TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southquarter.com FM downloads

Southquarter.com/fms

Southquarter.com FM downloads

Due to some difficulties that our favorite FM download site is going through, I decided to put some of the most recently released FMs up at southquarter.com, mainly to ease the load on other sites like The Circle and The Keep. You can get them at:

www.southquarter.com/fms

I have no idea what I'm getting into here as far as bandwidth goes, but since I have some to kill, I thought I'd give it a try. There's a few missions up now, I'll add a few more over the weekend and shoot for keeping the most recent 10-15 up there at all times.

Bless you for that B.R.

And many thanks!

Way to go BR! Thanks.

This might eventually turn into a full featured FM repository later, if people are interested. The plan is not to compete with Thiefmissions or The Circle though, we (well, brother Renault) just want to use the free bandwith SQ has.

We'd really appreciate your comments and ideas on this.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Just one more thing - if any FM authors have a new release, send it to me or let me know where to grab it, and I'll put it on the site ASAP.

Great! I'll coming soon!

I think I just used up the last of your bandwidth.

I didn't even get all the files I was trying to download lol.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by antialias View Post
    I think I just used up the last of your bandwidth.
    Not likely. There might be some kind of a limit per day per ip however, I'll have to check into that.

I didn't even get all the files I was trying to download lol.
    A little hint here. When the community is a bit strapped for bandwidth it's not a good idea to DL more in a day than you're going to use. Actually that's good practice in the best of times.

We could be close to crunch time folks...let's start acting like it.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks for doing this, BR.

Moghedian and I have also each considered doing the same thing, and maybe eventually banding with other smaller hosts to form an old-fashioned Ring for Thief FMs. As BR said, we'd not be looking to replace The Circle or Thiefmissions, mind you, just to act as a supplemental archive. Plus, one of us is usually around here so we can be the initial hosts for new releases until the "all-in-one" sites pick them up. We'd have to figure out a way to divvy up missions though so there wasn't duplication, except maybe when a mission first came out which is when traffic on it is heaviest, but it's an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    A little hint here. When the community is a bit strapped for bandwidth it's not a good idea to DL more in a day than you're going to use. Actually that's good practice in the best of times.

We could be close to crunch time folks...let's start acting like it.
    Yes, I know. I had most of these files already. I downloaded 2, and had to restart the transfer a couple times on the second one. Apparently the fact that I wasn't serious wasn't sufficiently expressed by the "lol".

I'm sure you had good intentions with your admonishment, but it wasn't necessary to be condescending.

Thanks Brother Renault...

Thanks Brother Renault for hosting my fms on your website, as soon as i finish my new mission wich should be probably finished in the next month (im working harder than ever) i will send you my fm.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by antialias View Post
    Apparently the fact that I wasn't serious wasn't sufficiently expressed by the "lol".
    Sly's was an honest mistake; most of the people who come here and speak as you did in your first post would have merited his response. It's of course obvious now that you did not.

Is the "Skygem Connection: Rest and Relaxation" a new release sequal? I don't remember the "Rest and Relaxation" part. I dont want to download it if it isn't. I already played "The Skygem Connection" itself.

All right Brother R ! As far as I'm concerned, the more that share missions, the merrier

Yandros and I were talking about ways we could make a supplemental archive to help take some of the stress off of Thiefmissions and The Circle. So if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know. If it will make things easier, I can set up a FTP password protected dropbox(es) for authors to upload to.

I've also been working in my spare time on darklurker.org to provide additional hosting, and hope to have that site up and running at the end of this month.

ps
    The Skygem Connection: Rest and Relaxation is not a sequel to The Skygem Connection... they're both the same file. The Skygem connection is a sequel to Damsel in Distress , though

How about setting up a torrent? So everyone downloading a mission would also contribute to the further distribution and reducing the load of the main servers.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    How about setting up a torrent? So everyone downloading a mission would also contribute to the further distribution and reducing the load of the main servers.
    Very good idea ! If cheep missions goes away (or even if it don't) it is definitely the next logical step....no server needed except to host the torrents. For those who don't know torrents a torrent is a very small file that finds all the people sharing the file and starts downloading to and uploading from you and others the wanted file. You become server and downloader. Only a few KB here and there and away you go. And if there isn't any seeds (those who have the mission) all one has to do is come here and request a few. Good plan indeed. I have never started one but I'm willing to learn. I have downloaded/uploaded many.
    Last edited by Lightningline; 8th Apr 2007 at 06:12.

I saw recently that there's a tracker software that does auto-seeding. When someone checks the tracker and there aren't enough seeders, it will automatically start a client to serve the file.

This would be invaluable for FM torrents, because of the many older files that don't get as much traffic. Also, torrents are most efficient for large files, so it'd probably be best to bundle many smaller files together. At about a file size of 650-700MB or so.

I've got a bit of free space on my server, though I don't know how much bandwidth I can handle. Let me know, BR, how much damage this does for you and I'll see what I can manage. It'd be useful if we could get some type of bandwidth-limiting software to keep someone from just sitting on the server with a leeching program.

I did recently put in a private file uploader. I'll offer it for anyone doing FM testing. Mail or PM me to get a password you can use, and tell me how much disk space you'll need.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    Let me know, BR, how much damage this does for you and I'll see what I can manage. It'd be useful if we could get some type of bandwidth-limiting software to keep someone from just sitting on the server with a leeching program.
    I'm keeping a close eye on traffic, so far nothing too major.

I've been looking around, I'm trying to find something similar to what Jason has where each user (via ip) is limited to a certain bandwidth amount per day. If anyone knows of such a thing, let me know. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area.

I did just add a simple upload tool on the site for new missions, btw. Oh, and there's a nice new review by someone other than me (!) for a change.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Getting a little de ja vu here - I thought SQ was getting out of the file hosting business, but in any case...

Since some of the main Thief sites seems a bit...irregular...in updating their FM download links, I thought I'd try to help out a bit. I'm maintaining a page now that will at least keep the last 15-20 FM releases up and ready for download. I'm usually on TTLG several times a day, so I should be able to keep if fairly current.

www.southquarter.com/fms

(bookmark that, taffers)

I'm also working on starting up a mailing list of sorts, where subscribers can be informed when a new FM is released or updated, etc. Just trying to find the right program for it.
    Last edited by Brethren; 14th Oct 2014 at 18:16.

Thanks for providing this, it is appreciated.

It is indeed frustrating when hosting sites claiming to be nearly exhaustive fall months (or years!) out of date, while FM authors take the time and effort to create entire missions and campaigns. If that sounds ungrateful, I'm only saying one shouldn't volunteer for something so grand if they're not going to follow through.

I maintain a local list for the sake of tracking what I've played and not (without depending on DL and missions residing on disk), but no sooner do I switch to a site's layout (four times over the years now) that it decides it's not going to update anymore and I have to switch yet again. Maybe I'll switch to kamyk's thread as my local list (though it is not exhaustive); fingers crossed it stays active. Pity it doesn't include Dark Mod missions but I can append those myself.

Told you, Brethren
    Are the files going to stay in the /downloads folder or be removed later? Because people WILL link to them in the FM release threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I'm also working on starting up a mailing list of sorts, where subscribers can be informed when a new FM is released or updated, etc. Just trying to find the right program for it.
    Give Mailman a look, if you have sufficient privileges on your server. I use it on mine for managing several mailing lists, and it's pretty easy to set up, and very easy to administer once it's set up.

And thanks for doing this, it's appreciated.

It would be nice if there was at least one site that not only hosted all the FM's but actually updated regularly

It would. At the very least though (and since that doesn't seem likely), it would be great to have a definitive, every-mission-ever-released type of thread. The stickied FM list thread appears to contain around 500-600, but since FMs number well over a thousand, we're still very short.

Perhaps if we started with the list at thiefmissions, then rolled in everything missing from other sites (keep, ttlg, gl, etc) and kamyk's list, it'd be a good start. Even if not every mission has an active working link, it's important that they are at least listed and not forgotten.