TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Is there or any chance for a fix for the ATI spinning sky without turning off the Catalyst AI? Because if I turn it off, all is well but the game crashes in places (at least demagogue's mission did, I didn't have the patience to narrow it down), and if I set it to Low, then there are no crashes but I get the spinning sky thing.
    Sorry, no known fix for this without turning off Catalyst. It's not likely something we can fix without full access to the D3 renderer, and we just don't have that yet.

In the mean time, there were some known issues with crashes and huge save games. We fixed this and released a fix for it.

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm...tdm_game01.pk4

Download this file and drop it into your darkmod folder. Make sure if you're using internet explorer that it doesn't rename the file to .zip. If it does, rename it to .pk4.

Once you have overwritten the old file with this one, delete your old save games and start the mission anew. That should hopefully take care of it. If not, let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I can understand some of it.

What's funny about it, everytime you hear an English word, which is every other sentence, or how their voice changes with the video, you'll basically know what they're talking about even without knowing so many words.
    Part of why I was curious was because I could kind of follow it by the voice and context.

I should do a Japanese translation of my FM so they can really appreciate playing it.
    That might be a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Haha, yappari! [I should have known]
    I should have known he'd get to mine soon.
    (Funny timing, too, as I just uploaded a playthrough myself just now.)*
    Well, I'll leave him a nice comment in Japanese.

* Edit: By the way, when I'm uploading Fraps videos to YouTube, the source video I upload is fine, but once you YouTube they're ending up with parts completely blacked out; way darker than the source. I've seen this happen to other people's Thief FM uploads, too. (cf. 1, 2). Anybody know how to keep the YouTube encoding as bright as the uploaded source video? Is it an encoding thing?
    Last edited by demagogue; 16th Nov 2009 at 00:13.

Cool, the japanese are getting into dark mod.

You know japanese demogogue? Cool. I'm studying Japanese right now.
    はじめまして。 どうぞ よろしく。

Is there a recommended sequence in which to play the existing FMs? Is there a specific FM (other than the training mission) that serves as the best introduction to the gameplay?

Classical Master 2008
    Thirith: I would start with Outpost; it is fairly relaxing, short, and has most of the gameplay.

Thanks!

Yes, I would play Outpost and Crown of Penitence first to get used to things. Chalice and Pantently Dangerous are both a little more challenging.

jtr7
    To post some Thief 4 news regarding TDM and the dev team, from an attendee over at the Eidos forum, after attending EM's 2009 Open House:

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath The Thief
    I went and asked some questions too.

I brought up the topic of the Dark Mod to the Thief 4 dev guys, and they said something like: we are aware of the Dark Mod, we played it, what they did is astonishing, more over from a team that worked in their spare time and without any budget or payment.

They are very confident about Thief 4; they are motivated and know the Thief universe as much as we do, so I felt relieved. They also said that they want to cater to newbies as much as to hardcore Thief fans. I guess it poses interesting challenges for them.

Concerning the DX dev guys, a visitor asked if they were basing DX3 on DX1 or 2, and a level designer said : You know, I didn't go too far with DX2. I liked it, but a couple things bugged me right off the bat. We're pretty much following the DX1 vibe instead of the sequel.

They are very confident about Thief 4; they are motivated and know the Thief universe as much as we do, so I felt relieved
    It would've been strange if they'd told the opposite.

Concerning the DX dev guys, a visitor asked if they were basing DX3 on DX1 or 2, and a level designer said : You know, I didn't go too far with DX2.
    Excellent, EM designer hasn't even completed the game he is making a sequel to (Well, I know DX3 is a prequel to DX1, but anyway).

It's just a sign he may have a good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    Excellent, EM designer hasn't even completed the game he is making a sequel to (Well, I know DX3 is a prequel to DX1, but anyway).
    ...considering how little of DX1 remained in DX2, I think this is rather a telling sign of their design aspirations. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    What's so bad about that? I've finished DE three times, yet I haven't finished Invisible War either...

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by LeatherMan View Post
    What's so bad about that? I've finished DE three times, yet I haven't finished Invisible War either...
    Fine, but you're not developing the next game in the series either. I've played Deus Ex several times, and never once played Invisible War. But if I was involved in creating a sequel to either game, you can bet I'd play them both multiple times for reference. It's basically just doing your homework (even if you don' want to).

Chances are it was a bit of dick swinging -
    "Look how much we know what you guys want, IW? Pff, piece of crap dude, man it's so crap I couldn't even finish it."
    Chances are a few people on the team had to finish it, if at least as Brethren said to do their homework.

It's arguably just as important to know what not to do, as what to do.

Seriously. On topic, you could have a field day counting up the features in Dark Mod that are responses to what didn't fly with TDS, and it was more than a little (anti-) motivation for the whole project itself.

Seriously. On topic, you could have a field day counting up the features in Dark Mod that are responses to what didn't fly with TDS, and it was more than a little (anti-) motivation for the whole project itself.
    Yet, on the other hand, we also simply looked to Thief 1/2 in many cases and asked ourselves how a T1/2 feature would evolve. If you were to watch a TDM lockpicking session on youtube, you really wouldn't notice much of a difference between T1/2 lockpicking, and ours. Logical progression. Not that we slavishly copied everything, we just tried to advance the original in a way that made sense when we could.

A lot of things in TDS were not an evolution, but rather an almost completely new system.

Disregard: I enabled bloom like an idort
    Last edited by Echelon5; 18th Nov 2009 at 21:59.

jtr7
    Well guys and gals, I may have a "new" old system that will run Doom 3, Dark Radiant, and The Dark Mod. A very gracious and kind gentleman, whom I'd never met formally yet interacted with at least once a month for the last 6 months never knowing who we were behind our usernames (LOL), hooked me up with a system somewhat cobbled from parts he had accumulated. It's like the Millennium Falcon of computers--don't worry, she'll hold together. I've yet to fire her up, but will be doing so a little later today. If she works, and keeps running into the next couple of years, I'll be able to poke around in all your handiwork and see it first-hand, and more. Wish me luck!

Fantastic, and just buy Doom, I know you have reservations about buying a game you're not going to play, (I fired it up and played a few levels till I got so bored with conveyor belt fragging) but just think of it as a tool.
    Cos the Dark Mod is just such a worthwhile platform
    And it can only get stronger.
    GOOD LUCK

jtr7
    I'm really surprised the game does not exist in stores in this town. Not in the used games stores, nor on or in any bargain shelf or bin...nowhere. Diablo II's still on prominent display and I hear more talk of Doom 3 than anything Diablo anymore, off the 'Net.

Not only can I not play nor enjoy Doom 3, but I'm truly sick of run'n'gun fraggin' or hand-to-hand martial art assassins and bruisers as the epitome of great games. Thief is the only series that works on all levels for me. Home sweet home at last! It's the perfect kind of game for me. I don't want my money to vote for more of what I loathe, so I'll look for a used copy. Principles, ya know. I tell you the truth: If I could thank Carmack with my dollars for his generosity with the fans, without a monetary vote for more Doom, I'd do it, absolutely. For now, he has my written thanks.

its great to see some of my textures in-game
    i never thought u'd use them
    ...thanks for putting me in the credits
    Last edited by shotgun; 21st Nov 2009 at 04:36.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    its great to see some of my textures in-game
    i never thought u'd use them
    it would be nice to see my name in somewhere your credits...
    I just double-checked - you're indeed mentioned in the "Texture Artists" section.

Don't know if it's asked before but, do Broken Glass Studios have any plan on multiplayer for near future?

Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast