 2nd May 2012 at 11:50.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Edit. Good Grief! 4 minutes to post?
    I'm also finding navigation to be excrutiatingly slow on these Forums - more often than not - for several weeks now.

Some more equipment updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Then pass the time by reading the official announcement on my web page, including a brief story summary and the first official screenshots.
    Thanks for sharing this! Would you recommend playing Monastery of St. Fera prior to playing your mission, e.g. to be able to fully understand the story?

No, that won't be necessary. It might help you a little in terms of being familiar with the original layout of the mission, but other than that the story is mostly unconnected directly to the original. Much of the original mission is intact (but retextured) with few changes; however we've probably tripled the size of the mission in terms of playable space. I may make a trailer/teaser movie in the next few weeks - mainly to get better at making movies, a skill I need to develop for future missions as well.

Reviewed gaetane's latest mission release;

The Black Frog @ the abandoned workshops

Great review Quakis (I'd have read/responded earlier but it's been a busy couple of days and excuses, excuses and so on). I agree with most points, especially the last mission being the best. I personally loved mission 2 though- on the other hand, the city missions you enjoyed (1 & 3) I thought went on a little too long, I just wanted to get to the meat of the campaign (maybe I just wasn't in a "whimsical" mood when I played them ). Also, the abandoned fishery is maybe the most terrifying thing I've ever played in Thief 2 (bricks were shat).

And Yandros, those screenshots looks SO GOOD. Gah, YOU TEASE, YOU.

Also, the abandoned fishery is maybe the most terrifying thing I've ever played in Thief 2 (bricks were shat).
    +1

And Yandros, those screenshots looks SO GOOD. Gah, YOU TEASE, YOU.
    Thanks.

I'm going to have a go at updating the first and/or second post of the thread. I'm not entirely sure yet what or how I'm going to do it but am considering starting at the end and working backwards or something so please don't get your knickers in a twist if you don't see your review immediately appear on the front page. I may get carried away by the men in white coats before I finish but assuming I do eventually get to the end and your review isn't up there with the rest, then you may politely yell at me for missing you out.

This is SO VERY appreciated Nickie. Sifting through the last 30 pages of this thread to find a specific review was getting to be a serious pain (kinda like the serious pain I'm sure you're going through right now trying to organize them IF I HAD MOD SUPERPOWERS I WOULD HELP, I SWEAR). Thanks alot- YOU DA BEST!

And keep the reviews coming Quakis, I've really been enjoying them (your website is frigging awesome dude, I want one). I didn't realize just how many reviews you have outside of the Thief games, the amount of content is really impressive! I was hugely into HL 1 mods before I started playing Thief, reading through that part of the site is like getting hit by a nostalgia truck. I haven't played a Darkmod mission in awhile...now that I have time I need to go back to everything that's been released in the last few months and have a marathon.

Well I was going to make a start today but then everything went so slooooowwwww that I gave up. I think that, as I'm better at letters than numbers and dates and stuff, I'm going to work my way through and update the alphabetical list. I also think that I'm going to add in the name of the reviewer and that will simplify things and remove the need for an Alternate Review thing but I'll keep it for the time being till I get up to date.

Check back in a couple of years for progress.

Edit. And please note the new section for TDM Reviews in the first post of the thread. But again it will take a little while to get them up together.

Edit again. Maybe not 2 years. I managed 10 pages today.
    Last edited by nickie; 10th May 2012 at 13:58.

Running Interference

Oh, Mike, how can you hate Running Interference? Sure, after playing it a thousand and one times it does get a little predictable. BUT...that's the charm of it. Like putting on your favorite pair of slippers, pink and fluffy.

After playing mods with new and improved stuff in them, let alone something scary, I need to return to the old ways, so to speak. That's where the original missions come in. It's more than nostalgia. It's like coming home. Ahh.... *sigh*

Congratulations to all those who make these missions for us to enjoy, and thanks to all those who take the time to review them! Thief forever!

Summer! How funny. I'm in the middle of updating the first post links and rearranging stuff and was thinking of you today and wondering where you were. So nice to see you back here and hope we can look forward to some more reviews from you.

And I have to say that I was very disappointed that a promised review of The Mike's best reviews has not been forthcoming.
    Last edited by nickie; 11th May 2012 at 17:43.

2nd Reloaded Contest Missions!

Indeed, Summer, good to see you back! And I too appreciate the pain in the arse work you're doing to make the first posts nicely viewable, nickie. So let me make it even a greater pain in the arse!

Really, though, I just want to make a quick little review OH LOOK it's 4 reviews. Oh well, I'll have to keep it short, but colorful then.

The Reloaded Contest Missions #2!

Whoah, that was a lot of work. I'll do them in the order I played them in. Also, SPOILERS... They're gonna be there.

A Dire Return by intruder
    This mission was the one that got me drawn to this contest. The whole concept of an expanded Rumford Manor was great, especially since I am one of the rare gemstones (o yeah) that liked the original mission. The remake was just awesome - the expanded garden with the thundering all around that actually caused a NEW GAMEPLAY feature - G-man (Garrett) brightens up (literally) every time a thunder strikes. I found this very original as I haven't seen it anywhere else before!
    gettin' a bit monotonous, this color.
    Insides of the manor had a whole new floor which was nicely integrated, especially the dome at the very top. That's when I got fully convinced the mission is going to be epic. Actually it was also what I expected cause the exterior of it got me sold anyway.
    And then there's the story. Wow this story was really well done. Especially combined with the scripting. I never quite took intruder for a maker of something so dramatic and emotionally involving. Returning to the scripting though, the only thing I found a little dull was how long some of the pauses were in either dialogues or the shoveling of dirt and all that. They were like awkward little pauses before the event. But back to the story itself (!)... Really, I loved the whole the-manor-is-sorta-alive-and-everybody-is-actually-dead concept. I think that was at least partially original too but maybe I'm just not very familiar with cultural icons (ok ok I'll stop obsessing with originality. It's in the execution!). AND, (I'll put this in spoiler tags JUST IN CASE) this mission one of the if not the most epic culminations I have seen in an FM and the music was just fitting too. GREAT work, man! Seriously.

For just a little bit of possible constructive criticism that the author might already know or simply disagree with I'll say, that while it was a great continuatiion of Rumford awesomeness, I still found a lot of the rooms too empty and lifeless. (on the 2nd/3rd floors all those pointless little/larger rooms for... a really, really grand party, maybe? But still, a lot of them were just too similar and empty in soul) And also how was anybody supposed to just find the key to the most vital room in the mission (ultimately leading to the dome) in such an unimportant place on a truly random table without even any hint? I know of at least 2 players besides me that didn't. Also I don't think I would've guessed by myself that I would have to pick up the shovel and pickaxe as vital quest items. Hmm, but this one is more reasonable cause the tasks in the future get fairly obvious. That's all, friend. Eagerly awaiting any more of your future stuff (Soulforge & Nautilus!).

Are you SOLD? I AM!

I don't remember that in the original!

Pestis Cruenta by Haplo
    The story starts calm... and gray. All the things unravel slowly... even the zombies don't seem to be that threathening. This mission was the most calm of the 4. There was a quest of finding out what's going on, basically. And I must say I actually beat this one all by myself! Yeah, screw being modest. I DID IT! But enough about me, let's talk about my dress.
    So this mission had a good map of the place that I used a little and it was a good feature to have. I liked everybody's individual story here and the sadness that the devastation brought. I felt for these people. And i especially liked the pharmacist's role in all of this. But I also liked the hints and puzzles, they were just fun to do. The whole place was clean, but not steril. The mission was surprisingly unscary and surprisingly immersive. I played it in the first hours of the day and it didn't feel off as Thief usually does for me during the day.

At this rate I'll run out of these colors! Also I do apologize to you people for having to strain your eyes like this. If everybody really hates it I'll just edit them out and make everything nice & black!
    So what else can I say about this mission? (Cause I remember surprisingly little of it despite having loved it so much. I think it's thanks to Brethren's mission at which I spent a lot more time.) Um... Oh, the gameplay elements. I did like them, I already said that. What I liked especially was that Haplo gave people a chance at the safe code. If they can't think like him, they can just bash 7 at the um.. code-pressing-thingy and it'll still work out! Although my greatest stuck point was not finding a knife, nay, not picking it up cause it looked like just another flavour-item. That was frustrating, but I managed to do it through solid caring. Perhaps I'm being too subjective, but that's just how I feel here (meaning I'm GLAD I found it all by myself).
    Well I think that sums it up. It was a cool mission, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Haplo mission (the other 2 favorites being Among Two Storms and Acid Trip).

Crap only remembered about this one thing when writing about Brethren's mission. CLIMBING GLOVES PUZZLE. THAT WAS AWESOME, DUDE.

Aw little girl. The mission was filled with these emotional storytelling elements.

Oy! I recognize that.

The Overlord's Ending by FireMage
    This was possibly the most ambitious of the missions, aiming to execute a concept this engine is totally not meant for and as such it had some bugs I think and general clumsiness of the hard-to-script AI and thus I didn't actually manage to play the mission till the end, but I had fun, really. The original Thieves Guild was hard enough to navigate around, let alone this one with blocked off ways and new paths! The dialogue pieces were nicely done actually and the new additions were fun to explore, even though texture-wise it's still the same old beat up not-very-attractive sewerage, which I guess the author didn't intend to change (neither would I, probably). (How does that go together I don't know... but it does) But yeah I did not finish this one cause even though I talked to the lords and was supposed to have the gathering, nothing happened and my fellow [even dumber] thieves kept dying at a steam leak. That kinda sucked.
    I did like the nicely increased footstep speed which gave it a feeling of a rush. It was a rush and I didn't feel like sticking around in a single place at any point. Another point in converting this game into something totally different. It's also why I spent the least time to this mission. That and the textures . I know, I'm a graphics whore, I must admit. But you may politely just call me... an aesthetic (like that's a person-descriptive word!).
    ALMOST FORGOT! Something I definitely hadn't seen before. REALISTIC DOOR HANDLES! *Inner realism-fanboy screaming* The animation may have been just a little too fast but it's the thought that counts. Again, MAYBE it's been done before but I don't even care. Kudos, FireMage for changing some things nobody else thinks about.
    And kudos for the story. I believe you've got balls to try and make something as action-based as this. Scripting the AIs must be a complete pain in the ass. I'll replay the mission as a guard another time, but I wrote this review not because I felt like it. For now all I can say is that this mission feels like a pioneer of its kind.

This is how you explain this mission in a nutshell, but...

What's this?? I don't remember this in the original!

Also we finally get to see Donal's mug. It's fairly noble-looking for a thief! (Then again he's probably retired.)

Bad Hangover by Brethren
    Oh, Brethren. I had no idea you could make something a crazy as this. I loved and hated this mission throughout my playthrough. And I only hated it because I loved it so much. And if Haplo's mission was the calmest one and FireMage's mission was a warzone, then this definitely felt like a party! Zombies everywhere... And the city ain't clean or anythin'... Even though it's so friggin' hard to puzzle my way through some areas. Though I must say a more descriptive map would've made the difference here. So I already expressed some of my thoughts in your thread, but I can do it again! AND BETTER! (No not really, just different.)
    Good things about it? The awesome puzzles that involved physics to some degree (yeah, I kinda like physics, maybe that's why I see it as a good thing!). Immidiately gave me the impression that it is the work of a technical mind who knows what he is doing (or she, if we're talking in general and not even being sexist). Further on even though the whole situation and place felt chaotic (just like this quadriew (a quad review or something(if you see this as a review but it's not mandatory)))(reinforced by the buggy zombies standing up and changing locations after reloading) I felt connected to the story and everybody's life there. I even identified some of the corpses. So that was great. I loved the city's dramatically changed look. Devastation and chaos was EVERYWHERE. I think I've also never quite seen such an ludicrously hopeless situation in an FM (or my memory is just incredabad) - our old city, that we've grown to - RUINED! (Forever!)
    And I liked the little details in the mission - the keeper on the roof, the blackjack by the old quarter gate, the old man's note in the water near the twin anchors! If the author puts his all into a mission and I happen to see it - then so will I. (By that I mean start to care and obsess over things). Humm, what else. Yeah I think my only complaint is the lack of a map pointing our some hard-to-find places like Norrington's Quarter. Other than that it was great. Damnit I'm sure I'm forgetting something but maybe it's just me being overly sentimental and whatnot. It was just pretty darn cool, dude.
    *2 minutes later and I remember* It's the friggin' inventor. I loved that guy and his personality. Kudos. That and I'm looking forward to the sequel involving the story, the inventor and something involving the old man!

Oh, so THAT'S the kind of mission this is going to be!

Well that's not a good start!

I love how Brethren just makes realistic irony/comedy kinda thing among all the chaos.

Oh look it's the thriller crew...

Holy hell... does that look awesome!

And after writing all this, I have noticed I used a lot of enthusiastic exclamation marks, but more importantly, I still don't know whom to vote for! And I do apologize for making Brethren's mission have more screens. I just made more great screens in that mission.

Great reviews Thor! I particularly like all the colours and the exclamation marks. You're right about the door handles in Overlord's Ending, it has been done before but I can't remember the name of the mission I first saw them in. I'm pretty sure it was a French author though. I'll (w)rack my brains when I find them.

And of course it's a pain in the proverbial. I shall have to create some sort of special section for people who put all their reviews in the same post thereby making it impossible to link to individual missions.

Thanks for the reviews Thor!

I totally agree with what you said about the placement of the key and the sometimes empty rooms in my mission. I'm trying to pay more attention towards such things in future missions.
    This mission was also some kind of experiment for me, as I never really liked missions which are only focussed on a single mansion or house. I never really enjoyed all the OMs like Masks or The Sword for the same reason. I'd rather like to explore secret islands, underground cities or parts of the city from above.

Poor [The] Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Great reviews Thor! [..]

And of course it's a pain in the proverbial. I shall have to create some sort of special section for people who put all their reviews in the same post thereby making it impossible to link to individual missions.
    Thank you & intruder. And haha, how about you put that right into the "Special Features" category where Mike's Top 10 scary/favorite etc. FMs go?
    Well that is totally up to you tho, so put it wherever it makes more sense that it should be. I guess it's not a special feature, just a quadri.. quadro... quadreview... thing/contest FMs review thing. It's almost like reviewing a campaign all at once.
    Wow my english doesn't look too good.
    Last edited by Thor; 13th May 2012 at 17:31.

Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 394449545964697479848586878889909192939499104109114 ... LastLast