TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper Stars

Proper Stars

EDIT: Done. See this post. Also, t2skies.

I spun off from this thread, and here's where I've gotten to.

Before:

After:

Here's a full-sized screenshot.

These are the brightest 30000 stars from the Tycho-2 Catalogue, correctly oriented. (Polaris to the north, etc.)

Just three more problems.

Firstly, for this to work, one of the newsky stars parameters has to be set to a large value. Looks like it's almost trivial to patch at least in the OMs and I don't expect FMs to be any different.

Secondly, the dark side of the moon doesn't occlude the stars. Fixable with new textures, which I might work on next if I get the rest of this working. Didn't someone already make better moon textures?

But thirdly and most importantly, three of the OMs have stars in a different orientation. How do I control that? There's no option in Dromed to control the orientation of newsky stars. The information must nevertheless exist in the mis files.
    Last edited by jermi; 10th Apr 2010 at 15:42. Reason: Pointer.

Oh... I liked the somehow snake in the middle... I prefer with wrong stars...

(because I'm an originals-fanatic )
    Hey taffers!1d+++1g+++2+++3+ H+++M+++N+++R+++T++U+Z+G++L-O=P-Q+I-K-A++B+D=X+++J++S-W++Y++C=>++E+F-V-(+)BONE+++ASSN+++LOST+++BUSH+++LIFE+++CARG+++RECV-

Which 3 OMs have different orientation?

Are you talking about DromEd's north or the compass' north?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "magnetical" northpole is sometimes offset to the "actual north".
    That could make it look like the sky has switched orientation.

Yep, if you're talking about Eavesdropping, Blackmail, Casing and Masks, then its because of the settings under Editors-> Mission Parameters-> Automap Info-> Compass offset (in degrees 0-359)

Being the grumpy old man here, but Thief is not taking place on Earth or even in our universe, so the stars should not be the same either. With this in mind, I prefer the "before" stars. I don't want to be reminded of our world when playing Thief.

Although I realize how much work you must have put into this, and it's neat seeing Orion in a Thief screenshot, I have to agree with qolelis here.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Thief is not taking place on Earth or even in our universe
    Maybe not Earth, but AFAIK there is no reference to Thief not being in our universe. I still find it odd that the combat bot mentions being here on Earth in one of it's Alert Zero broadcasts. Since the stars are seriously far away, how does one know that a similar view won't be seen in the next galaxy? Thief missions with a moon always have our moon.

The evidence points to it being an Alt-universe Earth, it has a lot of "Earth" stuff. Obviously not everything is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks View Post
    The evidence points to it being an Alt-universe Earth, it has a lot of "Earth" stuff. Obviously not everything is the same.
    Hardly conclusive. The 'original concept' was for a game called Dark Camelot. A lot of the assets from Dark Camelot simply would have made their way into Thief. Sure they used our moon, but really...some details like that are going to slip through.

The Thief world itself is not Earth, or an alternate earth. It's another planet and as such the constellations should not match the real world stars.

I prefer the 'before' stars. Sorry.

The Architect
    I prefer the Alt-Earth idea, personally. The fact that the moon is identical is enough for me. The use of all of the real astronomical charts puts the argument squarely in the Alt-Earth court, as far as I'm concerned. Nice work on the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Hardly conclusive. The 'original concept' was for a game called Dark Camelot. A lot of the assets from Dark Camelot simply would have made their way into Thief. Sure they used our moon, but really...some details like that are going to slip through.

The Thief world itself is not Earth, or an alternate earth. It's another planet and as such the constellations should not match the real world stars.

I prefer the 'before' stars. Sorry.
    There are human characters in the game, they measure time in a 12 hr clock, they use human tools etc. The chances to evolve and invent these things independently on two different planets are practically zero. The alternate Earth scenario is more likely IMO.

The original T2 stars are real Earth stars too - it says so in the NewSky tutorial.

Personally. I've always liked the post-holocaust theory, that Thief is set eons in the future recovering from some event that nearly wiped out civilization. For me that explains the mix of "magic" (sufficiently advanced technology), "high tech" (electricity, steam power, &ct.), and "low tech". It also explains the mutated animals (genetically engineered exploding frogs as a military weapon, for example).

It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Being the grumpy old man here, but Thief is not taking place on Earth or even in our universe, so the stars should not be the same either. With this in mind, I prefer the "before" stars. I don't want to be reminded of our world when playing Thief.
    This.

It's a fictional setting, it shouldn't have the same stars as we see in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxerks View Post
    Yep, if you're talking about Eavesdropping, Blackmail, Casing and Masks, then its because of the settings under Editors-> Mission Parameters-> Automap Info-> Compass offset (in degrees 0-359)
    That explains a lot. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to put the stars in their proper orientation in those three missions

The original stars are indeed real stars. The constellations are not very recognizable because the orientations are wrong and they only put in 1500 stars, half of which are of course below the horizon - including Orion, which you can see if you use stars_spin in Dromed.

Maybe it's not Earth, but the stars are essentially the same, the moon is the same, gravity is the same, atmosphere, animals, plants and people - all pretty much the same. Looks like a lot of the differences are due to mistakes, oversights, technical limitations, artistic license - you know, the top ten game development reasons of getting things wrong. Had they not meant for the stars to be real stars, they would have just generated them randomly.

I could easily just keep the original stars in their incorrect orientation and add the missing dimmer stars in the same incorrect orientation. But I'd rather do this right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    This.

It's a fictional setting, it shouldn't have the same stars as we see in reality.
    Well, with that argument it shouldn't have carrots, cucumbers, apples etc. They are also Earth things Yes Thief is a fiction, but we reflect our own world in it. Some people reflect more, others less. It's really up to the FM author.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Personally. I've always liked the post-holocaust theory, that Thief is set eons in the future recovering from some event that nearly wiped out civilization. For me that explains the mix of "magic" (sufficiently advanced technology), "high tech" (electricity, steam power, &ct.), and "low tech". It also explains the mutated animals (genetically engineered exploding frogs as a military weapon, for example).

It works for me.
    OK, now we just have to find the Statue of Liberty! We already have Apes in Dromed

Quote Originally Posted by Vasmarok View Post
    Well, with that argument it shouldn't have carrots, cucumbers, apples etc. They are also Earth things Yes Thief is a fiction, but we reflect our own world in it. Some people reflect more, others less. It's really up to the FM author.
    That's a stupid argument.
    Most fictional settings are a lot like our real one. Very few people are even capable of conceptualising something like The Gods Themselves, so authors stick close to what they know.

The thief homeworld is across the universe from our own that was populated in ancient times with humans and many plants and animals from our world via precursor stargates.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasmarok View Post
    OK, now we just have to find the Statue of Liberty! We already have Apes in Dromed
    That's just near-term post holocaust. I'm talking of seriously long-term post halocaust. The Statue of Liberty was dust long before this holocaust, that much long term. The stars have shifted --- to get back on the subject --- that long term!
    Last edited by LarryG; 15th Dec 2009 at 10:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    That's a stupid argument.
    Most fictional settings are a lot like our real one. Very few people are even capable of conceptualising something like The Gods Themselves, so AUTHORS STICK CLOSE TO WHAT THEY KNOW.
    Yes, that is EXACTLY my stupid argument. What's wrong with sticking to the human sky? Or is there a rule that you are allowed to use carrots, but not star constellations seen from the Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by NightRanger View Post
    The thief homeworld is across the universe from our own that was populated in ancient times with humans and many plants and animals from our world via precursor stargates.
    I hardly can wait for Dr Jackson appearing in one of the FMs But that argument is not bad. Did the keepers know about the stargate? Did they hide it with their glyphs from the general population? Now that the glyphs are gone, the gate could be found. I smell a sequel..... STARGATE THIEF
    Last edited by Vasmarok; 15th Dec 2009 at 11:52.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i made a working star gate with a dialing sequence on earth, ka-woosh effect, alien world and operating dhd. all the chevrons lit up and the top one moves up and down, the inner rings can spin. so dr. jackson could appear easily. but its such a knock of a well known and highly protected copyrighted work that i haven't finished it.

i'd like to implement those stars. they are really nice, and appropriate.

i made a working star gate with a dialing sequence on earth, ka-woosh effect, alien world and operating dhd. all the chevrons lit up and the top one moves up and down, the inner rings can spin. so dr. jackson could appear easily. but its such a knock of a well known and highly protected copyrighted work that i haven't finished it.

i'd like to implement those stars. they are really nice, and appropriate.
    Just use keeper glyphs instead of the gate chevrons! I'd love to see that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast