TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fog, glorious fog!

Desperately dodgy geezer

Fog, glorious fog!

After over a year with Vista and no fog, I now have it back!

Thanks to Bikerdude, who figured out that the lucky few Vista users who have fog all had HD-family ATI cards, and helped me find the right one for my slim desktop case, a Sapphire HD4650 low profile card. I had fog right out of the box without twiddling anything. For the record, my ATI drivers are 8.14.0010.0662 and I'm running ATI CCC version 2009.0428.2132.36839.

I'm ecstatic! THANK YOU BIKERDUDE!

I also launched St. Lucia real quick since the framerate was almost unplayable in the street areas running onboard graphics, and it was nice and smooth running at a high res (I think it was 1600x900).
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Oh wow! Well, now that it can be done, maybe I'll upgrade. Yeah that's right, I make all my computing decisions based on Thief.

BANNED
    Me too, but I wait to have enough gol... ehm... money

In any case I would have to keep XP in some virtual machine due to 3dsmax 5.1, its license doesn't run on 64b OS.

There's some patch to run Thief 3 or 2 with correct proportions in my laptop, that is with 1280x800?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Yes, I've used the widescreen path as well since I got my new monitor a few months ago. The card I got was surprisingly cheap - since I could only get a low profile card for my slim case, the best card was the 4650, which was only US $57 shipped. I was expecting closer to $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102829

jtr7
    WOOOT!

Victory is ours! Thanks Bikerdude and Yandros and ATI!

\o/

BANNED
    In truth, my question meant other.

A lack of fog has never bothered me as much as the 16-bit/dithering problem. That one just sticks out like a sore thumb, whereas fog is only visible on a few maps. When I was playing another game that had dithering issues years ago, a friend of mine said, "wow that looks all 256!" referring to a 256 color pallet.

I don't have fog with a HD4550 and windows 7

Oh wait, I think someone said it was because ddfix doesn't support it. With how long my monitor takes to switch resolutions I'm not really willing to give up ddfix either

jtr7
    It's not just DDFix that hasn't been updated for it (can it be updated for it?), but most video cards don't.

Got an HD 2600 XT. I sometimes have fog, but it randomly goes away, typically giving me a few rare moments of happy.

Massimilianogoi, there's a Widescreen Mod for Thief-1,2:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121240

and for thief-3:
    http://mugon.org/widescreen/thief.html

Seeing these CoSaS 3 shots, I really feel bad that I don't have fog on my nVidia card. I miss it that much.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 3rd Sep 2009 at 16:49.

This is indeed good news! lost_soul is right about it not affecting that many maps, but usually the ones that include it do it because fog makes a big difference to the map (like the one I'm currently working on )

I have a Geforce 8800, but also have a backup XP machine for those maps with fog. I can't justify an upgrade on my main machine, can I?

Well since the 4550 is so similar to the 4650 it probably would work if I'd disable ddfix. Actually I ought to try it out. I will later today...

It is a shame the developers didn't use OpenGL instead of D3d. OpenGL seems to have stood the test of time better than D3d. For example, fire up a game like Quake 2 or Sin and notice that they run exactly as they used to. Current game devs should really take this into consideration: which API will have better support ten years from now?

After over a year with Vista and no fog, I now have it back!
    Whoa-Vista is EVIL! I recently rebuilt one of my systems to run a Celeron D single core processor with win 2000 so I would have a good thief machine without having to do tons of tweaks for Thief 1 and 2-but I'm glad you got it fixed-that way if I'm forced to use Vista-you guys have already figured out all the tricks of doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Taffer View Post
    Got an HD 2600 XT. I sometimes have fog, but it randomly goes away, typically giving me a few rare moments of happy.
    Im getting this card for my media pc this evening, so I`ll report back.

Well that was a bust, the component video output was borked so had to take it back. So I'm off to my local supplier for a Sapphire HD4350 passive for the media pc.

Last edited by bikerdude; 3rd Sep 2009 at 18:09.

I'm running Thief on Windows 7 Professional using a HD 4670 GPU and I do have fog as well; with Vista and the same GPU I never got fog working

My solution is just to own enough computers and operating systems such that any program will inevitably work (correctly) on one of them. I think I own about... 20?

where is that room located then, in a nuclear bunker...!!!

nice collection btw

Epic...?

I think it's pretty epic. Especially when you want to have a LAN party, and no one has to bring their computers. =P

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by mudi View Post
    Well since the 4550 is so similar to the 4650 it probably would work if I'd disable ddfix. Actually I ought to try it out. I will later today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    I'm fairly sure that DDFix does support fog on the HD 3xxx/4xxx cards(Im sure Yandros is using it), what catalyst version are you using..?
    I am in fact using DDFix, yes, as well as the Widescreen patch in case that makes any difference. I'll report version numbers when I get home tonight.

My ATI driver is 8.612.0.0 dated 4/28/2009

My card is a Sapphire ATI HD4550 +HDMI, which is a step below the 4650.

My Thief2 is 1.18 with the latest ddfix and then the widescreen patch used to set the resolution.

(Oddly enough, I bought this card not expecting it to work with games at all, but I find even with modern games it works with detail settings at medium!)

Desperately dodgy geezer
    My ddfix.dll file version is 1.3.11.0, dated 28-May-2008. Mudi, maybe you need to use an older version of ddfix if this one I use is not the latest?