TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: T2FM: Saturnine's Rose Cottage (10-31-09)

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you have found the crowbar, then go back out the loft door again, and close it behind you. You'll figure out where to go.

We have a problem translating this mission into Russian. Everything's OK, but we still have no ideas how to translate a title.
    What does the word "Rose" mean? Is it a name of a person? Is it a name of a flower? Couldn't find a single rose in the level, but many empty pots in the conservatory. Maybe they WERE here?
    Any clues, please - WHY "Rose"???

Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    We have a problem translating this mission into Russian. Everything's OK, but we still have no ideas how to translate a title.
    What does the word "Rose" mean? Is it a name of a person? Is it a name of a flower? Couldn't find a single rose in the level, but many empty pots in the conservatory. Maybe they WERE here?
    Any clues, please - WHY "Rose"???
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    That's the euphemism for the full place name itself Basil -
    a "Rose" is a type of flower!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose

I have no idea how translations work though - i have no idea if you need to translate rose then cottage or if there is a russian euphemism/slang for the one that "rose cottage" means - using that would be the best for russian speakers to understand right away!

Thanks a lot! I even couldn't imagine...
    (Do non-English speaking persons supposed to know THAT?)

I am pretty sure the answer to your last question there Zontik is

No!

Though I am not certain, I think euphemisms are language specific. Like there may be ones that a russian speaking person are familiar with but an english speaking person would have no cultural context in which to understand it.

And heck, I was'nt even familiar with that specific euphemism (Rose Cottage) myself!
    ( it's in the very nature of an "euphemism" that it is'nt "common" usage! )

For example it is called "Cold house" in Hungarian (Hidegház) .

OOH!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    For example it is called "Cold house" in Hungarian (Hidegház) .
    I like that one! HEH HEH!

Very "to the point"!

but man, can that be confusing!:
    "Honey, where's the steak I just bought?"
    "It's in the cold house dear."

Yeah, right in the coffin .

Quote Originally Posted by Sensut View Post
    Yeah, right in the coffin .
    in Drac's of course, though he's not actually eating it, just doing a bit of sucking up the juices from it!

Thank you.

Saturnine, thank you for a wonderful mission. I can only hope that the people making Thief 4 will have the same level of detail that you have.

Well,

Quote Originally Posted by TafferDawg View Post
    Saturnine, thank you for a wonderful mission. I can only hope that the people making Thief 4 will have the same level of detail that you have.
    Sad to say, but I highly doubt they will come anywhere near the bar set by such masterpieces as Rose Cottage, CoSaS, The Flying Age, T2X, and prolly a few others I have yet to enjoy!
    (oh yeah there's also Sensut's Drac and Bathory campaigns - great atmosphere in both!)

Rose Cottage Help!!

Playing Rose Cottage mission but can't figure out how I'm to put the 5 spirits to rest, I have no weapons and have looked around for clues but no luck, anyone played it yet??...damn creepy mission, loving it so far

Please post next time in the original thread.

As for your question, check the chapel again, and especially the holy water 'fountain'.

I merged the two threads. Please do as PotatoGuy suggested and post questions in established threads when possible. Thanks!

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    Search seems to be out of order Nightwalker. He may have searched and not found any referrence.

I tried with ROSE, and COTTAGE and was unable to get any response other than a note to try again with no results.

But,Potato Guy came to the rescue.

This thread came up for me using both rose and cottage with no problem. Might have been down at one point but it is working now.

Rose Cottage

AWESOME!! Thanx guys.. started it again and finished.. not sure how I missed the holy water fountain first time but it gave me another chance to play through it again.. Best Haunted House Mission EVER!! gave me big time chills. Thank you Saturnine for such an awesome mission.. again
    also I asume all those cards you must collect give you some sort of bonus?? got most of them but maybe I'll go through it again and see if I can find all now

Say, when was the Russian thief released anyway? (Little offtopic, sorry. Just curious)

Quote Originally Posted by gregak View Post
    also I asume all those cards you must collect give you some sort of bonus?? got most of them but maybe I'll go through it again and see if I can find all now
    Yes it does. You can find the card list here if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett's Shadow View Post
    And heck, I was'nt even familiar with that specific euphemism (Rose Cottage) myself!
    ( it's in the very nature of an "euphemism" that it is'nt "common" usage! )
    Euphemisms are actually quite common, since they are used to "dress up" less palatable terms, most often dealing with sex and death. It's the time/region/social circle that can affect their rarity.

Speculating about their origins is always fun, though. Mine would lean towards the small, cottage-sized mausoleums of Victorian England (like those found in the FM), which would be decorated with flowers during funerals and visitations. Roses, being the most sentimental of flowers, would feature prominently.

As these became less common and the modern funeral industry developed, the term came to describe the destination of the recently deceased, the mortuary. Furthermore, it would be a term used by adults towards children who had lost a close relative. "Where are they taking him?" "Don't worry, he is going to the Rose Cottage."

North Americans, with a shorter urban history and broader cultural mixture (due to continuous immigration), never moved beyond the more prosaic "Funeral Home" or "Funeral Parlour". They are so unfamiliar with the euphemism, that the top Google search result (2009) is the website of a cheerful Bed & Breakfast in Alberta, Canada.

My Fridays used to be a lot more exciting.
    Last edited by Printer's Devil; 28th Nov 2009 at 02:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Printer's Devil View Post
    They are so unfamiliar with the euphemism, that the top Google search result (2009) is the website of a Bed & Breakfast in Alberta, Canada.
    HEH HEH HEH! The last place you will ever stay, and for longer than just overnight!

AWESOME, just imagine the whole Thief serie with that level of quality...
    What kind of threats could force Saturnine to do more ?

I did not find cards 3, 4, 9, and 12...
    I know the list is posted a few pages back, bookmarked it in case I really give up.
    (9's location has been asked for more time than 18's, it must be extremely... obvious )

I just want the general locations, please

General locations:

3 - Thomas' study
    4 - Hallway near dining room
    9 - Crematorium
    12 - Kitchen

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast