TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530354045 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

I wouldn't recommend changing the FOV right away, as it has gameplay implications (if you make it wider, you'll appear much further away from things than you really are and can easily bump into them). What is it that makes you want to adjust it?

My advice for what to do while waiting for TDM to finish downloading?

Play Doom 3!!! I'm sure after a few years some of you have updated systems and can handle the game in "Ultra" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    Just finished training mission everything is perfect.
    Is there a way to increase the FOV?
    By thats quick, did you find all TEN health potions too?

Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee View Post
    Since FMs are FMs are FMs, that's all the more reason to include TDM FMs in the main FM forum. Keep 'em all together. Simple is always better.
    Don't agree actually. Though I'd love to play TDM one day, I can seethe differences between it and DromEd missions are quite big. It is based on Thief, but it isn't Thief. It would be a bit like putting System Shock 2 FMs in the TFM forum too.

Plus, I guess there will still be many people that stick with ol' Dromie, not just with making missions but also with playing missions. Conclusion, for me (and I think many others) TDM is with much love welcome on the forum, but not as a brother, more like a favorite cousin.

Wow...

It looks great.

It sounds great.

It feels great.

It plays great.

Congratulations for the release!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlooker View Post
    Oh my.
    I have Doom3 on my big PC that I never connect to the net for sec reasons.
    Internet is handled by a weak atom driven linux surfbox.
    So I cannot download with your TDM updater - I would prefer some kind of a more usual
    download.
    While I understand your updater is in place to handle the first storm of traffic, I would like to ask if there may be a more direct/usual way of download in a couple of days ?
    You can just run the updater on your netbook, then copy the files over. Or use the torrent:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/torr...arkmod.torrent

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    It is based on Thief, but it isn't Thief. It would be a bit like putting System Shock 2 FMs in the TFM forum too.
    Eww, horrible analogy. In that case, why is TDM being discussed in the Thief Series forums at all? After all, you said TDM is not Thief.

Technically, that's true. The Dark Mod is NOT Thief. It's not quite as different as SS2, though. It is inspired by Thief, and is similar to Thief, and is generally of interest to Thief fans...but isn't Thief.

Edumacated

thanks guys!

downloading asap!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee View Post
    Eww, horrible analogy. In that case, why is TDM being discussed in the Thief Series forums at all? After all, you said TDM is not Thief.
    Indeed an horrible analogy, I'm sorry but I couldn't think of something better.

Of course this thread belongs in Thief Gen - it has many relations to Thief, though it isn't Thief. A lot of threads in this forum are just Thief-related.
    Now it's released there will be much more questions about every aspect of it, and that's why I suggest another forum.

Just keep in mind just because I say TDM isn't Thief that I don't think TDM belongs in the world of Thief. Though I do think it should have its own forum: there will be many, many threads about TDM, I'm pretty sure of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    I wouldn't recommend changing the FOV right away, as it has gameplay implications (if you make it wider, you'll appear much further away from things than you really are and can easily bump into them). What is it that makes you want to adjust it?
    I must admit I play at 16:9 widescreen so a default fov of 90 seems well zoomed in. I don't know that all fps games adjust fov for aspect ratio, but I know that in TF2 the values are 90 for 4:3, 100 for 16:10, and 106 for 16:9 displays.

Anyway, I'm having fun finding the health potions on the movement training, got 8 so far. You have got the movement feeling very oiled, I am playing one agile MF All the footsteps on different materials sound bang on too. And it just looks really great.
    Last edited by cacka; 17th Oct 2009 at 17:42. Reason: crap grammar

Quote Originally Posted by noisycricket View Post
    Regarding FOV, I'd recommend making sure your aspect ratio is correct first in the options.

Then open the console using ctrl+alt+~ , then type in seta g_fov 100 (or whatever you want)
    Is there a way to make it permanent without having to use it in every new load?

Regarding widescreen.

I can't remember if the DarkMod menu allows you to choose widescreen resoultions, or if you need to edit the Doomcfg file as is necessary for regular Doom 3.

I played St. Lucia, but it was on my older computer and I can't remember how/if I ran it in widescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by codereader View Post
    Yes, that's been planned, but we ran out of time. A future version of tdm_update will probably include that functionality.
    After each file, it says X/Y files, meaning X out of Y files already done. It could be improved, of course, but just wait until it is finished downloading, just because you see (or watch the progress, it won't go any faster.

And what codereader said, my mirror has limited space (so I couldn't put up another 1.4Gbyte RAR file) and limited bandwidth, I would pay a lot of money if I overrun both of them.

@the complainers:

Please remember, The Dark Mod is not only provided *for free to you* but it also costs us a lot of time, effort, energy *and real money* to provide it to you.

Personally, I find it mighty impolite and without respect to not only expect to get things like TDM for free, but also to complain that we don't throw even more of our time, energy, effort and money on it, so that you also get it yesterday.. but that might just be me.

You have got the movement feeling very oiled, I am playing one agile MF All the footsteps different on materials sound bang on too. And it just looks really great.
    Thanks. It's great to hear gameplay feedback.

I can't remember if the DarkMod menu allows you to choose widescreen resoultions, or if you need to edit the Doomcfg file as is necessary for regular Doom 3.
    Yep, there are several widescreen options available from the main menu, though you can create custom ones by editing the doomcfg file.

Finally got it to work! Played through most of the missions.

What I loved:

Atmosphere - Holy crap, you guys somehow managed to make something in the spirit of the original Thief, yet somehow "your own." It's immersive and dark and gritty and fantastic. The combination of the aesthetics (guard uniforms, textures, music, etc) all fit together wonderfully.

Gameplay additions - Lockpicking! Rope swinging! Sword dodging! All very well implemented and easy to pick up. I am especially fond of the lockpicking. Job well done.

Needs Improvement:

Some sound effects: Mostly related to footstep. I guess the thieves in The Dark Mod went to the Garrett School of Stealth because they wear hard leather dress shoes on missions, since walking along tiles sounds like a bratty 5 year old stomping his way across the house. It works though, as it stands out and the player does need a good reference to how loud they are being.

Over all, awesome job and I am very much looking forward to future missions and releases of the mod itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    If we download and use the updater are we then locked into using it forever or can we use the updater to get all the files and then manually download and install maps and such in the future?

Reason being my internet connection has a monthly quota which is not a lot and I need to watch the amount of bandwidth I use..
    As codereader said, you need to manually download FMs. However, not matter whether you use the torrent or the updater, you end up with the same files. You can always later:

* manually download updates
    * OR run the updater to update

Currently, FMs always must be downloaded manually, but we might add something later to make this more easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin View Post
    Is there a way to make it permanent without having to use it in every new load?
    I pretty sure you can add it to the doomconfig.cfg text file in the darkmod folder and it will then load every time.

Mostly related to footstep. I guess the thieves in The Dark Mod went to the Garrett School of Stealth because they wear hard leather dress shoes on missions,
    Yeah, we stuck with that convention purely for gameplay purposes, and to make it more familiar to Thief players. I wouldn't mind seeing a "footstep realism" mod someday, though.

Over all, awesome job and I am very much looking forward to future missions and releases of the mod itself.
    Thanks for the feedback. There are several other FMs that are only weeks away from being complete. And I've already been working on rigging new characters for the first update. Things only get better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon5 View Post
    Finally got it to work! Played through most of the
    Some sound effects: Mostly related to footstep. I guess the thieves in The Dark Mod went to the Garrett School of Stealth because they wear hard leather dress shoes on missions, since walking along tiles sounds like a bratty 5 year old stomping his way across the house. It works though, as it stands out and the player does need a good reference to how loud they are being.
    Lol that was a topic we debated endlessly... the footsteps really are a "tool" though, letting the player know how loud he's being. We opted for the bratty 5 year old stomp sounds :P

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    Note to self - release April Fool mission upside down.

I'm torrenting right now! Though there's more bees than their is seeds, so I needs at least a little time to get almost all of it, so if you guys can just grin and bear the difficulties of downloading TDM for a while, that'd be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post

I'm torrenting right now! Though there's more bees than their is seeds,
    The torrent is not too bad, I am getting around the 80KB/s...Unfortuantely I cannot upload a lot as my uploads are also counted towards my monthly quota...But I am uploading...

@Kin: g_fov is one of those that doesn't 'stick' in doomconfig so instead, this works...

Create a text file: autoexec.cfg in your doom3/base folder and enter into it:

set g_fov 100 // sets player field of view (default 90) or any comment you want

[EDIT] note the format is different to doomconfig - no quote marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    The torrent is not too bad, I am getting around the 80KB/s...Unfortuantely I cannot upload a lot as my uploads are also counted towards my monthly quota...But I am uploading...
    Well, I guess it's just my frame of reference. I've clocked my bitrate at about 500kb in some rigged situations.

I'm late to the party again, but this is great news. Congratulations! I think I can say without even having downloaded it yet that this is something you can be really proud of

Now I just have to sell a kidney and buy some spare-time. I'm going to download it and at least check out the training mission if I can.

Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530354045 ... LastLast