TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Dark Mod FM] Patently Dangerous (Oct./31/09)

I just have to say that this and the recent new missions to come out of TDM are GREAT! the feel of these are very much like TDS only better! Though I will never stop playing the Thief proper missions as long as there are missions!! IMO these are truly in the tradition of ttlg.

P.S. Thanx demagogue!!

jumping from the roof

I have gotten to the roof, but I can't jump across to the other side. Is there some trick to this?

Quote Originally Posted by king42 View Post
    I have gotten to the roof, but I can't jump across to the other side. Is there some trick to this?
    There are a few things you can do.
    - You can turn right, walk forward, drop on that little awning, then check out the window across from you.
    - If you get the angle right, you can just jump on to the little roof over Soren's porch, then jump across that way.
    - You can also drop onto the light hanging on Harlan's wall and hop across that way.

For want of a rope arrow the mission was lost ! ( Well it is for me anyhow. ) I've tried and tried to climb that tree to get through the window to no avail so , sadly time to give up ...... maybe if one had been left somewhere it wouldn't have been so frustrating- was dying to see what lay beyond!

Don't climb the tree, climb the wall

Thanks Fidcal I'll look around for another way.

I wouldn't normally ask something as basic as this I'd naturally try myself , but.... I'm outside the top floor window of Harlan's place and can't climb over the top of the roof. Is it possible? I ask because I'm experiencing slowdowns at this point of the mission and can't try it out because the mission keeps freezing here.

Well , I struggled suffering bad freezes to the side of the roof and found the window next door.But it kept crashing or freezing when I tried to get through so sadly I'm going to pack in this one at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by raymeld View Post
    I wouldn't normally ask something as basic as this I'd naturally try myself , but.... I'm outside the top floor window of Harlan's place and can't climb over the top of the roof. Is it possible? I ask because I'm experiencing slowdowns at this point of the mission and can't try it out because the mission keeps freezing here.
    Sorry about the slow-downs. One thing you could do (have done) is be sure you close Harlan's window behind you so it doesn't render the attic. (And generally close all doors behind you.) There is a page for more performance tweaks on the Dark Mod wiki, but aside from that sorry I don't know how to help. Thanks for trying to play it, though.

You can't climb over Harlan's roof because, if you could, then it would render the entire street on the other side and that would really slow things down! Edit: You can get on to the other side if you use the little awning roof, though.
    Last edited by demagogue; 29th Nov 2009 at 16:03.

Thanks for your kind help demagogue. This is a lovely little mission and I commend you on it. Sadly , yes , I did get that far but because of the slowdowns / freezing couldn't get any further and will just keep the mission file and saves in the hope that I can have another go in the future.

no go for this mission :(

Hi peeps trying to play this mission but it keeps scrashing at map loaded... please wait .

Have doom 3 patched up and dark mod works ok as ive played other missions ok.

Im using Win7 64bit ultimate if that helps. any help would be great as reall would love to try this out looks dam great.

Gone, but never forgotten
    I miss 3 coins

An idea ?

1759 / 1762

- Fressard : 4 coins
    - Damoddy : 9 coins

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jo View Post
    I miss 3 coins

An idea ?

1759 / 1762

- Fressard : 4 coins
    - Damoddy : 9 coins
    Did you check in the fountain?

Gone, but never forgotten
    Thank you, it is good what I missed

I've posted a walk through of my mission on YouTube now, in 5 parts, all linked together into a playlist.

The first one is spoiler-free, but from then on it's pretty much full of spoilers. And since the story of this one turns on some surprises, I strongly recommend you don't watch it until after you've played it, or if you can't run Dark Mod and just want to watch some of the fun.

Enjoy.

Any chance of doing an HD version? I just can't stomach low res stuff on YouTube anymore. You'd need to capture in 1280x720, setting Dark Mod to that resolution (16x9). Then it would be a gazillion times nicer online.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

I tried that originally and you know YouTube is very ornery when it comes to large file-sizes and bugged out on the upload, so I just went with this to not have to deal with it. But I'll try to re-upload a HD version sometime in the future too.
    What do you see when you turn out the lights? / I can't tell you, but I know that it's mine. (J. Lennon)

Had trouble realizing what to do next in the beginning.

Had no rope arrows and kept looking for a way into that window.

Eventually finished it. Nice to walk on rooftops.

Thanks to the author!

nice mission

It was enjoyable playing this one, looking forward for more

Why can't I get into the warehouse?

Everyone else is posting about what is inside there. Why can't I get in?

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyTaffer View Post
    Everyone else is posting about what is inside there. Why can't I get in?
    If I recall correct, the entrance is via the rooftops.
    You can get up there from some other buildings/balconies.

There are only 3 windows

I got to the far side of the warehouse on the ledge. I went both ways, and the two windows on each end don't frob. I tried to climb to the middle one, and that isn't a valid path. I tried to edge past the end windows, but no matter what I do, I fall off right away. If one of the end windows is active, I have lost my frobbing power! If it is the middle window, one of you thoughtful taffers who got there before me must have put butter on the window ledge.

I guess I'll try for the middle window some more. I have a few spots left with no bruises yet...

Edit: I thought maybe I should cover some things in this post. I have looked for 45 minutes for "spoiler" instructions and finally found something that said I should see a "SPOILER" button above my post. I don't see it on the "Edit" and I went to fake a new reply and didn't see it there, either. I'm using Firefox 3.6.13 and have allowed TTLG full rights in my "NoScript" but I don't see how to do a spoiler. Maybe I have to use HTML?
    Last edited by DaffyTaffer; 28th Dec 2010 at 10:25. Reason: Wanted to cover up a few lines

Quote Originally Posted by DaffyTaffer View Post
    Why can't I get into the warehouse?
    To get inside the warehouse...

Hint: It's not through a window. You get in through the door. It's Damuddy's warehouse, so the key is inside Damuddy's house (in the SE corner of the map). Now to get into Damuddy's house, you do get in through one of the 2nd story windows (probably what Gnartsch was thinking about), then you should find the warehouse key in one of the rooms.

Edit: Re: Spoilers. When you "edit" a post, you don't see the spoiler button (it's the final "S" button when you're first posting). You can only see it if you click "Go Advanced" when editing. But anyway, you can also post this, without spaces: [ spoil ] ... [ / spoil ]
    Last edited by demagogue; 28th Dec 2010 at 23:30.

I'll have to check the map...

I forget which house was his, and I lost my hard drive, and although I saved some things before it died, I'm not sure if I have a save from that game. But I read a few things in here that seemed to talk about a key, and without checking the map, I went back to the house I thought was the right one and either didn't find the key, or [ spoil ] I had it and didn't know. I don't think I had it, I'm sure I tried everything in my inventory on the door. [ /spoil ]

I also went to "view source" and tried to figure out the code for the spoiler, good thing I didn't try anything. What I saw was more complex than what you said to do. I still don't see a spoiler button anywhere on this page! But I am on a live version of Linux at the moment, and maybe I need to get it loaded in full (browser isn't complete on the live version). I've got bare bones Windows loaded, so no Thief yet...

In fact, Thief is the only reason I'm still using Windows. I've had everything packed for a couple of years (slow divorce) and haven't been able to play anything Thiefly because I didn't know where my disks were! When I got my disks and got back to the forums, I was all excited when I saw that there were instructions for Linux, since I was hoping to drop Windows altogether. But I never was clear on one issue. I read the Wiki page and I assume you need a Linux version of DOOM 3 to load that on Linux, don't you? Otherwise I think there would have been instructions to extract files from the CD's, and it seemed as if they were talking about loading the game. I just tried to look on the DOOM 3 page, but without Flash loaded, I can't view much. Anyway, I'm now at least a day away from getting it loaded and getting back to Thief, I need to clone everything just in case something bad happens again.

The hard drive was a month old and I am assuming it was bad from the factory. I am sure it couldn't be the game, but like I said, that is the ONLY thing I do from Windows. It would sure be curious if a couple of other people saw their drives go down too...
    Last edited by DaffyTaffer; 29th Dec 2010 at 17:32. Reason: Because I can't read! (WITHOUT spaces, eh...?)

Why don't you post a thread in the Darkmod forum ( http://modetwo.net/darkmod/index.php...-tech-support/ ) on the technical questions. You can definitely play Darkmod on Linux and there will be people there that can help you set it up.