TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 47 1234561116212631364146 ... LastLast

Thread: The petition for Thief 1&2 source publication

The petition for Thief 1&2 source publication

You may ask me: "New petition? Again?!"
    I may answer you: "Yes."
    Do you know why? The situation has been changed this spring (2009) and we could make these changes... deeper. Together.

Update: It seems that we have found the source. That's right, I'm saying "we" - everyone who have signed this petition. Right now the source is in Eidos Montréal's hands, and they are working on its release. Does it mean that we should stop our petition? Of course not, because the source is still not opened for us, the Thief community.
    Last edited by MoroseTroll; 20th Dec 2010 at 04:57.

jtr7
    122 signatures so far, and I don't think it's a bad start. This one expands on the original one, it's not a repeat of the same some of us had signed already.

Signed

Never really understood why there was so much difficulty/reluctance handing over the source code.
    Only hope Square Enix can find the code in amongst Eidos hefty back catalogue.

Signed.
    Well, more than 130 now.

Signed.

Signed (#142), even though I seriously doubt we'll ever see it.

Signed. Dum spiro, spero.

Signed

Now 153

Signed #158! I hope Square Enix proves more receptive than Eidos, then again, come the 11th, releasing old Thief material might be great for PR and getting the community on their side.

166!

Releasing source code helps maintain community interest in and loyalty to game titles and the associated game developers of said titles long after the game is past it's selling prime.

And it's fun to play with.

I announced this topic in the german speaking ttlg forum as well.
    Here is the link in case you are interested: Thief Petition

And I signed it of course...as #174

jtr7
    Thanks, intruder! It's appreciated!

Signed #177.

Thank you, taffers, especially to intruder! Please do an announce at every place you visit. Alas, I cannot boast that I do a lot of this work - some sites deny to cooperate, most of them even do not respond . Anyway, at this moment we have 184 votes !

Signed # 186.

Here's hoping it goes all the way.

Clearinghouse

please

In the german forum, someone asked if there is any deadline for signing the petition. Is there one?

@clearing:
    Very good idea!

jtr7
    The deadline won't be for awhile, and of course, the original petition is still open. I don't think it should expire, unless Eidos thinks the signatures have an expiration date. If we don't get any feedback, any reply, yea or nay, then the petition should never close.

Thanks for the info jtr7!

203 so far so good

this was probably answered long ago, but...

Might Irrational have any information on the source code? I'm sure someone has thought of this before, but I couldn't really find any info searching. Seems like they would be more responsive than a large game publisher in helping the fan community out... or trying at least.

jtr7
    The two cofounders may have heard something, but they would have no rights to it. I'd be highly surprised if they had it somewhere not buried, if at all. Also, the co-founders left early on during the production of TDP, so the source code would be older. It would still give Volca a boost, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    The two cofounders may have heard something, but they would have no rights to it. I'd be highly surprised if they had it somewhere not buried, if at all. Also, the co-founders left early on during the production of TDP, so the source code would be older. It would still give Volca a boost, though.
    Well, my thoughts were that Irrational worked with the same source code (and LGS) when making SS2, and so they could have their own copies though this would not include any changes made for Thief 2.

Page 1 of 47 1234561116212631364146 ... LastLast