TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7576267727782879297102103104105106107
Results 2,651 to 2,669 of 2669

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by gkkiller View Post
    Ant-Man was refreshingly un-Marvel. Basically disconnected from the whole universe, except for Falcon - who, by the way, had a great scene - and the token Stan Lee cameo.
    You forgot about Tony Stark's father from the 1987 (I think) bit, which is why Pym doesn't want to involve the Avengers, and Hydra winning the bid for the Wasp suit. But yes, the story was focused on Scott Lang and him becoming Ant-Man instead of being a setup for future Marvel movies. My main complaint with it is that the 3D seemed to be set up in a way that would make viewing in on a TV a much lessened experience. While the story was almost completely predictable, the script and acting made it worthwhile.

As far as a cinematic experience goes, I'd rate it 85/100 or so. Very much worth a watch, even if you're getting tired of the Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by redface View Post
    I only watched the first two episodes of Hannibal. The script was really bad and illogical, which ruins it for me in the "real detective work" genre. Does it get better later?
    I watched the first 4 eps of season one, and while it was much better than most network shows, I couldn't bring myself to continue due to the editing - everything feels super rushed and arbitrary, like a ton of stuff has been cut out to keep the episode length down. Everything happens so quickly that it's impossible to connect to any of the characters or events happening and everything feels hamfisted, especially with regards to Hannibal himself. Is it really worth sticking it out? Do they fix this?

It never felt like that to me, so I can't really judge that. The series' storytelling is often elliptic and the series is self-consciously artsy, but rushed? Arbitrary?

If you didn't find the characters interesting enough, chances are your impression wouldn't change enough to make it worthwhile for you. For me, though, it's one of the best series of this century to date.

verbose douchebag
    Interesting. Everything felt very drawn out and tedious to me.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm not sure how it could be called 'rushed' either. 'Arbitrary' is an ambiguous term to use, one that I'd say doesn't make sense if you've only watched a third or less of a season - Hannibal loves to drop and dripfeed hints before it moves them to the fore, but move them to the fore it does. Everything has its place, even the cases of the week which serve to frame the meatier things happening in the background. I'd venture it's a matter of getting over that initial bunch of table setting episodes before the plot starts coalescing into season 1's arc.

As Thirith says, the framework is elliptical and artsy, but it knows what it's doing with the former almost all the time, and with the latter, most of the time - season 3 went overboard on slo-mo artsy framing before it reigned it in and went back to slicing bite-sized chunks off of people with surgical precision. Seasons 1 and 2 are wonderfully executed, though. And for all the visual splendour, a mention must be also be made of the soundtrack, which is a dark percussive blend of sounds that's moody and eerie at the same time. Where it really cemented its place was in the last episode of season 1, which had an unsettling, escalating cue that felt like a slow revving churn in my gut. Not the sort of thing to tap your feet to or play in the background while you're dusting the house, but just about perfect for the show.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Jul 2015 at 14:36.

Seasons 1 and 2 are wonderfully executed, though
    Stealth pun!

Hannibal is so goddamn good.

Ah the wonder that is Netflix and Amazon Prime. I pretty much gave up on TV twenty years ago so it's nice finding good stuff that I missed.

The latest discovery is fairly recent. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/ "The IT Crowd" Reminds me a bit of the full on silliness of Red Dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Ah the wonder that is Netflix and Amazon Prime. I pretty much gave up on TV twenty years ago so it's nice finding good stuff that I missed.
    If you haven't already done so, you may want to check out most of the HBO back catalogue: The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Carnivale, Six Feet Under, Generation Kill, The Pacific.

Most of the HBO stuff I've seen has been excellent. Band of Brothers and From the Earth to the Moon were both beyond outstanding.

Their standards are very high in general, but in terms of style and subject matter you may not be into all of these, and most of them are somewhat flawed, but if you can get your hands on the first seasons of some of them, you should quickly get an idea if they're up your street or not. They're all very much worth checking out.

Been watching a few classic films recently, to see what all the fuss was about 50+ years ago.

Casablanca - just as good as they say. It's just the perfect balance of everything you would want from a movie. I'm sure others have written essays about how good it is far more eloquently than I could, so I'll leave it at that. If you only know Casablanca from the ubiquitous pop culture references, you owe it to yourself to sit down and give it a watch.

Once upon a Time in the West - the "best Western" according to some. I've not seen enough Westerns to make that call, but it was a damn good film. Solid gold from the opening onward.
    "You bring a horse for me?"
    "Heh heh, looks like... looks like we're shy one horse."
    *shakes head*
    "You brought two too many."

Vertigo - not sure why this is quite so high on many Greatest Films of All Time lists. It was pretty good, for sure, an intricate and masterful tale of suspense and obsession, but it was also slow-placed and required some hefty suspension of disbelief. Still enjoyed it a lot, just wouldn't rate it as one of the best films ever.

I also had the pleasure of watching Once Upon a Time in the West recently, and it's a definite candidate for my favourite movie of all time. I liked it more than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly because it worked a lot harder with characterisation, and everyone was a lot more morally ambiguous (I didn't know who the villain was meant to be until about half way through.) Awesome stuff. Always loved how Sergio Leone can tell stories with glances.

Another great movie I saw recently was House of Games by David Mamet (writer of Glengarry Glen Ross.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJYuZ5WytbQ

Watched Casablanca for about the 5th time just yesterday, then moved on to The Big Sleep.

Ticked Chinatown off the list now too.

Really great film, but the ending... What a depressing gut punch.

Yeah, I love Sergio Leone for his close-ups of faces. They're like expressive landscapes. I prefer Once Upon a Time to The Good, the Bad and the Ugly primarily for the shootouts at the beginning and at the end - the way Leone racks up the tension is perfect.

We went to see Mr. Holmes yesterday. It's an okay film; it is well wrought, but it is also largely predictable and, even though it is about an immensely smart person who thinks for a living, the movie itself is fairly simple, expecting little in the way of thought from its audience. Laura Linney is okay, but her performance is nothing special - she is somewhat prone to using the same acting tricks in various parts, in a way that makes it difficult for me to see the character rather than the actor - and her accent is distracting.

However, McKellen's central performance is fantastic. It starts off as the kind of part he's done before, his Holmes being halfway between Gandalf and Magneto, but the more old Holmes unravels the better McKellen gets and the more the character becomes very different from the actor's iconic genre turns. I wouldn't necessarily tell people they need to see Mr. Holmes at the cinema, but it's still worth catching the film wherever just for McKellen's performance.

Ignored my better judgement and got up to date with True Detective... sigh

Furious 7 - The only thing that left me furious was the money I wasted watching this prolonged frenetic sequence of violence and ridiculous car crashes and chase scenes. Oh ... one good bit was watching Ronda Rousey getting her butt kicked by a woman twice her age and half her size. Laughable.

Finished off Season 5 of The Walking Dead this last week. The most interesting part of the 2nd half of this last season, in Alexandria ... is that when they move into a new place, we're usually wondering when the hosts are going to turn bad one way or another. But this time around, it's our own group we wonder about turning bad, and how far they go. Made it more interesting to see how conflict might develop. Of course, true to form, they're already setting up a gang of bad guys for next season anyway, now that they're settled in.

And incidentally, on my flight today I watched a movie called Foxcatcher, the true story about the du Pont patriarch in the 80s setting up a wrestling camp in his compound to train champions and the whole thing just collapsing into ... something awkward and weird. Not even sure. It's far from an action movie. It's little slights and pent up emotions. I knew something bad had to go down in the end, otherwise you're wondering where's all this going... But even aside from that, it's a crazy case study into ambition and emotion and shame and self-doubt all mixing in the worst ways. Fascinating to watch, and Steve Carrell did a great job with the awkward pent up shame-driven rage, which may be a prerequisite to being a good comedian, I guess.
    Last edited by demagogue; 3rd Aug 2015 at 16:41.

Page 107 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7576267727782879297102103104105106107