TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567813182328333843 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

I'm getting an error that doesn't seem to be covered in your FAQ:

I've got the right patch installed and followed the installation instructions perfectly, so I'm rather puzzled.

Hopefully there's an answer, I've been looking forward to The Dark Mod for a long time!

Also, wanted to say that the updater worked fairly well for me. Took about 25 - 30 minutes to get the whole thing. Maybe it's my location or something.

Has anyone even been able to play this yet?

Sorry folks, with hindsight perhaps we should have warned that many downloads would be slow initially with so many downloading at the same time from just a few mirrors.

Echelon5: Can you confirm that's the training mission you are trying to run?

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon5 View Post
    Maybe it's my location or something.
    Dude, you are named "Echelon", of course you will download it fast!

Ahem.

I am starting to think I shouldn't have announced this on other messageboards, because there are now too many users trying to get the same data I do...

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Echelon5: Can you confirm that's the training mission you are trying to run?
    It's a startup error, so it's before anything even loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Dude, you are named "Echelon", of course you will download it fast!
    Good point! I AM the internet.

Echelon: Also can you look in the darkmod/fms/training/mission folder and confirm what files are there. Also confirm have you now got a doom3/training_mission folder?

Also try running tdm_update again but the one in the darkmod folder itself not the one in the doom3 folder. It won't download everything again but it will check the files are OK and if one is corrupt it should try to get it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon5 View Post
    I'm getting an error that doesn't seem to be covered in your FAQ:

Do you happen to have an old gamex86.dll from a previous demo lying around in your Doom 3 folder?

Torrents would have been a good (better) idea.

The downloader screwed up my mouse as soon as I launched it though, quite surprisingly. Can't move it upwards... Guess I'll just leave the connection open and go to bed, I'll get the files eventually

Quote Originally Posted by codereader View Post
    Do you happen to have an old gamex86.dll from a previous demo lying around in your Doom 3 folder?
    Aha! That fixed it! Thank you very much. Some others might end up doing the same mistake I did. Perhaps a small note should be made on the installation instructions?

Is the Dark Mod really free
    For you, yes.

For us, it cost about 5 years of labour.

Enjoy!

Still Subjective
    Just to warm people - I have a 10Mb connection and the 1st time I DLed everything with the updater it took 6 hours.

Just turn it on and then do something else. Think of the time as an investment

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    For you, yes.

For us, it cost about 5 years of labour.

Enjoy!

I know how much it costs, Springie... After all, I'm a FM author, too. I had something else in mind and hope some of folks here understand this.

Thanks for feedback Echelon5. I'll try to add that to the FAQ.

Yep, quick work! Just found it.

Just playing right now. It is a strange feeling, just like thief 4 is out.
    A big thanks to the TDM team

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    Thanks for feedback Echelon5. I'll try to add that to the FAQ.
    Fantastic. Shouldn't bother anyone else.

Aaaaand now it crashes on loading of the training mission. No errors or anything, it just gets to the "Preparing to start mission" dialogue and then...stops. I'm going to try and uninstall Doom 3 and do everything "clean" and see if that helps.

Lovely ! Had to do a mad search for my doom3 CD case but I found it!
    Just in case anyone else needs it here is a patch link.
    http://www.filefront.com/6670218/DOO...1-Win32-Patch/

Darkmod site is DOWN btw for me anyway?
    Probably bandwidth exceeded.

It is working again now. Last time it said "Service unavailable".
    I am on the torrent like flies on .... Ahem you know
    Dont forget to leave it seeding after you get it peeps
    Last edited by Thelvyn; 17th Oct 2009 at 15:44.

Here's a quick torrent, hopefully this does the trick. There should be more seeders from our team joining the swarm over time, right now I'm the only one.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/torr...arkmod.torrent

Thanks to Kolya for providing us with a tracker.

edit: www.thedarkmod.com is working for me.

If we download and use the updater are we then locked into using it forever or can we use the updater to get all the files and then manually download and install maps and such in the future?

Reason being my internet connection has a monthly quota which is not a lot and I need to watch the amount of bandwidth I use..

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    If we download and use the updater are we then locked into using it forever or can we use the updater to get all the files and then manually download and install maps and such in the future?
    You will have to download FMs on your own right now. The updater is only responsible for the mod installation (and future updates), not the missions you're downloading.

@Echelon5 and everyone: When an FM is loading there is a progress bar but once the FM is loaded then there is still some processing which may take quite some time and it might look as if it has crashed. doom3 does not provide (far as I know) any way to show a further progress bar so we put a message like 'please wait'. So it's not usually a crash. Please erm... wait.

After a smooth installation with no problems, I tried running from the launcher and it no worky.

I got a somewhat generic Windows Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error. "Error caused program to end in an unusual way." That's basically it. And the tdmlauncher.log file does not indicate anything related. I'm running Vista sp2. I've tried running in compatibility mode, but no difference.

If we are using the torrent, what subdirectory off of our base doom3 should we be copying the files into?

...and a hearty congratulations on the release!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee View Post
    After a smooth installation with no problems, I tried running from the launcher and it no worky.

I got a somewhat generic Windows Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library error. "Error caused program to end in an unusual way." That's basically it. And the tdmlauncher.log file does not indicate anything related. I'm running Vista sp2. I've tried running in compatibility mode, but no difference.
    Do you see the TDM splash screen? When does the crash occur? From what it sounds, the D3 1.3.1 patch might be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by elkston View Post
    If we are using the torrent, what subdirectory off of our base doom3 should we be copying the files into?
    As mentioned on the website, put it in the C:\Games\Doom3\darkmod folder, whereas C:\Games\Doom3 is wherever you installed D3 into on your system.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567813182328333843 ... LastLast