TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Preview : Rocksbourg 4 (update 14/08/10)

Brilliant!

excellent news, I shall rush to the shops and purchase new knickers in anticipation as your last missions caused me to ruin several pairs

@Esme, LOL what r u like...

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    New hope for lower unemployment rates among the undead! - Decay Today

"Rocksbourg 4, can he do it? Yes he can!" - Burrick Obama

"HA! This guy will NEVER win the Gold Hammer award with this! I am invincible!" - D. Nightfall, another popular architect
    Okay, these made me laugh, well done taffer.

Otherwise, I just tried bloom with ddfix, I was surprised : it works pretty well with my missions
    With OMs and classic looking fms, it doesn't work at all, it looks like crap. But with rocksbourg 3 and 4, it's amazing, it really adds to the atmosphere. Same with fms like seven shades of mercury or Rose cottage. Gonna try a few others.

Btw, do you know any fm I HAVE to play, released since 2009 ? I'm aware of the big names, like Seven shades of mercury. But any mission like Being thief interests me.

And why can't I modify the title of the thread ? I wanted to modify the update date to 29/05/11.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Otherwise, I just tried bloom with ddfix, I was surprised : it works pretty well with my missions

Btw, do you know any fm I HAVE to play, released since 2009 ? I'm aware of the big names, like Seven shades of mercury. But any mission like Being thief interests me.
    King's Story.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/886...0412484108.jpg
    http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4...0412485754.jpg
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7...0412474925.jpg
    http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4...0412463275.jpg
    http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/1...0412420541.jpg
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/374...0412404689.jpg
    screenshots by Gecko.
    Last edited by clearing; 30th May 2011 at 09:57.

Btw, do you know any fm I HAVE to play, released since 2009 ?
    The Elizabeth Bathory Campaign
    When Still....
    Insanity's Crescendo & Of The Sinister Awakening (these follow on from Unholy Vivid Innocence)
    Fables Of The Penitent Thief
    The Mirror Of Return
    Tales From The Cleft: Ladytaker

Archivist
    A few more:
    - Eclipsed, by HipBreaker
    - Mine Affairs, by AntiMatter_16
    - Vagabond, by Random Taffer

@ Esme - good to see you here again. Can we hope you might be back working on something too?

Quote Originally Posted by edudrekib View Post
    cant see much DrK, the gamma is too low...

Nah, your gamma is too low. I believe your monitor is either set at low brightness, or it's reaching old age and is growing weaker. Just like my old monitor...

As for this great news, well I'm rather happy. Sadly, I haven't been in the gaming mood much, but maybe that'll change once I'm all settled in, this summer.

Otherwise, I commend you, DrK! Keep doing your stuff; we have faith in you.

Best news I've heard all year!

It looks so fantastic, I can't wait for this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I believe your monitor is either set at low brightness, or it's reaching old age and is growing weaker. Just like my old monitor...
    If it's not a flatscreen one, someone who knows what he's doing can open the case and turn some kind of "master brightness knob" inside. However, it's dangerous in there, so don't do it if you don't know how to "behave" inside a monitor's case!

Okay, these made me laugh, well done taffer.
    Actually, I snatched the "Burrick Obama" name from somewhere on the forums here. (And the Darth Vader quote wasn't from me either.) Since I'm not a noble German minister of defence, I better admit these things before getting caught.

Btw, do you know any fm I HAVE to play, released since 2009?
    Well, concerning the missions that have already been mentioned...

"The Mirror of Return" is a nice one, a small campaign. Furthermore, there are two prequels, starting with "Mysterious Invitation" and continuing with "Ultima Ratio", and these are worth playing as well. "Mysterious Invitation" is a mansion-type mission, while "Ultima Ratio" is a typical city-style mission. "The Mirror of Return" consists of three missions; two are variations from the mansion-type ones (it's just some kind of old fortress instead of a mansion this time). The third one rather feels like the "Lost City" OM with a small city-style part in between. They're all well done and worth playing.

"Eclipsed" reminds me of the Dark Zone of ANIR 3, so you might feel right at home there. There is a second version available for people who experience heavy stutter once things get tough.

"King's Story" does not work for everyone, though. Many people (including me) find themselves left in a graphically overwhelming and very large mission (especially true for the second one in this mini-campaign), but without a sufficient amount of clues. I actually gave up after some time. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

"Fables of the Petinent Thief" (make sure you download the latest version of this one, with "final" and "November 8th" included in the file name - otherwise you might stumble upon a nasty bug!) is something that's very different from standard Thief play. It's actually some kind of arcade game (possibly even suitable for children) where you have to accomplish several tasks in order to win. I think it's great.

"A Journey into the Underdark" turns "Thief 2" into a role-playing game. You can play it as a fighter, an archer or a mage. You enter an old mine where several people went in, but never came out again. Guess why you're here, then.

"When still...": I've played the first two missions of this campaign, and they're nice - but I found the play area far too large. It is very easy to get lost even with a printed map before your eyes. The first mission is an opulent "mansion mystery", while the second one mainly consists of pathfinding in a subterranean area. I have not played much of the third mission, but it starts in a Hammerite monastery.

"Escape Hammer Hill" is a good "escape from prison"-type mission. Basso has been thrown into the Hammer Hill prison, and Garrett has followed him in order to get him out and make Jenivere happy (once again). It's some kind of high security prison this time, not a "piece of cake" one like Cragscleft.

"Defense Assassination 2" is more or less an odyssey through a guarded complex and a sequel to "Defense Assassination". There are several possible ways into the building and a large play area to venture through.

"The Night before Christmas" is a highlight of 2009's Christmas season. This time, Garrett travels through the city in order to deliver some presents that have been stolen before. Of course, the Hammers and the city guards wouldn't believe him if he told them this story, so he has to avoid them once again.

"4th planet" puts you in the shoes of Sister Anna instead of our famous thief. Anna is some kind of "special forces" member of the Mechanists. They have found ways to travel between the planets of the solar system. They have recently lost contact with a group of explorers, and now Anna heads for a mixture of bits from "Alien" and "Stargate". Medium-sized mission with new graphics and sounds.

"Garretts young years XTra" tells us of the first adventures of young Garrett, when he was not yet known as the master thief. A multi-language version (including French) is available.

And if you have not been inside "Rose Cottage", the mission with that name is a "must play" as well. It's a Saturnine masterpiece, you know. You are a paranormal investigator of some sort in this one, entering a haunted mansion. There are only a few ghost/undead creatures there, so it's not the typical horror-style mission this time.

No sense in waiting... it's time to begin downloading!

And why can't I modify the title of the thread ? I wanted to modify the update date to 29/05/11.
    Looks like someone did the trick, meanwhile.

Also The Last Lighthouse Keeper is fairly interesting and atmospheric (by the same author of the When Still campaign)
    Also Disorientation - the most non linear city FM I've ever seen, yet so intuitive (if that's even an adequate word here) and creative.
    Also Amoral Dilemma - good stuff
    And anything by Vlad Midnight is intriguing!
    The Vertical Contest had 3 nice missions to offer in my opinion!
    Acid Trip is one of the most fun crazy missions I've ever played. Really memorable, Haplo..

And all the FMs named above, although I think they missed Tales From the Cleft: Ladytaker prequel called Vandal.

Those are just the MAIN ones that I've sortof played and been fond of.
    Last edited by Thor; 1st Jun 2011 at 06:12.

The Dark Zone in Ink and Dust scared the crap outta me first time I played it

Hey DrK,
    just wanted to let you know that I've finished Rocksbourg Part 2 today. I took me over several weeks, but I tried to ghost it and that was very hard. Especially down in the Souls Writing room. Fortunately, I had success. I really love the story and the architecture you used in this mission. Never seen something like that.

With OMs and classic looking fms, it doesn't work at all, it looks like crap. But with rocksbourg 3 and 4, it's amazing, it really adds to the atmosphere. Same with fms like seven shades of mercury or Rose cottage. Gonna try a few others.
    29/05/11.
    Now I'm moving over to Rocksbourg Mission 3. Just wanted to know which bloom Effect you recommend for the Third Part and how I add that to the dark.cfg. I also want to enjoy the "full atmosphere" of this mission. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't work with dark.cfg, you have to use ddfix and place them in the ddfix.ini file. There are threads about how to do it in the forum somewhere.
    Here are my ddfix settings in postprocessing :

[PostProcessing]

;Enable postprocessing. Boolean.
    Enable=1

;Include overlay in postprocessing. Boolean.
    Overlay=0

;Modulation for the unbloomed frame buffer. 0xrrggbb.
    Base=0xffffff

;Saturation of the unbloomed frame buffer. 0-255.
    ;(255 = full saturation, 0 = pure grayscale.)
    BaseSaturation=226

;Bloom intensity. 0-255. (0 = disable all bloom processing.)
    Bloom=92

;Gain from bloom level to the next. 0xrrggbb. (0x404040 = zero gain.)
    BloomPersistence=0x404040

;Bloom saturation. 0-255. (255 = full saturation, 0 = pure grayscale.)
    BloomSaturation=128

;A per-level zoom-in factor. Integer. (0 = no spread.)
    ;This makes the bloom spread out (positive values) or in (negative values).
    BloomSpread=64

;Colors below this will cause no bloom. 0xrrggbb.
    BloomThreshold=0x555555

;Trailing and afterimages. 0xaarrggbb. (0 = no trailing.)
    ;The rgb components modulate the trail color, while the alpha component governs
    ;how much of the bloom from the last frame is blended into the current frame.
    BloomTrail=0x80ffffff

[Fog]

;Enable fog. Boolean.
    Enable=1

;Global fog. 0 = no, 1 = autodetect (requires TextureReplacement=1), 2 = force.
    Global=1
    I remember I found them on TTLG, and thought they worked pretty well so I didn't tweak them much more, but can't tell where I found these settings nor who posted them.
    You don't need it to have the "full atmosphere" as you say, the mission was built without bloom, it's just a bonus. Make sure you have fog working though, it was part of the original design.

It's really great to hear that you're back on track. The Rocksbourg FM's are surely my favourite ones. The storyline is great and the textures looks like they're from Thief 3 Doesn't really matter to me when you're finished with part 4, I'm just glad you're back!

Dracula (Reloaded) is from 2009, but it's really atmospheric and I strongly recommend it. As someone else said, Eclipsed reminds me of the Dark Zone and I think you could get alot of inspiration from that FM.

Not dead yet !

Slow progress these days due to RL, but progress anyway.
    Please don't ask for a release date. I beg you.

Thank you so much, DRK!! I was just wondering about Rocksbourg 4! Very nice pics!! So excited for this

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Wonderful to see you still working on this gem, DrK. I'm also finally back at DCE today after over a month with little progress, due mostly to RL. Bon chance!

Clearinghouse
    Thanks for the news, DrK

Classical Master 2008
    Goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I'm also finally back at DCE today after over a month with little progress, due mostly to RL.
    A fellow companion in misfortune I see
    Good to know you're back on track as well.

Archivist
    No matter how slow the progress, I'm sure you'll get there in the end, DrK . And I'll patiently await it's release. Beautiful pics!

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast