TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mothership Zeta DLC beams down in August

I didn't have any technical problems while playing this DLC but the quality of the gameplay is as you said - just run and gun. Problem with the Bethsoft guys is, they seem to design games like: ok, let's create some environment with nice graphics, add some dungeons and monsters and the rest will somehow go along...

This add-on is about as far away from the Fallout 3 blueprint as you can get. Its basically a standard on rails shooter that takes place in a bland environment with very little variety of enemies or weapons. The minimum of effort seems to have gone into the RPG elements. Once you finished all the quests you'll be able to travel back to the alien ship whenever you like, although fuck knows why you'd want to do that. My advice, spend your hard earned cash on Prey instead.

This is the worst piece of crap I've played in a long time. I actually kinda enjoyed Fallout 3. I loved The Pitt and Point Lookout (and if they had been full expansions they'd be so much better).

Mothership Zeta SUCKS. I don't know if it's the way I played or what, but not only is it generic, it's standing still and pumping bullets into aliens that have a ton of shields. It was such a chore playing that dlc, the whole time I played I was begging for it to end, JUST END. The only cool aspect is the view of the earth below, and they even screwed that up by making it low res.

I love Broken Steel/Point Lookout, I thought The Pitt was good but a missed opportunity (having lived here for the past 13 years, I was hoping for a chance to explore a post-apoc version of 1950 Pittsburgh, and it failed miserably from that standpoint), and Operation Anchorage/Mothership Zeta are basically outright cheating from a character-development standpoint: do a short, linear set of missions and end up with a pile of overpowered shit that totally breaks the game balance. The Chinese Stealth Suit ruins the great stealth play of the vanilla game, where having 100 sneak and silent running just made it play like Thief rather than turning you into an overpowered invisible super soldier. Likewise, MZ basically removes the scarcity that made the alien weapons so valuable in the original game.

That's something that bugs me about most of Bethesda's recent DLC really. I enjoyed the overall game balance in Oblivion and Fallout 3, KOTN and Broken Steel gave us some new missions to complete, and Shivering Isles/Point Lookout gave us interesting new areas to explore, but installing the other stuff feels like cheating to me.

The part that's boring in Operation Anchorage is the simulation. The before and after are interesting. CSA I enjoyed as well, it's a unique armor that provided another option than the direct line of sight stealth and doubled with stealth damage modifier. I don't think it ruined the stealth either, cus the stealth in FO3 wasn't very fun. It's annoying if you put the points into stealth, but I lived with it.

Mothership Zeta on the other hand, is wholly boring. Even the weapons are useless. As the last dlc by that time I had better weapons, like the backwater rifle from Point Lookout. The x5 critical + my multiple critical bonuses makes it a truly great weapon.
    Last edited by Jashin; 12th Nov 2009 at 15:53.

Previously Important
    I still can't even bring myself to finish Mothership Zeta. After about 20 minutes of punching aliens in a UT2k4 map, I realized that I couldn't do this for another hour and a half so I reloaded the save I made just outside the Recon Craft crash site. Point Lookout was totally awesome with great new enemies and goodies and an actual atmosphere beyond the texturing. The Pitt was, I agree, a missed opportunity -- but a bit of fun and a very provocative story which really fit the main game. Mothership Zeta is retarded, and I'm quite hesitant to start Anchorage now because of that.

Anchorage was the only one I played. It was okay I suppose, but really just [40] minutes of [shooting Chinese soldiers] in a UT2k4 map slapped into the middle of Fallout and an unbalanced piece of armour as a reward at the end of it all. Can't really complain because it's not like I was ever going to help encourage Bethesda "Horse Armor" Softworks to take this path by paying for it. Zeta sounds pretty similar to Anchorage tbh

GBM: It only gets worse from there (MZ). Broken Steel is excellent, though.

Mothership Zeta is MUCH worse than Anchorage. I didn't even think it was possible after playing OA for the first time, but they pulled it off.

At the very least, Anchorage gives you some pretty useful equipment. Everything you get in MZ is pretty sub-par (except the Samurai armor).

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    At the very least, Anchorage is interesting. Put some Metal Gear Solid music in the appropriate folders and you're good to go.

Previously Important
    a) I realize this is a MZ thread
    b) O:A didn't suck that hard

Maybe I went in with a high enough level and low enough expectations. It reminded me a WHOLE lot of Goldeneye, so I played it that way. Once you get rid of those squad members it's not unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    Maybe I went in with a high enough level and low enough expectations.
    OA doesn't seem to be that demanding in terms of the level, this run I went in at just over 10 and it was still far from being painful.

It reminded me a WHOLE lot of Goldeneye, so I played it that way.
    I believe you've nailed it here, GBM! It DOES feel a lot like Goldeneye... And come to think of it, that's the way I've been playing it (except that my emphasis would gradually switch from close-range combat to sniping as the campaign progressed). The places where enemies teleport in out of nowhere are rather annoying but they're only a real problem the first time through, later on you remember what places on the map cause them to spawn and can get back into hiding by the time they've actually shown up.

Once you get rid of those squad members it's not unplayable.
    I normally don't even let them follow me.

Regarding the Stealth Armour, I wouldn't call it that much over the top... Sure, using it on a regular basis changes the gameplay a lot - but I would consider this to be an advantage, as having decided not to use it (or Stealth Boys) at all this time through has changed my experience a lot. And besides, it's not that Stealth Boys are rare in FO3... I think I've already collected close to a hundred and I haven't even got that far yet.

Oh, and as for MZ - I've just reached it on my second FO3 play-through and I must agree, it's freaking horrible... At least this time I took the Microwave Emitter with me so that I needn't waste any more time than necessary on those stupid aliens.

I wasn't talking about the stealth armour, I was talking about the fucking wedding cake t51b or whatever its called. Until I played Fallout 3 with FWE installed, that thing was so OP as to be game breaking (this is is from memory, maybe I'd hit level 20 by that point, I dunno)

Part of that is because of a bug that gives it near-infinite health so it doesn't degrade with use.

The one thing I wish Bethesda would remove from the next FO/ES games would be the ability to have "constant effect invisilbity" armor. Chameleon armor in ES3 wasn't quite the "I WIN!" button that the Chinese Stealth Suit or Constant-Effect Chameleon armor are. At least in FO3 people will occasionally see you if you walk into them though. It's funny having 100% Chameleon in ES4 and being able to attack people and have them immediately forget about you.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 9th Aug 2010 at 21:57. Reason: counting fail

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

No one is forcing you to equip the OP stealth armour. If you don't like, just don't use it. Simple.

Yes, the solution to game balance breaking items in RPG's is to not use them. Why didn't I think of that?

Yes, why didn't you? Or is that a solution only to those of us who enjoy RPG's precisely because of the fact that they tend to allow us to play the game the way we want to? I mean, there are people on this forum who simply could not enjoy Bioshock until they had the ability to turn off the Vita Chambers. I simply reloaded any time I died. Was that so difficult?

You'd be surprised.

It wouldn't be very good role playing if my stealth character found a goddamn suit that made him goddamn invisible and didn't goddamn use it.

is Best Pony
    Well, maybe he found that it chafed him in sensitive areas or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    It wouldn't be very good role playing if my stealth character found a goddamn suit that made him goddamn invisible and didn't goddamn use it.
    Well, you just have to make him suicidally cocky and/or imbecilic. Voilą - role-playing problem solved!

Previously Important
    I mostly appreciate the way the dragoon armor makes it so I can see past whatever stupidly oversized weapon I'm waving around.

The weapons do come off a bit too big. The fact that you can't properly ironsight them doesn't help.

Lack of ironsights is one of the game's biggest downfalls. I guess we weren't going to see a totally hard-boiled shooter from Bethesda off the bat though