TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1182

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

I'm the 1000th

Bring in the booze.

And any secret preview of some Undead?

(you know, just to imagine something in waiting all these amazing TDMthings! :-) )

They seem fresher than Thief's zombies. Also, I hope they are the traditional type that cannot run.

I can tell you when they hit you, they slug the hell out of you. IIRC, they weren't so fast, like zombies should be, but I was surprised how they lash out if you're not careful and get a little too close. They're not like the shrinking zombies that Thief's were.

So is it zombies only in the next release, or the undead in their entirety? I don't think I've yet to see a ghoul, although I do remember what the revenants look like...
    Classic Thief map and legend.

I suspect only zombies will make it in from the undead family.

I'm trying to run this on Windows 7 with the Doom 3 1.3.1 patch installed. When I try to play an error appears after clicking on 'Objectives' saying "Couldn't load map/maps". If I then click on 'Buy Equipment' it returns to the TDM title screen. Any help please?

edit:

Ok I was trying to open TDM via the Doom 3 shortcut before. I've since tried using tdmlauncher but when I try to play an FM an error message appears saying "could not find tdmlauncher" and the game returns to the title screen. I have the correct Doom 3 patch I downloaded from your server.
    Last edited by Kurshok_Warrior; 26th Dec 2009 at 19:00.

I've since tried using tdmlauncher
    It's not clear to me exactly what you've done. What are you now using to launch TDM and how are you trying to load a new mission?

I'm trying to load missions by loading up TDM, clicking on 'New Mission' then installing one of the FMs.
    If I run TDM using the Doom 3 shortcut I can install missions but I still get the blank objectives parchment and the 'couldn't find map/maps' message when I try to play. If I use the tdmlauncher in thedarkmod folder then I cannot install missions, it says one is already installed but there are no fms in the list on the menu screen. If I try to play it says it can't find tdmlauncher. It returns to the TDM title screen in both cases.
    I tried reinstalling Doom 3 then installing the patch then copying thedarkmod folder to Doom 3 but it still doesn't work.

I'm trying to load missions by loading up TDM

So you're using tdmlauncher.exe... When you click New Mission, what missions are displayed?

It's ok I fixed the problem. I reinstalled Doom 3 again and now it works fine. Playing Thieves now, it's great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Kurshok_Warrior; 27th Dec 2009 at 16:17.

jtr7
    Can the color of the light reflected off a bump-map be adjusted, or is it just taking the texture colors and gradating them according to the light-source color?

Someone else will answer more authoritively but to the best of my understanding the bump map just uses the color channels to hold the angle of the surfaces to the normal perpendicular (the 'normal map') so although looking at a normal map is multicolored I think it only changes degrees of brightness in-game to represent the contour of the surface. I guess you're talking about reflected light color?

jtr7
    Yeah.

And the contrast often seems too strong, making almost every bump-mapped texture look overly coarse, wet, oily, melted, plastic, crusty, etc., incorrectly. I'm hoping there are ways to tweak things to look less artificial for all the added detail, instead of just another kind of artificiality requiring higher processing. As we know, materials reflect and refract light differently than one another, and that might be a next step toward creating a natural look and getting very different materials to look like very different materials, of the correct level of weathering, wear, manufacture, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Yeah.

And the contrast often seems too strong, making almost every bump-mapped texture look overly coarse, wet, oily, melted, plastic, crusty, etc., incorrectly. I'm hoping there are ways to tweak things to look less artificial for all the added detail, instead of just another kind of artificiality requiring higher processing. As we know, materials reflect and refract light differently than one another, and that might be a next step toward creating a natural look and getting very different materials to look like very different materials, of the correct level of weathering, wear, manufacture, and so on.
    I think that level of control will be beyond us until the d3 source is released. The D3 light interaction settings are handled by one file, the interaction.vfp file. Some of the later idtech4 games broke the lighting chores into separate files to allow for better control. We can't do that yet unfortunately.

jtr7
    Thanks. I suspected it wasn't available, nor easy to make happen.

Clearinghouse
    I like article's title Thief 3.5

jtr7
    Too bad the blog article itself has got some major inaccuracies.

Dangit, Marcel! *shakes tiny fist*

Still Subjective
    That article is such a piece of crap it would have been better of not being written.

A "port of Thief 3"?

Get out.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Someone from the team ought to post a comment on his blog, or at least email him and have him straighten that mess out.

The poor beginning:

"Thief – Deadly Shadows was a brilliant game." and the golden "The Dark Mod is rather a port of Thief 3"

ROTFL

I stopped reading here.

I tried to post a comment, but it wouldn't work. Have to be logged into word press. I suppose I'll sign up for an account so I can ask for them to correct their article. It's nice to have a write up, but I just don't understand how they got the information so wrong...especially when the description at the top of our website clearly describes what the mod is.
    Last edited by New Horizon; 29th Dec 2009 at 12:04.

Ah, these are idiots. They surround us.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks for making me think of this song, hadn't heard it in years.

Wrathchild America - Surrounded By Idiots

They were ahead of their time...

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast