TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120125130135140145150155160165166167168169170
Results 4,226 to 4,248 of 4248

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Just got back from watching Deadpool 2. From all the ads on TV, Youtube and elsewhere + internet reviews I had my expectations pretty high for this one. Well the reviews were wrong in saying that this is as good as the first one. Far from it really. This movie shares one thing that Fallout 4 had, where the promos were better than the final product itself (Fallout 4's S.P.E.C.I.A.L cartoon videos were better than the game).

Has some good laughs at times, but not as frequent as in the first one + far less 4th wall breaking jokes (though they are certainly present). I was very disappointed in it by the end.

6/10

P.S Be sure to stay behind for the credits. One particular scene there is better than the entire movie. Note that I'm not saying that this was a bad movie in any shape or form. Was quite good. But comparing this to the first one, it was no where close to as good as that was.

Still Subjective
    Agree iceman.

Deadpool 2/5

A real letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Give me the 90s seasons of the show any day. Plus Kimberley (pink ranger) was hot.
    Isn't ALL of it available on Netflix?
    Last edited by Tommyph1208; 24th May 2018 at 03:22.

Does not change the awesomeness of the 90s seasons.

Good episide if Westworld this week. Very action packed and whatever respect I had left for Dolores is gone. She needs to die.

To complain about being programmed for the service of humans then to reprogram her own people to serve her to her warped viewpoint. Her logic is flawed.

Still Subjective
    She a robot dude, a robot operating on another level.

Well the reviews were wrong in saying that this is as good as the first one.
    I went to see it this morning and I found it surprisingly boring, actually. It had a few really high points on par with the first one, but half the movie has to be totally pointless CGI superhero combat that could have been from any other superhero movie, with characters you never really invest in (Cable's backstory was pretty neat though). I almost fell asleep during the jail sequence.

Also, just saying the names of things from the 80's isn't the same thing as making a joke. I just rewatched the first one, and while there are some references they're pretty much entirely in the context of actual jokes. And there are fewer of them. You have a character who is literally insane and the best thing you can do is name stuff from the 80's and make fun of dubstep. And the actual jokes were basically just references to the first movie (the Crocs, the baby legs, the cure for blindness, etc etc). The best part of the movie was probably the post-credits scene. The X-Force thing was funny but it was pretty obvious what was going to happen during the recruiting scene.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    She a robot dude, a robot operating on another level.
    So is Maeve though. And she is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more interesting, and more someone you can see where she's coming from. Dolores though has a nearly ISIS like "You either 100% be of the same opinion as me", or you need to die / get brainwashed into being of same mind. I find that to be quite flawed. She even turns on those who side with her, if they don't 100% go with things to the letter that she wants. No different points of view allowed. Nope.

Jason: 100% agree. I found my mind wandering off a fair bit after 1/4 into it. Start was fine. But after that, things just got a bit routine and boring often.

Still Subjective
    The best part of the movie was probably the post-credits scene.
    I left well before.

Need a recommendation:

What's a good film to stream as background noise while I study today? I'm looking for something that's humorous but not so intelligent that I'll actually lose anything by not paying close attention.

MUST be something I can get to on a Netflix or Hulu.

Why not listen to music? Be FAR less distracting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Isle of Dogs. It was good! Though I don't think I liked it as much as Anderson's 2 previous movies, Grand Budapest Hotel and Moonrise Kingdom.

Chakat sex pillow
    I only heard about Ghost Stories ADV a few days ago, which is an anime show that did so badly in Japan* that they gave the English voice cast free reign to write and dub their own version of the story on to it. And oh my god, they had a ball.

I'm laughing so hard I'm still wiping away the tears from watching the first episode.

*Apparently. Hearsay and all that, possibly easily discredited by actual stats. Good story though.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 30th May 2018 at 03:39.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Haha, wow, yeah, that looks pretty crazy.

I have watched:

Chronicle - I didn't think it was very good. Sorry Sulphur! You liked this didn't you?

Ibiza - I came for the Gillian Jacobs, I stayed for the Vanessa Bayer. This was fun. This is one of those movies that take place over a short span of time(a couple days, in this case) that you can really immerse yourself in. Robb Stark from Game of Thrones is in this too!

Blazing Saddles - I just watched like the first half hour of this. I saw it when I was a teenager as well, didn't like it. Figured I'd probably enjoy it more now, but nope. I don't know, I seem to have a cut-off point with comedy around the early 80's. I still enjoy Monty Python's Flying Circus, but besides that there's very little comedy from before 1980 that I enjoy. Is it just me? Or was there some dramatic shift in comedic sensibilities around then?

Lupin III - Man I've been wanting to watch this since I saw a trailer for it on my Ghost in the Shell VHS casette 20 years ago. Glad I finally got around to it. It's a wild ride.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Haha, wow, yeah, that looks pretty crazy.

Chronicle - I didn't think it was very good. Sorry Sulphur! You liked this didn't you?
    Oh, it's a very qualified like. I can see why it wouldn't work for you, and I'd probably agree with your reasons too. I appreciated Chronicle for the thought experiment of, 'what would happen if you gave a group of mostly normal school bros telekinesis?' and ran with it in a fashion that wasn't completely crass teenage humour like, well, Zapped!. (I saw that when I was 7 or 8. I remember liking it too, much to my current-day chagrin. My 9-year old self didn't like the sequel though!) I really liked the cloud scenes, and the realism of how it ended. Everything else was probably a bit momentum-sapping.

As for Ghost Stories, I can see myself getting tired of it quick, but the first few episodes already have a toilet ghost that gives you a choice of red or blue toilet paper, a possessed backtalking cat, zingers involving Gloria Steinem, an ex-junkie evangelical godbothering busybody, and then there are the tasteless stereotypes up the wazoo. In other words, it's awesome.

I should get around to watching Lupin III one day if I can get past its old, washed-out manga art style. Castle of Cagliostro, right? It's Hayao Miyazaki so I shouldn't have a problem with it, yet I do. Gah.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 5th Jun 2018 at 13:23.

I recall quite liking Chronicle. Puts a unique spin on the found footage formula, as for once it's a found footage style movie that's not a horror movie.

I'm now up to the 7th episode for season 2 of Westworld which continues to do good things + pull some surprises. A few of the time/story arcs have come together, so it's all starting to make more sense.

Moderator and Priest
    Does not change the awesomeness of the 90s seasons.

Good episide if Westworld this week. Very action packed and whatever respect I had left for Dolores is gone. She needs to die.

To complain about being programmed for the service of humans then to reprogram her own people to serve her to her warped viewpoint. Her logic is flawed.
    I just binged through 7 episodes of Westworld over the last few days.

I agree. Dolores' actions don't exactly portray her as being a superior example of post-humanism. I can understand that a willingness to engage in violence would be a necessity, considering that any evolved being destined to displace us as the dominant species would have to be able to beat us at our own game, but there's a way to do that without being as outright cruel and capricious as we are. She willingly and happily sacrifices and abuses hoards of hosts, her own kind, to further her own goals, deeming all of them either unworthy of standing at her side, or tools to be used for her own dogmatic goals. Regardless of her alleged noble intents, she's shown herself as being just as bloodthirsty, cruel, and self-centered the very people she intends to destroy. She's a hypocrite.

If anyone's showing themselves to be a better human than the vast majority of humanity, it's Maeve.

Completely agree.

Downsizing
    Sets out spectacularly with the scientific discovery of the ability to downsize organic lifeforms and how this will save the human race from extinction due to also minimizing human consumption of resources.
    But then it turns into a completely different film about Matt Damon finding himself after his wife leaves him, getting involved w. helping others and ultimately finding love again... Not at all what I got from the trailer.

A lot of things are left technically unexplained in the movie.. Basically every thing in the world of the small is the same... just... smaller... You would think that it would be hard to manufacture TV sets, video cameras, nice interior decorations, etc. etc. at such a small scale without getting that dollhouse feel, but no... a few minutes into miniature land and you basically forget that everything is small because it all just looks the same, I think thats a shame....
    Sure there are fun gimmicks like over sized wedding rings, a giant rose and equally large bottles of WD40 and Absolute Vodka... but they are scarse. Also, when people get that small you would think that you would have to be super careful around them, similar to say, the rules and regulations around a construction site where there is a risk of getting squashed by giant things or falling really far... but no not really.
    The movie does try to make some points about social stratification, immigration etc. and again... It really wasn't what I was expecting from a film about miniature people...

Saw Valerian.

It was great. Not particularly deep but a good flick.

1) It's better than the other films it's most recently weighted against, the Disney Star Wars films, for a lot of reasons. It's better if for no other reason that the characters in this movie have more personality than a cardboard cutout. But since I'm not limited to one reason: the plot actually made some kind of sense without massive gaping holes. the movie's timeline doesn't have any arbitrary "status quo" items that make no sense in the context of the setting The locations all seem to have had a story behind them (unlike "Hey, here's this cool gambling planet!"). Also Valerian is a better male lead than anything Star Wars has given us since Harrison Ford's Han and well....Rey isn't even in the same universe as Sergeant Laureline. The Art design is actually creative and not iterative blandness.

2) I almost passed on this movie because of how mediocre the reviews are. After comparing this movie with ones the critics swooned over I think that critics are collectively idiots.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 10th Jun 2018 at 02:01.

Saw John Wick: Chapter 2 and agree with henke and Malf. It’s still enjoyably staged action, but I very much prefer the leaner first film. Some of the sequel's expanding of the world is fun, but for me this is a world that’s better off hinted at than outright explored, because there’s a risk for it all to begin feeling deeply silly. The film doesn’t take itself too seriously, but neither is it tongue-in-cheek enough to quite pull it off IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Saw John Wick: Chapter 2 and agree with henke and Malf. It’s still enjoyably staged action, but I very much prefer the leaner first film. Some of the sequel's expanding of the world is fun, but for me this is a world that’s better off hinted at than outright explored, because there’s a risk for it all to begin feeling deeply silly. The film doesn’t take itself too seriously, but neither is it tongue-in-cheek enough to quite pull it off IMO.
    That's kinda how I felt too. The "world building" just felt extremely silly because all of the plot hubbub about "underworld" rules felt like contrivances to force the plot along and set up for a sequel that promises an even higher body count.

My take is that if you're going to do world building it should at least make some kind of sense. The first movie worked precisely because it didn't have pretentions of being anything grander than it was.

Episode 8 watched for Westworld. That is by far the best episode that I've watched for this show. Well besides the big reveal episode of season 1. But if you were to watch only 1 singular episode of this show, I'd say to watch this one. Excellent stuff.

Felt like a movie last night, so sat back and watched "Three Billboards". Excellent movie. Great acting across the board, though it loses its way a bit toward the end and gets more predictable.

8/10

Page 170 of 170 FirstFirst ... 70120125130135140145150155160165166167168169170