TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 on Windows 7?

Thief 2 on Windows 7?

Sorry if this has been answered, but I searched and didn't find anything. I got Thief 2 to install fine on Windows 7, and loaded it up without any problems. But when I was to start the first mission, I just get a blank screen.

I understand that this is likely due to running modern video drivers. Is it possible to perhaps install older Vista drivers, and run the game properly? I have an nVidia GeForce 7600GT, if it matters.

Windows 7 is out already? :O Or is this the beta you are referring to?

Well seeing as Windows 7 is a lot like Vista, I imagine the same kind of troubleshooting tips will be needed to make it work on Windows 7. There could even be new issues. First off, you said you have an nvidia 7600. You should be able to run it... If I understand you correctly, thief runs but freezes when trying to load a mission? First off, I suggest checking the FAQs and the thread regarding ddfix. Good luck.....

jtr7
    We haven't even got the kinks worked out for Vista yet, Xaximus, so I imagine it'll be awhile longer before we can just point to the FAQ or know exactly what kind of advice to provide, but yeah, DDFix and the possibility of needing to roll back drivers might be what you are looking at having to do. Well, DDFix for sure.

I take it you have sound and the movies play okay, right?

thats a dam good question though Xaximus

I am referring to Windows 7 beta.

I did try DDFix, but it crashes on startup with Windows 7.

The movies ran fine, and sound was working fine. But the game freezes/goes black at the point where the mission should start.

jtr7
    Thanks, that narrows it down. This thread may have to be moved to the Technical help forum to get the tailored response you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaximus View Post
    I am referring to Windows 7 beta.

I did try DDFix, but it crashes on startup with Windows 7.

The movies ran fine, and sound was working fine. But the game freezes/goes black at the point where the mission should start.
    you may need to run thief in compatabilty mode - right click, then click on the compatability tab then select "windows Xp sp2" and see how you get on.

if you still cant get it working Ill install Win7 on the gaming pc and sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    you may need to run thief in compatabilty mode - right click, then click on the compatability tab then select "windows Xp sp2" and see how you get on.

if you still cant get it working Ill install Win7 on the gaming pc and sort it.
    I wasn't able to get it running without compatability. I used Win98, and it booted up no problem. I suspect it's a matter of downgrading to old Vista drivers, which I'll try in the next day or two.

You said ddfix crashes on startup. Perhaps you could try the "manual version" then?

I've already solved this issue. First, get the drivers for your video card and update them.

Then, apply DDFix using either another machine or through a virtual machine running XP (has to be done with GUI, which crashes in 7). Copy back the executable after also applying the widescreen fix and you're good to go.

I completed all of Thief 1+2+2x on Windows 7 without a hitch. The only time I experienced graphic corruption was when I manually edited the executable for DDFix.

So do the DDFix prepatched .exe's not work in Win7? They're much easier than either running the GUI or hex editing it yourself.

Alright woot, someone with first hand experience.

Oh yeah, Yandros has a good point. I totally forgot about the prepatched exe's.

Prepatched should be fine.

Excellent, I'll try and get it patched on my other PC.

I did try the pre-patched version, but it gave me an error about not having DirectX 7 installed, then crashed.

jtr7
    Just to be sure, did you try switching between compatibility modes with the pre-patched version?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaximus
    I did try the pre-patched version, but it gave me an error about not having DirectX 7 installed, then crashed.
    That seems familiar.... Though I can't remember where I would have read about it, or the solution. Biker? jtr7? anyone?

Edit: Sorry Jason, that's probably what your question was getting at.

As a note, you might need to install DirectX9.

DX10 is separate, so just use the latest DX9 installer you have and you should be fine.

Also, for a fact the game DOES NOT require any compatibility modes.

jtr7
    Thanks.

It's true about compatibility modes, but sometimes it makes it work, for whatever reason, so it's still an option, if not the best.

BioGen, what do you mean "seperate" ? are you saying you can have DX9 and DX10 installed at the same time?

Just a random thought on the original question, isn't the cause of the black screen usually the multiprocessor problem?

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    BioGen, what do you mean "seperate" ? are you saying you can have DX9 and DX10 installed at the same time?
    That's exactly what I mean.

jtr7
    It's nice they allowed that, unless there's another reason, like a fundamental code change.

It has been mentioned that anything that runs in vista will run in win7. There is also a thread somewhere showing that at least T2 works in win7 the same way as in vista.
    Your crashes show that maybe there is a wrong order in installation. I had some problems with vista and T2 but as soon as i found the correct order everything was fine.

1.T2 installation
    2.version patch thief
    3.Nocdpatch
    4.ddfix
    5.widescreen

ddfix works only in a nocd patched version. (caused me alot headache till i realised this)

After all those steps you might need to edit the cam.cfg file if the game still crashes to desktop. In some installations i had to manualy set the resolution values in the cfg to agree with the widescreen values.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGenx2b View Post
    DX10 is separate, so just use the latest DX9 installer you have and you should be fine.
    er dosent W7 have DX9 already as part of DX like vista...?

I think it has DX10 actually...