TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108113118123128133138143148153154155156157158
Results 3,926 to 3,948 of 3948

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Blade Runner 2049. Didn’t particularly like it, sadly, in spite of loving the original. It’s one handsome fucker of a movie, though.
    Curious, what didn't you like about it? Most folks here seem to have given it the proverbial thumbs up.

Good series

Quote Originally Posted by scarykitties View Post
    What about Stargate? It looked pretty good, had some interesting plots, etc.

Not saying it's better, but I haven't seen it mentioned (not that I looked too hard, though).
    I really liked that TV series they also had a spin off called Stargate Atlantis which was also good. Cheers and happy weekend!

Stargate Atlantis was excellent.

SG1 was good up to when O'Neil stepped down.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've been watching catching up on some quality stuff.

Get Out - I kinda expected the grandfather's defeat in the Olympic boxing match to turn out to be the catalyst for why this family had turned out as they had, but it was never revisited. Also, the groundskeeper, was that the same grandpa that lost the boxing match? Anyway, it's a good, unconventional thriller. Definitely leaves you thinking about a few things.

Wonder Woman - Best superhero movie of the year! (tho I haven't seen Homecoming, or Logan, or the new Thor) Fascinating to see just how much more tight and focused the storytelling was than in Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad. Feels like the work of a single director rather than a ton of focus groups and execs giving notes. Good story and pacing, great actionscenes. I wasn't too impressed with Gal in the Fast & Furious movies, but here she delivers a great performance.

True Detective, Season 1 - Watched the final 2 episodes last night and then had trouble sleeping. Amazing performances, absolutely terrifying story. Just brilliant.

I kinda expected the grandfather's defeat in the Olympic boxing match to turn out to be the catalyst for why this family had turned out as they had, but it was never revisited. Also, the groundskeeper, was that the same grandpa that lost the boxing match?
    It was running, not boxing. To answer your questions, the grandfather's Olympic defeat was definitely the catalyst that put him on track to invent the tech embodying white people in black bodies, so they could be winning more often. I wouldn't say it wasn't revisited since it seemed like the entire central punchline of the movie.

But that might have to do with your second question. Yes, the grandfather is embodying the groundskeeper specifically so he can run quickly around the grounds. That was his entire life mission since the Olympic loss, and after that, to give the gift to other rich whites. The grandmother is also embodying the maid if you didn't catch that. There's some quotes at the end where the granddaughter calls them grandma and grandpa.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ooooh, ok, that clears things up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I've been watching catching up on some quality stuff.
    True Detective, Season 1 - Watched the final 2 episodes last night and then had trouble sleeping. Amazing performances, absolutely terrifying story. Just brilliant.
    Let us know what you think about season 2.... It has had a fairly rough welcome by critics (I guess it had a lot to live up to), I for one really like it and I have this opinion that the reason why people don't, is that the themes, crimes etc. of the second season are more difficult to relate to - I'm curious to hear what others think.

One thing I like a lot about True Detective is how they really present well known actors in somewhat non-typecast roles and makes you, or at least me, see them in a new light...
    Just wait until you see Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn in S2... Great stuff
    Last edited by Tommyph1208; 6th Nov 2017 at 07:48.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hmm, I wasn't really planning on watching S2, mainly because of the not-so-great word-of-mouth. Anyway I think Westworld is next on my gritty-drama list. Might get around to True Detective S2 eventually.

Southquarter.com/fms
    You won't hear much "great stuff" talk about season 2 of TD. It was truly awful. The dialogue was the worst part, but the acting and story were close behind. You couldn't have more polar opposite seasons of TV than 1 and 2 of True Detective.

I can honestly say it's so bad, it's not even worth giving a shot. But even if you decide to take the plunge, it won't take long for you to realize how terrible it is. There's a reason we haven't seen a season 3 yet, 2 1/2 years later.

Edit: Looks like Season 3 has been announced, and will star Mahershala Ali. No premiere date yet though.
    Last edited by Brethren; 6th Nov 2017 at 14:00.

Tonight had the displeasure of viewing "Bad Moms 2" at the cinema. I got the distinct impression whilst watching through it, that they'd forgotten exactly what was so great about the original. The first was a chick flick that guys would enjoy nearly equally as much. This one in comparison is just straight up chick flick that's quite cheesy, predictable, and lacks any of the magic of the first. It felt like one of Adam Sandler's comedy movies (in some ways) after his movies started to go bad. I nearly fell asleep a few times. It also focuses far too much on the side characters and not enough on main 3.

Avoid like the plague.

2/10

Administrator
    I was suddenly in the mood for watching something yesterday evening.

I watched a bit of the third season of Mr. Robot, but found my interest had waned.

I moved on to watching the third season of Transparent, which seems on a completely different tack to most of the stuff mentioned in here. I think I've got a bit weary of plot driven stuff from the US and want to go for something which is more character based. I guess the LGBT themes might put some people off but the characters feel like real flawed humans rather than stereotypes.

Drama driven shows can suffer from having flat characters that just serve a story, or ones that are extreme to produce a reaction.

And just finished off season 2 of Stranger Things. Excellent, excellent season that's not as good as the first and has more of a longer lead up, but still comes out well. Great acting, good character development, great plot. Loved it.

Just finished the second season of "Ash verses the Evil Dead" and it was a laugh riot gore fest like the first. I love Ash and recognize some of my worst traits in him. They must use a 55 gallon drum of blood per episode. I asked Ted Raimi if they still used Karo syrup but he said it tasted like crap now so it isn't the same formula. Dana DeLorenzo said they use different formulas for different scenes but none of them tastes like the old Karo formula. I met them at Walker Stalker Atlanta. Also shared an elevator with Raimi but mostly respected his privacy then. He was so squirrelly that I finally figured he wasn't supposed to be coming down from that level of the Omni or something. I swear it was like he was trying to be incognito for a tryst or something but hey whatever. Anyway if you follow the show you know they are covered in it most of the time and if you are a kinky bastard like me then you know Karo is uncomfortable to wear for long. Sticky as hell until it is fully licked off.

The panel I wish had been filmed so I could show you my conversation with them but I've been unable to find any footage so I guess nobody was manning the camera. It was cool to talk with them though and I had a million questions left that I didn't bother them with. I think I liked Lee Majors humor best and when I had my picture made with him we shared a laugh over his action figure (Six Million Dollar Man!) not a doll (which I still have) but an action figure! Still pretty stout for a 75 year old too. He bitched about Bruce like an old dad bitching about his son (which he is on the show).

Anyway Ray Santiago mentioned there is some question whether Starz is going to pick up the show for a fourth season. The third is airing late so that makes me nervous. How in hell could they not continue this? It's great! Where else could you see Bruce with his head up a corpse ass or being forced to suck the tit of a demon squirting puss from it's nipples? Mygod what the hell is wrong with folks for not wanting to see this? This is ground breaking horror. It would be a damn shame to lose it and I encourage all of you to watch. Maybe not during dinner but after you put the kids to bed. I love these guys.

Moderator and Priest
    Wait. You actually met Dana DeLorenzo and Ted Raimi?

You pink fuck!

Yeah. Anybody brave enough can talk to them at Walker Stalker. They are just waiting for someone to be as interested in their stuff as they are and I am. I guess most aren't as aggressively personable as I am though. It does make your heart beat faster to choke down the adulation enough to just treat them like an average peckerhead. I swear I had a moment where I had to purposely talk my heart out of cardiac arrhythmia. I even got Bruce to be a smartass to me like he does with most fans. He called me wrongway Corrigan for turning the wrong way to exit his area (all the rest exited the other way) and I started to say "you know corrigan didn't actually go the wrong way" and he cut me off with "yeah yeah but you did smartass". He was wearing his trademark Hawaiian shirt and I almost wore one of mine that morning. Would have made a better picture.

Also met and talked to many of the Walking Dead stars. I love Melissa McBrides character so much on the show but she is so shy for a star and I think she has some phobia about over zealous fans that I kept it low key. You just kind of go by what they exhibit as to what you say and do. Sweet and gracious though. Norman Reedus looked so stoned but he didn't climb into the rafters and knock down the smoke detectors like he did the year before. I think folks wore him out wanting pics with him. I just kept it to thanks for staying so late for us and we really appreciate it. I feel like I missed out on so much I wanted to say to them like "dude I rode your old bike on the show even though I had to break the rules to sit on it" and lots of other gushing stupid crap.
    Last edited by Tocky; 12th Nov 2017 at 01:26.

Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    I watched a bit of the third season of Mr. Robot, but found my interest had waned.
    same here, just didn't click with me.

I've been going through a few shows:

Halt and Catch Fire - good show overall, but some ups and downs. Still find the first season best (tho most people I talk to find the opposite)

Mindhunter - pretty interesting psychological drama. Two FBI agents in the 60s-80s (?) go around interviewing serial killers trying to understand them and create a profile, as their research is dismissed by everyone around them.

Archer - just got back into it and on Season 7 now. It's a good turn-your-brain-off show. Not as great as others I'm devoted to, but a nice to unwind after a long day.

Haters Back Off - only saw the first episode and absolutely hate it. Each character is basically a caricature to the point of disgust (the scene in first episode where the protagonist eats ice cream just was not pleasant to watch ugh). The only redeeming character is the "sane" daughter, and only half because she's hot :|

Blade Runner 2049. Ok here's my take. The hype was that it'd look great, and on that it didn't disappoint. Great art direction all the way through. I went in thinking it'd be like Oblivion, looks great, really polished, straightforward story with a few not-too-unexpected twists, not a classic, but still fun. While it sort of checks those boxes, it wasn't exactly like that. There are different things I could point to, but one idea sort of sums it up.

Both the original Blade Runner and this one have slow meandering sequences that drag. There's a major difference though. In the original BR, the aesthetic was ultimately minimalist. Those scenes built up an atmosphere and held on it. And when a character goes off on a soliloquy, it has a kind of awkwardness or total sincerity to it ... think of the Sebastian guy or Roy Batty's famous last speech. He wasn't just talking to hear himself speak; he really believed and lived what he was saying.

In BR2049, those kinds of scenes are the opposite of minimalist. They're self-indulgent. They indulge in artistic scenes like they were money shots. But worst of all is when a character goes off on some rant, you probably know the ones I'm talking about, it's completely self-indulgent, not just the character, but the movie holding on it and letting them go on, just to lean in and him say such shocking things. Meh. (Not to even get to the fact any scene involving Harrison Ford since at least halfway through the last decade has been self-indulgent virtually by definition.)

That ended up setting a dominant tone through the whole movie, so is the main reason that kept me from liking it like I liked Oblivion (not to mention the original BR). Take away or tone down some of those things and I liked things better.

The story was good enough, with the right amount of twists. It did play with the idea of humanness, which in theory I really like. And to its credit, the movie had some legit humor that (more or less) worked, but it didn't shy from some dark or melancholic scenes. Ryan Gosling played his character excellently; no complaints there. I guess the brooding black overcoat look has been away for long enough to start making a comeback, since the days when Warren Spector said he was happy to finally make a game without one as a lead. Alright, I guess this is enough to sum up my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Curious, what didn't you like about it? Most folks here seem to have given it the proverbial thumbs up.
    I'm sorry, I only saw this now. Mainly it's that the original thrives on ambiguity while the sequel removes a lot of it, at least with respect to the characters. It's pretty clear on who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. Especially Niander Wallace is just ridiculously evil, with little to no nuance, and the same is IMO true for his henchwoman Luv in the end. (I've written up my thoughts on the film in more detail here.)

I don't feel at home in this world anymore. Really dark, funny, really stupid, sad, good-natured in the end. It's like an Ethan Bros tragicomedy, basically a Blood Simple remix, that's both darker and dumber at the same time.
    I liked it.

This week I watched a couple of Marvel movies to catch up with the Avengers universe:

* Doctor Strange - Better than I expected. Excellent action scenes. The only criticism that I'd give toward it is that Strange goes from no powers at all -> Master, super fast. If they'd done that at a more gradual rate (eg like with Neo in the Matrix) then that would have made the movie a bit better. Beyond that, an excellent movie. 8/10

* Spiderman - Homecoming - Pretty good movie. I still like the Tobey Maguire version best (movies 1-2), but this was excellent as well, and FAR superior to the boring Andrew Garfield movies. Great action scenes and plot + great ties in with the overall Avengers universe. 9/10.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Poseidon - Buncha people get stuck on a big boat that flips upside down. Oh no, how are they gonna get out? Miraculously, they find a way! This was a big, dumb, fun disaster spectacle starring Kurt Russel, a bunch of people I don't know, and Richard Dreyfuss. It's a real "Slice of Dreyf", you might say. THUMBS UP

The Punisher - 3 episodes in. So far, so good.

Logan - so good and so bleak. Great acting by Jackman and Stewart. That ending was perfect.

Watched a few minutes of Pacific Heat. I didn't get far, but it feels like a cheap Archer rip-off with worse art and everyone talking insanely fast over each other, to the point where I can't understand half the dialogue.

Pass...

I'm about 4 episodes into Electric Dreams now.

Episodes 1-2 - Excellent.
    Episodes 3-4 - Odd

Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108113118123128133138143148153154155156157158