TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833384348535863 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 4 Officially Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by sterlino View Post
    Hey... nobody tells me that !!! i discovered this great news only today.
    You're the one who did this as an April fools joke

jtr7
    I can't wait to see what other "Legendary Games Studio" team member might log on and say hello! That alone is worth the wait!

Holy crap I'm late!

I've been so busy with work this week that I just saw this now!

Anyways I just joined the bookface group as well!

Hurray for THI4F!

This is great news! I really hope that the developers have the PC more in mind when they build this thing. I want the same great feeling when I played through T1 and T2 that I just didn't get with T3.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    You're the one who did this as an April fools joke
    just because i've lost my hopes... but now it is true..

All I can say is..Great Jumping Jiggling Weasels!!

Eidos Montreal, you have your hands well full. Please, please do the game the justice it deserves. And...Be Well.
    GM

This is unbelievable. Such wonderful news. I can hardly wait to see the outcome. Best of luck with the project; may this game become the jewel in the crown of the series.

Love the re-vamped new logo, it's funny (though a simpler Thief IV would be enough).

Well, 4 is supposed to be a lucky number (and it's also my official lucky number) - so I hope they don't butcher the fourth installment.

It's great to see them communicating with the fans of the series, I just really hope they'll take their time and won't needlessly rush the game's development. TDS suffered from a rushed release and it would be a shame to repeat the same mistake.

As far as gameplay and gear go, I'm the proponent of keeping it not overly gadgetized (like in TDP and TDS) and blending all the good elements of all three installments (emphasis on more realistic than magical gear, appropriate difficulty and challenging gameplay, high-quality production values for everything - graphics, dynamic lighting, in-game physics, sound and voice acting, atmospheric ambient music, a good story, etc.)

What I would like to see :
    - Swimmable water
    - All of the traditional thievy arrows (including rope and vine arrows for climbing)
    - Keep the climbing gloves as a faster, but less versatile alternative to the arrows
    - Body awareness, optional switching between first and third person, wall-flattening, lockpicking, improved sound distribution and NPC AI like in TDS (they were and still are superb even after all these years) - just more refined
    - Light gem and compass merged into one device like in TDS, game screen HUD-less while all weapons and items are undeployed
    - Heavily improved physics (with much greater enviromental interaction and better NPC ragdolls)
    - Only one potion type, please ! (Health potions, nothing of that other crap)
    - Scouting orbs deserve a comeback (this depends on whether you'll return into Garrett's shoes, ditto for the mech-eye), a corner-persicope could be a fine replacement for these
    - Simple "flask gadgets" kept and expanded upon : Where's the glue flask, damnit' ?! Oil and holy water is just not enough...
    - Hand-thrown bombs and mines, both flash and gas
    - If it isn't too hard to code, choosing either the sword or dagger and bow or crossbow would be nice while gearing up for a mission
    - Improve and expand upon the "open city" and "doing favors for factions" idea from TDS
    - Reasonable and tasteful city architecture and skin designs for various NPCs, not too stylized and cartoonish, more on the realistic and gritty side, more of the medieval (TDP, TDS) than Victorian (TMA) feel
    - Make the levels appropriately expansive, but also filled with details - too big and bland levels are a real bore and travelling through them gets seriously tedious (some of the TDP and TMA levels suffered because of this)
    - A respect for already existing creature and faction designs, but also attempting to make them look new and cool (I want burricks, craymen and Kurshies to show up again )
    - A good and thrilling story (doesn't need to be award-winning stuff, just make the character dialogue and the plot believable and not too over-the-top)
    - They should hire Eric Brosius for the music and sound department, or at least someone as talented as him
    - Release the game with a user-friendly enough level editor

One more thing : It's not a future Thief, is it ? Just out of curiousity... My hope for a 1930s Thief still hasn't wained (yeah, I'm a chronic dreamer)...
    Last edited by Petike the Taffer; 15th May 2009 at 07:23.

jtr7
    It's not going to be modern. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    All righty, I don't object. They could try that idea for Thief V, hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Petike the Taffer View Post
    Well, 4 is supposed to be a lucky number (and it's also my official lucky number) - so I hope they don't butcher the fourth installment.
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Bad
    Call of Duty 4: Bad
    Civilization 4: Bad
    Quake 4: Bad

Metal Gear Solid 4: Ok

Hitman- Blood Money (4): Good

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Ratings are based on the series, not the game itself.
    Last edited by infinity; 15th May 2009 at 16:19. Reason: Removed the Rainbow Six because it didn't really fit in.

See, I was talking to my father earlier about movies and stuff, and we both seem to see it like this. If you're going to make a new story to a video game, or a new movie for example that is a sequel to a previous installment, you can't just go wild with it and make it totally new. You might as well call it something else. Lemme give you an example. Let's say the topic is Superman. Alright, so those of us who grew up reading the comics (I haven't myself but my dad did) will know how superman's story goes. Well, let's say "they" (hollywood) decide to make a new movie about superman. Let' say that they decide to kill Lex Luthor off, and so therefore superman's arch nemesis is now somebody else. Wait no, let's make it even more extreme. Let's say it's superman in 2025, and his friends (no lois lane or jimmy olsen) don't even exist from the comics. Fans would go wild about this! It changes it too much. You might as well call it something else, and change the characters to fit the new story. This same sort of thing applies to thief. You can't make Thief 4 in modern times, otherwise it's not thief! How are you going to justify it? Did Garrett teleport to the future? It's just ridiculous. Sorry to say, but good thing Ion Storm wasn't able to make their modern thief. So, it's one thing if you're making a new intellectual product to do whatever the hell you want with it, but with sequels to things, you have to think things through, lest you want rabid angry fans on your heels.

jtr7
    Hee heee!

I feel I need to plug in something I've been saying: Life of the Party was modern Thief, and it could be developed even further. Just changing Garrett's outfit to something closer to the 19th century or 18th century would create a psychological shift that feels more modern than it really is.

Eidos Montreal
    Hi all,

Sorry for my delayed responses but I was traveling this week. Normally I respond much quicker so don't hesitate to contact me via PM at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsClaw View Post
    Eidos Montreal, you have your hands well full. Please, please do the game the justice it deserves. And...Be Well.
    GM
    Thanks! We are certainly ambitious developing both Thief 4 and Deus Ex 3 at the same time but I'll be here as your go-between with the dev team. Right now we're not saying anything more (frustrating, I know, I know!) but you can always try to get info to leak! Hehe. I'll be sticking my head into these forums as often as possible to see what people are discussing.

Love the re-vamped new logo, it's funny (though a simpler Thief IV would be enough).
    We are definitely seeing the community's feedback on this one. I personally like it but realize some don't. We'll see.

It's great to see them communicating with the fans of the series, I just really hope they'll take their time and won't needlessly rush the game's development. TDS suffered from a rushed release and it would be a shame to repeat the same mistake.
    For sure we will not be rushing things. Though this can lead to some frustration as you can find at the official Deus Ex 3 forum! People don't like to wait! But the studio mandate is to deliver on quality not just pushing things out the door.

One more thing : It's not a future Thief, is it ? Just out of curiousity... My hope for a 1930s Thief still hasn't wained (yeah, I'm a chronic dreamer)...
    I can say nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Says who!?

I for sure won't buy the game (or even won't play the demo) if there's even a hint about something like this:

A modern Thief will suck

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    ...but you can always try to get info to leak! Hehe.
    I'll give you 15 bucks if you post a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsClaw View Post
    All I can say is..Great Jumping Jiggling Weasels!!

GM
    GM, it's a pleasure to see you around again. Maybe you should pass René your contacts book.

No, not that contacts book...

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    Says who!?
    Hahaha! Don't kid like that!

Aren't all games modern at some point?

jtr7
    Meaning?

How about post modern? You play Garrett as he sits down to a Mechanist computer to play a Thief game.

I have played some FMs which contain computers for example... I think it will be interesting to see a steampunk computer in Thief 4, or something like this, but I won't enjoy the game if the whole plot settings are in modern time - cars, pistols, airplanes, jeans...

And THIS is a steampunk computer:

http://static.open.salon.com/files/t...1218580283.jpg

Visit shalebridgecradle.co.uk for all your testing needs.

Yes, R Soul please do explain. I can only guess what you meant, but I assume you meant that games being made now are "modern" (not necessarily their content, but the fact that they are made during the 21st century.)

Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833384348535863 ... LastLast