TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Dark Mod FAQ

Official Dark Mod FAQ

Want to play or make a Dark Mod Fan Mission? Start here.

DARK MOD FAQ

What is The Dark Mod?

The Dark Mod (TDM) is a free, open-source, standalone stealth game.

The Dark Mod was created over a five year period by a group of Thief fans, who wanted to recapture the spirit and gameplay of Thief 1/2 in a more modern engine.

Visit our main webpage for more information, screenshots, etc.

Is it a full game?

Yes. However, when you download the mod, there are only two missions included by default. After that, you choose which maps to install using our built in mission downloader.

As of this posting there are more than 80 fan missions ready for download, including a few small campaigns.

What do I need in order to play?

All you need is to download The Dark Mod. TDM 2.0 is completely standalone. Doom3 is no longer needed.

Is this the same thing as Thief?

The gameplay is very similar, yes. You'll find all your favourite tools (rope arrows, blackjacks, flashbombs), along with familiar gameplay elements like mantling, frobbing and shouldering bodies.

However, The Dark Mod takes place in a different setting. We make no references to any Thief trademarks or Eidos' intellectual property. The Dark Mod is not "Thief"--there is no Garrett, no Keepers, no Mechanists, etc. However, since both Thief and The Dark Mod are based on a steampunk version of our own history, there are plenty of similarities, and fans of the original games will feel right at home.

See here for information on The Dark Mod's setting.

What if I want to make a mission?

Our team has also created a specialized editor--Dark Radiant--to make creating fan missions much, much easier. Visit the main Dark Radiant page here: http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/

Is there an instruction manual?

We have an extensive wiki with lots of information for players and mappers. You may wish to start with instructions about TDM Gameplay. While many things will be familiar to Thief players, there are also new features, like lockpicking, rope swinging, and object manipulation that work differently.

Where do I get more information?

The Dark Mod has its own dedicated forum. You can also get information from our webpage or wiki.
    Last edited by Springheel; 12th Dec 2015 at 08:56.

Here's an updated promotional video that gives a good overview of what TDM is all about. Also includes a glimpse of the new vine arrows in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3v1YupBC3Y

I believe there´s a standalone version available now.

Congratulations on the release. See Announcement Thread for details.
    Last edited by nickie; 13th Oct 2013 at 03:03. Reason: Changed wording to make it clearer.

Has there not been a release announcement thread at TTLG for the standalone version? Unless I missed it - seems weird that there wouldn't be one. This is a pretty important release for all those folks who skipped giving it a try based on needing to own Doom 3 previously and whatnot.

Yes, the link in my post above yours is the announcement thread but it was easy to miss so I've changed the wording.

How to uninstall TDM?

I can't get TDM missions to work, they crash out with a "malloc failure" message. I've tried various adjustments to darkmod.cfg but with no luck. I now want to get rid of TDM, but I can't find any information about what I need to do to uninstall it. Please advise how I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    I can't get TDM missions to work, they crash out with a "malloc failure" message. I've tried various adjustments to darkmod.cfg but with no luck. I now want to get rid of TDM, but I can't find any information about what I need to do to uninstall it. Please advise how I do it.
    TDM does not get 'installed', therfor there is no need for an uninstall either.
    Just delete the entire darkmod folder and you are done.
    However, I would suggest to visit the TDM forums to get some help on that.
    Either your system has too little memory .... or too much ... or something.
    http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/1...e/page__st__25

DromEd Archmage
    A question: How to install Dark Radiant with the Stand-alone version? The software ask me the path to Doom3 and not TDM...

I really want to create map for TDM later. I know how to use Radiant, but the way I installed it hoping that will work has done that no ressources are detected...
    Could you help me? Thank you!

DromEd Archmage
    Thank you!

Indeed, that help a lot ^^

First post updated to include the link to: Want to play or make a Dark Mod Fan Mission? Start here.

Direct TDM links

Sure would be nice if TDM had direct DL links.

I've been trying all week with various permutations of partial success and ultimate failure to get the mod DL'd and them DL the missions.

First I had the mod installed, but whenever I started up the mission DL function within the game it would DL a few and then freeze. So I closed it, started all over again until I suddenly realized that I was Dling the same missions over and over, that were already listed in my mission list, but relisting in the available missions to DL.

So I dont know whats causing that, but fresh installs often help. After clearing the folder and running the "updater" 20 more times I cant get the 2initial gigs to install now at all without freezing incompleted.

It would be so much easier if there were just a direct link for people having trouble with the updating app so that I could use JDL or F-rapid or something.
    It would be nice to also have direct easily selectable links to the missions for this same reason.
    They do have direct links, but its buried under a click or two for each one.
    Not as convenient as it could be.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I cant even register onto their forums, the captcha doesn't play audio or show.
    (Probably my idiot google chrome which is also nothing but argumentative.)

Love the mod,
    I'm gonna wait for the next update and try it again.
    Last edited by robthom; 6th Jul 2014 at 22:36. Reason: cant see anything

my TDM updater 0.64 is having problems to update it to 2.03, i get this error: could not downlaod from any mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by cardia1 View Post
    my TDM updater 0.64 is having problems to update it to 2.03, i get this error: could not downlaod from any mirror.
    Try downloading the latest tdm_updater from The Dark Mod site itself and delete your tdm_mirrors.txt. Then make sure your darkmod folder isn't
    set to "read only" and run the tdm_updater

Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Try downloading the latest tdm_updater from The Dark Mod site itself and delete your tdm_mirrors.txt. Then make sure your darkmod folder isn't
    set to "read only" and run the tdm_updater
    what is that thing about "ready only"?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Right-click the Dark Mod folder, select Properties, then make sure Read Only is not checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Right-click the Dark Mod folder, select Properties, then make sure Read Only is not checked.
    Thank you Russ, the updating is working now

Is there any way in TDM to make lock picking easier for us who have trouble hearing? It seems to rely heavily on sound and all I can do is guess, this takes forever to pick locks in this game. Auto or trainer do nothing that I can see to make it easier.

On the lowest setting (Auto), the lockpicking works just as in Thief.
    Simply hold the button and the lockpicking completes on its own after a while.
    You don't have to time it. Just lean back and wait.

Just want to point out that all the modetwo.net links in the initial post are dead now. )-:

Oh, look, I'm back on TTLG. Anybody remember me?
    Taffing since the 20th century

Welcome back!

I've let Springheel know about the dead links so hopefully they'll get updated soon. Thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Welcome back!

I've let Springheel know about the dead links so hopefully they'll get updated soon. Thanks for letting us know.
    Here are the fixed links for that post

Next you should follow the simple A to Z guide to make your very first tiny demo FM to get the basics: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php..._Start_Here%21

After that you are good to go to start making your first real FM. To make this easier, it is recommended that you use Startpack. This is is a set of components to start any Dark Mod map with all you need to both start and finish your FM packed ready to share. This leaves you free to focus on the fun part - building: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...ppers%27_Guide

An editing section: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...tegory:Editing
    A Dark Radiant section: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...ry:DarkRadiant
    Including a Dark Radiant must know intro: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...ow_Basic_Intro
    And a complete guide to all Dark Radiant controls: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...k_Radiant_Keys
    Need help? Go to: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php...editors-guild/

How do i get the dark mod standalone...I have downloaded the updater and ran it in a folder I named as"Dark Mod" in the games folder of my harddrive and it installed a shed load of .pk4 files but no .exe to actually run the thing...this is the first time I have tried to do this on this system..I had used th old doom game before.
    What have I done wrong please.
    Hah...found out what's wrong, McAfee!....turned off real time scanning, deleted the downloaded contents and re ran the updater and BINGO.
    Last edited by Ravenhook; 9th May 2016 at 13:35.

Anyone who can give me a hint to what's wrong?
    I have assigned key x to the creep function. But it doesn't work in the game???
    I have tried assigning other keys - same result???