TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116212631364146 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod released!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fidcal View Post
    @Echelon5 and everyone: When an FM is loading there is a progress bar but once the FM is loaded then there is still some processing which may take quite some time and it might look as if it has crashed. doom3 does not provide (far as I know) any way to show a further progress bar so we put a message like 'please wait'. So it's not usually a crash. Please erm... wait.
    I ran into the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it crashes during the please wait screen - but looks like it's only present on the training mission. I could start the Outpost mission fine for example. So, uh, what?

What a wonderful news! Finally!

One question: should I delete/uninstall anything connected to Dark Mod (like Saint Lucia) before I install DM 1.0?

The please wait message can last quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    What a wonderful news! Finally!

One question: should I delete/uninstall anything connected to Dark Mod (like Saint Lucia) before I install DM 1.0?
    I don't think you have to, but when you see the TDM 1.0, I think you'll want to anyway, this is quite an upgrade. Plus, there is a Saint Lucia Redux in the works.

bukary: no it creates a new subdirectory 'darkmod'. Perhaps if you later on decide to download some fan-mission that is also called 'saintlucia' then you may want to remove one of the earlier folders, but the TDM missions have different names. Downloading

I ran into the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it crashes during the please wait screen - but looks like it's only present on the training mission. I could start the Outpost mission fine for example. So, uh, what?
    Crash or just freeze? If the latter, the only way to be sure is to let it run for a good five minutes or so. The Training Map is fairly large and can take a good chunk of time to load if you don't have much RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Crash or just freeze? If the latter, the only way to be sure is to let it run for a good five minutes or so. The Training Map is fairly large and can take a good chunk of time to load if you don't have much RAM.
    Also, how much main memory do you have? 1Gbyte is the minimum you should have for running Doom3, Windows/Linux plus a big mission with lots of textures. Speaking of them, how much memory got your graphic card? 256 is considered about the minimum, but it might be it also runs on a 128 Mbyte card (albeit not well, it might swap a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Springheel View Post
    Yeah, it just stops responding. I'll try again and wait for some more - I gave up after about five minutes before I posted that. Anyway I have 2 GB RAM, and 512MB video card memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Yeah, it just stops responding. I'll try again and wait for some more - I gave up after about five minutes before I posted that. Anyway I have 2 GB RAM, and 512MB video card memory.
    Yeah that should be enough If you load the mission, and the progress bar goes to the end, it will continue loading, and usually you should see your HD light blinking like crazy during that time. If it stops, it might really hang.

I have one little other bug (seems Doom 3 doesn't like the Radeon 48XX series), which makes the skybox pan and rotate much faster than the rest of the world.

If I turn the mouselook 180 degrees in any direction, the skybox will turn at least 360 degrees, even sometimes to the point of being inverted. As a consequence, all the exteriors look weird.

1680x1050 16:10 with no AA and no bloom.

Apart from that, I'm having a blast. Warm congratulations to the whole team.

Whoah! Guys, you were right (obviously)! It took a good ten minutes though. Well at least I know there's nothing wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Whoah! Guys, you were right (obviously)! It took a good ten minutes though. Well at least I know there's nothing wrong here.

Glad to hear! Did you by chance have anti-virus or other things running in the background? They might slow it down a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I have one little other bug (seems Doom 3 If I turn the mouselook 180 degrees in any direction, the skybox will turn at least 360 degrees, even sometimes to the point of being inverted. As a consequence, all the exteriors look weird.
    I have Radeon x1950 pro and the same problem. On my PC animated skybox works only with Catalyst drivers 7.11 or older. But then there's even bigger problem with displaying textures with alpha channel (they disappear) so I decided to keep newer drivers and bad skybox.

Classical Master 2008
    My initial impression after playing through the tremendous training mission and before heading off to sleep:

1) To get things out of the way first, this is absolutely breathtakingly super-awesome. Yes it is. Saint Lucia was already impressive, but the work since then has had to be phenomenal: most of the rough edges disappeared, the mod seems to run better han ever (see below), and the atmosphere is tremendous - great textures (really liked the windows!), subtle and ominous sounds (a major coup for the team, since good sound is really hard to do), seamless and so-far bug-free gameplay. Visually, the mod looks younger than its engine, and if it sees upgrades after Doom is open-sourced, it may become more beautiful still.

2) My performance was pretty poor for Saint Lucia on my laptop, so much so that I had to resort to running it at a low resolution and switch off a lot of features - and it still lagged around large open areas and dynamic lights (torches). However, the test mission here was almost problem-less in 1024x768 and only a few minor compromises had to be made to make it work. I noticed a slowdown at the canal when looking across to a faraway torch... although it might have been a long view. Otherwise, no problems at all.

3) I strongly disagree that this mod is some "estranged cousin" or whatever. It is, in fact, a fantastic spiritual sequel to a fantastic game, and deserves to be treated like a member of the family. It is certainly thiefier than Thief 3 ever was, or tried to be. The movement alone demonstrates that. Nor will it replace Dromed as an editing platform - people should rest assured about that. That old beast never dies. Now, yes, there are going to be a lot of opportunities in TDM missions. Also a good thing.

4) Lots of small details - I got a kick out of the fact that there is both a regular gargoyle and a chickeny-looking one - cool lockpicking - never got past the second round of melee combat; it is frightening again - object physics a major feature and crating will make a triumphant return (although probably in a different form from TDP/TMA).

5) Tapdancing is as cool as ever!

6) Okay, taffers, someone must climb up to the balcony of the huge grey tower looming over the archery range. There is bound to be a way there!

Well, so much for this time, and thanks again! This is beautiful.

I got this message:
    Argument "NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at script/tdm
    _update.pl line 445.
    at the end of the download using the updater, just before this message:
    TDM Updater executable has been updated.
    I quickly went into the training mission and everything seems to be working fine, but I thought you'd like to know.

Still seeding. I'm 61%!

I'm almost speechless. This thing is going to cause quite a stir around here; mostly good. I had no idea there was going to be that much new stuff; especially with the interaction. I spent over an hour alone in the training just learning all the new things. Some of it takes alot of getting used to. Graphics remind me of Deadly Shadows alot. Hopefully the levels won't feel as small as in Deadly Shadows; I haven't been through a whole regular mission yet to tell. But this definitely is going to add more life to community. In some regards, this raises the bar of what we are going to want from Thief IV. EM has their work cut out for them.

And already knowing what many of our favorite FM creators can do, I can't wait to see what some can do with this.

Same as qolelis, some text from the screen: http://pastebin.com/m2cab7085
    Last edited by shadow_ibix; 17th Oct 2009 at 19:43. Reason: quoting from wrong person

Hopefully the levels won't feel as small as in Deadly Shadows; I haven't been through a whole regular mission yet to tell.
    The three missions currently available are all on the smallish side, mostly because all the bigger ones are still in progress. Don't take them as a sign that missions have to be small, because they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    I have one little other bug (seems Doom 3 doesn't like the Radeon 48XX series), which makes the skybox pan and rotate much faster than the rest of the world.
    say it ain't so... I just ordered a 4850 the other day *grumble*

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    I got this message:

at the end of the download using the updater, just before this message:

I quickly went into the training mission and everything seems to be working fine, but I thought you'd like to know.
    Thanx for letting is know, will add an entry to the bug tracker.

Torrent is slowly getting better, a lot more seeds have just come online in the past ten minutes...

Getting 150KB/sex now..Much better then the 40KB/sec I was getting a short while ago....

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_ibix View Post
    Same as qolelis, some text from the screen: http://pastebin.com/m2cab7085
    Hm, what version of Windows do you use?

Edit:Also do you have a tdm_update.exe file in your darkmod folder, or is there just a tdm_update_win.zip file? Or are both there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    Torrent is slowly getting better, a lot more seeds have just come online in the past ten minutes...
    That probably are the lucky ones where the download already finished

Still seeding here, uploaded 370 Mbyte so far.

Getting 150KB/sex now..Much better then the 40KB/sec I was getting a short while ago....
    That is a lot sex, tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus_TDM View Post
    I have Radeon x1950 pro and the same problem. On my PC animated skybox works only with Catalyst drivers 7.11 or older. But then there's even bigger problem with displaying textures with alpha channel (they disappear) so I decided to keep newer drivers and bad skybox.
    This bothers me because I have Radeon too. What do you mean by "bad skybox", can you show a screenshot?

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116212631364146 ... LastLast