TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T2 Mission: Darkstone Mine - 2/27/2009

T2 Mission: Darkstone Mine - 2/27/2009

A "gold" version of this mission has been released as part of a mission pack in this thread:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131383

As inspired by this thread, I ended up making a small mission (My first time! Was it good for you too?) to see how well flares could be utilized in a level, since flares always seem to be almost useless, and no one appears to have tried this sort of thing before (Until now...). I built it over 2 days (a speed record, I bet!) investing about 20 hours or so on it (and losing a fair bit of sleep too X_x).

The level starts out completely dark, though you can light torches with the flares as you progress. I limited the size of the level to a 64x64x64 cube. It's got difficulty settings, a store, even a story (I like to go the extra mile, here.) I tried to put a bit of polish on it, So I hope you'll enjoy the result.

HERE IT IS! DarkStone Mine! (English Only)
    Mirror 1 (English Only) (Thanks to Clearing!)
    Mirror 2 (English Only) (Filefront)
    English & Italian Language support added (Rapidshare) My thanks to Krenim!
    DarkLurker.org DarkLurker.com (Thanks Moghedian!)
    SouthQuarter (Thanks Brethren!)

Some tips/spoilers:
    The lantern can be used to light torches.
    Try lighting several flares at once, and dropping them about to help you see
    The boulders in the lowest level are destructible with explosives
    There is a key hiding to unlock the elevator gate on the top level
    Total loot is 650

Darkloader compatible and all that.

Description: I've been contacted by a man named Derryn, one of the owners of
    DarkStone Mine. Apparently, he and his business partner, Cecil, have not been
    getting along well. One of their last arguments ended with Derryn getting
    injured. To try to get a little payback, Derryn wants me to sneak into the
    mine, and steal some of his partner's mining equipment. Things have been slow
    lately, and this job is a welcome change, despite being out of the way.
    What have people said about this mission?
    It's almost bearable!
    Not as bad as some levels.
    I can't see a damn thing, Jim.
    At least it's short.
    My dead grandmother could make a better FM than this. If only she'd stop pacing so much...
    Additional: If anyone wants to tell me how to get this thing onto my favorite fan mission sites, lemme know.

And enjoy yourselves.

The next mission in the story, Mine Affairs, has been released!
    Last edited by AntiMatter_16; 19th Mar 2010 at 20:04.

Alrighty!!! That was a nice mission. Thank you!
    Last edited by HauntHunter; 26th Feb 2009 at 22:15.
    If at first you don't succeed...reload and try again!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I get a 404 trying to download the file.

Clearinghouse
    Thanks
    Yandros, darkstonemine.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I get a 404 trying to download the file.
    I got that a couple times too before it worked. Try it again while I'll try to find another site to upload it to.

[edit]
    Ah, thanks clearing. I'll add that as a mirror in the first post.

I'll have to try this later today. Interesting concept .

Btw. you should change the thread title to something like "New T2 Mission: Darkstone Mine - 2/27/2009" to attract more players. At first I thought you were going to showcase a new mission in progress .

AntiMatter_16: congratulation !!! Finally somebody has done it. Totally dark place with need of use flares. Great !

Stunning
    Interesting idea and well worked out. And a nice design for something so quickly made as well.

I have to admit that with years of thieving experience under my belt I still managed to fall down and hurt myself. Twice. And blew myself up by walking into a powder keg with a lit flare. Oops.

All in all an amusing little mission. You should make more of them

Quote Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
    I have to admit that with years of thieving experience under my belt I still managed to fall down and hurt myself. Twice. And blew myself up by walking into a powder keg with a lit flare. Oops.
    I did the very same thing; several times. Total darkness makes me feel a bit panicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    Total darkness makes me feel a bit panicky.
    exactly! this was a very well done mission, and while it was quite small I think any longer stuck in the darkness would have had me too on-edge to play!

usually there is enough ambient light in the missions that I never need flares - I played this one for just a few moments and restarted to load up on them!

The way flares are I hate them, because they only last so damn short.
    If they were useful ten times longer, or would allow to deactivate/reactivate them to save illumination time they could be much more useful.

It just feels silly to bring like 50 of those big sticks with me (handcart anyone?)
    and relight another one after that 10 seconds of illumination.
    Feels more of a chore than an useful tool.

I do admit that a flare's lifespan is ungodly short, but if I modified the gamesys so that they litflare's lifespan were longer, not only would I increase the download size (oh no! =P) but the flares would technically no longer be the default flare. I did include a lantern that never burns out, mostly so that if the player did use up all his flares, he/she still had a chance to finish the level.

As for carrying stuff around... Didn't you know Garrett has a magical cloak which is like the TARDIS in that it is larger on the inside than the outside? How else could he carry a sword, a blackjack, ~15-50 arrows of different types, all manner of papers, barrels of loot, flares, flashbombs, mines, a 6 course gourmet meal worth of food, lockpicks, a compass, a medicine cabinet full of potions...
    I think the maximum number of flares you could get in the mission are ~35, if you don't use any, and buy all you can at the start of the mission (which is an impressive number). Kudos to anyone who can manage to beat the level without using a single flare and/or not lighting any torches. Though sadly, I wouldn't even begin to know how to make that a secret objective. Oh well. O_o

@Dia, I often manged to fall down the elevator shaft while testing the mission, and I built the level. =P Though, I think this level shows that a small area of total darkness in a larger mission could be interesting and well done.

Any additional comments are certainly welcome, on any aspect of the mission. This is my first mission released, and I never had anyone else beta test it besides myself, so I don't have a good idea of how difficult it is to figure stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiMatter_16 View Post
    Though, I think this level shows that a small area of total darkness in a larger mission could be interesting and well done.
    Agreed! I don't think my nerves could take more than a small section, though!

Unfortunately, the only way to get total darkness is by setting the ambient light level to zero. That means that all shadows/unlit areas everywhere in the entire mission will be pitch black. As a recent example, Vlad Midnight's recent T1 mission Invitation to Castle Morgoth had zero ambient light.

Off to play this mission!

And its a community like this that makes Thief so great and timeless! Thankyou and congrats on the release! *downloads*

Hey, that was really cool! I've always thought something like this would be more realistic than the ubiquitous lit torches throughout abandoned tombs and mines. Very nice attention to detail and great gameplay! And I only blew myself up once!

Well... it's often said that darkness is a thiefs ally, but in this case, haha.

This surprisingly is quite a innovative concept - a totally dark environment that you then have to find your way around and it's never been done before. Well done!

I need help though, i can't find any evidence whose cheating who, could someone give me the answer? Thanks!

@Shadows
    The two boulders in the lowest level are destructible with explosives (Powderkegs, Fire arrows, mines). Try placing an explosive near a boulder, and setting it off with a flare, or the lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Unfortunately, the only way to get total darkness is by setting the ambient light level to zero. That means that all shadows/unlit areas everywhere in the entire mission will be pitch black. As a recent example, Vlad Midnight's recent T1 mission Invitation to Castle Morgoth had zero ambient light.

Off to play this mission!
    A medium sized mission could be done with zero ambient light in T2 too. However it would require careful placing of MANY omnilight objects to compensate for the missing ambient light.

If the mission has only a small pitch black area then it probably wouldn't be worth it but for a small "theme" mission such as this one it could work .

Also try the FM by masterthief3 called "Shadows of Eidolon". It has some interesting flare works at the beginning, and it is also one the most atmospheric missions released.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Haplo View Post
    Also try the FM by masterthief3 called "Shadows of Eidolon". It has some interesting flare works at the beginning, and it is also one the most atmospheric missions released.
    Also A Small Blackout.

Finished. AntiMatter: your FM is great. I hope you'll make full size dark (!) mine.

I agree with what has been said. It's short, but a real fun experience. I enjoyed it. Hope you expand the concept into a larger mission someday.

It was short, but fun. Good Job.

Nice mission, I wish there'd be more ones of such type. Well done! Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast