TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Dark Mod FM] Patently Dangerous (Oct./31/09)

I found the lab, blueprints and wife's body downstairs. Now I am stuck. I think I should get to the balcony with chair somehow... But how?

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    I found the lab, blueprints and wife's body downstairs. Now I am stuck. I think I should get to the balcony with chair somehow... But how?
    There's another openable window out of Soren's lab, by the mushroom room. If you read Soren's diary, you know who has the missing pages, where he is, and who's help you need to get in there. Go to his house via the rooftops.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    Sound issues
    Yes, ambient sounds are extremely loud. Lowering down the volume in the settings makes them disappear completely on the other hand.

I am also having troubles with framerates. The mission really stutters on my year-old system (I have absolutely no problems with newest games). I can't imagine playing some bigger TDM mission. Strange. St. Lucia was running very good.

bukary, you'll need to adjust your soundcard volume like I did. Then do slight tweak in game to get it just right.

I needed to go in/out of game a few times to get it just right, but it went from untolerable to near perfect, so worth a few minutes to tweak.
    ----
    Also, if you were fine in Saint Lucia this should be better, as optimizing on everything was done.
    It will depend mission to mission though. Midnight in Murkbell crashed my comp in beta enough I dropped as a tester and was always kindof laggy where other FM's weren't.

So can't speak on this mission particularly but optimizing missions could be different author to author, mission to mission. You should try the other missions and see if they run better.

I had crashes on this mission with the catalyst AI set to Off. When I set it to Low there were no crashes, but I got the spinning sky issue.

Anyway it was a good mission. Liked how the tension builds up, and the warehouse part was quite creepy. Good thing the no kill objective was optional - I failed it, because I just couldn't let that bastard in the warehouse live.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelvyn View Post
    If your still stuck after Leathermans post...
    thank you, I wasn't able to mantle Benson's wall and thought there must be another way. maybe it's just getting used to the new engine, I didn't think I could mantle over the fence at the beginning or jump from Harlan's house to the stone doorway, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    did you notice that the handwriting of that note is quite different from her letter in the living room (which was also missing its P.S. when she got back from meeting Crattick) ... Was that different handwriting from emotion or from another hand? There's supposed to be a little mystery left there.
    I did not at the time, but yikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    Sound issues
    I could hear the guard at Damuddy's house from a block away, but that was the only thing that seemed wrong. player footsteps still seem too loud, but that's a DM thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    the tension builds up, and the warehouse part was quite creepy
    I was sneaking up on every corpse and hitting them, just to be sure it wasn't the murderer playing possum!

OK. Beat this. Very nice. A bit sparse at points; almost looked unlived in. But, since I played this right after Saturnine's brilliant FM... maybe I was spoilt.

That murderer wasn't much of a swordsman. Well, not after a mean gash when his back was turned. (I approach most doors from the side, so he busted the door open but didn't see me. Ha! Natural inclination saves me again.)

I have a question though. People mention Soren's wife's body. Where is this? i found a woman's body in the warehouse, but no note and certainly the ambiguity as to who killed her wouldn't be there even if there were. I found the blueprints in the lab then went out the window. Nary a wife's corpse to be seen. Just her note that she's going to the warehouse.

Also, it seems women in dresses in the Dark Mod don't wear underwear.

You didn't go down the stairs from the lab, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    You didn't go down the stairs from the lab, then.
    No, I did. After I went to the warehouse, I decided to come back. i went down the spiral staircase but couldn't open the door there. Gave up and hopped out the window and over the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by northeast View Post
    No, I did. After I went to the warehouse, I decided to come back. i went down the spiral staircase but couldn't open the door there. Gave up and hopped out the window and over the gate.
    There's a key on Soren's table near the window that opens that door. I figured it was in Soren's personality to lock his wife out of his lab.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    There's a key on Soren's table near the window that opens that door. I figured it was in Soren's personality to lock his wife out of his lab.
    Does that key only work one way? I could have sworn I tried it later on that door going from the other direction. Ah well.

Yes, it only works one way (going down). It's not much use to lock the wife out if she has the same key. Yes, I realize that's a little convoluted, but the story kind of put it together for me.

My oh my this Dark Mod looks good from the shots I've seen. In folks experience is it worth getting hold of a copy of Doom 3 to play it ? If so I'll look out for a second hand copy, I've seen 'em on Amazon.

Where can i get dark mode?

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    Where can i get dark mode?
    That's Dark Mod, not Mode. Just to clarify.

You can find links to download it from www.thedarkmod.com

I believe others are hosting it elsewhere, but I don't have the links at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by raymeld View Post
    In folks experience is it worth getting hold of a copy of Doom 3 to play it ?
    YES.

Quote Originally Posted by raymeld View Post
    In folks experience is it worth getting hold of a copy of Doom 3 to play it ?
    Only if you like hundreds of free Thief like stealth games (only far better) over the next few years.

Thanks demagogue. I had fun with this mission. I won't say much for now because I'm about to play it a second time. The first time I went KO-crazy, this time I'm gonna try something approaching a ghost style. I'm not sure how far I'll get with that, considering the optional objective with Harlan, but I'll give it a go.

I'll make some more comments later, but the short version is: fun & atmospheric mission, well-balanced challenge, I enjoyed playing it, thanks for making it.

EDIT:

Yay, I found the gas arrow!
    Last edited by piln; 6th Nov 2009 at 17:50.

I also would like to play this FM, but I canīt get it to play with Darkloader.
    Normally I DL a mission and put it in my Thief downloads folder, which opens with Darkloader. Normally I find the zip file there, but now I donīt!

In my sources I can see that itīs there, but it doesnīt show.
    Any suggestions Taffers

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Gloria, this is a Dark Mod FM.
    (I wrote that in the title; sorry if it's confusing.)
    You can only play it with the game Doom 3, along with installing the Dark Mod.
    You can't play it through Dark Loader or Thief2.

I had a great time playing this FM. I think it is the best TDM offering to date. Thanks demagogue. I ghosted it but came up 15 short of loot. I'll continue tomorrow.

EDIT: found the 15 with help from piln

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
    Here is the ghost report.

I am curious about a couple of things.

What is the image you see when loading the mission? I don't know where that is or what is its relevance. Also,

Is it possible to move the bookcase in Damuddy's office, behind which is a door you can blind pick?
    Last edited by smithpd; 7th Nov 2009 at 14:14.

Wow. I never spotted that safe behind the bookcase. The switch to move the bookcase is at floor level by the foot of the small table with Benson's letter on it (far left corner of the room, as viewed when you enter). I'll make this a separate spoiler in case you don't want to know what's inside: the safe contains 4 coin stacks, a bracelet and a gemstone. Everything you need for 100% might be in the safe.

Strange occurrence: as I was climbing & searching all over the room, I manged to make the globe disappear by jumping on top of it

Anyway, thanks for the tip - that got me to 100% loot; I finished with a stealth score of 9, and the dropped point appeared to be from a guard hearing me open the warehouse door (I myself was stationary and in total darkness inside the warehouse). This is after my final quicksave, and I didn't repeat it when I reloaded to go explore Damuddy's office - so I think it's safe to say 10 is possible, but I am going to actually do it just to make sure This is still without completing the optional Harlan objective, though.

A couple of things I still wonder about:

What does the snail in the coffin mean?

Why is there music coming from the coffin? It makes me think of Soren's child's room, but I can't remember if it's the same tune.
    Forget both those questions, that's me being a dunce, I went back and read Mrs' Soren's letter - probably the first readable I found - and it's perfectly clear. Can anything be done with the snail though? I returned it to the child's cot

Is it possible to complete the Harlan objective without KOing anyone?

Is there any way to supply evidence? On my first play through, I dropped Soren's diary on the chair that Harlan had been tied to, in case there was a hidden objective or something. I've also tried bringing unconcious Crattick to the room.

EDIT
    Oh yeah:
    Quote Originally Posted by smithpd
    What is the image you see when loading the mission? I don't know where that is or what is its relevance.
    That's the front of the warehouse. I guess it's like a big freight door or something, but I don't think it can be opened.
    Last edited by piln; 7th Nov 2009 at 09:12. Reason: still playing!

Glad you liked it Peter, its one of my favorites to date as well. This is only the beginning for TDM! :-)

Thanks, piln for pointing me to the switch. There was a small item remaining in there that was too far away to blind frob. So that makes Perfect Thief with a little help from you.

As for that image, that is the only minor complaint I have about this mission, demagogue. It is blurred and not very interesting, IMO. I must have had to look at that image 50 times while ghosting. If it were my design (and it isn't, of course), I might have used a shot from a rooftop, which would give players motivation to explore further, or maybe Soren's mushroom tank, which would indicate that there are mysterious places to find.

Anyway, thanks again for a very fun and well designed mission.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    That's Dark Mod, not Mode. Just to clarify.

You can find links to download it from www.thedarkmod.com

I believe others are hosting it elsewhere, but I don't have the links at hand.
    Many thanksNew Horizong, exploring now...