TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611161718192021222324252631364146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    I'm concerned that a lot of people are saying they have this setting:

seta image_useCompression "1"

This will compress all the dds textures again, and you will lose visual quality. Only use this setting if you have a low end video card. It will also increase load times.
    It looks like this setting is in our default DoomConfig.cfg file - oops

In the training mission I get a "whiteout" effect with textures getting black and white. It happens in all outdoor areas and in one indoor area.

Outdoors shooting range:

Indoors corridor leading to shooting range and melee training area:

Specs:
    Game settings: default
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    RAM: 1GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
    GPU drivers: Nvidia 81.98

Tried the mod on a fresh new doom3 install, using the latest nvidia drivers, still getting a black screen.
    Using 7950gx2. Also tried the cfg overwrite.

I finally downloaded TDM. Impressive job! I played training mission with no technical problems. Unfortunately, I have some issues with FMs.

System:
    Intel Core2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    2 GB RAM
    Win XP

The problem: every time I open some door the game freezes for 2-3 seconds. It seems like it tries to load data from hard drive then. That is really annoying. I had no such problems with Doom 3, Saint Lucia, or training mission. Any ideas?

BTW, the missions load really fast (6-10 seconds).

It is really strange. I can play each new game at very good framerates.

There is also one more thing: each time I try to load new mission after installation it returns to main menu during loading. Than I have to load the mission for the second time and it works.

Vivian: Sorry I can't keep up with all the issues so maybe we mentioned this before but have you read this? http://modetwo.net/darkmod/wiki/inde...DoomConfig.cfg Everyone who manually changes the config should be aware of it.

qolelis. Do you also see this in the short open air section leading to the stealth section?

In Chalice of Kings:

In this room, the movable tapestry on the wall does not cover up the loose brick? Frobbing the tapestry just makes it go up more, and frobbing a second time back to the original position (still not covering up loose brick).

Also the end level music got cut off by the title screen music. Unrelated(?): I've sometimes noticed in any mission that (esc)aping to the main menu will let some of the game sounds bleed through for a second before stopping.

bukary: my best guess is one of the config settings for textures. ie, maybe it's loading new textures for the new room. If you go out again, close that door and then go back if it doesn't lag then probably the textures are still loaded. If you go around the house doing that then back to the first one maybe it now has no more room for textures in memory and has to load them again. One of my PCs is lower spec than yours and I don't see that problem. gforce fx5900 which makes me think it may be some settings difference.

Hey Fidcal - no worries, I understand you guys must be pretty inundated at the moment. I partially solved the problem; looks like antialiasing was the culprit. If I don't try to use antialiasing, I get full resolution and I can unbind the strafe modifier without the .cfg being overwritten. Is this another ATI card issue, do you think?

Mods great, by the way.

UPDATE: looks like its a general problem with my setup and doom 3 - widescreen only works in vanilla d3 with antialiasing disabled as well.

Is there any way to get rid of those lags? It makes TDM unplayable. I loaded training mission again and... now it also freezes while I open the doors. It's like I am playing Crysis 2!

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Is there any way to get rid of those lags? It makes TDM unplayable. I loaded training mission again and... now it also freezes while I open the doors. It's like I am playing Crysis 2!
    This is just a guess, but seeing how the default on compress tex is 1 (compressing tex) maybe setting it to 0 would help. It probably is loading new tex when it lags, and at the same time trying to compress them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    This is just a guess, but seeing how the default on compress tex is 1 (compressing tex) maybe setting it to 0 would help. It probably is loading new tex when it lags, and at the same time trying to compress them.
    I tried this but I do not see much difference. I am also trying various tweaks. No luck. Guess I am DOOMed with TDM. It's a pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    Would be very cool to see a Dark Mod FM noobs contest soon to promote more FM's quickly.
    As soon as there is one count me in. No doubt.

And many thanks to Fidcal for that great A-Z Beginner Guide.

The problem: every time I open some door the game freezes for 2-3 seconds. It seems like it tries to load data from hard drive then. That is really annoying. I had no such problems with Doom 3, Saint Lucia, or training mission. Any ideas?

BTW, the missions load really fast (6-10 seconds).
    There's absolutely no reason why the training mission would work but the other missions would freeze like this.

The fact that the missions are loading so fast suggests that it's not caching any of the textures, and so loads them for the first time when you enter a new area. Not sure what setting affects that, however, or why it wouldn't happen in the training mission.

edit: Oh, now the training mission is doing it too? That suggests either hardware stress, or a changed cfg setting of some kind.
    Last edited by Springheel; 20th Oct 2009 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    I tried this but I do not see much difference. I am also trying various tweaks. No luck. Guess I am DOOMed with TDM. It's a pity.
    What are your menu video settings for ambient rendering and interaction shader? For ambient, it might help to set it to 'fast' and for interaction shader...standard.

Might give your system a bit more to play with in terms of resources.

Also, if you're experiencing lag...setting image_usecompression to 0 will not help you. Setting it to 1 should though, as this compresses the textures a bit more at map load time...it will increase the load time slightly though.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    In the training mission I get a "whiteout" effect with textures getting black and white. It happens in all outdoor areas and in one indoor area.
    Wild guess: Try changing your ambient mode in the graphics settings. i.e. If it's currently set to Standard then choose Fast, and vice versa.

Someone reported this exact same problem before, but I can't remember what they did to fix it. It involved turning off a setting....AA? Bloom? I can't recall.

edit: Ah, here it is:
    Edit: Confirmed. "Interactive Shading" was set to "High Quality". I changed it to "Standard" and the artifacts were gone. I also confirmed that I had it set to Standard in the SVN version and probably set it to that very early, so that's why I never noticed it before. (I also got "use" re-set to "U" instead of middle-mouse button ... But I suppose I can't change it back until after I stop seeding the torrent.)
    Last edited by Springheel; 20th Oct 2009 at 20:12.

I notice each FM has its own doomconfig.cfg, and in each one seta image_useCompression is set to "1" by default.

FYI:

I altered the one in Doom3\darkmod and the one in Doom3\chalice to "0" and loaded my quicksave in Chalice - I didn't see any change in loading times, and I did experience the slowdown/stutter when opening doors and entering new areas, which had not occurred on my system before (it's not really bad like some others have reported, no more than a second). If image quality was improved, my eye wasn't sharp enough to see it.

I've changed them back, and the stutter has gone. So for me at least, seta image_useCompression "1" is better.

Core2duo E6600, GTX260 896MB with Nvidia drivers v190.38, 2GB RAM, running XP pro 32bit, SP3.

While testing this, I found that last 50 loot I'd been missing!

I SOLVED my blackness problems,
    in my case it was the following 2 lines in DoomConfig.cfg:
    seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
    seta image_useNormalCompression "1"
    ( I set them both from 0 to 1 ) and then I put the file read-only.
    Everything looks perfect!

Edit:
    HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!
    This game sure has improved since the last time I've tried it!!
    The amount of polish is impressive to say the least.
    I think we have a serious future for Thief missions! woot!
    Last edited by denizen23; 20th Oct 2009 at 20:50.

I feel bad asking such a trivial question in amongst these serious technical issues... but when I'm manipulating an object, mousewheel control seems to be the wrong way round. When I scroll the wheel away from me the object comes toward me, and vice versa. I've poked around in doomconfig.cfg but I'm not sure what all the values are and don't want to break anything (tdm_grabber_reverse_control?). Everything else mouswheel-controlled (books, inventory) behaves as I'd expect it to.

And a quick question re: doomconfig.cfg. This file is present in every mission folder as well as Doom3\darkmod. When changing a value, which file should I change, or do I need to change them all? And does the file need setting to read-only to stop it from changing back?

And a quick question re: doomconfig.cfg. This file is present in every mission folder as well as Doom3\darkmod. When changing a value, which file should I change, or do I need to change them all? And does the file need setting to read-only to stop it from changing back?
    You only change the one in the folder of the mission you currently have loaded. TDM will copy your changes from folder to folder as you install different missions.

Quote Originally Posted by denizen23 View Post
    I SOLVED my blackness problems,
    in my case it was the following 2 lines in DoomConfig.cfg:
    seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
    seta image_useNormalCompression "1"
    ( I set them both from 0 to 1 ) and then I put the file read-only.
    Everything looks perfect!

Edit:
    HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!!
    This game sure has improved since the last time I've tried it!!
    The amount of polish is impressive to say the least.
    I think we have a serious future for Thief missions! woot!
    seta image_useNormalCompression "2" Should be set to 2, unless you have a really, really, really old card that can't support rxgb compression. Chances are 99% certain that you can support rxgb compression.

We have the solution for the blackness problems on our wiki, and people really need to read the wiki before trying anything.

The most important setting to solving the blackness issue is image_useallformats "1" This should solve the blackness issue in pretty much all cases...because...it's telling the D3 engine to use everything.

The most important setting to solving the blackness issue is image_useallformats "1" ... because ... it's telling the D3 engine to use everything.
    in depth technical analysis ftw ...

We have the solution for the blackness problems on our wiki, and people really need to read the wiki before trying anything.

The most important setting to solving the blackness issue is image_useallformats "1" This should solve the blackness issue in pretty much all cases...because...it's telling the D3 engine to use everything.
    In my case, image_useallformats was already at 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    Hello,
    "The Dark Mod". Boo, why "Mod" ??
    Why not Mod? The word Mod doesn't carry any type of negative connotation. Some ambitious and amazing things have come out of the Mod community.....and it 'is' a Mod after all.

All that taken into consideration. Like our name "Broken Glass Studios", we wanted to show respect to where our inspiration came from, so "The Dark Mod" makes sense as a humble nod to "The Dark Project"...and really, if "The Dark Project" was good enough for LGS, "The Dark Mod" is good enough for me.

Well, I finally got tdm installed, but I've got three weird problems. And yes, I read the doomconfig.cfg entry on the wiki, doesn't apply.

Problem 1. No matter whether I change customHeight and customWidth, or change it in the in-game settings, my resolution is forced to a weird resolution (1280x800.) This looks cut off.. Please note I have NOT installed any missions, nor played any. I've only launched tdm to the menu so far. Also, the doomconfig isn't read only. I tried 1024x768, but upon restart of doom 3, it reverts back to 1280x800 And on top of that, what's weird is that the in-game screen shows it as 1024x600, but if you check the dimensions of my image (attached), it's actually 1280x800

Problem 2. When I launch, I get the console (attached below to my post)
    and I have to hit Esc on my keyboard to get to the TDM menu. Once there, game seems to be fine.

Problem 3. Strangely, my saves from doom 3 regular are in the Load/save games menu. (No, I didn't copy them to the darkmod folder.)
    Attached Thumbnails error_tdm.JPG  

Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611161718192021222324252631364146 ... LastLast