TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I very much enjoyed It Follows, but I thought its best material came in its first half; IMO it works much better when it's mainly using an atmosphere of dread than during the showdown.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm enjoying the new series a lot. I stopped watching the original series early in season 2 tho, and I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me so I think I'm missing a lot of stuff because of that.
    How can you watch S3 without having seen the end of S2?

Go and finish of S2 ffs.

Then again, the second half of S2 is full of utter shit. I think you could almost justify just watching until Leland's death and then just watch the final episode and perhaps fill in the blanks by reading a synopsis of the other episodes.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    How can you watch S3 without having seen the end of S2?
    Because S3 is very interesting while S2 was booooooring.

But yeah, I should watch the final episode at some point.

I watched Fire Walk With Me last night tho. That was QUITE SOMETHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    My opinion of Fire Walk With Me was that the first half is terrible, but the 2nd half was great. If you watch it, ignore the parts with Kiefer Sutherland and Chris Isaaks. Go straight to the scenes in Twin Peaks, and don't look back.
    I liked the first half hour! It may even have been my favourite part of the movie.

How much of S2 did you watch? IMO you should at least watch everything up to and including episode 14 (AKA S2E7), which I'd say contains one of the best, most memorable sequences of the series by far.

Goes to show just how different we all are.

And I was going to talk about the finale for Twin Peaks and say that this really needed another episode to fully wrap everything up, and then I see that there is one more episode. So will look forward to watching that tomorrow.

Southquarter.com/fms
    That's an odd way to put it, as both episodes aired back-to-back, as essentially a 2 hour finale. And of course, being so very David Lynch, nothing was really resolved or answered. I enjoyed this season, there was a lot of weirdness and interesting storytelling, but in the end, it felt like there was too much left unanswered. It reminded me a lot of Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I think what makes the movie work better than your average uninspired horror movie is the layer of metaphor to the central threat, both in terms of the obvious STD analogy and the decision to deal with it (or not) that could break otherwise decent people.
    I didn't want to let this go without acknowledging this is spot on. The one kid who wants to accept the consequences even knowing how bad it will be is bewilderingly sad though you understand his perspective considering his reality.

STDs but also could be, you know, a kid that you're stuck with now (...from the perspective of a teenager) or guilt that doesn't go away if you go any of the not-keeping-it routes. I guess some of its cleverness is the metaphor can work at multiple levels of highschool paranoia. That said, the basic idea was going to be nightmare fuel however it was going to be packaged anyway.

The movie worked better as a blatant parable. It doesn't even really work as a supernatural horror because it's way too contrived even for the ghost world. I wanted to give up on it early on because of that, but I liked it more when I started taking it as symbolic and then just the interplay of the characters. And the nice buzz-boop soundtrack helped.

Edit: Speaking of blatant parable, I watched an Iranian movie called The White Meadows that one gradually realizes is a fantastic parable, even if you don't get every little piece ... although I think the general anti-dogma message was pretty clear. The images and play with color (or its absence) was amazing. It's basically a boatman collecting tears in this surreal world around a lake where every village has these stupendously stupid and tragic rituals that they nevertheless take very seriously, so the villagers are just as heartbroken by the necessary tragedies even as they're committing them with their own hands.

I wasn't sure what to make it of it at the start, but I liked it in the end. There's not many movies that are this openly symbolic but also don't wink through their own artifice. And to people that might think Iranian movies have to be tame, there were some bona fide shocking scenes and realizations, not in a grotesque sense, but just because this world didn't hold back any punches. And the final punchline hits pretty hard; I give the guy full credit for setting that up so well. I guess because it was set in this surreal world, the censors didn't know what to make of it either. I recommend it. It's still an art movie though, so you need to be in the mood.
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Sep 2017 at 01:58.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And I was going to talk about the finale for Twin Peaks and say that this really needed another episode to fully wrap everything up, and then I see that there is one more episode. So will look forward to watching that tomorrow.
    They have it up on Amazon Showtime. I watched it, and... yeah.

It's a very slow episode that leaves you with far more questions than answers. Don't go into it expecting any big revelations, though it leaves you with just enough to make you think you can piece it all together.

Lynch generally isn't giving you answers, though, mainly because he very rarely does puzzles (Mulholland Drive is an exception in that respect; that one can be 'solved' IMO). People interpret his brand of surrealism as puzzles, but I don't think that's what he's up to at all. He uses the surreal in order to evoke a tone and mood, he's often about how the irrational disrupts reality. Finding a key to understanding the irrational completely goes against what its purpose is.

Moderator and Priest
    Lynch can use nonsense and surrealism for the simple sake of it. If he likes the effect something has, then damn the logic, it's going in. But the ending had so many subtle callbacks to the both the original series, and the episode that came just before it, that it's practically begging to be seen as a puzzle.

Cooper's dream where he's an old man in Red Lodge back in the original run, where he's talking to the dwarf's "cousin" who isn't Laura Palmer, but looks exactly like her. That's a pretty big call forward to the final episode of the series, where Coop decides to take a woman who isn't Laura Palmer but looks exactly like her back to a home she doesn't remember living in, only to find out that the people living there had never heard of the Palmers. As they leave, Not-Laura hears her mother calling Laura's name in the final scene, causing her to scream the exact scream you heard in the previous episode after she disappears from Coop's hand while he's leading her away from her own murder 25 years in the past. The lights go out, a sudden flash, cut to black, then cue the music and the slow fade in to a recreation of the abovementioned scene in the Red Lodge, where Laura is whispering something in Coop's hear while he stares straight ahead as the credits roll.

Yeah.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    How much of S2 did you watch? IMO you should at least watch everything up to and including episode 14 (AKA S2E7), which I'd say contains one of the best, most memorable sequences of the series by far.
    Don't remember, a handful of episodes? Anyway I went back and watched the S2 finale last night. Wow Bob Wow! I might go back to the start of S2 and start watching from there after I'm done with S3.

I kinda think you'd remember episode 14. It's the one where the identity of Laura's killer is revealed and Leland kills Laura's cousin Maddie. IMO it's up there with the S2 finale. However, if you go back to S2 and start watching from there after S3, you're basically setting yourself up to watch most of the *really* bad stuff more or less last.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    That's an odd way to put it, as both episodes aired back-to-back, as essentially a 2 hour finale. And of course, being so very David Lynch, nothing was really resolved or answered. I enjoyed this season, there was a lot of weirdness and interesting storytelling, but in the end, it felt like there was too much left unanswered. It reminded me a lot of Lost.
    Lost if you really paid attention made sense by the end.

And I just watched episode 18 and I'm completely lost (no pun intended). So much left unresolved and unanswered. This needs a good 1-5 episodes more to fully explain everything. And now I doubt that'll happen. So much I don't get. The previous episode in comparison did wrap up a fair bit.

My top unresolved questions:

1. What year is Coop in. My guess is the past or far future.
    2. What in the hell is the thing that created doppleganger Coop. I get that it's that thing from the nuclear explosion episode, but what is that thing.
    3. What happened to the girl, that the insect thing hopped inside of
    4. What was the thing in the glass box from early on? Is it the thing which created the doppleganger? Kinda looked like it
    5. Did Coop change history, meaning that he's in an alternate timeline? Though the stuff at the house in the final episode goes against that theory of mine.
    6. What happened to all the main characters in Twin Peaks.
    7. Where did Diane go? What was with that note? Why was there another doppleganger of her there?
    8. What happened to that dimension sliding gas station + all the dark ghost/demon things from there? My guess is that, that place was the portal to their dark dimension.
    9. What was the end goal for Doppleganger Coop.
    Last edited by icemann; 5th Sep 2017 at 15:14.

Went to the movies tonight to see the remake of "It". I'm quite meh towards remakes and reboots these days, but this one was really good. Key plot points were the same as the 90s mini series (which considering that this is based off a book isn't that surprising), though if you were to put this movie up scene by scene to the original it all plays out quite differently despite the similar direction and eventual outcome.

The kids in this one were wayyyyyyyyy better than in the original. Pennywise I'm divided on. In the original, Tim Curry did a fantastic job creating a funny but deadly movie monster character. This time round he's done more scary and sinister, with much of the humor gone (from him). But then the kids are way more funnier. So as far as remakes go, this is one of the good ones. Is it better than the original? I dunno. Their both great in their own ways. People in the cinema I was in were screaming their heads off, but I only half jumped at one bit. The rest I could see coming from a mile away. The original never really did jump scares. More just went for that feeling of dread. This one also has a fair bit of gore in it, which the original didn't have at all.

I'd say to watch both the original and this as both are excellent in their own right.

9/10. Definitely going to see the sequel which was always going to happen.

I quite enjoyed "It" as well, more than I thought I would. The clown was indeed more sinister and the things it did more creepy somehow. The face was less funny odd and conveyed more impending menace with just a touch of off about the eyes. Jesus, the one scene with the painting woman toward the end I was not quite ready for. I'm thankful CGI was kept at a minimum but where it was used was seamless. The most well done I've seen to date. I couldn't tell if certain things were CGI or not, though I knew they must be, and that is the way to do it.

The kids and their trials were more relatable and performed in a less stiff and more natural way. They had you cheering for them which I never did for the original crew. The only light hearted moments came from their occasional snarky banter. It may have been too dark and heavy if not for the take everything in stride tone set by the main ones. You understood where their courage came from as well with the normal crap kids have to deal with woven into the plot. I'm glad they stuck with them at that age. Also it does set up the sequel doesn't it? I don't see how they will top this though. It was seriously creepy.

Well in the original, the first half was better than the 2nd half. So will be good to see how it turns out this time round.

Looking forward to seeing IT. They are playing the TV version of IT and also The Stand on cable all this and last week. I was laid up in the hospital for a few days and was thankful to watch IT again. I don't know about the rest of you, but i think Annette O’Toole is hot. Of course she’s much older now, but so am I. She was also in Cat People.

I'd not buy that for a dollar. Never found her that attractive.

Chakat sex pillow
    Cat People? The one where a policeman died by terminal corncob penetration? Man, you folks are mining the more obscure corners of my childhood viewing here.

Anyhoo, what did I watch lately. For people like me who're drawn to funny, intelligent shows that like to punch you in the gut because people are complex, complicated, and fragile things... Bojack Horseman season 4 is out.

It's not as good as the prior two seasons, no. The early hype and reviews aren't doing it favours by hyping it up as the best thing ever. Not true, don't read 'em, just see it if you're already a fan. I'd rate it as slightly above Season 1 in the scheme of things, and IMO S1 was the worst because it took so long to show its hand.

But: while a lot of the jokes don't land this time, and some of the drama feels like it's treading water, when it hit the character beats it was building to, the sting didn't fade away after a few hours like I'm used to. I still feel wrung out by some of it, but this time the kicker is it's not because of what happens to Bojack and what he does, it's about the people around him. This is not what I expected to happen, and also exactly what they were going for, I suspect. The beauty of having simplistic cartoon art with people and animals in it dealing with a complex human issue like depression is that they play off of each other so well, a normal show wouldn't be able to resonate as effectively.

Ugh. Don't watch it if you don't want to feel down for hours on end. The last show that managed a similar ratio of hijinks:kick-your-heart-into-a-dumpster-and-set-it-on-fire was Cowboy Bebop.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 11th Sep 2017 at 07:14.

Started Bojack Horseman Season 4. So far going strong, one of the best shows in recent years.

Moderator and Priest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pennywise.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	2402

OH YEAH
    'It' was awesome. The actors and the atmosphere were at their best. I didn't see the original, so can't compare the two. The relationships with parents were none the less creepy really, which is really cool. Look forward to the second part, hope it will be as good as this one. Has anyone read the novel? Is the movie made well in accordance with the book?

Page 154 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54104109114119124129134139144149150151152153154155156157158 LastLast