TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6111621222324252627282930313641465156616671 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 4 Officially Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    ...not counting the hate for the consoles of yesteryear and what happened with TDS, since the biggest concerns from then are no longer an issue...
    I think this is a very valid point. The previous generation of consoles were extremely limited, so much so that unless the game was virtually rewritten for PC (or created for it in the first place) then it was very likely to be castrated by its console roots. Fundamental things like level design and artistic freedom were horrendously affected. This is no longer the case; instead, the concerns are more along the lines of Briareos' post, in that the user interface (HUD, movement and so on) are problems. Often performance is an issue too. But those aren't caused by the fact that the game was written for console; they're caused by the fact that the devs made a half-arsed port.

Yes, making a game primarily for PC minimises the possibility for these issues to arise, but porting a console game to PC is no longer the near-impossible task it once was. It still has to be done properly though, and that remains a valid concern, but it's not worth writing DX3 (and possibly T4) off purely because of the parallel development method.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    (It's good to see you on the boards, Zac'. )
    You never know, we might all live long enough to see this game released.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

jtr7
    One short term goal after another, man.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf View Post
    Yes, making a game primarily for PC minimises the possibility for these issues to arise, but porting a console game to PC is no longer the near-impossible task it once was. It still has to be done properly though, and that remains a valid concern, but it's not worth writing DX3 (and possibly T4) off purely because of the parallel development method.
    It is. See: Dozens of examples why.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf View Post
    I think this is a very valid point. The previous generation of consoles were extremely limited, so much so that unless the game was virtually rewritten for PC (or created for it in the first place) then it was very likely to be castrated by its console roots. Fundamental things like level design and artistic freedom were horrendously affected. This is no longer the case; instead, the concerns are more along the lines of Briareos' post, in that the user interface (HUD, movement and so on) are problems. Often performance is an issue too. But those aren't caused by the fact that the game was written for console; they're caused by the fact that the devs made a half-arsed port.

Wires are getting crossed here.

1. I'm not writing off the games, but expressing a concern that since DX:HR doesn't give the PC an advantage but it's only a copy of the weakest console version, and that if this is an upper administrative decision, or the T4 team chooses to follow suit, then the PC gets screwed and we will be in a similar predicament to where we were with TDS, hoping more than ever we can get the SDK/Editor and strip out the console crap, and maximize the PC experience. Not knowing if we will ever get an SDK/Editor, and not knowing if the editor will even provide the means of having a T4 that isn't full of console tropes and design philosophies, let alone much useful for our much-desired FMs, is something to be avoided for this community. It's a concern over possible issues, some likely, some not as much, a hope of preventing a mistake with many ripple-effects, not a write-off.

2. I'm not talking at all about technical issues of porting console to PC. Not at all. They don't want the machines to have any significant differences. It's a choice, not a technical issue. "Identical gameplay" means the weakest console version is exactly what we play on the PCs and the other console. It isn't "ported" and modified to optimize the game for each machine if it's "identical" across all three. I'm talking about not wanting a PC game that is no different than the console version, instead of a superior and optimized PC version that capitalizes on the PCs superior potential. I don't want to ever feel like I'm playing a console game, especially with gamepad-tuned movement instead of optimized mouse&keyboard-tuned movement. This community of taffers has gotten so much out of the PC versions and if we have to do what the devs should've done, we will likely be fighting an uphill battle, as with TDS to this day. I want to avoid the possibility altogether and see a strong PC version optimized specifically for PC, no matter what the console versions are like.
    Last edited by jtr7; 26th Jul 2010 at 20:43.

So excited for this, and I never played T: DS or any fan missions. Only Thief and Thief 2 the days they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Risquit View Post
    or any fan missions. Only Thief and Thief 2 the days they came out.
    I envy you . It would be really nice to be able to play the best FMs again for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    I envy you . It would be really nice to be able to play the best FMs again for the first time.
    Yeah, I need to set up a rig just to go back and play TDS, T2, and the FMs...oh, and System Shock 2 (I had one save with almost zero ammunition and could never survive).

a little bit of news:

I've manage to use stealth and squeeze some info about the new game. Apparently it will be VERY dark and very realistic. Auldale is back and is very scary, same are the burricks. The setting is a little less steampunkish and more historical (whatever that means).

I've also grabbed a little extra, a bonus that I can't show yet, but i will post it when the official thief art shows on the internet

Last edited by Dominus; 23rd Oct 2010 at 18:28.

jtr7
    Less steampunk and more historic in relation to which game? TMA? That'd be fine, but if it's in relation to, or along the lines of TDS, then AAARRRRRGH! And if they are anchoring it to Earth history, then...damn. I don't know how you did it, Dom, but there've been too many who've made similar claims of insider knowledge, but you're the only one I trust.
    Last edited by jtr7; 23rd Oct 2010 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
    a little bit of news:
    How do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
    a little bit of news:

..................... Apparently it will be ................. very realistic.........................................
    So 3rd person view should be completely absent then....

I don't want Thief to become your typical boring medieval game.
    I don't want Thief to become a horror game.

Aaaand there you go again, anything we get to know about Thief 4 is bad news.

Thief 1 and 2 were very hardcore games, they don't make hardcore games anymore, they don't have the balls.
    I'm expecting an action packed game with some stealth (probably poorly made) but with amazing visuals - the recipe of any big budget modern game.

Editor-hungry as we are it might be "enough" to include good stealth gameplay and "only" use it rarely in the actual game.

Plus, the only famous game of the past years (which I know of) dealing with historical middle ages was Medieval II Total War. Mount & Blade isn't famous enough I think. What I'm trying to say... being historical is IMHO by no means a mass-market feature, I wouldn't see a reduction of Steampunk as a sign of mass-market compatibility (yeah, I know that no one here has made that connection yet, it just sounded like it could be next).
    Realistic on the other hand sounded to me as referring to gameplay elements which isn't something everyone is sad about, right?

None of this sounds very good to me. T2 built upon and improved T1 and both are excellent games, TDS went in a different direction and, dispite having more "realistic" graphics, ultimately failed, IMHO.

If "realistic" means a more robust physics engine, then that's good.

If it means higher resolution graphics, that's good.

If it means better modeled AIs, that may be good and it may be bad (I think the TDS AIs, while having more polys are less aetheticly satisfying and more cartoony than the T2 AIs; Again, T2 improved on T1 AIs, but TDS AIs are not so good IMHO); I would rather have low poly AIs that have personality in their modeling than hi poly AIs which look like anime.

If "realistic" means less magic and anachronisitic technologies then that's just plain bad.

I really want T4 to take us back to the Thief universe of T1 and T2 in terms of style, story, and game play. Better graphics, sure, but it must be cut from the original cloth. And Stealth must be at the core of the game not combat. If it loses that, it isn't Thief.

Seconded, LG.

Medieval II wasn't realistic, but hell, at least they tried. Steampunk as a whole is gradually becoming more popular (here in the Netherlands, at least).

jtr7

Square Enix earnings tumble by 75%

Oof!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-by-75-percent

Much of the decline was laid at the feet of MMO Final Fantasy XIV's disappointing performance. The PC game mustered global sales of 630,000 - although a PS3 version due in March may improve its fortunes.

"We're quickly working on reforms. We'd like to put our full power into regaining trust," CEO Yoichi Wada told investors.

"If we satisfy our users, they will return. On the other hand, once the users say, 'forget this,' there's no turning back. We can only recover our trust so far."

Ouch...

I have a bad feeling about this. Why is it every company that has the IP rights to Thief has problems?

Let's fuel the rumours and crush the hopes.

NoFrag, a reputable french gaming site specializing in first person games, published this a few hours ago in their rumors section. They are usually very trustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFrag
    Eidos-Montréal invite actuellement des quidam sous NDA a venir essayer Thief 4 sur X360. Quelques indiscrets nous ont contacté afin de nous faire partager leurs expériences :

Une bonne partie du jeu se joue à la troisième personne : l'escalade, les déplacements et même le tir à l'arc. On passe en vue subjectif lorsqu'on active un mécanisme, qu'on lit une note et surtout lorsqu'on utilise le mode "discrétion" : on peut alors voir ses pied et donner des coups de matraque.

Les deux niveaux auxquels ont joué nos informateurs étaient vraiment très linéaires et 90% de la progression s'y faisait en vue TPS, mais difficile d'en tirer des conclusions après à peine une heure de jeu. Ce serait tout de même très étonnant que 90% Thief ne se déroule pas en mode discrétion !

A suivre...
    Translation :
    Eidos-Montréal are currently inviting select people under NDA for a test drive of Thief 4 on X360. A few snoopers contacted us to share their experience:

A large part of the game is played in third-person: mantling, movement and even archery. The game goes in first person mode when triggering a mechanism, when a reading a note and more importantly when using the "sneak" toggle: this mode has body awareness and blackjacking.

The two levels that our informers played were extremely linear and 90% of the progression was done using third-person view, but it's difficult to jump to conclusions after only one hour of play. After all, it would be very surprising that 90% of a Thief game is spent not sneaking!

To be continued...

Meh.

Thread turning epic in 3... 2... 1...

But if this shit turns out to be true and accurate, heh... It's like... I'm out, man, you're on your own. Further and aggressively pushing a forced third person perspective after the community backlash it's been getting with DX3, even in a context where there are no "cool augmentations we want the players to see", strikes me as a rather obtuse move. As usual, I'll wait to see the game proper before I pass judgment one way or the other, and I can only hope your magazine are terribly misinformed, but this isn't winning any brownie points with my expectations.

Back to the business side of things, FF14's flop could pose an interesting financial opportunity for these old Eidos franchises. If DXHR manages to deliver commercially (and critically to the appropriate degree for sequel purposes) in February this could mean comfy budgeting for Thief IV and a future DX4, possibly more so than if Square's flagship IP were performing as expected in the market.

Looks like we'll be needing the fancy artworks after all.... if they're the closest thing to Thief in this whole game.

Are those "snoopers" to be trusted? I mean ... really really really to be trusted? Or are they just making shit up?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Risquit View Post
    Yeah, I need to set up a rig just to go back and play TDS, T2, and the FMs...
    No you don't. Thanks to various community projects, all Dark Engine games run better than ever on current hardware.

Page 26 of 74 FirstFirst ... 6111621222324252627282930313641465156616671 ... LastLast