TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 100

Thread: Big Sisters in BS2? You heard it here first..maybe...

  1. #26
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2007
    Location: free koki
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall
    Okay, I see your point. I always felt like the "Big Daddies" were a Big Joke anyway, never actually finding them threatening. (That could have been a lack of immersion issue, too.) The Big Sisters make sense if it's the matured little sisters mimicking the creatures whom they were once imprinted on. In that case, it doesn't even really need to be logical, it just needs to be "cool".
    Yeah, I suppose that variant would make sense. I'd still see it as a forced tie-in, but it would, at least, have consistency in the game world.

  2. #27
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2005
    Location: Check
    New picture up over here. It's quite grainy but it's a big sister.

  3. #28
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Well to be honest, if they do it right(and they won't) Big Sisters could be scary. Instead of loud, lumbering Kool-Aid Men, they could be very silent and very quick spider-splicer-like.
    Seeing a little sister alone, walking towards her and then having Big Sister drop right in front of you from the ceiling(or whatever) would work the first two times.

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    One of the things they got very right in the first game (at least IMO) is in evoking the pathos of the Big Daddies. I read lots of reviews, blogs and posts that noted how they felt much more sympathy for the BDs than for the freaky Little Sisters, and that killing them (or not) felt more meaningful than the somewhat artificial Moral Decision(tm) with respect to the LSs.

    I would hope that they can get some of the same effect with the Big Sisters. If they're just creepy and scary but never become anything more than enemies/obstacles, they're missing a trick. If they can make them disturbing - for instance in the way that the Midwives in System Shock 2 were disturbing (before they were Reboobed) - and potentially moving at the same time, that'd be quite cool.

  5. #30
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Europops
    I thought of the Midwives in SS2 too, and of the ninjas.

    I too felt bad when killing the BDs. I always saved the LSs anyway and if I could have disabled the BDs I would have.

    Anyways, the only reason I'm remotely interested in this is because Jordan is the lead. The original was overhyped trash that excelled in a few areas, making its failure all the more bitter. Sadly the plot of BS1 ended so badly that redeeming is going to be one hell of a hurdle.

  6. #31
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    IMO Bioshock had amazing moments (some of the best in the last 5-10 years) but these didn't come together to form an amazing overall experience. Having played it fairly late, I was glad in that I knew not to expect a coherent whole, so I was more able to enjoy the brilliant moments for what they were.

    Anyway - my main wish for the sequel would be a feasible stealth mechanism. Anything that will let me play the game at the pace I enjoy most: slow and deliberate. Several of the great setpieces in Bioshock failed to some extent because the pacing was so frenetic.

  7. #32
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2007
    Location: free koki
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Anyway - my main wish for the sequel would be a feasible stealth mechanism.
    QFT! I haven't finished the game because of what struck me as dull, sterile gameplay. The setting/atmosphere is enthralling for me, despite managing to shoot itself in the foot sometimes, but the way it plays kills it for me as I get bored quickly. A little stealth would go a long way. Wouldn't need to be on the level of Thief, even something like in Fallout 3, linked to a single Gene Tonic line, would work.


    Edit:
    Hm, found some stuff - Kotaku quoting some 2K forum posters:

    Originally Posted by: Kotaku

    According to forum posters, Bioshock 2 takes place 7 years after the original game, with protagonist Jack Abbott chasing the Big Sister who kidnapped his daughter all the way to Rapture. I say the Big Sister, as there is reportedly only one in the game, who acts as the mastermind behind the plot of the game. Rapture has been flooded, opening new areas while changing the dynamics of previous levels, with a fully explorable zoo and underwater exploration levels. They also make a big deal about a fight with a giant squid boss [...]
    They also mention the already old No Big Daddies hat, and the possibility of a co-op play mode. The plot premise has some credibility, I think, given the new photo on the teaser site with "Sea creature stealing children on New Jersey coast".
    Last edited by Ostriig; 13th Mar 2009 at 11:22. Reason: MISTER BUBBLES!!

  8. #33
    Member
    Registered: May 2003
    Location: Sweden
    edit: if you don't want any spoilers whatsoever, stop reading



    just saw this http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57648

    Didn't exactly make me more interested. "epic boss battles", "challenge rooms", soviets invading. Might not be true, but the vibes I get from that is a perl stringed scripted event shooter.

  9. #34
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Already rebuked by 2k.

  10. #35
    I stopped reading the rumors after "According to forum posters." Seriously, what kind of fucking reporting is that?

    Christ, the last thing the gaming industry needs is media sites empowering the opinions of slobbering nutjobs.

  11. #36
    Moderator
    Registered: Jun 2001
    Location: The Doldrums

    I guess this is kosher since it's not the whole article.



    "Adopt"

    This and one other blurry image are what are floating around at the mo.
    Last edited by Vraptor7; 13th Mar 2009 at 17:09.

  12. #37
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Christ, I read that as "Molest". Someone kick me.

    I guess Big Sister is evil, and you have to beat her to get the Little Sisters, and you can either let them harvest Adam for you which probably will involve a lot of scripted enemy attacks(during which the normally invincible LS will be very much killable) or just harvest her and be on your merry way.

  13. #38
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Looks like a return of the artificially moral choices, wee...

    also, anyone else feels like re-playing bioshock from the perspective of a big daddy just sounds like a horrible, horrible idea? It worked for HL and OpFor, but here it just seems so... dull. Especially considering you already played as a big daddy in the first BS.

  14. #39
    Rapture has been flooded, opening new areas while changing the dynamics of previous levels, with a fully explorable zoo and underwater exploration levels.
    - "What awaits you, Splicer, in the Rapture that has changed?"

  15. #40
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by TF View Post
    - "What awaits you, Splicer, in the Rapture that has changed?"
    That whole Zoo thing was one amongst the debunked rumours, along with the the invading Soviets and robots.

    Jesus Christ, why can't news sites just wait for official press releases, instead of posting half-arse rumours?

  16. #41
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Because not nearly enough people have adblock installed.

  17. #42
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand

  18. #43
    The Architect
    Registered: Dec 1998
    Location: Lyon
    So they took the worst part of Bioshock and decided to make an entire game out of it?

  19. #44
    Taking a break
    Registered: Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    uhuh, always trust the random blogs.

    Give me the scans and I'll see for myserlf, thanks.

  20. #45
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2000
    Location: sup
    Haha, according to Shacknews a lot of those rumours seem legit - what a terrible sounding game. Hey, you get to do escort missions FOR AN ENTIRE FUCKING GAME. lol.

  21. #46
    The Architect
    Registered: Dec 1998
    Location: Lyon
    At first I was hoping that they did the little cell-phone pics of the article and then made up totally bogus information about it, but what you see in those pictures hits far too close to what's described. This sounds like some stupid 2-hour let's-sell-it-for-$15 DLC. I had figured that Bio2 would be an amusing romp that was at least as entertaining as BioS, but now I just want it to go away.

    On the other hand, this news makes Deus Ex 3 look much, much better.

  22. #47
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: New Zealand
    I find it difficult to credit that they would take the one part of the first game which just about everyone thought was garbage and try and expand it into a full game concept. That's just... weird.

  23. #48
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
    There's a big difference between tacking a new mechanic onto a game and designing the entire game around it. I can't really talk, because I haven't played that section, but I find it hard to believe that the things you all hate about it are really relevant to Bioshock 2.

    Anyway, if that's all true, it sounds ... unusual. I don't know if I think it is likely to be a better game after hearing this, but at least I am more interested in seeing how the game turns out.

    Much more interested.

  24. #49
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2000
    Location: sup
    Of course, the optimist in anyone would say "let's give them credit guys, there's gotta be more to it than what we're seeing in this first glimpse", however the pessimistic cynic who played BioShock says that the first glimpses of BioShock (both in print and in game form) were the most exciting and everything gave way to disappointment after that, so their credit line is subject to intense scrutiny in the face of the global financial crisis.

  25. #50
    Member
    Registered: Jul 2002
    Location: Edmonton
    this is pretty much gonna a big failure, based on that fuzzy scan I saw and some internet rumours

    yup, dismissed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •