TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 2 on Windows 7?

As far as I remember, it doesn't. DX10 can support some DX9 features, but you still need to install it. I remember doing the same thing for Vista though. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Xaximus View Post
    I did try the pre-patched version, but it gave me an error about not having DirectX 7 installed, then crashed.
    *ahem*

That's covered in the DDFix FAQ.

bikerdude

Thief 1/2/3 in Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Thief 1/2 run flawlessly (even before installing the nvidia gfx driver) but thief 3 failed to load. Im assuming thats down to T3.exe being no-cd patched, I have deisable DEP as per the same way i did in vista. Im going to reinsteall and re-patch to check that a standard install will work.
    Im running Windows 7 RC, and so far its the same as the beta, thief 1/2 are fine (still no fog though), Ive just disabled DEp and am gonna see if T3 now works or not...
    Last edited by bikerdude; 5th May 2009 at 20:10.

I just tried installing Thief 2 and 3 on Windows 7 build 7000. It's an AMD 64 4000+, 1GB RAM and nVidia 7900 GS.

Thief 2 worked fine without ddfix, except for the usualy 16-colors-sky. After I patched it with ddfix it always told me, desired screen resolution is not supported and when I moved it crashed.

Thief 3 had some starting problems, but seems to work now. ... ... But it's in window mode. I tried applying comaptiblity mode to both t3 and t3main.exe, but it didn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    I just tried installing Thief 2 and 3 on Windows 7 build 7000. It's an AMD 64 4000+, 1GB RAM and nVidia 7900 GS.

Thief 2 worked fine without ddfix, except for the usualy 16-colors-sky. After I patched it with ddfix it always told me, desired screen resolution is not supported and when I moved it crashed.

Thief 3 had some starting problems, but seems to work now. ... ... But it's in window mode. I tried applying comaptiblity mode to both t3 and t3main.exe, but it didn't change.
    See bold area. Hmm, that seems to be a result of one of two things:
    One, you don't have the correct resolution set in cam.cfg and ddfix.cfg.
    Two, you are running a non-standard 4:3 resolution thief does not support (and you aren't using the widescreen patch, I assume..?)

I've got Windows 7 beta on my laptop (previously had XP then Vista on) so I will give it a go at the weekend. I'v got various other testing to do with it so I may as well have a good test of Thief, SS2 and GL. From what I've noticed when I did testing on other things a while ago on it was that it was full of assertion errors so I don't suppose any testing done on it will actually be completely valid until at least RC1 is released.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    See bold area. Hmm, that seems to be a result of one of two things:
    One, you don't have the correct resolution set in cam.cfg and ddfix.cfg.
    Two, you are running a non-standard 4:3 resolution thief does not support (and you aren't using the widescreen patch, I assume..?)
    Okay, stupid me. It's been too long since I applied DDfix and WIdescreen patch last time. Works fine now. Just the sound is a funny thing. All stereo samples come from left and right, and all mono samples come from the center, no matter of which direction they came. I should set speakers back to stereo...

What is your soundcard configuration? (hardware, driver, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BioGenx2b View Post
    As a note, you might need to install DirectX9.

DX10 is separate, so just use the latest DX9 installer you have and you should be fine.

Also, for a fact the game DOES NOT require any compatibility modes.
    Wont work. Vista/7 already comes with directX 9.0"L" which is for backward comp.

No deal, folks. Don't work for me.

It's been a long time since I used this forum the last time. Now I'm running Windows 7 x64bits, and tried all the suggestions above and still can't start ddfixGUI, or make the trick manually. It crashes for good, no matter how I try to circumvent.

Seems to me that the x64 version is a serious problem with ddfix.

As someone said before elsewhere, without any trick, the game installed fine, and starts fine in win98 compatibility mode (movies, sound, etc.), but it crashes to a black screen after start or load the game level.

I cannot find the old fixed thief2.exe (for this black screen issue) anymore here. I think it might do the trick. Any suggestions where can I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2k
    and tried all the suggestions above and still can't start ddfixGUI, or make the trick manually.
    You mean hex edit the exe? Yeah, it's been said that doesn't work already in this thread.

I cannot find the old fixed thief2.exe (for this black screen issue) anymore ...
    You mean the prepatched exe?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    The problem is not 64bit, I have TG and T2 both working fine in Vista 64bit on a dual core processor.
    Last edited by Yandros; 1st May 2009 at 21:09.

bikerdude
    well the Release candidate should be out in a week so will try thief 1/2/3 on that and see how I go..

sNeaksieGarrett, my friend

yeah, I mean the hex trick. I don't understand much about hackin' things, but it seems to me the prepatched EXE points to the ddfixGui executable in order to run...and that's the problem: although the ddfix files ARE in the thief2 folder, Windows 7 x64 is unable to work with them, and I still receiving the same DX7 error message over and over again.

...and no, not the prepatched EXE - I mean another one...

do you remember the old fixed exe for the old GeForce MX400's black screen issue, posted here a long time ago?

since the game installs and run fine (even the movies and sound), I think this old EXE could make Thief2 compatible with W7...but I can't find it anymore.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
    Windows 7 x64 is unable to work with them, and I still receiving the same DX7 error message over and over again.
    I have the SoldOut version of thief1/2 and I have no-cd patched it, widescreen patched it and then DDfix patched it. My thief install dosent need rto be reinstalled eachtime I reload an OS because I have it on the D:\ partition, so when I wipped vista and install windows 7 beta I just simply clicked on the thief 1/2 execuatbles and the games ran, flawlessly.

So I can only think your problems are due to the version of theif you have

but it seems to me the prepatched EXE points to the ddfixGui executable in order to run
    Of course it doesn't. The prepatched exe is the game exe with the hex changes to enable DDFix already applied. The GUI just automates the application of these changes. Once DDFix is installed, you no longer need the GUI.

and I still receiving the same DX7 error message over and over again.
    Sounds like a case of Didn't Read The FAQ:
    I get the error "DirectX version 7 or higher is not installed" when starting the game - how do I fix this?

do you remember the old fixed exe for the old GeForce MX400's black screen issue, posted here a long time ago?

since the game installs and run fine (even the movies and sound), I think this old EXE could make Thief2 compatible with W7...but I can't find it anymore.
    Afraid I don't know.

NV, I don't think he's missing ddfix.dll because it comes with ddfixGUI.exe, and he already stated that the files are in his directory.

He's got a unique situation apparently.

Kyle, I'm assuming you've already used the prepatched exe and it's not working?

bikerdude
    Im running Windows 7 RC, and so far its the same as the beta, thief 1/2 are fine (still no fog though), Ive just disabled DEp and am gonna see if T3 now works or not...

I ran Thief 3 on the beta with no problem. The only time DEP got in the way was when I tried to use a particular no-cd crack. A different patch worked fine.

Darkloader 4.3 startup problem with Windows 7

Is anyone else noticing that Darkloader takes a very long time to start?

The logo comes up right away, but then it takes about 3 minutes for the application window to appear. Once it does it works normally though. I'm now running Win7 RC but it did the same thing with the beta.

I usually don't reinstall T1/T2 or Darkloader, somewhat like Bikerdude mentioned, and everything works fine. But I've also tried reinstalling Darkloader from scratch and end up with the same problem. I think it has to do with the size of darkloader.ini - on a fresh install it'll start right up, but after you point it to the FM directories (~600 FMs) the INI file gets huge and then the long startup issue begins. So it must have to do with parsing the INI data, which even in Vista was never an issue.

If others are having the same problem, maybe Tom/Telliamed could look into it. Thanks for any feedback, fellow Taffers.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    Is anyone else noticing that Darkloader takes a very long time to start? The logo comes up right away, but then it takes about 3 minutes for the application window to appear.
    you may need to run the executable in "compatability mode", right click on 'darkloader.exe' and click on the compatability tab, then select 'windows xp sp3'

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    you may need to run the executable in "compatability mode", right click on 'darkloader.exe' and click on the compatability tab, then select 'windows xp sp3'
    Thanks Biker ... are you using Darkloader, if so is there any lag on your system?

Should have mentioned I've already tried compatibility modes as well as the various 'Settings' items on the same tab; even shut off indexing for the file under the General tab/Advanced, but none of that makes any difference. I've never needed any of that stuff under Vista or XP for DL (or T1/T2 for that matter) to start in 2-3 seconds and run fine.

When I setup DL pointing to test folders containing only 20 FMs, it starts up in 5-10 seconds (as opposed to 3 minutes for all 600+ FMs), so I'm pretty sure the size of the darkloader.ini somehow correlates to the problem.

Btw, system is AMD Phenom II 940 Quad-core @3.2GHz, 4 GB 1066 RAM, GeForce 9800 GTX+/512MB, 64-bit Win7 RC. The beta was 32-bit and I had the same issue with it. I have a dual-boot on this pc, and on the XP side everything is perfect, so I'm thinking it must be OS related.

I'd appreciate hearing if others *aren't* having this problem with DL 4.3 under Windows 7, then I'd know it's something specific to my installation. Thanks much!

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahenjo View Post
    I'd appreciate hearing if others *aren't* having this problem with DL 4.3 under Windows 7, then I'd know it's something specific to my installation. Thanks much!
    I have been using gLoader, but I will install darkloader and see how it works..

DarkLoader 4.3b1 is compatible with Windows 7

If anyone cares (I don't) to file a bug report with Microsoft, it's an issue with the (Read/Write)PrivateProfile* functions. The problem will likely occur in other 10+ year-old apps. Though perhaps not as significantly as DL which abuses the INI file quite a bit.

I've often wondered if the "compatibility" tab, like Lord Bafford's library, isn't just for show.

A slight off-topic wander

Telliamed: What exactly is the problem with the PrivateProfile functions? Are they being discontinued?

I generally prefer those functions to using the registry (I like portable programs), and was even considering using them in a script at some point.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast