TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fall/Winter 2014 contest ideas

Southquarter.com/fms

Fall/Winter 2014 contest ideas

Figured I'd start a thread on this just to shoot some ideas around. All options are on the table. Discuss what you'd like to make if you're an author, and/or what you'd like to see if you're a player.

Looks like the best results we've had recently were for the 64 cubed contest and the 48 hour contest from last year. But I'm up for anything. The 10 rooms contest was fun too.

ZylonBane
    I'd like a mission where you rob a Hammerite ski resort.

After a little of brainstorming, here's a few suggestions from a player:

• No limits contest. I've always wanted to see this as I've felt that all the contest missions were usually kind of cramped up in too small space, and were being artificially limited. Obviously this one would take a lot of time, but I can wait.
    • Thieves' highway contest! Well maybe it's hard to fit that kind of mission to a small space, but let's face it, we all love "A Life of the party"
    • A common theme, like horror, sea/harbor, keepers/hammers/pagan, tomb raid, etc.
    • Original resource contest to celebrate the releases of all these new graphics mods.
    • Innovative contest. The contestants would have to come up with something new, like a new game concept, new AIs, new player character, new weapons, etc. Something that would really make a difference, so not just a new lampet model or whatever tiny detail.
    • Absurd contest. I'm talking about "The Sword" kind of stuff

ZylonBane
    Has there been another beauty contest since NewDark was released?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMarzio View Post
    [*]Absurd contest. I'm talking about "The Sword" kind of stuff [/LIST]
    I'd like to do another contest similar to the crap contest - not one where you create crappy mission, but ones that are unorthodox, outside of the box and creative, like The Kill Factory, Incubus, Quamtotius Purgamentium, etc. No mansions or crypts or bank jobs, just really bizarre stuff that pushes Dromed in a completely different direction. If you know the editor, you know there are tons of possibilities. I guess it would be the "weird, strange, and unusual" contest, or something like that.

I liked it when the author's had to copy an older FM and made it their own.
    Ik love horror FM's with zombies en spiders and snowwy weather.
    And about new AI's: there's a mission coming up which has a lot of them in it. I don't want to spoil more about it.

There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

The simpler the better in terms of the contest's "hook" - too out there and fewer people will join in.

I'd be well up for a New Dark beauty contest, although granted it's less fun from a player's perspective.

A specific theme would be good, but it'd have to be very broad. Water, horror, Thief 1-esque were all good themes because they're broad and open to many interpretations. The Hammer contest was less popular, probably because Hammerites is a somewhat more restrictive theme.

"Winter" as a theme would be fun I reckon - lots of ways to interpret.

In my experience playing contest mission, due to the time constraint, also having a size limit helps. I also like when in addition to size, the missions are centered on a specific theme or concept, such as vertical, beauty, underground, horror, etc. As nicked mentioned, I'm in favor of an open theme more than a limiting one though. The theme is then more of a guide rather than a rule.

I really like the idea of showcasing the HD texture mods by doing an Original Resource Contest. That's my vote.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

After some thinking, how about an Escape/Find a way out contest? Those kinds of missions offer a lot of creativity and are very fun to play!

Then I also thought some kind of colourful contest would be interesting. With the recent teal and orange mania, wouldn't it be great if the goal of the contest was to play with colours as much and as creatively as possible?

well if its fall/winter 2014 contest.... why not have a Christmas themed contest, yes i know there are a few FMs, but not many, out there based around Xmas, but with such a general theme authors could make any type of FM, from a 'scrooge type' city Fm through to a 'Grinch' style FM whereby maybe The Trickster steels Christmas and Garrett has to save the day....

personally i think a pagan village christmas special FM would be a fantastic opportunity for a surreal mission, with all the fairies, raindeers, elves, pagans, treebeasts etc celebrating Xmas around a bonfire only for garrett to come along and steal all their presents.........

however i think that may have to be classified as 'kid non friendly'...

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    well if its fall/winter 2014 contest.... why not have a Christmas themed contest
    I like that idea (and the suggestions you made) !
    It would be different than the common Halloween contests (which aren't a bad thing either, but sort of pop up every year anyway).
    I think there has never been a dedicated christmas contest so far, afaik.

I'd like to see and possibly participate in some sort of a beauty contest. There hasn't been any for years, and New Dark has so much more to offer.

Something like The Most Unique Environment contest. Something that wouldn't be a playable mission, but a level to explore and hopefully admire. Some more guidelines:
    - abstract, unreal, dreamy, fantasy, surrealistic places
    - something you have never seen in dark engine before
    - something that is seen as impossible to build in dark engine
    - no typical, realistic settings - no mansions, cities, dungeons etc...
    - unusual architecture is fine - macro scale, upside down, escheresque buildings or tin can castle etc...
    - custom resources most welcome
    - cooperation most welcome (one level designer + model/texture/sound artists etc...)

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not to be too PC or anything, but I think it'd probably have to be a Holiday contest, not a Christmas contest. Besides the fact that not everyone here is Christian, it's also a somewhat meaningless term in the Thief universe. It would be much less restrictive to just have a "Winter Holiday" contest, or something similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    I'd like to see and possibly participate in some sort of a beauty contest. There hasn't been any for years, and New Dark has so much more to offer.

Something like The Most Unique Environment contest. Something that wouldn't be a playable mission, but a level to explore and hopefully admire. Some more guidelines:
    - abstract, unreal, dreamy, fantasy, surrealistic places
    - something you have never seen in dark engine before
    - something that is seen as impossible to build in dark engine
    - no typical, realistic settings - no mansions, cities, dungeons etc...
    - unusual architecture is fine - macro scale, upside down, escheresque buildings or tin can castle etc...
    - custom resources most welcome
    - cooperation most welcome (one level designer + model/texture/sound artists etc...)
    I love this idea BUT I think it should be playable. How exactly it plays doesn't have to take the spotlight but I'd hate to see lots of designing beauty be reduced to mere "look around and frob this switch when you're done."

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Not to be too PC or anything, but I think it'd probably have to be a Holiday contest, not a Christmas contest. Besides the fact that not everyone here is Christian, it's also a somewhat meaningless term in the Thief universe. It would be much less restrictive to just have a "Winter Holiday" contest, or something similar to that.
    Yeah I like your idea of simply a winter holiday contest because really not everyone celebrates Christmas and there are other holidays to choose from for people with different religious backgrounds. For me though I would probably build one based off New Year's since everyone celebrates it

Not too keen on the whole holiday theme. Winter themed would be more attractive in my mind, as a player anyway. I'm still favoring the original resource route, but these are all good suggestions.

How about a pre-defined story that the authors don't know about until the contest begins? It could even go so far as a pre-set amount of loot, or possibly include objectives.

I don't come in near as much as I used to, so this might have been mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitz View Post
    How about a pre-defined story that the authors don't know about until the contest begins? It could even go so far as a pre-set amount of loot, or possibly include objectives.
    Now THAT sounds interesting! Maybe it wouldn't fit for this contest, but definitely at some point.

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitz View Post
    This.
    I've been thinking of something similar. A good writer among the community (Tannar I'm looking at you) comes up with a small but interesting plot, he writes all the readables and objectives, maybe even pre-recorded conversations ready to be put in a mission. Basically he tries to come up with interesting ideas, and FM authors have to work on the architecture, the atmosphere and mostly the gameplay around this story.

The setting should remain open though, or vague enough, so that we could decide what can be done with the story. The writer shouldn't force the story into a specific theme, but give us the opportunity to create a city mission, mansion mission, hammerite themed mission or whatever we chose.

Or how about a teamwork contest ? We could create small teams of 2 or 3 people, and they'd work on a mission for a month or 2, a bit like what's been done with cell 6. We could even create interforums teams, like team France from Ariane, team Russia from Darkfate and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    The setting should remain open though, or vague enough, so that we could decide what can be done with the story. The writer shouldn't force the story into a specific theme, but give us the opportunity to create a city mission, mansion mission, hammerite themed mission or whatever we chose.
    I really like Jitz's idea of a pre-defined story for authors and then what DrK says about keeping the setting open, offering opportunity for variety. Speaking purely as a player, a beauty contest holds little interest to me. The winter theme is also a great idea - I love snowy, wintry missions. So a pre-defined winter story set nowhere in particular gets the vote from me!

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale_ View Post
    Then I also thought some kind of colourful contest would be interesting. With the recent teal and orange mania, wouldn't it be great if the goal of the contest was to play with colours as much and as creatively as possible?
    Hey, I was making a post yesterday (before chrome randomly quit itself for no reason) suggesting a themed contest idea as well.

Now I'm thinking: what if we made a "Theme contest" or something, where the only thing asked of authors is that they stick to a general theme (with a list of themes that are being offered to them, maybe own themes allowed (or maybe not...)). So one author makes a vertical-shaped mission where verticality is the main theme, another author makes a colorful mission (one color dominating one area, another color dominating another, something like that), another authors does an autumn mission (I suppose people could just mix these themes (like vertical + autumn) up to avoid unintended restrictions), some guy wants to make a horror mission, another one an all-seasons (spring, summer, autumn, winter) mission, or a cave centered mission, or a mystery mission etc.
    The possible themes are quite a lot (... or nearly infinite), so either we do allow authors to make up their own themes or we list the whole spectrum of themes people can think of or we just list a few broad enough themes that we'd like to see particularily (horror, verticality, colors, winter, aesthetic beauty?).
    I like to include verticality cause I liked the vertical contest despite it having had only 3 entries. They were all very enjoyable.
    Also, depending on what we can pass off as a 'theme' (holiday, 64-cube enclosed as well maybe even? 48 hour time-contraint?) it could also be the most free of restrictions contest. Though, knowing that is often not as good of a thing as it sounds, it would still probably be better to make it restricted.

It would make for a very subjective contest (different tastes draw in different people) but I think it would be a cool thing to have. We could also, in a way, find out how many people like certain themes.

I must say, the one-story-many-interpretations contest also sounds like an interesting idea. I think both of these contest ideas would be cool to execute in this/any-future-contest.

i would love to play a escape/jail/prison missions

also missions starting out in hell and working your way to heaven

missions that have more back story of om characters,like viktoria,karras,etc

also a missions where you start above ground and travel to the center of the earth

choice your own adventure missions would be nice but probably out of the question as time would take way to long for a contest

i also like time travel missions

added new idea surreal missions,mc esher/type stuff/"escape om" type textures,where things are mixed that make no sense

also hiking missions,where you start out at a base camp/cabin,then you take a path along amazing scenery/waterfalls/rock formations,hiking,rivers to cross ad look at ,maybe be able to make a dam to do something,kinda like first part of kings story's,before you get to castle,the journey there type stuff

i would also love to see a set of missions that are based on the movie "the cube" there its a cube that has a ton of rooms,some rooms are traps and some are safe rooms,in the end you want to get out alive

latest idea is based on the movie/book "the maze" a massive maze with puzzles and dangers to escape

space missions exploring the universe
    Last edited by downwinder; 26th Sep 2014 at 10:36.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not sold on the pre-defined story idea. Do authors really want to be confined to story written by someone else? Do players really want to play 5-10 missions with the same exact story? I'm playing a bit of the devil's advocate here - I'd like to get more opinions on this.

@Downwinder - Jason Otto made an FM for the total crap contest called The Cube which I think is similar to what you're talking about.

http://www.thiefmissions.com/m/Cube

I'll weigh in on the pre-defined story idea. I like it and I don't think it's been done before. As long as the story/objectives aren't too prescribed, I'd think it would give authors huge scope to do anything they liked in whatever setting they chose.

The pre-made story sounds like it has great potential, however I think you have to be careful with how much the pre-written part controls the author. How about just giving the objectives, and perhaps one or two important readables. Then instead of giving the entire story, just let the authors know the main premise. Then they can fill in the rest.

For example: A new lord has risen to power in the city. His organization makes it difficult to earn a thief's living. Steal some incriminating evidence and leave it in the hands of someone that can put him away for good. Objective: 'This is getting too far. Steal Lord ________'s journal and leave it in Constable _________'s safe. That way, Cragscleft is his only possible destination.' Then the author can fill in the missing parts; the journal could for example include evidence that the new lord is planning to assassinate the mayor, or maybe plotting to steal the key to the city.