TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 4 Officially Announced!

Excellent news.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrettwannabe View Post
    I believe Eric is currently the Audio Director at 2K as well.
    I believe he's at Harmonix with Greg LoPiccolo, Thief's original Project Director, although they created the original Guitar Hero (which has since been taken over by Red Octane/Activision).

Because of their overwhelming mainstream success with Rock Band and their background as rock musicians, I doubt they'll have the time or the inclination to leave Harmonix for Eidos Montreal.

However, perhaps Eidos Montreal could contract Eric Brosius to do some audio design like he did for Ion Storm on TDS or at least contract him to do some audio consulting like he did for Irrational Games/2K Boston for BioShock.

jtr7
    http://www.incgamers.com/News/16335/...tems-Announced

Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    For those of us in North America, or if you just generally have access to G4TV, check out Electric Playground at 6:00pm EST tonight (Monday the 11th) for an interview with our General Manager, Stéphane D'Astous.
    Thanks for the link!

Oh, and...what Twist said.

Thief 4! I'm so happy I'm almost crying!

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    I would love it if it played somewhat like Assassin's Creed, by which I mean ability to go anywhere. This is probably the biggest problem for me with video games. If you could get there in real life you should be able to in the game.
    I think the linearity (is that even a word?) of TDS was a major complaint among Thief fans. Here's hoping that T4 will be less linear and more explorable.

And have rope arrows.

And less loot glint. (Much, much less!)

And that Garrett will have remembered how to swim.

And any training mission will be optional.

'kthnx.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    René, I have a question. We're obviously not going to be able to get much information about what Thief 4 will be like, but how about telling us how Eidos arrived at the decision to start production? It would be interesting to hear about how that happened behind the scenes.

Yes, then we can start making plans to convince them to make Thief 5

I remember Eric saying (when I saw him speak last year at Boston College- it was interesting, because he came to talk about Guitar Hero but 85% of the questions were Thief-oriented) that he would be interested in working on Thief again, but would probably be too busy. I don't remember all too well though. I hope so, what his music and sound design added to the ambiance and feel of the game is almost invaluable.

Now, Rene, could you possibly reveal the grand idea behind the name thiefourf?

I think the only question I would have for Rene is - when will we get some actual info on the game itself? This could be something as simple as a press release with a basic description, the platforms the game will be made for, confirmation of Garrett as the main character, etc., or even screenshots and/or a trailer.

Can we hope for anything soon? As was mentioned, Thief4 was the worst kept secret on the net, so it would be cool to get some actual new information.

Hopefully that didn't sound too greedy.

Hi René,

great to see that you take the fans seriously. Listen to everything the fans say, but don't be afraid to disagree and make bold steps where you're convinced it's for the best.

My two cents:

Excellent choice of logo, keep it that simple. The original Thief logo is among the most distinctive logos in video games, you'd do well to extend on the old brand like you've done so far.

Regarding brand in general, I believe the core appeal of Thief is this:
    • Shadow-driven stealth (the primary reward is going from exposed to safe, "the bliss of darkness")
    • Extraordinary, moody, detailed sound design (for old-timer appeal: Stephen Russell in the lead role)
    • Quirky, distinctly steampunk/fantasy visual art and world design -- Thief 3 was too much Middle Ages
    • Realistic level design, with levels supporting a number of approaches and looking/behaving like real places (no corridor level design).

Looking very much forward to see what you'll create!

Just please make the game ghostable.

But please keep the forced ghosting to a minimum. Or make it optional.

Thnx.

jtr7
    Don't know what they could show us right now.

Thief 4 A Long Way Off, No Systems Announced
    11 May 2009 at 16:10:32 by Tim McDonald

Thief 4 is still very early in development, with no word of what systems it will be shipping on yet.

We spoke to Stéphane D'Astous, the general manager of Eidos-Montreal, who told us that the game has "been in the concept phase for approximately five to six months."

"In the world of gaming, there are mainly three phases - the concept, pre-production, and production - and right now we've reached our goals with the conceptual base, the story."

"We're going to be hiring approximately 40 people over the next six months - artists, programmers, designers, all the works. They'll be working on the next phase, which will be pre-production, so it's too early right now to mention any kind of a release window or SKUs that we'll be working on."

Personally, I can't imagine Thief not shipping on PC, and considering D'Astous also spoke about technology and hardware I'd imagine it'll appear on the more powerful consoles. For more on that, though, you'll have to wait for our full interview, which will be up later today.

Yeah, it seems it's early.

No problems with me there. I have time to wait for something good.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Don't know what they could show us right now.
    they better not make it for the Wii!
    Last edited by Cobak; 11th May 2009 at 14:26.

Given that (six months of concept time), I think they've said 18-24 months development time total is their goal. That would put the game out around the end of 2010 (at the latest). Just in time for Xmas.

Well it's after 6.00 pm and the sun is officially over the yardarm so I for one am celebrating. Cheers guys and gals and may all the dreams come true!

They say on their site that they want a 24 month cycle on game development. I hope that only counts pre-production (and excludes concept) because I'm willing to wait for the perfect game. Its the same deal over at the Bethsoft forums. DEVS: We will wait while you perfect the game. For Taffs sake, don't rush it!

right now we've reached our goals with the conceptual base, the story
    So... I guess they already know if Garrett is back.

ZylonBane

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've seen this year.

If this logo is representative of the level of logic and reason that's going to be applied to THIAF as a whole.... ummmm.... yeah. At least the trainwreck should be amusing.

right now we've reached our goals with the conceptual base, the story."
    If they've spent six months on the story, wouldn't that suggest they already have some basic ideas about the setting and main character?

Ah, you can always count on ZB to lay it all on the line.

jtr7
    Odd that one of the main questions over at Eidos is what Factions we think will return? Is it a contest, or are they asking what we'd like to see? Is the story concept a solid outline of character-less archetypes, yet to be given an actual set of pronouns, depth, and nuance?

René,

About that Thi4f logo, 99% of all the taffers around here disagree with that "4" thing, I personally find it very lame and stupid considering the Thief series renown and history. I understand marketing consideration to make the franchise accessible to the younger gamers but seriously, this is not the case. It really doesn't matter if it was just a temporary thing and (hopefully) you will get back to the original "Thief" logo, it was about making a bad decision for an announcement.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the person who decided to put that "4" in the title is in charge of the project, that meaning is not in good hands. If someone thought that will be a good idea, well that is just a very big mistake.
    I hope that he lets other more capable people take this kind of decisions for Thief 4.

That is all, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
    René,

About that Thi4f logo, 99% of all the taffers around here disagree with that "4" thing, I personally find it very lame and stupid considering the Thief series renown and history. I understand marketing consideration to make the franchise accessible to the younger gamers but seriously, this is not the case. It really doesn't matter if it was just a temporary thing and (hopefully) you will get back to the original "Thief" logo, it was about making a bad decision for an announcement.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the person who decided to put that "4" in the title is in charge of the project, that meaning is not in good hands. If someone thought that will be a good idea, well that is just a very big mistake.
    I hope that he lets other more capable people take this kind of decisions for Thief 4.

That is all, thank you.
    Calm down... He's already addressed this. It's only a working title, not the actual title.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...12&postcount=7

i have a feeling EM was having a little fun with us... and it worked rather well

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast