TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345671217222732374247 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    Eh... the Dark Mod released?
    Now some negative comments. The updater is AWFUL!!!
    Don't use it.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by redface View Post
    Wooohoo!

Damn, I get is this when I run the updater

EDIT: Okay, seems to be working now, I just had to clean up the TEMP folder a bit.
    Same problem
    Just to clean up the TEMP folder? In Windows directories?

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Same problem
    Just to clean up the TEMP folder? In Windows directories?
    Documents & Settings -> Your name -> local settings -> temp

When I did it I left the folder that begins with "par-".

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noisycricket View Post
    TDM_models02.pk4 is 219 MB

The whole thing is 1.4GB
    This file is causing some disruption where I am - I am downloading via an unreliable mobilenet, and I am getting "Downloaded archive size is wrong" errors, probably due to minute breaks in the service. Well, gotta sit it out.

Quote Originally Posted by codereader View Post
    Don't use it.
    Is there a chunk of The Dark Mod somewhere? A .rar archive?

Read the thread. As mentioned earlier, we are planning to put a torrent tracker up in the next few days. People with connection problems will have to wait for that, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    This file is causing some disruption where I am - I am downloading via an unreliable mobilenet, and I am getting "Downloaded archive size is wrong" errors, probably due to minute breaks in the service. Well, gotta sit it out.
    I got the same message (the mirror was the KOMAG one). Now it's downloading from another mirror and, like, five times faster.

Read the thread. As mentioned earlier, we are planning to put a torrent tracker up in the next few days. People with connection problems will have to wait for that, I'm afraid.
    Great. I'll still try with this updater, but if I can't do it, I'll wait for the torrent.

Remember I was impressed by your alphas And I'm very curious to see your betas.

And maybe abandon dromed?

Don't use it.
    How's about being a little more helpful for those of us who would like to know what alternative method is there. I don't see one posted in the TDM Wiki.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Documents & Settings -> Your name -> local settings -> temp

When I did it I left the folder that begins with "par-".
    Yes! Thanks! Downloading!

Great. I'll still try with this updater, but if I can't do it, I'll wait for the torrent.

Remember I was impressed by your alphas And I'm very curious to see your betas.

And maybe abandon dromed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee View Post
    How's about being a little more helpful for those of us who would like to know what alternative method is there. I don't see one posted in the TDM Wiki.
    Well, the initial post sounded a tad impatient, if not impolite. There's the saying: we reap what we sow.

We have our reasons why we chose the tdm_update way for people to download stuff. It's not like we have massive free servers out there with unlimited bandwidth, we are relying on people donating their server bandwidth for us, and we have to obey their quotas, they pay actual money for it to provide a free download to you all. Plus, The Dark Mod will not stay as it is, it will evolve and live, that's why an updater is important to keep players up to date.

If somebody asks me about that, I'm happy to explain, but if I'm getting a "The updater is AWFUL!!! It's slow, slow, slow, slow..." thrown into my face, this is what comes back. It's not like you're paying us anything, so let's at least try to be polite even if you don't like some of our decisions.

There goes my free time

If somebody asks me about that, I'm happy to explain, but if I'm getting a "The updater is AWFUL!!! It's slow, slow, slow, slow..." thrown into my face, this is what comes back. It's not like you're paying us anything, so let's at least try to be polite even if you don't like some of our decisions.
    Just because a project is free doesn't render it immune to criticism. Many on this board (including your founder) told me that things I do (my FMs, for example) suck. I didn't like it when he told me that, but this is his right.

So I deserve the right to offer criticism even just BECAUSE I was offended by some of your people in the past for the same reason (I offer something for free and redistribute it).

Yay it's out...

... Now what?

So I deserve the right to offer criticism even just BECAUSE I was offended by some of your people in the past for the same reason
    So this is personal

Yes and No. We should offer positive AND negative criticism. Even if others don't like it.

So I deserve the right to offer criticism even just BECAUSE I was offended by some of your people in the past for the same reason (I offer something for free and redistribute it).
    You always had the right, no worries there. Just don't complain about me not being helpful afterwards, if I receive your post as impolite.

(And it's nice that I get to enjoy the result of something somebody else on TDM has done to you in the past, thanks a lot.)

At least the updater is working. It may not be awhile until it's finished updating, but I can wait. It would be nice if it showed the total progress rather than just individual file progress.

you evil people you, the week(end) my gfx card broke, and not yet found a replacement!

willl be a great way to break in my new card (hopefully next week)

I do not think he meant it IS personal.
    My impression is English is not his first language
    Also He is saying that he thinks it is his right and they should not complain when they have done so themselves in the past to HIM. Meaning this is a concrete example and not just hearsay. I could be wrong though

Stop complaining and just download it already

At least the updater is working. It may not be awhile until it's finished updating, but I can wait. It would be nice if it showed the total progress rather than just individual file progress.
    It shows the amount you downloaded so far, and it was posted that the whole package is 1,4GB. You do the math.

Anyway, that means I've been downloading for almost three hours and I have about the half of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Thelvyn View Post
    Also He is saying that he thinks it is his right and they should not complain when they have done so themselves in the past to HIM. Meaning this is a concrete example and not just hearsay. I could be wrong though
    You are right. Thanks for understanding.

I was not asking for advice. I said what I didn't like. That's it. Only updater/no .rar .zip .torrent

Have fun people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Anyway, that means I've been downloading for almost three hours and I have about the half of it...
    That's the servers, I guess. We have 6 mirrors hosting the full package, most of them with limited transfer quotas, that's why we had to weight them. The fastest mirrors have a tighter quota, so you are slightly more likely to end up on a slower server.

Also, it's likely that those servers are now sweating under the load of many concurrent users downloading, so your download rate might be slower than it could be.

It would be nice if it showed the total progress rather than just individual file progress.
    Yes, that's been planned, but we ran out of time. A future version of tdm_update will probably include that functionality.

An hour so far and at 1.1GB complete. So that ain't so shabby I guess.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345671217222732374247 ... LastLast