TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief speedruns

Note that youre comparing different games. I never did a TDP speed run but in TG and many missions were changed in TG. Also, I never tried to optimize any individual missions except Bafford's but the game as a whole, so buying stuff from the store was never possible. That said, I really enjoy that after all these years people have started to make speed thief runs and that many of the old mission records did not stand the test of time.

P.S.: I really like the clever route you took in Bafford's.

Note that youre comparing different games. I never did a TDP speed run but in TG and many missions were changed in TG
    I know but there has been no serious speedrunning on TDP so I used Gold times instead, they are good point to start.

That said, I really enjoy that after all these years people have started to make speed thief runs and that many of the old mission records did not stand the test of time.
    My initial plans for speedrunning TDP are from 2004. In late 2008 I decided to finish it. After speedrunning about a year I have noticed how broken and bad designed the system really is (read as great speedrunning potential ) but I still love the game.

jtr7
    Broken and bad designed...movement? Are you sure it's not because you're in a great hurry in a game meant to be played slow?

@Rogston:

Can you give me a list of your attempts for all missions in a format that I can add to my old speed run thread, including the version you played. And in which way did you exploit the shop? How much money did you have and how did you get it?

Broken and bad designed...movement? Are you sure it's not because you're in a great hurry in a game meant to be played slow?
    The most buggiest thing in thief is climbing by far. Then its the physics and then AI.

Climbing is just random, sometimes it works and sometimes not.
    Physics are also bit random, but cause less trouble than climbing. Basically physics aren't consistent , like when jumping similarly twice is hard and really hard if you go high speed.
    For AI I want to quote one of the SDA verifiers:
    Thief AI is very clever in one respect - it's well designed to give the impression of being better than it really is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj0PsJFSfhw
    here is a example of AI going OFF when I go out of their normal range.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing thief normally. I just want to note that it isn't as perfect as it seems
    @Rogston:

Can you give me a list of your attempts for all missions in a format that I can add to my old speed run thread, including the version you played. And in which way did you exploit the shop? How much money did you have and how did you get it?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rogston
    On my youtube channel is all my thief footage that I have released. We used the retail version of TDP (1.14v). I had saves which had all money collected from previous level and I just would select the things that I need for the run and save again in the menus so that I can start the mission quickly.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/i...ic,9136.0.html
    Here is official thief the dark project speedrunning thread on SDA.

I've integrated Rogstons times into the speed thief collection. But here's a challenge. There are five missions left, that haven't been done in less than five minutes:

05:41 Precious Cargo
    06:44 Life of the Party
    07:54 Trace the Courier
    08:31 Maw of Chaos
    11:48 Sabotage at Soulforge (with speed potion bug) (S)

Who can cut these down by any means except cheating?

Poesta has speedrunned T2:

Precious Cargo 4:41
    Life of the Party 6:42
    Trace the Courier 3:27
    Sabotage at Soulforge 11:08

More about the run:
    http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/i...ic,8648.0.html

Maw of Chaos can be done under 5min only if Constantine can be glitched. He's so stubborn!

The trick with the zombie catapult in Cragscleft is ingenious

Quote Originally Posted by Volca View Post
    The trick with the zombie catapult in Cragscleft is ingenious
    What zombie catapult? Which video are you watching.

Here at 0:20 - 0:22

I don't have flash on my box, so I can't check this video, but if it's the same as on speeddemosarchive, I don't see what you mean.

Nope, the speeddemosarchive one is different. The lying down zombie, next to the mining truck in the base of Cragscleft is hijacked - as it stands up the player is catapulted up.

So it's a variation of the old AI jumping technique?

I only know about the landing on AI to prolong the fall distance - so I can't judge (assuming you mean some different technique that is unknown to me).

In T1, if you lean around an AI and then twist it can catapult you at ridiculous speed all over the level. For example, you can get into Bafford's manor this way. The same is possible with open doors, but it's almost impossible to control. Probably somewhat related to SHAS.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    In T1, if you lean around an AI and then twist it can catapult you at ridiculous speed all over the level.
    Mega jump? training_2.mkv, training_1.mkv.

Mega jump? training_2.mkv, training_1.mkv.
    I call it NPC-boost since you gain speed from leaning over the edges , the jump just helps managing the direction.

In T1, if you lean around an AI and then twist it can catapult you at ridiculous speed all over the level. For example, you can get into Bafford's manor this way. The same is possible with open doors, but it's almost impossible to control. Probably somewhat related to SHAS.
    The control depends what you are using , typical objects don't give good edges. Zombies and guards tend to have shoulders made so that it is like a V-shape or sphere but they tend to move and change directions all the time.

Funny that all the things we did years ago described only as text are now available as videos.

I think the former name of this technique was "NPC jumping".

lol I've never heard of this before. Now I've got to go try it.

The training mission is the best place to try it because you can't die. I had some pretty funny results in Bafford's too.

Luthien is back !

Nice to sse you, Foxx

The Speed Thief Collection is now up to date. I've added all results that I am aware of. If anything is missing, please tell me.

jtr7
    Cool!

I pasted the keywords into the Tags section.

Clearinghouse
    Very nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast