TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8586368737883889398103104105106107108
Results 2,676 to 2,693 of 2693

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation last night. I'm conflicted whether this or Ghost Protocol is better. I'm going to agree with the reviewers and say that Rebecca Ferguson was pretty great, she kept me guessing as to whose side she was really on throughout most of the film. Tom Cruise is goddamn wonderful, and despite the fact that he's apparently pretty messed up deep inside, he's always great as Hunt. Alec Baldwin is surprisingly funny, and his last scene (the second hearing) is a laugh-out-loud moment. The stunts are excellent, and the power plant scene is great, super tense and very visually cool (even in 2D!) - almost on par with the CIA infiltration from the original M:I (which is still the one defining scene that jumps to mind when someone says Mission: Impossible). The opera scene is great too, with some nice twists and action, and I have a feeling the 'Heels? Heels!' line was a jab at Jurassic World (that part shat on my suspension of disbelief). On the flipside, the villain was lame, Attlee was introduced too late and didn't have much to do, and Stickell and Brandt were criminally underused. At this point, IMF has an amazing team: Tom Cruise, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Jeremy Renner and (at times) Rebecca Ferguson, all of who are amazing actors - and yet, there are only two matchups that get focused on, namely Hunt/Ilsa and Hunt/Benji. That's a damn shame.

One thing that is left nicely ambiguous is Hunt and Ilsa's feelings towards each other. At this point, they seem to have pretty much forgotten Hunt's wife exists, and they're slowly making M:I Girls a thing*, so they could really go wherever they want with those two ... and yet the movie exercises restraint, and the extent of what we see can be categorised as friendship and trust between two wary agents in an uncertain world. Maybe Hollywood is finally learning that the hero doesn't always have to get the girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    A really awful season is about to be put out of it's misery. Any bold predictions for the finale? You were right on target last year with picking the killer.
    Just about to sit down and watch it... I have a feeling this season will sum up that sometimes you are simply a small fish in a big ocean and unless you have all your shit together, you're just going to get swept along for the ride by the tidal forces and become something's dinner if you resist the tide. I can foresee Semyon following the path of Woodrugh in putting up a good fight but it not being enough - plus they both fight against something they don't want to admit they are. Whereas I don't see that fight in Velcoro and Bezzerides and as a result they will scrape through the fray with some semblance of a life ahead of them but only after they accept that they aren't as fucked up as they've been making themselves feel. Something about life being hard either by choice or by design and you have to accept it or die. Extremely underbaked analysis for an extremely overbaked show.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 10th Aug 2015 at 07:26.

Rewatched the following movies recently:

* Let's Be Cops
    * Love Actually
    * Species

All of which were excellent.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Housebound, a very good horror comedy from New Zeeland. It's on Netflix, just watch it, people! Do it!

Also watched:

Mission Impossible, holds up quite well!

MI5 Rogue Nation, very good, but MI4 is still the series highpoint.

The Wet Hot American Summer series, great! Better than the movie, which I felt kinda dragged at the beginning.

Terminator Genisys, which was pretty enjoyable. Well, it's better than 3 or 4 at least.

Finished off Colin Bakers run of Doctor Who. What a wild run the show was going through during this period. They (The BBC) had a guy in charge who hated sci-fi with a passion and so tried to have the show run into the ground and yet the quality of the show remained top notch. If anything it was much improved over Peter Davison's run of it.

Watching all the director and cast interviews that go along with the episodes was really fascinating stuff in to what was going on behind the scenes. Have to say his companion Perry, next to Billy Piper is one of the hottest companions they've had on the show. I'd buy that for a dollar. Fake American accent and all.

Just such a shame that they had the wrong guy in charge, as they took a show that was a extremely popular show both inside the UK and especially outside on an international level (ESPECIALLY over here in Australia at the time) which at the time must have been making a bundle of $$$ for the company. Then went on TV and bagged the hell out of it, tried to remove it from television entirely, and then only due to a huge backlash worldwide had to bring the show back, all the while doing their best to ruin it purely due to them having people in charge that hated Science Fiction. Why in the hell would you put people like that in charge, when there were plenty of others they could have chosen with far better mindsets.

People in television make no sense at all to me sometimes. Similar things happened to the original series of Star Trek back in the 60s.

1 Doctor to go (Sylvester McCoy), which from memory was a pretty average run of it, of the original series of Doctor Who. Then on to the new series.

Watched a handful more all-time classic films recently to see what the fuss was about:

The Third Man - really interesting thriller; shame I already knew the twist from pop culture exposure. Really great and subtle acting, particularly from the leading lady.

Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and embrace pretentious titles - I feel like this hasn't aged well, or maybe just doesn't appeal to my sense of humour. It was ok and had some funny moments, but I wasn't blown away.

The Godfather - not sure how I reached 30 years of age without ever watching this, but man I'm glad I have now. Absolutely superb gangster film. Very easy to see why it tops so many best-films-ever lists.

Normally I'd wait till I was done with the all of the seasons of a doctor but had to quickly comment.

So I'm up to the 7th Doctor's (Sylvester McCoy) run of Doctor Who (original series) 2 episodes in, and GOD DAMN what a drop in quality. The stories are cringeworthy, nearly all of the violence in the show is completely gone, the show is very much now aimed at kids (the earlier seasons were definitely more aimed at adults) and the horror element is completely gone.

You can tell that the upper management at the BBC were desperately wanting to cancel the show (as they had a clear no sci-fi stance at the time after cancelling every single last other sci-fi show they had been making at the time) and were only making it as they were forced into it by the HUGE worldwide backlash to their earlier attempt at killing the show off. The interviews with the BBC management of the time absolutely cement that view, and of their absolute hatred of the show. Why in the hell they had people like that in charge I will never understand.

It's quite odd too, as across the seas, in the US they had only just started Star Trek the Next Generation, which was doing tremendously well, as well as several other science fiction related shows and Star Wars was immensely popular by this point in time as well. But apparently the viewpoint over at the BBC was that if it didn't have American actors and it was science fiction then it wasn't worth making. Absolutely stupid thinking. Should have fired the lot of em.

Also, the way that Colin Baker (the 6th doctor) was removed from the show was quite bad, and caused a big backlash from fans of the time. Can see why. Sylvester McCoy is a fine actor, but he's not a good Doctor. Easily the worst of the lot.

Hope my opinion changes as I watch the rest of these final 2 seasons. Damn the stories are bad though by Doctor Who standards.

Oh also, and in typical TV company style:

Question: If you want to kill a show off, but there's too much in the way of world wide fan outrage to you just cancelling it off. How do you get the show cancelled?

Answer: In true Firefly and Star Trek (final season of the original series) style - You put the show at a time slot where a big ratings winner is already on, so no`one will watch your show, thus resulting in bad ratings / low viewership, thus giving you the excuse you need to cancel the show. Voila.

Watching the interviews with the BBC management people, it was PARTICULARLY hard not to get angry watching it, as they took a show that was great, had worldwide love for it, and they turned it all to crap, all because they hated science fiction and for no other valid reason. The show had great ratings, it brought in good money, all the brittish actors of the time wanted to be in the show. It just makes no sense at all to me.
    Last edited by icemann; 23rd Aug 2015 at 03:15.

Double post since it's unrelated:

Had the pleasure of watching Jurassic Park 3 tonight. God damn, what an improvement over the second movie. Where the 2nd one was boring, had extremely fake looking dinosaurs and bad acting, this one has a pretty good plot, never gets boring and has good acting all round. CGI was definitely better in this one as well. Teia Leonie is annoying as hell, but I find her annoying in everything she's in so meh. The rest of the characters are realistic for the most part and quite likable. Sam Neil is his usual self.

All in all, quite a good movie. Sure it's not as good as the first one or Jurassic World, but it's still a good movie. Definitely worth watching unlike the second one. They made the raptors smart again (unlike the second movie where they were just generic monsters really) which was great to see.

So my recommendation would be if your ever thinking of rewatching all of the JP movies watch the first, skip the second then move onto this one. Glad I eventually watched it. I'd been expecting an awful movie (like the second one) and so had been dragging my feet on getting around to watching it.

Just saw Inside Out. Geezus fricken cripes, Pixar. That was intense. I wasn't grabbed by the trailers, but the reviews were glowing, and, y'know, Pixar. Now, I have a two-year old daughter, so I was particularly vulnerable. And I cried like a baby. I had a napkin and it got totally soaked.

Just. Wow.

I forgot to post this last week.

So ... the Fear of the Walking Dead premier. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. I like the characters for the most part, and I get that they're trying to establish normal life and it's very slow decent into hell, but they were clumsy on almost every scene dealing with the first contacts with the new world or hints of it, and the suburbia melodrama, ugh, gag, kill me now. I watch TWD to get away from that.

Here's to hoping things go more to hell soon.

My issue with slow moving zombie movies and tv shows is that from a logical stand point in my mind, I've always seen it that if something like that were to happen in real life that the military + cops would absolutely massacre the zombies (like in Shaun of The Dead) in a short time frame rather than everything going all post apocalyptic. Unless they were the fast moving kind like in 28 days later and quick to turn the slain and bitten, in which case maybe. Though even then it would be confined to an area (like in 28 days later) and not world wide.

And of course it would depend on if things were like in the walking dead where everyone is infected, so if they die they will be a zombie whether they've been bitten or not.

Recently watched The Raid and The Raid 2. If you're not squeamish about some extreme violence, these are some of the best straight-up action films I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I forgot to post this last week.

So ... the Fear of the Walking Dead premier. I have to say I wasn't all that impressed. I like the characters for the most part, and I get that they're trying to establish normal life and it's very slow decent into hell, but they were clumsy on almost every scene dealing with the first contacts with the new world or hints of it, and the suburbia melodrama, ugh, gag, kill me now. I watch TWD to get away from that.

Here's to hoping things go more to hell soon.
    Yea I was not impressed. I understand they're going for slow-start and characterization, but none of the characters actually interested me enough to care what happens to them. And definitely wish more happened.

But hey, it too TWD 3 season before it got good so giving this one time ;p

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Recently watched The Raid and The Raid 2. If you're not squeamish about some extreme violence, these are some of the best straight-up action films I have ever seen.
    I can only find dubbed versions of the first film - anyone know if it is possible to get original language plus subs version?

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    I can only find dubbed versions of the first film - anyone know if it is possible to get original language plus subs version?
    It probably depends on which language you want the subs in. English should be possible, though you may have to track down a special edition. German sounds unlikely to me, unless something has changed dramatically over the last decade or so. I'm not familiar with French, but my expectation is no. Spanish would be a likely yes.

Ah I watched em dubbed. Never bothered me much, dubs v. subs. At least, not in a film where it's all about the fight scenes!

verbose douchebag
    I can't bear dubbing. I think I managed about 10 seconds of the dubbed version before switching off.
    English is ideal for subs, since I'm English (living in France).

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    You're asking this on the internet? Obviously it's right there in the usual place along with, you know, every movie ever made.

Page 108 of 108 FirstFirst ... 8586368737883889398103104105106107108