TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief speedruns

Thief speedruns

I just finished uploading all of my Thief 2 speedruns, so I thought I'd make a post about it here. I did this mission by mission on normal difficulty, using items purchased from the shop. Here are the videos. I've compared my times to those listed in the old speed thief thread and with those of another runner, and afaik these are all record times. I hope you enjoy the videos.

There is also a speedrun for Thief TDP by Rogston finished not so long ago, which is far more impressive imho. You can find the playlist here. These are also individual missions with items, on normal difficulty.

For TDS fans there is also a 100% speedrun on expert available here, done by CannibalK9. That's 100% loot in the missions, not including the loot in the city, rustmites etc.

So... any shortcuts I have missed? Think you can do RtC in under 37 seconds? Let's hear some discussion!

Edit: Here's a playlist with speedruns on expert by Gecko (Bentraxx) and Nossi (TheStefan02).
    Last edited by Poesta; 19th Jun 2009 at 13:40. Reason: added the new expert runs

jtr7
    Good job and thanks! I find speed runs fascinating.

Think you can do RtC in under 37 seconds?
    My best one is 1,5 hours, but I would be happy to try.

Oh man it's finally here!

I actually started doing a speedrun for T2 some years ago on hard (I'm Dreadi on the sda forums). I recorded all missions except the soulforge which just seemed to get too tricky and then I kinda just lost interest after wasting months on the project.

I'm glad you stuck to it and finished it. Gonna watch the whole thing tomorrow.

Southquarter.com/fms
    First City Bank and Trust in 1:07? Now that's impressive.

Clearinghouse
    Interesting vids. Thanks for sharing it

Quote Originally Posted by Poesta View Post
    Think you can do RtC in under 37 seconds? Let's hear some discussion!
    Are we talking with or without the 'propping open the door trick'? Because if someone can pull that off without it I will be floored.
    Last edited by Phyre; 4th Jun 2009 at 04:37. Reason: spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by Phyre View Post
    Are we talking with or without the 'propping open the door trick'? Because if someone can pull that off without it I will be floored.
    Actually, he keeps open two doors which would normally close. Now that I know that saatana hangs around TTLG, I give full credit to him for the elevatoring trick and the timesaver in Blood.

Edit: I should also give credit to p4ch. Clearing has a video of his Bank run on his site, without it I wouldn't have known the vault door trick.
    Last edited by Poesta; 4th Jun 2009 at 08:53.

Clearinghouse
    Edit: I should also give credit to p4ch. Clearing has a video of his Bank run on his site, without it I wouldn't have known the vault door trick.
    Yes, speedruns by p4ch.

I've discovered a better route in S&R that I have done in 1:58, 10 seconds faster. I will upload it tomorrow.

jtr7
    Heh heh.

The bank in just over a minute? Not possible in the Thief game I own. You didn't visit the records room which is a required objective.

jtr7
    Whoa. A broken objective, too? Or does opening the Vault first (if one is able) negate it? I've yet to experiment with it, myself.

Wow, you're a god! Great job dude!

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    The bank in just over a minute? Not possible in the Thief game I own. You didn't visit the records room which is a required objective.
    I seem to remember reading in some walkthrough that the "records room" objective isn't actually necessary and ticks off automatically once you get to the vault. Or maybe playing it that way... Or the objectives are different on normal and expert...
    Dunno, it's been too long since I played that mission. So you could call it broken - I'd call it "optional"

Have you watched the speedrun for "Eavesdropping"?
    I had to laugh when Garrett makes that comment about having known what to do with the key before overhearing the conversation.
    Since I usually play that mission by eavesdropping first, I've never heard that snippet before. I never suspected it to be there...
    Last edited by Meisterdieb; 4th Jun 2009 at 21:11.

Ah, still, I wonder what the best possible time for RTTHC would be w/o the door thing.

Your video for 'Framed' was impressive, Poesta.

So have you used the elevatoring trick to visit the dancing zombies? Do they react at all?
    Last edited by Phyre; 4th Jun 2009 at 22:25. Reason: spelling again

Quote Originally Posted by Meisterdieb View Post
    Have you watched the speedrun for "Eavesdropping"?
    I had to laugh when Garrett makes that comment about having known what to do with the key before overhearing the conversation.
    Since I usually play that mission by eavesdropping first, I've never heard that snippet before. I never suspected it to be there...
    Or in "Sabotage at Soulforge". Garrett changed five tower signals, goes to the exit, but first stops by the PLan Room to make a plan to stop Karras.

This guy from YouTube has done a few literal speedruns ("poltergeist style" ) for TDS :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwGv...eature=related - Rutherford Castle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAbo7...eature=channel - St. Edgar's Cathedral
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByaPT...eature=related - The Pagan Sanctuary (part 1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnh-7...eature=related - The Pagan Sanctuary (part 2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cx4L...e=channel_page - The Overlook Manor

Dude you totally shred it to pieces. Congrats!
    I've tried running it myself, as listed on the older thread (and SDA thread), but much, much slower.
    One thing that begs a question is that are those individual runs, ie. did you use some other saves so you could buy everything (I saw more than one invisibility potion on one mission for example. Also firearrows on Bank and Framed) without looting the previous mission?

@SlyFoxx: It's optional, the objectives just don't state it. It would be stupid to look up the locker number if you already have the recording. Note that forcing open the vault door only works in v1.07.

@MorbusG: These are individual missions, e.g. I buy 3 speed potions, 2 invisibility potions and 2 flashbombs in Eavesdropping while I didn't get any loot in Ambush. It's the same thing Rogston did with his TDP run.

^Oh, right, just checked the TDP gamepage on SDA and it has its own category: "Moneyrun". Nice, there's still a gap I could fill...

@Phyre: I missed your post. The zombies don't react to you. You can also get there without elevatoring: climb onto the pub via the dumpster and then jump over the wall. The trees and the lantern are ghosts, just like many of the buildings surrounding Shoalsgate Station.

I just got 1:55 on S&R. I see if I can shave off another second.

Edit: I've added S&R in 1:55 and Ambush! in 2:04 to the playlist.
    Last edited by Poesta; 5th Jun 2009 at 13:42.

@Phyre: I missed your post. The zombies don't react to you.

Ah, I thought that would probably be the case.

You can also get there without elevatoring: climb onto the pub via the dumpster and then jump over the wall. The trees and the lantern are ghosts, just like many of the buildings surrounding Shoalsgate Station
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to try this the next time I go through 'Framed'.

And again neat videos.