TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813182328 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Want An Object?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    finished this 10 object pack. it includes 6 object houses, 3 object towers and one large clocktower object. all are high quality enough be seen straight on through a fence or over the top of a wall. shapes were inspired by thief 3 buildings.

just a sample:

http://www.jasonotto.net/objects/buildings.zip

Thanks for these, they are so cool. Making the city look bigger that it is will be so much better.
    Cheers for the work you are doing Ottoj55.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I've some more ideas, wouldn't it be nice to have object windows (not the openable), stairs and a single step to build stairs? This uses so much roombrushes.
    How would single step be of any use? It uses an object instead of a brush, but both contribute to the brush count.
    Object stairs, on the other hand, which are only one object - those are a saving. However, they don't work properly and the player will slowly slide off, as anyone who's played my mission The Affairs of Wizards will attest.

Also, if you're roombrushing individual steps, you're doin it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Also, if you're roombrushing individual steps, you're doin it wrong.
    Well, teach me Mr wise guy!! (please?)

For a straight line flight of steps, I rotate the room brush on its side so that its long face aligns with the slope of the stairs and then sink it below the steps and above the ceiling ... I don't know if there is an easier way.

Last edited by LarryG; 10th Jan 2010 at 17:06.

That sounds to me like building a slide. Where come the steps?

This is the room brush that goes over the terrain brushes that make up the steps, however you decide to do that.

This site is extremely useful for working out the angles that you need to rotate a room brush to in order to align it with a certain heigh-length ratio. It's also extremely useful for aligning textures on slopes.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    stair rail objects on the other hand could be useful, balsters, rails and what not as a single object. there are some issues with the physics models, but its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post

This is the room brush that goes over the terrain brushes that make up the steps, however you decide to do that.
    I suppose this whole " roombrushing the stairs" is a joke??

if not, this looks to me like: why do it easy if there is a difficult way..

a stair... use a solid wedge ( in a room that is allready roombrushed) and carve out with airbrushes the size of the actual stairs.. -> roombrushed stairs..

If you room brush a cube and then add in the stairs you end up with sound transmitting where it does not belong. Sure on the lowest level with nothing below the stairs and nothing above, you can do it that way, but with flights of stairs you can get too much sound transmission between flights. IMHO.

Depends on the layout, but yes, that's the reason. If you had 5 steps in a street, leading up to someone's front door with nothing underneath, it wouldn't be a problem. If you've got a stairwell that holds three flights of stairs over each other, connecting four floors, you'd need to think very carefully about roombrushing. It's such a pain you can only have cuboid roombrushes. Some wedges or cylinders would be very useful in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    stair rail objects on the other hand could be useful, balsters, rails and what not as a single object. there are some issues with the physics models, but its possible.
    Yes. But they are dependent on the slope and number of the steps. You could make some standard lengths for the common .75 slope, but I don't think this type of object lends itself well to scaling. If you wanted to keep the slope, you would have to change the height of the railing whenever you change the length.

Now some nice 3ds or obj standard components and textures to make it easier to construct custom stair rails ... that would be very welcome, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    ... It's such a pain you can only have cuboid roombrushes. Some wedges or cylinders would be very useful in certain situations.
    Here, here!

stair rails almost have to be built on a per stair case basis, which is why lgs didn't do it, they built the parts. some modern games like half life 2 use object rails, but they seems to be meant for a single stair case style.

Ottoj, would you be interested in making a set of various horns and antlers for hanging on the wall--like hunting trophies?

Deer elk moose and the rest? I can try

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Q, Sat made a nice deer head, it's in Rose Cottage.

Though fantastical creature heads might be more in line than mundane ones ...

Deer... elk... moose... goat... satyrs... Whatever.

I'm looking for a multitude--think of Crown Prince Leopold's trophy-room in The Illusionist. That over the top would be wonderful.

Now that I think about it, Dromed will freak out. I wonder if it would be better to make singular panels with an assortment of antlers as one object instead of overloading the view.

Maybe this is a bad idea...

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Nah, Dark freaks at number of objects and number of terrain polys, but having a dozen hi poly objects in a room should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    For a straight line flight of steps, I rotate the room brush on its side so that its long face aligns with the slope of the stairs and then sink it below the steps and above the ceiling ... I don't know if there is an easier way.
    I just RB the entire room that contains the stairs. As long as the center is not in solid, it shouldn't make much difference.

The Architect
    Hah, Yandros, that's usually true, except when the object complexity crashes dromed's editor window. In most parts of a certain mission I have to work with the objects all set to not rendered, otherwise it's crash-city.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Hah, Yandros, that's usually true, except when the object complexity crashes dromed's editor window. In most parts of a certain mission I have to work with the objects all set to not rendered, otherwise it's crash-city.
    I had the same thing in the library in The Affairs of Wizards. PinkDot's bookcases are a killer.

So what do you do? Switch them back to Normal before the final build?

built a deer head trophy model, currently texturing it, could take a few days. this is my favorite model or all time right now.

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813182328 ... LastLast