TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 404550556065707580858687888990
Results 2,226 to 2,244 of 2244

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I've been reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island as bedtime story for my wife lately, after we got through that dreadful Harry Potter.
    And now I see there's a series called Black Sails, which serves as a prequel to that book, describing the adventures of Captain Flint. This looks very promising. Does anyone know it? Is it as good as the idea of some old school pirate adventures sounds to me?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Guardians of the Galaxy.

Bonkers. When someone said its a bit like Star Wars they weren't wrong. In that the setting is totally not earth, unlike all the other Marvel stuff we've had.

I really enjoyed it. Looked great, lots of laughs but didn't try too hard, and was just great fun. 4/5, will watch sequel.
    Saw that the other night, based off(as is usually the case when I go to the theatre) word of mouth.

Was not dissapointed. The movie manages to be a spectacularly easy-going flick. Good humor, entertaining characters, and just enough serious to prevent it from crossing that thin line from "stupidly fun" into just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'd recommend Boyhood to everyone here, I thought it was really well done (and acted), and more than just the gimmick it might appear to be.
    I am SO psyched for that.

Knows his stuff
    Election - movie about the triads in Hong Kong electing a new leader. The guy who ends up not getting the postition does not take it on the chin and pretty soon the triad is tearing itself in two with internal conflicts. Good movie. Got some really interesting characters, some cool twists. Only one proper action scene, but it's pretty badass.

Election 2 - not as good as the first one. Story is kinda muddled so some of it is hard to follow.

In honor of Robin Williams I watched 2 of his movies last week. One I'd seen before, the other I'd been meaning to watch for quite some time:

* Jumanji - Had seen this before. Aged quite well besides some of the CGI.

* One Hour Photo - Hadn't seen this before. I went into it expecting Robin William's character to be a psycho killer and instead he turned out to be a super lonely messed up person, who I ended up feeling really sorry for. If anything he went down his more darker path in the last quarter of the movie with the best of intentions (to scare the husband into being faithful to his wife, or that's how I read it). He just went about it in a really messed up kinda way (which in itself was due to how he himself was raised by his own messed up father). A character you just end up feeling a whole heap of sympathy for. A very different sort of movie to what I was expecting. I was left wondering what happened afterward at the end of the movie. They probably put him in a asylum.

Deadwood was one of those shows, up there with Firefly and some others, that made me paranoid no matter how good a show may be, it may not get the proper ending it deserves. But in today's news I read rumblings of a Deadwood revival.

It certainly ended before its time, so it could be nice. On the other hand I think about something like the Arrested Development revival which, TBH, I thought was awkward and disorienting. If there's too much pause between seasons, the actors may just grow out of their character. So I hope that doesn't happen.

I ploughed through Orphan Black recently since people often reference it. Mostly what non-fans say is true; the central performances are quite remarkable (ie all by one person for four or five regular characters plus a few others). But it is one of 'those' shows. One that piles on the action and the drama, with plot point after plot point and reversal after reversal. Sex! Violence! STUFF IN YOUR FACE. A lot of recent shows are structured like this; 24, Alias, most youth oriented TV dramas from Sy-Fi and the CW, Lost to some extent. Hell, Dr Who very guilty in recent times. It's almost a busy-ness that disguises the fact that not much is really going on, nor particularly well understood and it usually trips up such shows eventually. It's kind of the opposite of something like True Detective or Breaking Bad, which does a lot with not very much going on sometimes.

OB is better than most of those sorts of Busy shows though, in terms of relative consistency and coherence (relative), and is completely aware that this style detaches the audience a little bit and makes it hard to take things too seriously. So the show doesn't and has a very liberal sprinkling of black humour and outright comedy.

It's true though: if it wasn't for Maslany's numerous performances, I doubt it would work. Which is saying quite a lot. Some shows seem to be flat out getting five young actresses that good to fill out a roster (Joss Whedon among them). Orphan Black has one. (although I thought Tony was a bridge too far)
    And the plotting inevitably gets weird, with things getting flipped enough that the general mistrust of the various factions seems to be driving things more than any real maliciousness. Or any comprehensible reason at all for that matter. The wheels within wheels and circles within circles rearranging themselves gets a bit kind of strange (and inevitable reversals piling up does things like people being apparently fine and forgiving with established unpredictable psychotic murderers, who are themselves surprisingly forgiving of having people willfully and sincerely kill them (viewers will know what I mean here), becauseeeeeeaaaaah more STUFF needed to happen and the story is more fun with this person in it).
    But I'm still curious about where they're going with all this. It's not like many of those other shows where they are clearly just making it up as they go along. This is more like a reasonable long form narrative was written and then convoluted a whole lot to keep things "interesting".

So it's worth a try if you like a bit of pulp sci-fi. Just don't go in saying "I only watch Event Television/HBO! Amuse me!". A more casual approach will serve you well.

I finished of Lost last week finally, and I liked watching it, but it was particularly egregious about being busy without much going on. Pretty much it's entire MO was having weird stuff go down for no good reason, somebody gets killed or maimed, buried or stitched up, rinse and repeat.

Last night I watched a 2-part show The Devil's Whore about a bit player in the English Civil War. Sometimes I take screenshots of movies when I see a visually interesting scene, and for this one practically every scene was visually interesting. So I started spamming the screenshots, which made me pay attention to the visuals all the more consciously. (The last time I did it that much was for Skyrim.)

It's interesting history by itself, especially if you want an insight into the thinking of early American emigres. It was dramatized very well. Not just busy fluff like above. Anyway it had good characters to work with. The protagonist devil's whore got her hands into almost everything going on in the period, and a lot of characters were just cool. Oliver Cromwell was made to be a quite the charismatic asshole (unless you're catholic or Irish; then he's just an asshole).

But mostly I just liked how it was visually constructed.

Lawnmower Man 2 is so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    after we got through that dreadful Harry Potter.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Deadwood was one of those shows, up there with Firefly and some others, that made me paranoid no matter how good a show may be, it may not get the proper ending it deserves. But in today's news I read rumblings of a Deadwood revival.

It certainly ended before its time, so it could be nice. On the other hand I think about something like the Arrested Development revival which, TBH, I thought was awkward and disorienting. If there's too much pause between seasons, the actors may just grow out of their character. So I hope that doesn't happen.
    I think Deadwood is in serious competition as my favourite show ever. This is news which has me feeling ambivalent however, for just the reasons you state.

Perhaps I should give Deadwood a go. I'm not drawn to Westerns particularly though I was dragged up on and loved things like Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, etc. I need something to get involved in - I actually watched X Factor on catchup tv on Sunday.

Just started watching Dexter. Man, that is one dark show.

Do yourself a favour and stop after season 4. It's all downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Seconded.

verbose douchebag
    Thirded. I even think that Season 3 is pretty poor, 4 is pretty good though.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Perhaps I should give Deadwood a go. I'm not drawn to Westerns particularly though I was dragged up on and loved things like Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, etc. I need something to get involved in - I actually watched X Factor on catchup tv on Sunday.
    I also do not like Westerns and didn't go in to it expecting to enjoy it. Al Swearingen and his retinue are just seriously a big ball of amazing characters.

I've now watched the pilot and will carry on with it for a while. I'm interested so far. I don't think I've seen Ian McShane in anything much since Lovejoy so it's nice to see him. And I like Molly Parker.

Interesting. That's exactly when I stopped watching. Sounds like I made the right choice.

As for me, I just watched the The Century of the Self i BBC documentary about the development of psychology and how marketing and politics exploited the knowledge. Pretty interesting, albeit clearly anti-Freud biased.

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 404550556065707580858687888990