TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Thief II - The Golden Project - First City College (8-VII-09)

T2 FM: Thief II - The Golden Project - First City College (8-VII-09)

Thief 2: The Golden Project
    Mission 1: First City College

Story:

Hello,

My name is Darius and I'm an agent of the woodsie queen Victoria. Things aren't going well these days, because the Mechanists are taking over the City and we, the Pagans are constantly under threat. We don't know what the Mechanists have in their
    mind, but a fellow thief named Garrett has been sent into the huge Mechanist castle named Angelwatch to investigate the situation.

Meanwhile, I also have a mission to fulfill. A fellow agent named Alun was working in a local college, but we haven't heard anything from him for weeks.
    This is what I'm going to do - to find out what happened.

The building is in Auldale and it's not new - It served as a museum in the recent past. I tried to find out information about it when an old woman told me the following story:
    The former museum was built by a rich lord and he was one of the richest people in the City. After his death, his best friend and his nephew were the curators of the museum.
    Unfortunately, the best friend died too and the nephew couldn't handle all things alone and went bankrupt.

The museum became abandoned, but was never demolished because there was a rumour that ghosts were inhabiting the museum. However, recently a brave man called George decided to investigate the situation and, to his surprise, the building turned out not to be haunted and there weren't any ghosts there.

He then decided to make the museum a college: a place where rich nobles and their children can study. To gather all knowledge George, now the headmaster, has decided to invite all City factions - the Mechanists, the Pagans and the Hammerites. Many people in the City were sceptics if all factions will ever work together peacefully, but weeks passed and there were no serious incidents.

However, I fear that this peaceful time is over and I suspect that Alun was murdered by the Mechanists. My first objective is to find out under what circumstances he was murdered. There are also a lot of valuables in the college and I'm going to take them for myself, which will be my second goal.

Luckily, I managed to sneak into the college undercover. The guards won't touch me, so I can stroll freely in most places of the Building. However the Mechanists in the Museum know who I am and will attack me on sight. There are certain places I should avoid also and I have marked then on my map with a red mark.

There's no time for waiting - the Karras has his plans and I don't believe the situation in the City will change for good. It's time to begin.

FAQ: in the mission readme.
    Darkloader ready.

Special thanks to: PotatoGuy, suewan, SirFreddieM for helping me with the plot.
    Alpha tester: PotatoGuy
    Betatest team: darthsLair, SirFreddieM, PotatoGuy, suewan, Gloria Creep

I hope you will enjoy it!
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 10th Jul 2009 at 16:45.

Thanks a lot for the new mission, lets hope a lot more will follow.

very nice. Downloaded it with ease and looking forward to playing it.

OK, I'm very impatient to hear what you think about this first medium-sized mission I'm releasing since Avidan

Congrats on the release, B_T - very much enjoying it.

Sorry to post a question so early, but I feel like I've crawled all over the Gallery & can't see any kind of switch. Could I just get a nudge / hint, please?

Of course you can:

The secret switch is not in the Gallery itself, you have to sneak into the Forbidden area. There you'll have to go into the headmaster's room. Search carefully.

Thanks, B_T! Got it straight away - should have spotted it the 1st time I was in there

Whoopy! A new mission that early in the morning, what a treat. Off to play

Sticky Fingers : All I can say I was influenced by "The house of Widow Moira" OM in Thief 3

I played through the mission and noticed some things that should be changed:

1. Guards with huge scrolls attached to their belts look rather strange

2. All sitting persons do not respond to you. A sitting guard wanted to attack me while stil sitting on a chair. He moved and turned around on his chair but never hit me. Seems like you've forgotten to add an alert response.

3. You used the original Thief 2 bookcase secret door in one big room (I think it was the art gallery). This object has no real texture on its left and right side, only a strange greenish colour. And you forgot to uncheck the "Blocks Vision" property and therefor each of the bookcases has a black square in its center.

4. The typical ambient when starting a mission can be triggered each time you enter the area where you started (next to the tree). I think you used the m00start-schema. It should be triggered only once...

5. Why do all the students rooms look identical? I'm a student myself living in an rooming house for students and although all rooms have the same layout, each one is looking different (wallpapers, furniture...).

6. You should change the textures in this room:

Please don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that this mission has been released to early.

excellent ... another reason not to get on with my own mission

oo Bulgarian_Taffer could you (or a mod) add a release date to the thread title please so I don't see this in six months and think it's a new release, I have a very short memory

I will think about improving the mission, but it won't happen these days or even weeks

I'm a student myself living in an rooming house for students and although all rooms have the same layout, each one is looking different (wallpapers, furniture...).
    Hahaaa, you have to visit Bulgaria

Now seriously: It's because of multibrushing. It was intended to speed up development.

I know this mission is far from perfect. OMs in Thief 1/2 had a rooms with one or two textures like the one you criticize. Bafford's and Ramirez, for example.
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 8th Jul 2009 at 10:18.

I've played through most of the mission and I generally like it but I've found a number of rather deadly bugs:

1. When a civilian sees me doing something illegal they respond by entering permanent search mode, they search for and follow me around not alerting the guards and never enter the proper panic mode

2. Guards, and civilians for that matter, don't care if I carry bodies, if they are on the ground the guards immediately try to kill me but if I don't put them down they could care less.

3. Many doors don't block AI's LOS allowing Mechs to attack me without warning

4. I can steal whatever I want and no one cares

5. The map is horribly inaccurate, it is barely even comparable to the actual mission

6. There appears to be no way into the map area marked Hamms

Quote Originally Posted by Stath MIA View Post
    5. The map is horribly inaccurate, it is barely even comparable to the actual mission
    North is to the right, which threw me.

The mission is medium-sized and you don't need a map. What you only need is to know where the dangerous spots with Mechanist are so you can avoid them. The map was included in the very last moment.

What makes me wonder is that you really complain about so little and so silly things that are common in many FMs... Do you want me to give examples? The bug in the Oh Dear FM that causes to stay under the elevator forever? Or the prisoners in Lord Ashton - Mission 3 who are calling the guards when you rescue them? Or the civilians who enter permanent search mode in 70% of the FMs I've played?

In the end: If you don't like it, don't play it. Or make something better. Thief II Gold missions were released in 2006 and nobody started working on them for three years.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Congratulations on Your Release B_T! Very Good Work!

A simple explanation for some of the AI reactions, is that Darius is Welcomed by all factions (as it says in the intro story line) except by the Mechanist faction, who are guarding their secrets among other things. The suspicion was and is that the Mechanist were behind the vanishing of Alun. Darius is only there to investigate to find the answers. The booty is part of the game, and how many thieves in the World are not willing to take a chance to improve their livelyhood even with a chance of being caught. It is an in and out style. The sitting AI are there for props more or less....students in a class room. They will not respond to Darius as he is considered to be a new coming student to the College.

The ambient start would only be triggered more than once if the player had a second reason for exploring the Archer on patrol near the camp fire, and to find moss arrows ect., the player will want to search a wide span, not covering the same ground twice. The ambient start also tells the player that he has been here before, as in some complicated large city missions where the final objective is to return to where you started. This can be a good feature.

Like Bulgarian_Taffer has stated, this release is to get a Positive or Negative reaction which would determine if he continues his work on the Gold at all.
    Constructive criticism is for the Community as well as the Author of an fm, but also what must be considered is that time is taken from real life to fulfill something for everyone that can be enjoyable if they are not always looking for perfection. This concept could kill an Authors motivation for trying to reach perfection, because of this perfection like anticipation. Sometimes due to each individuals perception, good, bad, perfect, imperfect and so on cannot be standardized by no means. Maybe only alittle by percentage, or ratings by the multitudes, and even after years be known even more.

In my opinion This was a job well done for a trial run to gauge the popularity of the intermixed story lines which again in my opinion are well suited for Thief 2 the Metal age beginning and ending saga. (my opinion)

I really do wish for some more Gold adventures B_T, and I look forward to another story in the future. Again, Job Well done!

Bulgarian_Taffer, you shouldn't take it personal. You created a mission that is fun to play with great capabilities. I'm speaking of capabilities because it left me with the feeling that it has been released too early.

Quote Originally Posted by Stath MIA View Post
    4. I can steal whatever I want and no one cares
    This is a good example of what I mean. Your Fm isn't the ordinary "break into house X and steal Y gold"-mission. You created a undercover mission which is cool - but looting the place while guards are watching you breaks the immersion. Just take the T1 OM Undercover as example: you were not allowed to enter several rooms, if you did and someone spotted you - you were in big trouble! Same with stealing when they where looking at you...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    Thief II Gold missions were released in 2006 and nobody started working on them for three years.
    Which doesn't mean that player's can't make proposals or report things they noticed to the author

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    The mission is medium-sized and you don't need a map. What you only need is to know where the dangerous spots with Mechanist are so you can avoid them. The map was included in the very last moment.

What makes me wonder is that you really complain about so little and so silly things that are common in many FMs... Do you want me to give examples? The bug in the Oh Dear FM that causes to stay under the elevator forever? Or the prisoners in Lord Ashton - Mission 3 who are calling the guards when you rescue them? Or the civilians who enter permanent search mode in 70% of the FMs I've played?

In the end: If you don't like it, don't play it. Or make something better. Thief II Gold missions were released in 2006 and nobody started working on them for three years.
    Oh, don't be that way. I really did enjoy it, I said as much before. I was just trying to offer constructive criticism and inform you of bugs which you might otherwise have missed. I'm sorry if you took that as a slap in the face, I assure you that was not my intention. I really appreciate the work you are doing and wholeheartedly hope you continue on with your noble goal of bringing these lost missions to life.

With utmost sincerity,
    Matt

I don't get it Taffers.
    Why all of this stress about this mission.
    I betatested it and I didn't find all those bugs you're talking about. OK. once in a while a guard could walk through a part of a door, when it was open, but never through a closed door. This happens a lot in other FM's, but I don't consider that a big bug myself.
    And I never would consider to analize the Thief OM storyline, when I would make a FM of my own.
    I would just write my story and put in all the stuff I was cabable to put in.

I now for a fact that B_T has been thinking of this, since he didn't make the masks pickable. I never would have thought of that, so when I asked him about this, he informed me of the logic in it.

My compliments are for Bulgarian_Taffer, who gave us another great mission to play. It took time for him to do so, as it took time for the testers.
    I, for one, enjoyed it very much

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria Creep View Post
    I betatested it and I didn't find all those bugs you're talking about. OK. once in a while a guard could walk through a part of a door, when it was open, but never through a closed door. This happens a lot in other FM's, but I don't consider that a big bug myself.
    That's not what I was talking about, the mechs and other guards could actually see me through a handful of closed doors. Specifically the ones in the corridor leading to the Pagan quarters.

Just started playing but I really liked the alternating textures on the outside of the main building

I look forward to playing the rest and thank you

I played it this morning and thought it was fine. Great Job!

Don't worry, taffers. I'm open even to very harsh criticism. I see the point when you say the FM may have been released too early. But believe me, I had a schedule for this job. Otherwise I may have not released it at all...

Better something than nothing is the best when you are a graduating student, in the meantime you're interested in politics and have to speak on TV about the local elections, meanwhile you have a big website and have to offer all the support. And, your friends What should you do? Most FM authors abandon creating FMs at all. Just think about all these FMs that were never released and all these that were canceled. I don't like to have many abandoned FMs.
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 9th Jul 2009 at 03:19.

I should wait some of the official reviews of the mission where everything should be summed up - what you liked, what you didn't like, did you get what you expected or so.. Reviewers - SneakyJack, The Mike, all the others - it's up to you now

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast