TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DNS problems?

Administrator

DNS problems?

Not sure if it's just this end but the nameservers for ttlg.com appear to be timing out meaning the only way to access the forums is by the direct IP number.

I don't know what servers are actually being used but it looks like they may be servers that Saam uses. Is there a problem with using alternative name servers?
    Last edited by Al_B; 12th May 2010 at 17:57.

Yeah, there's DNS problems and they are controlled by Saam, mainly because it's always been that way. They really do need moving.

I just keep the TTLG IP hard-coded in my hosts file these days.

New Year time for a move then. http://212.227.54.9/forums/ got me in just fine.

thanks to brokenarts I can log in. Thanks.

I'm getting that 'can't login' problem a lot the last couple of days. Doesn't seem to be happening to everyone though. (works ok through the numeric version)

You will probably need to clear your cookies.

When the DNS problems started I had to change the cookie prefix from .ttlg.com to blank, or no-one using the IP address would have been able to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yeah, there's DNS problems and they are controlled by Saam, mainly because it's always been that way. They really do need moving.
    I'm surprised this wasn't done when the forums moved to commercial hosting last year. Is there enough money left in the kitty to do it now?

Oddly, I can only log and log out once via the regular address at the moment (I'm not sure if this is per session or day or whatever. I should really test that). After which logging in doesn't work any more unless I go via the numeric address, even if I delete cookies.

My habit of logging in and out all the time is probably a bit silly anyway, but this might speak of some problem (unless I'm the only one who's got it).

*hears crickets chirping.*

Quote Originally Posted by %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    212.227.54.9 www.ttlg.com
    People never seem to learn . . .

I think there's about 4 of us here...

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    People never seem to learn . . .
    The IP didn't work for me and others. And frankly, most websites manage their DNS just fine. So it's not like this was the fault of dumb internet users. In fact a lot of us have donated to get these problems out of the way.

It needed the IP and then being pointed at the forums.
    This - http://212.227.54.9/forums/forum.php is what I used.

so the site is hosted commercially but the domain isn't registered commercially

have I got that right ?

Administrator

Not sure if it's just me but there appears to be another problem with the DNS servers. Now both ones listed for the domains (206.135.105.12 and 206.135.105.15) appear to be down. It also appears that TTLG isn't the default host for the server so access by IP address doesn't work directly.

It would be good if we could resolve the domain nameserver situation. It doesn't go wrong often but it always seems to be a bit of a pain when it does.

Having the DNS this unreliable undermines the usefulness of having a proper server.

Does anyone know what is going on with the TTLG servers? Some pages are inaccessible and others don't display properly.

Working fine for me once I re-added the IP address to my hosts file.

My hosts file is empty. What IP should be added for TTLG?

edit: well empty except for the comments at the top.
    Last edited by LarryG; 18th May 2010 at 19:11.

Administrator
    It shouldn't be completely empty - it should have some comment lines at the very least beginning with "#" at the start of the file. However, assuming you have the right file just add a line containing:

74.208.213.90 www.ttlg.com

to the end of the file. Once these DNS problems are sorted it's best to remove it, however as otherwise it will "lock" the www.ttlg.com domain to that IP address and could cause you problems if it changes in future (as it did earlier this year).

Some hosted pages such as thief-thecircle.com also won't work well at the moment as they rely on the same nameservers that are currently broken.

Got it. Did it. Works. Thanks. How will I know when the DNS problems are solved?

Tough to edit with Vista64. Had to right click on notepad.exe, run as administrator, then from in notepad, browse to the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc and open hosts, then edit it and save. You need the admin privileges to save the changes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Got it. Did it. Works. Thanks. How will I know when the DNS problems are solved?
    Start a command prompt (no need for "run as administrator") and type:

nslookup ttlg.com

If it gives you a timeout error or a server fail error then it's not working yet.

Edit: One of the two nameservers is back up now so it should be working as normal again.
    Last edited by Al_B; 19th May 2010 at 02:39.

DNS fails again

http://ttlg.ttlg.mobi/forums/ is the way to go.