TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51566166717681869196979899100101
Results 2,501 to 2,519 of 2519

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Knows his stuff
    Friday the 13th, parts 1-3 - Somehow I'd never seen these classic horror movies before(never seen the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street series either, for that matter). First one is pretty good. I like what they do with the camera work, showing the first murders from the killer's perspective, then building suspense later on by using voyeuristic camera angles to make you think you're seeing from the killer's POV. Second movie is mostly just repetition, and the third one even more so. The third movie is like 90% suspense-building, fake outs, and kill-scenes, and 10% plot and character development. It is so effing lazy. There's another 5 or so Friday movies on Netflix but I think I've seen enough.

All Is Lost - You'd think a whole movie about a guy stuck on a boat would be super-dull, but 2 minutes in I was hooked, and on the edge of my seat till the end. This was really good!

Seen Life of Pi?

Knows his stuff
    Yup! (and read the book when we had the TTLG Book club) Loved em.

All is Lost is way more minimalist than that though. No animals, no build-up to the events. Just one guy, and barely even any narration.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Friday the 13th, parts 1-3 - Somehow I'd never seen these classic horror movies before(never seen the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street series either, for that matter). First one is pretty good. I like what they do with the camera work, showing the first murders from the killer's perspective, then building suspense later on by using voyeuristic camera angles to make you think you're seeing from the killer's POV. Second movie is mostly just repetition, and the third one even more so. The third movie is like 90% suspense-building, fake outs, and kill-scenes, and 10% plot and character development. It is so effing lazy. There's another 5 or so Friday movies on Netflix but I think I've seen enough.
    I've loved the Friday the 13th films ever since I was quite young. More so than the Nightmare on Elm Street films (of which I only like 1-3 & 6 + the Freddy's Nightmares tv show).

I quite liked the 2nd one of the Friday the 13th films. Ties into the first one nicely (other than the age jump that Jason must have had from the end of part 1 - 2).

The fourth one is my favorite of the lot. Be interesting to see what you think of it. It's the only one in all of the films where you'll actually give a shit about the people/victims.

1 - 6 are good (1-4 more so, since the series takes a different slant once Jason becomes a undead zombie from 6 onward). After that it just gets really stupid. Though Jason Goes to Hell and Freddy vs Jason are both excellent films.

Oh and the remake is awesome also. Captures much of the spirit of the earlier films. I'll admit that I got hung up on the name of it for a long time and so didn't see it, since I kept saying "how the fuck could it be called Friday the 13th if Jason's on the cover WITH the hockey mask, he's not in the original films till part 2, and he didn't get the friggin mask till part 3. They really needed to have done their checking on the films." And then I actually got around to watching it and was like "Ahhhhh, I like what you did there compacting films 1-3 into the first 30 minutes of it and then continuing off in your own direction from there." A remake done very well. Only read the spoilers above if you've watched movies 1-3 of the originals.

Jason Takes Manhattan and Jason X are just complete crap. Warnings in advance.

Oh and once your done I'd highly recommend watching "Crystal Lake Memories" which is a documentary on the entire Friday the 13th franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Friday the 13th, parts 1-3 - Somehow I'd never seen these classic horror movies before(never seen the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street series either, for that matter).
    I haven't seen much of the Friday the 13th or Halloween series and I tend to get the two mixed up, but I like the Nightmare on Elm Street movies simply due to the amount of creativity that is involved in them. Do note that Freddy's Revenge (the second movie) doesn't pay too much attention to the rules set up in the first movie, making it feel somewhat disconnected from the rest of the series.

Jason X is great.*

SPACE!!

*Actually, no, it's not.

Not sure how many of the people here are into more artsy fare, but while I thought it would have been better if a bit shorter, Berberian Sound Studio is intriguing, atmospheric and has a great performance by Toby Jones at its centre. It's about an English sound engineer who goes to Italy to work on a trashy, exploitative giallo movie, and it can well be described as Lynchian. The ending is divisive, I'd imagine, but if you're not the kind of person whose go-to criticism is that a film is pretentious, you might like this one. Nine out of ten water melons stabbed with a big-ass knife.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    I haven't seen much of the Friday the 13th or Halloween series and I tend to get the two mixed up, but I like the Nightmare on Elm Street movies simply due to the amount of creativity that is involved in them. Do note that Freddy's Revenge (the second movie) doesn't pay too much attention to the rules set up in the first movie, making it feel somewhat disconnected from the rest of the series.
    Freddy vs Jason 1UP's that, ignoring the rules setup in not only 1 movie franchise, but two. Still good, but if your a real fan of either of them you'll be bitching about various little things at certain points which conflict with similar situations in the original franchises.

Oh and Nightmare on Elm Street 2-5 tends to forget the rules setup in the 1st. Then they bring the rules back for the 6th. Very odd.

Re: All is Lost, imo JC Chandor is most definitely a director to look out for. His first, Margin Call, was pretty great too, and I've heard very good things about A Most Violent Year.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Oh and Nightmare on Elm Street 2-5 tends to forget the rules setup in the 1st. Then they bring the rules back for the 6th. Very odd.
    The second movie is still the worst in this regard, I can remember at least two kills by Freddy where the victims are not asleep. In the first movie Freddy was established as stalking and killing people in their dreams only and staying awake kept you safe.

Knows his stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I quite liked the 2nd one of the Friday the 13th films. Ties into the first one nicely (other than the age jump that Jason must have had from the end of part 1 - 2).
    Oh that's nothing compared to the growth spurt he has between 2 and 3. 3 is supposed to be set just hours after 2, but Jason has grown from a teenager(yeah it's hard to tell under that hood, but he has the size and frame of someoe in his late teens) to a towering giant of a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Berberian Sound Studio is intriguing, atmospheric and has a great performance by Toby Jones at its centre.
    Yeah, that was a pretty neat film. I'd rate it a smidgen lower than you did, but the concept and execution are really good, and as you'd imagine for a horror film about an audio engineer, it plays with sound in memorable ways.

The last film I saw was "A History of Violence" which I hadn't even realised was directed by David Cronenberg. I missed it the first time around, as nothing about the way it was marketed had really grabbed me at the time. It's very good.

Oh, don't take my "9 out of 10 x" quip seriously - it was a throwaway joke, not a score that I genuinely meant.

There Will Be Blood. And there was. Interesting case study in rage and misanthropy. Daniel isn't made to like people to begin with. But it was interesting how much his loathing of others was really self loathing. But also a healthy amount of justified righteous rage thrown in. The finale was inspired, like the ending of The Stranger (aka The Outsider) kind of inspired.

verbose douchebag
    Great film. DDL (no relation I'm guessing) put in a stellar performance.

Sorry, no relation to whom exactly?

You mean to Hugo Day-Louis? Since I just made that name up, I'm guessing no. =V

Yeah, his performance was right on. You could feel the emotion building like steam in a boiler taken to its limits. Edit. Or a derrick on the brink of gushing I should say.
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Mar 2015 at 10:29.

verbose douchebag
    I mean DDL

"I drink your milkshake!"

I have nothing further to add.

Well, not entirely true. I must admit, with the exception of Boogie Nights, I don't find many of PTA's movies particularly accessible. They're all critics' darlings, but I find them all a bit emotionally remote and hard to relate to. With TWBB, though, that's kind of the point, I guess, which is why it blew me away. Very much holds up to repeat viewings, too.

verbose douchebag
    DRAINAGE, YOU BOY. You can really feel the hate.

Page 101 of 101 FirstFirst ... 51566166717681869196979899100101