TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th Planet by the Independent Thief (updated 2013-04-10)

4th Planet by the Independent Thief (updated 2013-04-10)

Hello everyone, a few years ago I started playing Thief 2 after reading some reviews online and have been hooked ever since. For the last couple of years I've been dabbling on my own with dromed, lurking here and picking up tutorials there. I discovered Yandros's Weary Taffer forums (I LOVE the summit and Hammerite Deathmatch) and have been hanging out there for a while. Although you may know me as NightRanger here, I'm known over at the WT as the Independent Thief (author of the Batman Demo, Ice Base I, Cold Feet). I've finally gotten my betatesting done and I'd like to present my own little take on the recent group of horror themed missions, this one with a sci-fi twist-inspired by BG Taffer's fun little mission Walking on Mars.

It's called 4th Planet and you can find it here :
    ThiefMissions
    *NewDark version*

Additional thanks to everyone who helped me with testing and in the Editing Guild, you guys really helped me raise the bar on my work.

Edit by epithumia: reflect newly-released NewDark version.
    Last edited by epithumia; 10th Apr 2013 at 15:11.

Congrats on the release and thank you!

Edit: Excellent mission! For anyone interested I posted a review with screens here.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 7th Nov 2009 at 22:24.

Should actually go to sleep - but this is just to good to not try out first! Thanks!

Edit: The ruins look great! When I read about eggs, for some reason it made me think of Halo: Combat Evolved, the mission where you discover the Flood.

Going to sleep now, but definitely play this tomorrow!
    Last edited by PotatoGuy; 7th Nov 2009 at 21:29.

Two Mirrors:

4thplanetv5.zip

4thplanetv5.zip

edit - updated to v5
    Last edited by Komag; 11th Nov 2009 at 18:31.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    This is a really well done mission, with some really tense gameplay, plus awesome new AI by GORT and also the first voice acting I've done for a Thief mission since R Soul's All Torc.

OK, maybe that's the only reason not to play it...

What are you waiting for? Go play it already!

Okay I finished this one pretty quick. I never had to climb mountains and actually had no trouble getting to the end. The only thing I didn't do was figure out how to use the crystal I found.

Was it really that easy or did I miss something? Nice mission and enjoyable but easy.

Does this fm have any inspiration from Alien, or Stargate by any chance? It creeped me out like it did in Aliens when I saw the eggs hehe

Hey, congrats NightRanger! Can't wait to play it!!

Southquarter.com/fms
    Love the map, btw.

And they just keep coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Lawviz View Post
    Does this fm have any inspiration from Alien, or Stargate by any chance? It creeped me out like it did in Aliens when I saw the eggs hehe
    Pretty obvious isn't it? My main purpose was to see how the thief engine could protray a totally different environment than you usually find (one thing I really like about cardia1's missions). You can thank Yandros for the gravity change idea.

As for the crystal you are supposed to get: Friend Steel lied, it's not for getting new metals but getting some 'addresses' which will spell big trouble if I can ever find the time for a sequel.

Just finished this mission, fantastic, definitely something different for a change, love the theme of it. Thanks!

Clearinghouse
    Congrats on the release

Congrats on releasing such a fine mission!
    Hearing Jerry Goldsmith's tunes from Alien in an T2 FM is outstanding

Thanks, I got the idea from playing Return to the Haunted Cathedral years ago when I was trying to hide from the zombies-the tune from the egg chamber started playing in my head over and over again!

I was a little put-off by the sci-fi part of the FM at first, but continued on anyways. Then I heard the familar music from Alien and thought that maybe this would be worth it after all.

It's a really short and easy FM, but it builds up suspension really well and I enjoyed it while it lasted. Good job.

The only bug I came across was when I went back into medical after the shower - a MedHypo was floating in mid-air where the doc had been standing.

I thought that this was a very interesting mission. I liked the theme I only wished that it could have been longer! Thanx for this little gem!!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkillable Cat View Post
    The only bug I came across was when I went back into medical after the shower - a MedHypo was floating in mid-air where the doc had been standing.
    That's an engine bug. It can be worked around, but doing it can be a hassle. If you go back to the starting room where the med officer has gone and look at her, the hypo will jump to her hand again, and then it will be gone from where she gave it to you.

I can't leave the complex. I got the weapons and equipment, but when I push the red button and try to leave, only the left-side door opens and I can't get through.

HEH, nevermind, I'm going to the wrong door...
    Last edited by Krush; 8th Nov 2009 at 15:55.

Quite an excellent mission. Did walk around at the beginning, as I was trying to find the 2nd floor for my equipment. Eventually found it and from then on it was straight forward.

Interesting mission with an eerie feeling towards the end.

You explained the hypodermic in the medical chamber as that was my only question.

Hope we see more of your FM's....only longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawggon View Post
    Yes, I'm very curious about all the activities on the planet. This could become a great campaign. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I like building big FM's but have found I can move faster if I keep it small and pack detail in-I think in the Batman Demo and Ice Base, I made things a little too sprawling so I changed strategy on the last couple of FM's. However I do have some bigger FM's in mind when I get back into the swing of things.

Yes, I'm very curious about all the activities on the planet. This could become a great campaign. Keep up the good work!
    I have a couple of ideas of where this can go-but after taking a break I'm probably going to do some stuff that fills in some of Anna's previous adventures to give greater depth to the character before embarking on a sequel. We'll see what happens, I just try to take things one mission at a time.

congratulations on the mission release

I swiped it from Komag (thanks!) and mirrored it to share the fun

4thplanetv4.zip and 4thplanetv4.zip

Haha that was fun NightRanger! I really like how this mission started out slow with the character interactions at the start.

Well done!

Awesome mission! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast