TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 30 12345611162126 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Clearinghouse

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Here's a new interview with general director GSC: http://kp.ua/interview/detail/298/
    http://kp.ua/daily/090409/176052/

Q: Здравствуйте, Сергей. На апрельском Сталкер-календаре, под надписью STALKER читается полустертая надпись "Зов Припяти", что это - название новой части Сталкера или просто первоапрельская шутка?...
    A: Это и есть название второго аддона... Второй аддон к Сталкеру выйдет в этом году, осенью. Идей, как всегда, масса, но до разработки доживают единицы. Мы не делимся никакими мыслями до тех пор, пока не принимаем решение разрабатывать проект. А это стадия, когда уже есть на что посмотреть. Но могу сказать, что Сталкер 2 мы будем разрабатывать однозначно.
    Google translation:

Q: How do you do, Sergey. On the April Stalker- calendar, under the inscription STALKER is read the inscription of "Call of Pripyat", that these are - the name of the new part of the stalker or simply first-of-April joke? …
    A: This is a name of second addon of Stalker will leave in this year, in autumn. Ideas, as always, mass, but until the development live ones. We share no thoughts until we assume the solution to work out project. But this is the stage, when already there is to that to look. But I can say that Stalker 2 we will develop unambiguously.

A second add on?
    Was there a first?

BR796164
    Yes, Clear Sky. It's a separately functional game, but it's not a proper Stalker 2.
    I agree it's a bit confusing.

As Rogue Keeper wrote, CS was a standalone add on.

Great news, BTW. One more game to wait for.
    Last edited by 242; 9th Apr 2009 at 05:33.

Taking a break
    Keep trying, you're bound to get it right eventually.

[edit]Incidentally...
    Last edited by Koki; 9th Apr 2009 at 05:45.

Most addons do at least make some pretense of being connected to the first game (in software terms) though, don't they? Like sharing the odd resource rather than being completely separate entities. Or they once did didn't they?
    Of course, I don't know what else to call Clear Sky, but hey...

So, Stalker 2 then. I hope there's more river in this one. I like large bodies of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Most addons do at least make some pretense of being connected to the first game (in software terms) though, don't they?
    Yep, just like CS does.

So, Stalker 2 then.
    No, second add-on.

BR796164
    So, Stalker 2 then.
    Try to look at it this way :

Shadow of Chernobyl : Stalker 1.0
    Clear Sky : Stalker 1.5X
    Call of Pripyat : Stalker 1.7X

There are plans for a proper "Stalker 2", and it should be a radical technological leap (probably different engine too) as opposed to Clear Sky, which is built on the very same technological basis as SoC, just slightly tweaked and with added eye candy.

The devs probably wanted to avoid criticism that Clear Sky as a "sequel" made little technological progress, so they promoted it as an add-on. What's a bit deceiving, but there you go. Since it does not install on top of Shadow of Chernobyl, it creates this confusion.

Which makes me think I should finally buy it and play it. I'm just waiting for the the price drop further. I wasn't convinced it's a MUST PLAY back when it was released.

Also I have munchings for a third run of Shadow of Chernobyl, I'd just like to try it with some decent big mod. Initially promising AMK 1.0 disappointed me in later areas because of the ridiculous hordes of spawned monsters, but now I'm too impatient to wait until AMK 2.0 comes out this autumn...

If AMK 2.0 and Call of Pripyat come out roughly at the same time, I sense the fans will have a busy autumn.

Hmm, perhaps I should try Priboy Story...

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

A second add on?
    Was there a first?
    Have you been living under a rock for the past two to three years or so? Stand-alone expansions is the standard these days. They're obviously more profitable this way.

Eg DoW1: Dark Crusade + Soulstorm, CoH: Opposing Fronts + Tales of Valor, Crysis: Warhead, FEAR: Perseus Mandate, RA3: Uprising... you get the idea.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 9th Apr 2009 at 08:23.

BR796164
    No, Muzman just has a life.

I want an urban map in the next Stalker that's NOT all combat. A ghost town plz!

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    I want an urban map in the next Stalker that's NOT all combat. A ghost town plz!
    That game is already out, it's called Fallout 3.

BR796164
    That's not quite... it.

new add-on hurray !!!!
    no faction war please. no invisible wall city like in clear sky.
    call of pripyat, nice, more assets for the modders !!!!

just right in time for Windows7 release, I played ClearSky on it and it looked so much better, especially the rain was immediately noticable as being improved and contributing much to the game's atmosphere.

let's hope the story gets improved as well....and the voiceover....and the upgrade/degradation system....so many construction sites left by CS...

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    just right in time for Windows7 release, I played ClearSky on it and it looked so much better, especially the rain was immediately noticable as being improved and contributing much to the game's atmosphere
    What are your specs, Mothra? Was this performance improvement on the same rig, except Vista vs. W7?

Thanks in advance.

i have an old dual core e6850, 4gb ram, nvidia 8800gts, creative x-fi and have win7 beta and xp-sp3 on dual boot. clear sky runs without problems on dx10 in win7, have the same settings enabled as on xp and turned on water effects in dx10. win7 itself is booting faster and working faster (explorer) than my xp install ! so I will certainly get it when it's out. vista never worked "out of the box" just like the beta did. if you need more info i can pm you my dxdiag.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Have you been living under a rock for the past two to three years or so?
    Apparently so. I haven't even heard of some of those.

Anyway, Not Stalker 2 then. I thought (in the translation) he was talking about some addon called Call of Pripyat and Stalker 2. Never mind then.
    I never thought Clear Sky was a full sequel (I would have been really annoyed if it was). It was never advertised or priced as such, so that's ok.
    Although I thought Clear Sky was OK, I probably wouldn't get another one like that. Not right away anyhow (and 'Call of Pripyat' is a slightly dodgy title there fellas)

there will be a stalker2 and it's being developed for the cryengine2. or its successor or updated xbox version...whatever. we'll see. most of the original devs of stalker1 are working on metro2xxxx (can't remember the number), which looks good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    and it's being developed for the cryengine2.
    That's not a fact. CE2 was just a suggestion of some fans, AFAIK there isn't any info what engine S2 will use, or whether the development already began or not. I guess they haven't decided about the engine yet and now are in hard search of qualified personnel for the team.

I can't think why they'd shelve XRay at this point, after so much development. Looks great and does great things. I mean people still use Source after all these years.

I can't think why they'd shelve XRay at this point, after so much development. Looks great and does great things. I mean people still use Source after all these years.
    I can think why. It runs like a one legged elephant with muscle wasting disease.

Will keep an eye on Metroxxxx.

I'm not aware of any evidence that Crytech (or Source or Unreal for that matter) wouldn't stumble a bit pulling the same kind of AI and landscape load.
    Then again I get the odd hiccup every now and then and that's it and my PC isn't exactly top of the line, so I can live with it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

I bet that the PC build of CryEngine 3 (2.5 really) will be ridiculously well optimised.

Taking a break
    You do realize CryEngine3 is essentially gutted out CryEngine2 so it works on consoles?

It's a step backwards from the PC side of things.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    You do realize CryEngine3 is essentially gutted out CryEngine2 so it works on consoles?

It's a step backwards from the PC side of things.
    What's your source? We know jack shit about CryEngine 3.

Maybe the PC build is more or less identical to CryEngine 2, with little technical evolution, except far better optimised. That's the thing, we don't know.

Page 1 of 30 12345611162126 ... LastLast