TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 424752576267727782878889909192
Results 2,276 to 2,287 of 2287

Thread: What have you watched lately?

  1. #2276
    So the lady finally trapped me into watching Frozen, and I was unimpressed.



    It still advocates the sexist idea that a girl should base her self-worth on finding a man, despite it's nods towards the more progressive enlightened era we live it still doesn't mitigate the flaw in the core ideology.


    Would not recommend. You don't want your kids being indoctrinated with those ideas.

  2. #2277
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    What's this? Is Tony being a feminist right now?

  3. #2278
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    It still advocates the sexist idea that a girl should base her self-worth on finding a man, despite it's nods towards the more progressive enlightened era we live it still doesn't mitigate the flaw in the core ideology.
    I don't know what version of Frozen you watched, but the one I saw absolutely did not do this, and pointed out multiple times that Anna's "true love" obsession (and by extension the traditional Disney Fairy Tale Princess relationship arc) was crazy and more than a little unhealthy.

  4. #2279
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I don't know what version of Frozen you watched, but the one I saw absolutely did not do this, and pointed out multiple times that Anna's "true love" obsession (and by extension the traditional Disney Fairy Tale Princess relationship arc) was crazy and more than a little unhealthy.
    The lack of a "ride off into the sunset" doesn't negate that. Anna's personal issues are still resolved through the development a health(ier) relationship with a different man.

  5. #2280
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    No, Anna's personal issues are resolved by saving Elsa, and the two of them finally having an honest conversation with each other.

  6. #2281
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Location: On the tip of your tongue.
    Yeah, the relationship with the guy who wasn't a complete asshole was clearly a secondary sub plot. So... the only acceptable stories for little girls are ones involving no men or relationships at all? Gimme a break.

  7. #2282
    Administrator
    Registered: Sep 2001
    Location: above the clouds
    nicked - To be fair to Tony, he didn't actually say that. He is only objecting to the "finding a man" plot thread. Whether or not this is the case with Frozen (I've not watched it) I don't know.

    I recall that Tangled was ok despite the cheesiness. At least initially the girl had no idea she was interested in the man...

    Recently I had got a bit fed up with male-focused stories and looked for some strong female leads in film or TV. It isn't that easy. I get fed up with the "man saving woman" routine.

    I've been watching Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex and it is interesting that the commander of Section 9 is a female. I suppose the element of her being a cyborg raises the question of what gender actually means. I know it's anime but the content puts it in the same category as most serious action TV.

  8. #2283
    Knows his stuff
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    What's this? Is Tony being a feminist right now?
    I think he's trying to take down the system from within, by showing up everywhere spouting the most extreme feminist stuff he can think off. Then in a week he'll be like "Seee? I told you guys feminists were the worst!"

  9. #2284
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2008
    It's the femtrails, man. They get everyone in the end.

  10. #2285
    Member
    Registered: Mar 1999
    Location: I can't find myself
    Quote Originally Posted by scumble View Post
    nicked - To be fair to Tony, he didn't actually say that. He is only objecting to the "finding a man" plot thread. Whether or not this is the case with Frozen (I've not watched it) I don't know.
    The thing is, Frozen doesn't have a "finding a man" plot thread.

  11. #2286
    verbose douchebag
    Registered: Apr 2002
    Location: Lyon, France
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    It's the femtrails, man. They get everyone in the end.
    BOOM!

  12. #2287
    Member
    Registered: Apr 2001
    Location: Switzerland
    The "femtrails" comment is one of the reasons why I keep coming back to some of the conversations here. Some comments make me want to bang my head against the wall repeatedly, but "femtrails" makes it all okay again. (Still need to paint over the bloodstain that wall, mind you.)

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 424752576267727782878889909192

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •