TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief speedruns

Amazing videos!

On First City Bank & Trust, how did you blast open the door? When I try that, nothing happens.

Which door? The vault door only opens this way on v1.07 (unpatched). If you mean the metal door, I have two different versions of Thief 2 and only one of them allows me to blast open metal doors. The version where it works is the Sold Out version, the other one is some shady version bought by my father in Singapore. You don't have to install Thief 2 again if you want v1.07, you can just copy miss7.osm and miss7.mis from your cd. This is the only mission where I used v1.07.

Yes, sorry, I meant the outer metal door.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a shady version from Singapore. I bought it at a retail store about ... 8 yrs ago? I dunno. It was a long time ago, came in the triangularish box with the paper jewel case and manual.

But anyway, after watching your video, I thought it would be fun to try since I'm playing T2 again and have just got to FCB&T.

Here is my version. Have fun.

Abz excellent, this makes thief challenging again in a very different way. I'd like to see people try and compete.

Feel free to try it on expert. Rogston is now doing a TDP run on expert, also a money run I think. He's also trying to implement NPC boosting in his run, which looks very awesome but has limited practical use.

After seeing these speedruns and those of TDP, I'm no watching TDP videos made by tarvis79: ghosting, all pieces of loot and all equipment. What a difference!

I think speedruns take more time though: With those vids of tarvis79 you have to find a way to ghost and find every piece of loot and equipment, but with speedruns you have to play each level twenty times just to find the shortest route.

I love watching speedruns! I'm curious though about how one actually records as one is playing the game? Can you also record while you're playing an FM?

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I love watching speedruns! I'm curious though about how one actually records as one is playing the game? Can you also record while you're playing an FM?
    Most people use Fraps and Camtasia for old 2d games.

Thank you! I always wanted to make some vids on Youtube of FMs.

I use Fraps, works great but it doesn't capture books and the menus. I've tried Camtasia but it's sloooooow. Yes, it works with fms, actually I'm looking for an fm to speedrun right now. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Poesta View Post
    I use Fraps, works great but it doesn't capture books and the menus. I've tried Camtasia but it's sloooooow. Yes, it works with fms, actually I'm looking for an fm to speedrun right now. Any suggestions?
    What would make a funny speedrun is A Brawl in the Tombs by John D.

I can't find it. Is the remake by Dark Assassin very different? Also, semi-related to speedrunning, I recorded a sudden heart attack in Thief 2.

jtr7
    That's the first quiet SHAS I've ever seen! My first experience with it was in S&R in Osterlind's office, and it was the classic crunch-SCREAM that gives the player a heart attack, too. If you record one of those, we could use it at the Wiki, but this one's good too, since it's a valid variation.

Rogston recorded a quite spectacular SHAS in the beginning of the bonehoard, I will ask him to upload it once YouTube starts working again.

jtr7
    Much appreciated!

Can't belive I've missed this one for a whole week. I know what tonight is going to be like. Or tommorow... some nerve breaking noises in the BG, which could greatly spoil my fun.

Thanks eddy; much appreciated! Can't wait to give it a try. (But don't be expecting any speedrun vids from me; more like slowruns!)

Here's the SHAS I was talking about.

Wow, i haven't realized so much doors can be blown open by a fire arrow. That's a bit inspiring.

Great vids! I've yet to watch the other half of 'em.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Poesta View Post
    Here's the SHAS I was talking about.
    Thanks!

LoL! You are mad!

Though are you going to finish those expert speedruns?

Omg! The zombie bug in cragscleft is pure brilliance.
    LOLCAKE! Same with bonehoard! These updates aren't simply just better timing!

Okay, watched them all. Quite impressive, enjoyed watching them! Also, what about T2/T2x speedruns? Hahah...
    Last edited by Thor; 12th Sep 2009 at 07:33.

Yeah, the zombie jumps were pretty cool, something I had no idea about! But I was personally most impressed by "Escape", since there were no tricks (that I could see), just super fast running straight to the exit, whereas I always remember playing that map for what felt like HOURS!
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Though are you going to finish those expert speedruns?
    Thats next on my speedrunning schedule. Those missions will be very difficult since they might need several NPC boosts for optimal time. Even one NPC boost is really hard to do in perfect conditions. It will take quiet a while...

Also, what about T2/T2x speedruns?
    At the moment I'm only concentrating speedrunning TDP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast