TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 155 of 158 FirstFirst ... 55105110115120125130135140145150151152153154155156157158 LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 3943

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Last night felt like watching a movie, so watched "The Edge of Seventeen".

Overall this movie was excellent. If you've watched movies like "Easy A" or "The Duff" and liked either of those, then this one would be right up your alley. Somewhat predictable on the overall main plot (as in, where things would end up), but the in between was great. Woody Harrelson in particular was great.

10/10

Level 10,000 achieved
    Finished Twin Peaks Season 3.

It was... Twin Peaks.

Moderator and Priest
    Finally fulfilled the promise I made at the top of this page and saw It.

I liked It. I won't call It the greatest movie ever made, but It's solid, and does the source material plenty of justice, even if It does fall just short of capturing the atmosphere of the book.

Chakat sex pillow
    Thirith, how did your time with The Leftovers go? I just wrapped up season 1, and it's a pretty dour, unremittingly bleak thing with the usual Lindelof strain of very strained plot credibility*, but some wonderful character work. The relentless down-in-the-mouthness makes it terminally unsuited to binge viewing. Season 2 seems immediately better from the out, but man, from the lighting to the camerawork to the dialogue to the expressions on people's faces, it's still a show made by downers, for downers.

*YOU UNDERSTAND, KEVIN!

I liked season 2 a lot; I think it maintains the strengths of the first season while leavening the bleakness in some ways (especially through some surreal humour) and making it more potent in others. There are some individual things that I think are problematic (yes, I use that word and I will keep using it), and one episode felt almost sadistic in its insistence to do horrible things to a certain character (and his dodgy American accent doesn't quite warrant that sort of treatment). I think my wife downright hated some of it, though.

It's still very much a series that either you're receptive for or you're not. But I think that for all its bleakness it's not nihilistic. It does find some kind of grace for its characters and it's unique in what it does. Also, Carrie Coon is so very good in it.

Haven't seen S3 yet, but I definitely will.

Chakat sex pillow
    Part of the reason I started on it was because I heard that S3 was excellent. I can't say I'm enthused about the plot and the subsequent spinning of wheels that turning a book into a 3-season show entails, but it has so many individual moments that stand out, and does them so well that the bottle episodes which centre on a single individual are unforgettable, I can forgive its lack of drive. I agree that Nora Coon is absolutely something in this show, and Matt Eccleston who plays her brother, Rev. Jamison, is also amazing for bringing wounded vulnerability and stoic determination to life. Ann Dowd rounds out the fantastic performances even though her plot arc sort of tipped into ludicrousness; I think I should queue up The Handmaid's Tale after this is done.

The Handmaid's Tale is also on my list. My wife's currently reading it; she likes to read novels before watching adaptations.

I have to say, I don't mind the ludicrousness (though it depends on what you mean by that). Emotionally, pretty much all of it rings true, and if that's the case I'll accept pretty much anything on a plot level. I think I underestimated Justin Theroux in that respect for a long time, because his character is so reactive, but in S2 I came to really appreciate him.

Just saw the 2017 version of “IT”. Good flick. Loved the book, liked the TV version, and think this new version was pretty decent. Glad it was made. Now waiting for the second part...

Halt and Catch Fire is still going strong for its (sadly) last season. This episode is the first to slip a little after 4 solid hits this season, and even a slip is still a really good episode. Not that it was bad, but it was more of an expositional set-up episode. There was some fallout that's going to pay off in the next few episodes though.

What makes the show work at this point is that the characters have had so much history, each one with each one, you could pick any two and just get them in the same room together and sparks will start flying ... especially when you add the projects they're working on -- they're replaying proto-Yahoo vs. proto-Google, and gradually realizing who's going to win that war. The tech advances are interesting to watch; the business part is interesting; the interpersonal chemistries are interesting to watch...

What was really great about this episode was the climax was figuring out a puzzle in Cam's game, basically a 1994 version of an immersive walking sim, which metaphorically fit very well into the story as well. Just the fact one of the characters is a game dev who makes immersive sims in 1994 already makes this show special for me.

Moderator and Priest
    The new Star Trek wasn't half bad. If you go into it expecting Treky style philosophy, you might be disappointed a bit, since it's downplayed for the sake of action. But for Star Trek style action, you don't get much better than this.

I'll say this much: it's a helluva lot better than the new movies, for the simple fact that it feels like Star Trek.

...even if the damn Captain goes on an away mission.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 25th Sep 2017 at 02:21.

Star Trek style action? What, chess? Fighting rubber monsters people in rubber suits?

Moderator and Priest
    To me, it felt like a decently written, jawdroppingly high budget (seriously, the effects were about on par with the recent movies, lens flares and all) episode of DS9 circa the Dominion years with a dash of modern style moral ambiguity thrown into the mix.

No people in rubber suits, though. Unfortunately.

Let's see if it passes the Zylonbane test.

DS9 always kind of felt like poor man's Babylon 5 to me, though it was still a lot better than Voyager.

I don't even know if I want to bother with Discovery anymore.

Moderator and Priest
    DS9 was my 2nd favorite Star Trek, especially in the latter half of the shows lifespan.

I'd say it's worth at least a quick try. Though you might want to wait until the next episode, which I hear is more appropriately Trekky in its approach to things.

Oh, and I like the new Klingons. Though overly dogmatic and heavily traditionalist (which is where a lot of the MODERN POLITICS come into play), they seem more like a species that would actually discover and eventually master the intricacies of FTL space travel.

Well, I prefer to watch entire seasons anyway, but after Enterprise and the reboot movies I'm not really expecting anything. With DS9, at least all the morally grey stuff made it interesting to watch, even if it didn't particularly vibe with Star Trek idealism, whereas Enterprise was IMO entirely forgettable.

To me, Star Trek was always at its best with the more cerebral episodes, like when they put Data on trial. The action stuff is not sitting well with me.
    Last edited by Starker; 25th Sep 2017 at 03:50.

Moderator and Priest
    That might be the best thing to do. While the pilot did show considerably more promise than what most of us were expecting, there are still plenty of ways they could drop the ball and royally screw things up. Since you're so doubtful, waiting for the end of the season, then deciding to watch it based on word of mouth is probably the wisest move.

Though don't even fret about the reboot movies. Other than the general look of things (and the occasional lens flare), the show practically has nothing in common with them.

Action wise, TNG had that nailed. "Best of both worlds" being the best of the lot imo.

The originals is my personal favorite of the shows, even if the final season was meh.

I started with TNG, so I have a lot of nostalgia for that series, but I liked TOS nearly as much when I watched it next. Although, at that point, I wasn't particularly picky. The Iron Curtain had come down and I watched as much western TV as possible -- Dr Who, Quartermass, The Prisoner, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Tales of the Unexpected, Tales From the Crypt, Hammer House of Horror, SeaQuest DSV, Battlestar Galactica, Quantum Leap... everything that I could get my hands on.
    Last edited by Starker; 27th Sep 2017 at 09:54.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

The good:

* Show very much has that "Trek" feel to it
    * Plot seems quite interesting
    * Music (when you hear it) is excellent
    * Exciting combat (so far)
    * Great acting

The bad:

* They fucked up the Klingon's. Yes I know the original series had them looking differently too, but after that they stuck to a distinct look from then on. Even in Enterprise. This time round they just look meh. Quite generic.
    * Needing to read subtitles all the time for Klingon's got annoying fast. Just have them speak English, then we can actually be looking at their faces. Yes I know that Klingon's don't speak English, but for the sake of being able to watch what's friggin going on.

Neutral:

* Time wise this is set around the time of the original series right? So what happened to Captain's not complying to Starfleet orders half the time? This featured in the original series and Enterprise a fair bit. Just a minor thing. As in, Kirk for example would disregard Starfleet orders on many occasions. Archer did similar. By the time of Picard that did not go on anymore.

Stuff I'm REALLY looking forward to later:

* Some episodes set in the mirror universe. Regardless of the show it's in, I have loved every last one of these (1 in TOS, 4 in DS9 and 3 in Enterprise).

Still Subjective
    It's set 10 years before the original series and moaning about subtitles is ridiculous.

Well too bad. I hated it.

I finally watched Ex Machina. I want a hot AI chick for Christmas.

From what I heard it's the same girl who is going to star in the new tomb raider film.

That's what IMDb says on their page.

Definitely her. Ex Machina is an excellent movie. Watched it twice. Entertaining on both watches.

Page 155 of 158 FirstFirst ... 55105110115120125130135140145150151152153154155156157158 LastLast